Megaserver

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

I know we don’t really speak well of the CDIs at times, but they did make a post addressing how they understand the World Identity is too important based on player feedback, so I don’t know that they would change something in that direction. Of course all we can do for now is speculate.

To quell speculation early, that is not what we are doing. The announcement will have more info, but we are absolutely not getting rid of worlds and putting everyone into an EotM type system.

This is very sad news and a bad design decision. The only 2 options I see left on the table are grouping servers together on one side and of course just merging servers. The first option will not in anyway fix the coverage problem as SEA/EU coverage will still be on 1-2 servers. The second option effectively destroys the server communities of all but 3 worlds and once again does not fix the coverage issue. Maybe if you bring EU servers into the fold, but I believe long ago that was stated as not possible.

Unless of course you don’t think there is a problem with current population/coverage issues…that of course means we have an even bigger issue. Then again you guys thought another WvW tournament was a good idea, it’s not even a tournament since higher wvw population servers win, almost all current matchups are blowouts that are in no way fun. That of of course brings us back to the question then of, what are you going to do about the population/coverage issues that basically ruin any competition in WvW?

You are completely wrong. This is a great decision. Just because you do not have any server pride, a lot of others do.

Where you are correct is that longer term population differences need to be taken into account. Personally, I’d prefer to see a change to the scoring system to address that.

How do you propose that population issues get handled? How is changing the scoring system going to account for huge population differences? Scoring changes would only help in cases where the fights are already relatively close. The blowouts that normally happen would still be blowouts, unless of course that you weight the system so much and negate huge amounts of effort for the side that was winning. I don’t think I have to explain how that would be bad or end up getting abused.

In order for scoring changes to be effective the population needs to be condensed. That of course brings us to the crux of the issue, how do you condense the population with server pride standing in the way?

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

It’s terrible news for WvW. So many of us go to LA or Gendarran Fields to ask for help in WvW when it’s needed. Just going to screw a lot of PvE heavy servers over

This problem could be mitigated if we were provided with a “server chat” option that would only go out to people on our home server for things like this and guild recruiting, since that will still be server-based, too.

A server wide chat tab was asked for early on in the BWE’s and there was some reason then it wasn’t feasible (think it had something to do with WvW and PvE maps being on different servers) but I really hope it has changed and is possible now because that always seemed like a very good idea to me. Not just for WvW purposes either, it would have a multitude of uses to help keep the community tight in the face of megaservers and be easy enough to filter out for those who do not want to participate.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Pretty ridiculous how little info was given in the blog post about wvw, except that it was going to stay the same

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Pretty ridiculous how little info was given in the blog post about wvw, except that it was going to stay the same

Little info = little action. Nothing to be surprised about.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Berk.8561

Berk.8561

A server wide chat tab was asked for early on in the BWE’s and there was some reason then it wasn’t feasible (think it had something to do with WvW and PvE maps being on different servers) but I really hope it has changed and is possible now because that always seemed like a very good idea to me. Not just for WvW purposes either, it would have a multitude of uses to help keep the community tight in the face of megaservers and be easy enough to filter out for those who do not want to participate.

I wasn’t actually suggesting a server-wide chat (though that could be nice, perhaps limited to people with commander tags, which would put some limit on it). What I as suggesting was a version of map chat that would only be seen by people on a map who belong to your server. So anything you said in Wayfarer Foothills in server chat would only be seen by people in Wafare Foothills that were from your server. That should be much more feasible for them to implement.

Kerzic [CoI] – Ranger – Eredon Terrace

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It’s pretty clear they’re going to get rid of servers a la EoTM. They just won’t admit it at the moment in order to keep people from jumping ship right now to the new MMOs coming out.

With megaservers rendering servers obsolete in PvE, servers in WvW is going to be unsustainable — people won’t even know what WvW server they’re on.

The failed EoTM is the future of WvW.

EOTM isn’t a fail, its a very nice map with fun to capture objectives. The problem is that the colours do not mean anything and that it doesn’t affect the score. What they need to do is simple:
A guild should decide to be part of one of 3 alliances of guilds for WvW, they should keep the current match-up going but players should be able to guest on other WvW matchups representing the same side. Well anyway, this is what ESO has done and it works miracle.

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Babacloanta.7640

Babacloanta.7640

“…With megaserver technology, there are as many copies of a map as are needed to comfortably hold the population of players in that map at a given time.”
Nice thing, then just make one more copy of world to hold guilds and let them fight for supremacy (no score).

MEHMER – Seafarer’s Rest [EU]
Member of [DEEP]

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

It’s pretty clear they’re going to get rid of servers a la EoTM. They just won’t admit it at the moment in order to keep people from jumping ship right now to the new MMOs coming out.

With megaservers rendering servers obsolete in PvE, servers in WvW is going to be unsustainable — people won’t even know what WvW server they’re on.

EOTM isn’t a fail, its a very nice map with fun to capture objectives. The problem is that the colours do not mean anything and that it doesn’t affect the score. What they need to do is simple:
A guild should decide to be part of one of 3 alliances of guilds for WvW, they should keep the current match-up going but players should be able to guest on other WvW matchups representing the same side. Well anyway, this is what ESO has done and it works miracle.

I wish there were alliances with a MEANING and benefits for GUILDS. Both are lacking in this game. It’s a total letdown.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

What I as suggesting was a version of map chat that would only be seen by people on a map who belong to your server. So anything you said in Wayfarer Foothills in server chat would only be seen by people in Wafare Foothills that were from your server.

I really like this idea.

One of the problem I have with the “mega server” and /m chat is that things like big WvW events can’t be coordinated. If we’re spamming the map of a highly populated area with “Join us at 8pm EST for a BIG push on Kaineng in WvW”, then it’s entirely possible that we will have a giant KN zerg waiting for us at spawn as we all come out.

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

What I as suggesting was a version of map chat that would only be seen by people on a map who belong to your server. So anything you said in Wayfarer Foothills in server chat would only be seen by people in Wafare Foothills that were from your server.

I really like this idea.

One of the problem I have with the “mega server” and /m chat is that things like big WvW events can’t be coordinated. If we’re spamming the map of a highly populated area with “Join us at 8pm EST for a BIG push on Kaineng in WvW”, then it’s entirely possible that we will have a giant KN zerg waiting for us at spawn as we all come out.

That actually might not be a bad thing. Get all three servers to get more people out in WvW. We could start organizing fights between actual players and not just doors.

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Reslinal.2359

Reslinal.2359

No offense, but before you start praising ESO’s system you probably should wait couple months, the system there is not even tested so no idea how “it works miracle”. From I read it seems it already began to have population imbalance issues just a week after head-start (now that might change too, but we really don’t know how it’s going to pan out until enough time is given).

Blackgate Engineer

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Introducing the Megaserver System
by Colin Johanson and Samuel Loretan on April 2, 2014

What about World Bosses, Guilds, and WvW?
Later this week, we’ll be discussing how our transition to the megaserver system will affect the timing of world bosses and some changes we’re making to support this. We’ll also be discussing the long-term plan for guilds and WvW in relation to our megaserver system, so check back each day this week for more information!

The Megaserver System: Guilds and the Future
by Colin Johanson on April 3, 2014

The Megaserver System and the Future of WvW
Though we are moving to our new megaserver model in PvE, it’s extremely important to us that we maintain the level of identity and competition in WvW that we’ve established since the release of Guild Wars 2. The entire game mode is based on battles between different players aligned to the named worlds, and as such we have no plans to remove this concept from WvW.

It doesn’t really sound to me like there’s anything that’s going to change for WvW, except that maybe guilds that transfer worlds won’t lose their influence and guild upgrades.

This doesn’t sound like there’s any real news with respect to WvW.

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

No offense, but before you start praising ESO’s system you probably should wait couple months, the system there is not even tested so no idea how “it works miracle”. From I read it seems it already began to have population imbalance issues just a week after head-start (now that might change too, but we really don’t know how it’s going to pan out until enough time is given).

I’ve also heard that omniblobs are running rampant over there.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

I really like this idea.

That actually might not be a bad thing. Get all three servers to get more people out in WvW. We could start organizing fights between actual players and not just doors.

Well, since we’re already outnumbered, the hope is to at least get comparable numbers. The enemy doesn’t need any more prompting or prodding.

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Introducing the Megaserver System
by Colin Johanson and Samuel Loretan on April 2, 2014

….

This doesn’t sound like there’s any real news with respect to WvW.

Probably they originally planned to make it EotM like and then Devon got convinced in the CDI that this isn’t a good thing, such that they are currently still (again) in the design phase.

Btw.: I did not read about it, but for EotM the mega-server concept would definitely be a strong improvement over the current overflow concept.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Insight.1683

Insight.1683

I just want the lag going away with the megaserver… i want big fights on EB without that kittening lag o/

[WP][TW] – Arguns

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

What they need to do is develop some PvP thats bigger than sPvP but smaller than WvW. And then gate it so that it is exactly even.

Something similar to Fort Aspenwood back in GW1. In fact, just bring back Fort Aspenwood – its perfect. Make it 10 v 10. Or 15 v 15.

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I’ve also heard that omniblobs are running rampant over there.

The ESO PvP map is more than 25 times the size of EB in GW2. Zergs are really not an issue and there are very well design choke points.

You can see the population of each alliances on every campaign and players can guest on the campaign they wish for balanced play.

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Please stay on topic. If you wish to discuss ESO, please take it to the ESO forums. Thank you.

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Betrayer of Hopes.9124

Betrayer of Hopes.9124

Can we choose and change version of map like we can choose and change districts in Gw1?

Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Isaac.6041

Isaac.6041

Another thing about unified guild chapters (with the possible exception of NA/EU split) is the handling of Art of War upgrades for different worlds. Are the +5 supply, power, precision , toughness, fort swiftness and magic find, and other buffs going to be activated on every world?

The economy upgrades like +10% magic find, karma, gold sounds like it will apply to all megaserver instances which is great but got to wonder about the War upgrades also the guild golems and guild catapults.