Less crit damage made WvW less fun

in WvW

Posted by: Pinko.2076

Pinko.2076

Title speaks for itself. This is as unfun as sPvP now!

in WvW

Posted by: Pinko.2076

Pinko.2076

GW2 pvp set itself apart from other MMO’s because combat was fast and fluid. You could literally die as glass vs glass because you were 1/2 a second slow. That’s gone now. The game is objectively slower paced now and that’s a shame.

A thief can pop on someone, two people coordinate a burst on him, and he’s fine. We can yank a heavy out of a train, coordinate three different glass specs worth of burst on him, and he’s fine.

If this crit damage change was for PvE, then now is the time to separate game modes and return the ferocity:crit damage ratio to what it was. The “10% less overall damage” comment made by the devs is silly.

(edited by Moderator)

in WvW

Posted by: Zeke Azul Falcon.5176

Zeke Azul Falcon.5176

this makes me cry as a thief and as an dps ele.

Thief DD : DP : PD : SB
Elementalist S : DD
Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

To each their own….and 2 shotting someone is anything but fluid.

I like the change.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in WvW

Posted by: Boonprot.6274

Boonprot.6274

I like the change.

My Guardian’s WvW build ate a 42% reduction in Crit Damage. I think it’s asinine and does nothing but encourage the further abuse of condi-based builds.

Supreme Commander Boonprot, Lord Regent of the Portals
Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

used to enjoy playing my uncommon power necro but after this update i plan on going back to my perplex spamming engi

CD

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

I’m finding so far with my mesmer, after changing from a perception sigil + oil (precision) to bloodlust + stones (power), overall DPS and burst damage is about the same. However, burst damage with a power mesmer compresses many small and medium hits into a short time window. It’s not all or nothing with a single attack.

On my thief backstab damage is down considerably, but that that’s potentially good and bad. Good because no one likes fighting d/p thieves that only attack with BS over and over off combo leaps, bad because many of them might reroll dire p/d builds that are even worse to fight and difficult to down.

I agree with the comment that power builds are generally more…interesting to fight at least. You are more rewarded for build, pattern, and skill use recognition for avoiding burst attacks, while needing how and when to land yours by keeping track of their defensive skill use and estimated endurance.

The person that commented that “2 shot” builds are not interesting, true, but in a way many condi builds work the same way. With the perplexity builds in particular, you are often almost instantly in a position where you’re taking more damage than you can deal, being penalized even more for dealing damage with a confusion stack, and fighting mostly mostly ranged attacks that can be difficult to predict. Even if you have a full purge utility skill, which not all classes have access to, that’s not a win button. Neither is running -36% / 40% duration food all the time.

It just feels like the meta is headed in an even more thoughtless direction because anet really doesn’t seem to care. In my opinion they really need to be aiming towards a state where every class has a minimum of 1 viable power build, preferably more of course, with variations that are either more defensive or use condition damage for a modest amount of passive pressure. This state of the game where you have hammer train heavies running around in all PTV that can’t be killed in a reasonable amount of time without a mob gang banging them is bad. Condi builds using dire gear to do 90%+ of their damage with passive condi damage, while have a ton of toughness and vitality is in solo / small group combat is bad too.

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I like the change.

My Guardian’s WvW build ate a 42% reduction in Crit Damage. I think it’s asinine and does nothing but encourage the further abuse of condi-based builds.

It also encourages people to put less in toughness. Before, you had to put a lot into toughness to survive when roaming due to all the zerker builds. Now you can put less into the toughness, and more elsewhere, such as power. They’re trying to push people away from bunker builds.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

They had somehow to balance the healing signet nerf….
Now its a buff

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in WvW

Posted by: Seigfried.5938

Seigfried.5938

Oh well, good thing I rerolled to a condi necro

Gandara → SoS → BG → Gandara → SFR

New bunker meta sux

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I have no sympathy what so ever for people complaining about this. Critical damage nerfs = well deserved.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

Because Condi spam requires infinitely more skill ofc.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Yes GW2 players defined 1shot everyone is being pro and skillfull also, if there a fight that envolves effort is bad lol…

Also this:

I have no sympathy what so ever for people complaining about this. Critical damage nerfs = well deserved.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: ryandeniszorro.6735

ryandeniszorro.6735

Yes GW2 players defined 1shot everyone is being pro and skillfull also, if there a fight that envolves effort is bad lol…

Also this:

Pls post link to vid where any class can 1 shot any other class , where u dont have lvl 1 naked ele as target (sorry for choosing ele , but i feel those guys are really in bad position atm).
And i believe your “fight that envolves” is more easily defined as trow random condies and kite around, thats really so , skillful.

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

ryandeniszorro.6735 for example zerker rifle war was able to oneshot mesmer or thief. I did it a lot of times, but it involved that they should not know of me so they wont be able to dodge or block my burst skill.
I laughed a lot of some thieves that seen me channeling burst skill and went to stealth to make me loose target. That dont work on channeling skills.

in WvW

Posted by: ManaCraft.5630

ManaCraft.5630

Meh. Given that physical builds were the winners of the ascended lottery anyway, and that stats are much more easy to come by in WvW, I personally think they made the right call.

Condis have problems too, but that’s a separate issue requiring different solutions.

in WvW

Posted by: JoeVmt.1357

JoeVmt.1357

My mesmar still drops people in a couple of seconds. I see no problem in the damage nerf.

in WvW

Posted by: Pavel.5192

Pavel.5192

Pls post link to vid where any class can 1 shot any other class , where u dont have lvl 1 naked ele as target

as you wish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP_PygvTg8g or find other “gw2 warrior sniper build” video

4ever roaming

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

That video is simply magical, Pavel.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Posted by: BulletNG.7069

BulletNG.7069

Personally I always hated having those annoying solo thiefs hiding near spawn picking off people and instantly running away when they’re about to lose. I think this tactic should stay in sPVP as it does not belong in WvW. Yes it may be a unique tactic to help benefit your server but I highly doubt that’s why people like you do this…

Yes solo roaming has it’s benefits in WvW but again I’m almost positive most solo thieves don’t care about their own servers score when they do things like this.

Zerker nerf was well needed. Thank you Anet.

Dawn of Dementia [DUI] – Yak’s Bend
Formerly: Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] – Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

i managed to pull of a 10k backstab on a guardian (most of my backstabs usually crit between 9k and 11k depending on buffs/bloodlust stacks), and had no issue dropping people as usual in WvW. I haven’t thoroughly looked at all the numbers but after one night of WvW with the new patch i’m not as concerned as i was pre-patch.

in WvW

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

ryandeniszorro.6735 for example zerker rifle war was able to oneshot mesmer or thief. I did it a lot of times, but it involved that they should not know of me so they wont be able to dodge or block my burst skill.
I laughed a lot of some thieves that seen me channeling burst skill and went to stealth to make me loose target. That dont work on channeling skills.

hush dont spread that knowledge around.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Boonprot.6274

I like the change.

It also encourages people to put less in toughness. Before, you had to put a lot into toughness to survive when roaming due to all the zerker builds. Now you can put less into the toughness, and more elsewhere, such as power. They’re trying to push people away from bunker builds.

Except by nerfing the glassy builds, they’ve directly encouraged condi builds, which are much harder to counter. Especially in a small-man setting.

Also, I was talking about raiding. Reasonable people weren’t running bunker builds in raids. You rarely saw that outside of T1 and some of the less experienced guilds. My previous guardian raid build’s stats were: 1900 Power, 30% Crit Chance, 80% Crit Damage, 3k Armor, 19.5k HP, and 850 Healing Power. Now my crit damage is more than halved, and there’s little hope I’ll be able to coax it much above 60%. Balanced builds are essentially neutered, and the “build diversity” this change promised will likely do exactly the opposite.

The upside is that boon duration double stab frontlines can no longer count on nigh on 100% stab uptime. You’ll have to actually move intelligently, which some guilds are already struggling with judging from last night. It’s pretty hilarious to watch.

Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

I like the change.

Well given the amount of condi-hate in WvW (my warrior alone can remove 5 conditions on 5 players every 20 seconds) it was about time that condition builds got a bit of a buff.

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

After doing some testing, it turns out to be a 25% or so overall dps nerf, not 10%. Tested this for about 3hrs yesterday in WvW.

In saying that though, I also noticed other builds may have taken a harder hit than full zerk. As a glass cannon myself, before this patch, I’d be downed in 2-4 hits from tanky enemies. Now it looks like I can take a minimum of 6-8 hits before being downed.

I suppose overall I don’t mind the change though I would like my damage back.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The good news is the condi pressure has seen an improvement in some builds thanks to the sigil rework. Condi-bunker has been replacing zerk roamers for a while now and this will just push it right over.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Boonprot.6274

I like the change.

Well given the amount of condi-hate in WvW (my warrior alone can remove 5 conditions on 5 players every 20 seconds) it was about time that condition builds got a bit of a buff.

Condi was never an issue in large-man because the combined cleansing ability of 15-30 people was more than enough to deal with a necro/engi/mesmer or four. Everyone knew this; it’s not new knowledge. Where it was/is an issue, though, is in small-man, e.g. WvW and sPvP. In those situations, very few classes can actually match the condi application rate that most condi builds can put out. Warrior is one of those classes. Surprisingly, Guardian is not.

Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: SmoothHussler.6387

SmoothHussler.6387

it was about time that condition builds got a bit of a buff.

Why man.

Maguuma: Thug Life: [DERP][ME][PYRO] and other assorted dead guilds.

in WvW

Posted by: MSFone.3026

MSFone.3026

I’m happy with the change (and I don’t play condition).

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

Well I’ve hardly played this game for months but nerfing critical damage across the board seems like a very odd change in terms of PvP balance.

It’s definltely not a “10% less overall damage” which would have had to be done though power or armor to be true. It’s a heavy nerf specifically for zerker builds and essentially no change for bunkers. So it makes sense if it was aimed at PvE and not PvP (WvW). It seemed there was already a difficult but generally good balance between offense and defense as it was. Not even considering balance between direct and condition damage.

I guess we’ll see how it plays out with time. Anet has certainly made big mistakes in the past that they ended up partially reverting.

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube

in WvW

Posted by: Bratwa.6582

Bratwa.6582

I like the change.

But what is with condi bunkers, especially Dire specced builds, how does nerfing crit damage push them away from their bunker builds?

[TaG][PunK][II]guildless

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

@ Those saying condition builds require no skill.. Lol.
What, kiting doesn’t take effort but standing eye to eye and mashing away at people does? It’s two sides of the same coin… Neither are particularly skillful, end of story. It’s a flaw with the games design in that player versus player combat is very hazy when it comes to defining what’s skilled and what isn’t.
Either way I stand by my previous statement. Crit damage nerf = well deserved. You probably rolled a zerk in the first place because conditions weren’t as good, now you’re going to roll a condition build because zerk isn’t as good… Adapt and stop crying nerf or we’ll all eventually be wearing foam helmets and throwing bubblewrap at each other.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

@ Those saying condition builds require no skill.. Lol.
What, kiting doesn’t take effort but standing eye to eye and mashing away at people does? It’s two sides of the same coin… Neither are particularly skillful, end of story. It’s a flaw with the games design in that player versus player combat is very hazy when it comes to defining what’s skilled and what isn’t.
Either way I stand by my previous statement. Crit damage nerf = well deserved. You probably rolled a zerk in the first place because conditions weren’t as good, now you’re going to roll a condition build because zerk isn’t as good… Adapt and stop crying nerf or we’ll all eventually be wearing foam helmets and throwing bubblewrap at each other.

some ppl prefer in your face gameplay (zerk/dps/whatever) and some prefer attrition. i don’t think that people would choose zerk over condition because conditions aren’t as good. anyway in GW2 there is no skill – it is all people cheesing it up with meta builds and abusing class mechanics (stealth, healing signet, etc) for an advantage. ANet doesn’t seem to care. Nerfing critical damage will make conditions increasingly popular. It is only a matter of time before the majority is on board with nerfing conditions.

CD

in WvW

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

I like the change.

But what is with condi bunkers, especially Dire specced builds, how does nerfing crit damage push them away from their bunker builds?

He’s saying that since there’s universally less power-based damage around now, the toughness attribute is less important and dire pieces can be swapped out with carrion for a little extra damage. It’s a plausible idea, but I think most people will still continue to run dire for survivability because larger groups will likely remain power-based.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

They’re trying to push people away from bunker builds.

They’re not trying anything. This nerf is merely a side effect of the way they’re dealing with zerkers in PvE.