Night capping - final solution

in WvW

Posted by: BigAlien.3128

BigAlien.3128

Here’s my crazy, never going to implemented in a million years idea:
Change the day/night cycle so that it matches up with the local time. So in the EU, have night time start at, say, 11 pm CEST and it stays night through to 6 am or something. Or maybe have the “night” start at varying times – sometimes it’s in the middle of the night, sometimes it’s at primetime. I dunno, I’m making this up as I go.
Anyway, next change “night” so that it’s properly dark, so that you need to use a torch to see anything, and the towers and keeps are distant, glowing islands of light in a sea of darkness.
Finally, at “night” make the monsters come out. Rather than 3 lame wolves that everyone ignores, have a pack of 20 that roam around at random, or some other hungry creatures on random paths around the maps. And have them scale depending on the size of the groups they encounter, to try and stop a big zerg rolling over the top of them.
Make the night time dangerous. Sure, your group might be able to take down a tower or a keep without much resistance, but to get there you’re going to have to take a few risks.

So that’s my ridiculous notion to change things up a bit. Utterly absurd, I know, but I’d rather something fun like this than trying to limit when and where people can play, or some convoluted points system.

Not the face!

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Another idea:

ANY possession without a minimal amount of players (e.g. points/level, e.g. SM 35/T1 = 35 people SM/T3 = 12 people) inside turn neutral instead of producing a score at each ticker.

You can roam the map at night, but if you do not place garrisons into your possessions they turn neutral and do not produce a score.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

Just give it up. This is a international game and it’s just the way things work.

Besides, if you are the type of mouthbreather who’s obsessed with PPT; you are clearly only days away from farming enough gold to make your transfer to BG anyhow. So there is no need to change things to suit your needs.

This is an international game and it sucks when someone beats you through PvD, but as fortunes change and populations move around; most of the non-NA teams are migrating to the top tiers.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

This is an international game and it sucks when someone beats you through PvD, but as fortunes change and populations move around; most of the non-NA teams are migrating to the top tiers.

And as anyone want to be on the winner side we end with 1 server having all WvW-people. Great matches in future 695:0:0 from start to end, a win-win for all, and no more losers.

And it even works as everyone will go to EotM then, where you can play balanced matches all around the clock.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

People with solutions need to think about bonuses to the losing teams not penalizing the winning team.

I already stated before give bonuses to those who are out manned, or own the orbs.

You cannot penalize points or play times for players, it’s not their fault the other servers they face don’t have the coverage.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Dayra.7405

You cannot penalize points or play times for players, it’s not their fault the other servers they face don’t have the coverage.

Where is the penalty for them in:

Another idea:

ANY possession without a minimal amount of players (e.g. points/level, e.g. SM 35/T1 = 35 people SM/T3 = 12 people) inside turn neutral instead of producing a score at each ticker.

You can roam the map at night, but if you do not place garrisons into your possessions they turn neutral and do not produce a score.

In fact it is an advantage for them, they still have something to capture, even if they would have reached 695:0:0 in the current system.

It just results in less influence of PvD-Karma-Trains on match outcome. No penalty et al for their game fun.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Better solution: Stop worrying so much about the score and let people play the way they want.

in WvW

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Without SoS OCX/SEA, you NA lot wouldn’t get much done during NA prime. Or did you forget about us?

Edit to add SEA.

(edited by Have No Faith In Me.1840)

in WvW

Xenesis.6389

I’m stating in general people should not think of penalties but rewards to keep scores closer, there are other posts stating to penalize points, I’ve seen it over and over again.

North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Too many people getting caught up in the terminology. Forget about the word “night”. The issue is coverage imbalance – whether its morning, noon, or night where you are during your playtime is irrelevant.

And it was the single greatest issue mentioned by the playerbase in the CDI.

If you’re going to have game mechanics that require effort – i.e. upgrading structures for defense – and then have an issue where that effort is completely wasted then you’re going to have problems.

Its not just that the effort was countered or defeated or someone outplayed you, it was completely, utterly, totally wasted due to coverage imbalance. You may as well not have done it – and been richer for it. This is the problem.

in WvW

Posted by: Alvain.7364

Alvain.7364

I fully support method 2.

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Have to disagree here. Its a 24 hour fight. Prime time is all the time. If a server doesn’t have coverage its their own fault. 2 AM, 2PM, same importance. To penalize people because they play at different times then you is ludicrous.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in WvW

Xenesis.6389

Method 1 is out for me, I don’t agree to penalizing servers on points gain.

The problem is figuring out the prime time for each and every server, and not only that but it will fluctuate as not everyone logs on at the same times every time. And what about north american servers than have an outstanding night time presence such as sea of sorrows?

This is why they will not do such a solution, the only other way to activate bonuses is from actual triggered event that can help a side such as when outmanned comes up, apply the bonuses to those maps that have that buff on.

in WvW

Posted by: snacktime.1082

snacktime.1082

The whole PPT system is just fundamentally poorly designed. It’s not fixable. It feels almost like an afterthought. The whole notion of server vs server stems from technical limitations that no longer exist. PPT was just slapped on top of that poor design.

Contrast this game to Eve Online. I’m not saying copy everything they do, but they have a system for large scale player driven conflict that was well designed, and has proven to have longevity. There is much a game like this would have done well to copy.

So basically, we just have to live with what we have and make the best of it. Anet is not going to make radical changes to wvw, it’s just not going to happen. Anet is most likely busy working on their next game, and their best and brightest are on that, not on gw2.

in WvW

Posted by: Sin.4130

Sin.4130

Better solution: Stop worrying so much about the score and let people play the way they want.

Part of fun is gaining good score or defending T3 keeps, all of this with night cappers from other time zones is ruined.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Your night is someone else’s day. Why ruin the game for them?

It’s clear Anet doesn’t care about WvW enough to do anything about population/coverage issues. The best you can do is ignore the overall PPT and just focus on helping your server do well when you personally are logged on.

in WvW

Sin.4130

It’s clear Anet doesn’t care about WvW enough to do anything about population/coverage issues. The best you can do is ignore the overall PPT and just focus on helping your server do well when you personally are logged on.

It is no excuse. They have made national servers like DE, FR, some servers are dominated by only one nationality (like mine). There is no chance to get english speaking guilds there. This is just broken. Don’t tell me to have fun when you can’t do basic things like updraging keeps, towers etc. because of few Yankees with few golems riding empty borders at night

(edited by Sin.4130)

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Just let players from same (nearest) time – zones play together 24/7. It is so simple that I can’t understand why it is not implemented yet.

I’m not surprised. The lack of overall understanding you’re displaying in this thread is staggering.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Sin.4130

Just let players from same (nearest) time – zones play together 24/7. It is so simple that I can’t understand why it is not implemented yet.

I’m not surprised. The lack of overall understanding you’re displaying in this thread is staggering.

Yes mr. smart guy, you put much to discussion

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Poor Australian players. They dont have any server.

Fit them to nearest time zone

Simple solution: Servers only available to play during the Australians prime time cause obviously we are the center of the world and no other time zone exists, if you don’t live in Australia then stiff kitten.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

No one cares about australians playing against australians or americans playing against americans or ….

The only thing that players hate is that the amount of australians on your server is decisive for your (non-australian) players to win, whereas your 10 times as large amount of NA or EU players does not matter et al.

Just separate the matches:
8 hour for pacific prime, 8 hours for NA prime, 8 hours for EU prime, switch match every 8 hours, still each match runs 7 times 8 hours.

in WvW

Posted by: BirdSong.2541

BirdSong.2541

I am EU and I play on NA despite the high ping simply because Americans are easy to troll. I mean seriously, you make 1 cupcake joke and the whole thing explodes. Its excellent.

Attachments:

Commander Rob
ZoS Guild
Northern Shiverpeaks Nightcrew

in WvW

Posted by: Fannwong.3059

Fannwong.3059

Hello Sin,

It’s not implemented because there are folks from one region who can only play on another time zone (night shift folks etc). Some players don’t have luxury of choice vs those in schools or on normal hours. Anet (and 100% MMO companies) knew it would be unwise to exclude them other than for sake of regional rights (like GW2 China).

FW

[SoX] – JQ

in WvW

Posted by: Esprit Dumort.3109

Esprit Dumort.3109

I live in NA, but play on an EU server because that’s where my friends are. Anet forcing people to only play with nearest time zones would prevent me and MANY others from playing with their friends. Anet would find that their player base would shrink quite drastically.

Jessamine [SNOW]
Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

It is no excuse. They have made national servers like DE, FR, some servers are dominated by only one nationality (like mine). There is no chance to get english speaking guilds there. This is just broken. Don’t tell me to have fun when you can’t do basic things like updraging keeps, towers etc. because of few Yankees with few golems riding empty borders at night

Anet isn’t going to do anything about it because they just don’t care about WvW (did that sound too much like Kanye West?).

That’s why you just do the best you can when you personally are online and ignore the rest (not necessarily easy) — particularly overall PPT score. And when a WvW-like game comes along where the devs actually care about the game mode, you quit and play that instead.

in WvW

Sin.4130

Anet isn’t going to do anything about it because they just don’t care about WvW (did that sound too much like Kanye West?).

That’s why you just do the best you can when you personally are online and ignore the rest (not necessarily easy) — particularly overall PPT score. And when a WvW-like game comes along where the devs actually care about the game mode, you quit and play that instead.

Good point ANet should be aware of that.

I live in NA, but play on an EU server because that’s where my friends are. Anet forcing people to only play with nearest time zones would prevent me and MANY others from playing with their friends. Anet would find that their player base would shrink quite drastically.

Surely u can find many friends In your US neiberhood. Do those European friends of yours play at 5 AM or sleep? How often do you see them?

in WvW

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

‘Stop living in a different time zone to me! You’re violating my game mode!!’

in WvW

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

Yeah, but now NA PST have and advantage over NA EST. And then if they get a Hawaian guild, balance gets thrown out the window.

[DONE]

in WvW

Posted by: Esprit Dumort.3109

Esprit Dumort.3109

Surely u can find many friends In your US neiberhood. Do those European friends of yours play at 5 AM or sleep? How often do you see them?

You must not understand the concept of friendship, to make a comment about having friends that only live within a timezone or two. My game-time overlaps quite a bit with my EU counterparts, it’s not as different as you assume.

The beauty of the internet and MMO’s is allowing people from around the world play together, and arbitrarily restricting who you can play with, by timezones or time of play, totally ignores and insults players who don’t conform to a “prime time” schedule.

Honest question: Are you trolling? Because your comments are so close-minded, that it seems that way.

Jessamine [SNOW]
Gandara

in WvW

Sin.4130

You must not understand the concept of friendship, to make a comment about having friends that only live within a timezone or two. My game-time overlaps quite a bit with my EU counterparts, it’s not as different as you assume.

The beauty of the internet and MMO’s is allowing people from around the world play together, and arbitrarily restricting who you can play with, by timezones or time of play, totally ignores and insults players who don’t conform to a “prime time” schedule.

Honest question: Are you trolling? Because your comments are so close-minded, that it seems that way.

You just can’t understand what WvW is all about, btw this is separate GW2 mode, you can visit your friends by questing etc. Other time zones ruin balance just in this mode.

Especially when national servers like DE, FR are putted on

(edited by Sin.4130)

in WvW

Posted by: Echoplex.6284

Echoplex.6284

ANET should just shut off servers when I’m logged off. It’s so unfair that other people can cap keeps and farm champs when I can’t.

in WvW

Posted by: noelclover.9408

noelclover.9408

You just can’t understand what WvW is all about, btw this is separate GW2 mode, you can visit your friends by questing etc. Other time zones ruin balance just in this mode.

Especially when national servers like DE, FR are putted on

And he can do that in WvW. Some people enjoy WvWing with their friends after all.

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink” :)
-John Smith

in WvW

Posted by: vanzan.1250

vanzan.1250

You have proposed solution for a single time-zone. This is a global game played on servers in two regions which cover all time-zones. Unless there are more regions to cover more time-zones for the current scoring method your solution becomes a big problem.

However If the scoring method was broken up by time-zones, then winners could be determined by time-zones and not by a combined servers total across all timezones. In the end we can talk till the cows come home, nothing is going to change.

in WvW

Sin.4130

And he can do that in WvW. Some people enjoy WvWing with their friends after all.

If you think there is a perfect system just write about it. Surely what we have got now is unacceptable.

(edited by Sin.4130)

in WvW

noelclover.9408

I don’t think it’s unacceptable. It certainly isn’t perfect, but nothing ever is. If ANet tweaked something, a part of the population would whine while the other supports them. It happens all the time in every game, in every part of every other game.

I’m living in Malaysia. I play in NA with my beloved guildies-friends. Sometimes I get to run with a few of them for a little while and sometimes I don’t even get that little while. Sometimes I’m on the “night crew”, running all alone and taking camps, listening to map reports to dodge zergs and hoping I’m doing a good job so that my server and guild mates would come back to a nice-looking scoreboard.

Would I love to WvW with my guildies all day long?

I sure as hell would.

Is it a realistic expectation of which I should demand ANet allow me?

Of course not.

It’s an international game. Not everyone is living in the same timezone. Let that sink in to your head a bit and start thinking again.

PS: On an related-yet-off topic since this deals with time zones, I don’t even get to do Guild Challenges with my guildies. I have only 2 commendations, after spending what I managed to get way back on a Guild Shield. It’s my personal character and I am a helluva lot more entitled to whine about it than you do about people playing WvW for their server on their own time. And I’m not complaining.

-John Smith

(edited by Moderator)

in WvW

noelclover.9408

To the people who complain about Night Capping:

To the people who play on your Night Crew, it could be the morning or afternoon. Which in turn means that you’re part of the Night Crew in their eyes.

kittening Night Cappers. Stop capping them points when it’s not my playtime! D<

See how stupid that was?

That’s you. That’s what you sound like when you complain about “night capping”.

-John Smith

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Poor Australian players. They dont have any server.

They are fit into the nearest time zone.. which just happens to be in the middle of the night NA or early morning EU. Closest physical server for best latency is NA.

How about this for a final solution:
Deal with it.

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

i “work” all night with my teammates to get stuff to tier3 just to lose it in the morning to 20 ppl with no effort, so lets do something about that for people who play at night due for not having a 9 to 5 job

When I get home from work it’s midnight on the west coast NA and 6am for the UK, I have a choice of 300ms latency to a NA server or 500ms to an EU server because we do not have any Oceanic servers. How do you propose this be fixed? Would you prefer that I take back all your stuff while you are at work or would you prefer it if I take it all back while you sleep?

in WvW

Posted by: Echoplex.6284

Echoplex.6284

The term “nightcapping” is in itself a selfish term, because for all you know the people playing while you sleep could be playing at their respective prime times.

It’s so funny looking at these people who don’t even know that we live in a world that’s ROUND

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i’m from south east asia.. yeah, i hate it when people capping my towers when i go to sleep during MY night….

perhaps ANET should close down WvW during MY night ? huh ?

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

This thread is so 2012.

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

What’s up with people getting personal? Does this hurt you so badly?

Just to clear things up, I’m not American, and I have no idea why these people are being so biased against Americans. How about keeping on the topic?

So, here is the first thing I recommend for everyone: Read the thread. Stop reading the title, and actually read the text. It is not hard really.

But since you won’t do that, once more here it is:

- Currently nightcappers (or morning cappers, whatever) are being rewarded far more or their efforts then they should be

- A match-ups outcome depending on 20 people / server is not cool

- The suggestion posted will not harm you in any way for 1 – it is a suggestion, 2- you still contribute (more) this way then anyone playing at daytime

- If you seriously think that running around with 5 golems against no defence what so ever is ok, then to you my thread is pointless

I mean. At a boxing match, would you punch the opponent during the breaks?

in WvW

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Every time you complain about night capping, an oceanic guild burns a garrison. Save the garrisons; stop complaining about a 24/7 game mode being played 24/7.

in WvW

Bubi.7942

Every time you complain about night capping, an oceanic guild burns a garrison. Save the garrisons; stop complaining about a 24/7 game mode being played 24/7.

And that’s fine. But don’t let that mean more when I burn a Garri.

in WvW

noelclover.9408

-snip-

But since you won’t do that, once more here it is:

- Currently nightcappers (or morning cappers, whatever) are being rewarded far more or their efforts then they should be

- The suggestion posted will not harm you in any way for 1 – it is a suggestion, 2- you still contribute (more) this way then anyone playing at daytime

- If you seriously think that running around with 5 golems against no defence what so ever is ok, then to you my thread is pointless

Read it.

Still the same point. I think you’re making quite a few assumptions, especially with point 1 and 2. Being in the “night crew” I can tell you that some servers I’ve played against had very strong “night crews” as well, arguably better than the “morning” ones. Using your first point, I’d put out the same argument to you.

Point 2 is an assumption as stated above. I do agree that it’s not cool though. So get a better night shift team together. You’ve a challenge ahead of you. It’s WvW, a constant state of war. Asking that the opponent relent it’s charge instead of preparing your own defenses (As in night shift team. Not better walls.) is your responsibility.

Point 3 is right and wrong. Right in that it’s a suggestion. Wrong in that it doesn’t hurt us who play on your… “off shifts”. Given the scenario I gave earlier, in that I’ve faced worlds with unrelenting “night crews”, I should be rewarded just as much as you for my efforts. Rewarding me less is making a mockery of my efforts to retain, if not capture and further, my server’s points. You’re making a suggestion based on an assumption.

Final point: It’s not okay. However what you’re doing is like being a villager that complains about getting raided by vikings and being unable to defend it because you don’t train anyone to guard the gates when you’re asleep. Silly.

Also: No I wouldn’t. But there’s no break time in WvW. You go off shift, I may be going on shift to kill. I go down, maybe you’re coming back up. Break? What break?

PS: It’s not like I don’t like method 2. But it wouldn’t be fair for those who are asleep at that time and people who play on your off hours may have to work even harder than you do. Is that fair? Hardly. But again, “may” is the keyword here.

-John Smith

(edited by noelclover.9408)

in WvW

Bubi.7942

Read it.

Still the same point. I think you’re making quite a few assumptions, especially with point 1 and 2. Being in the “night crew” I can tell you that some servers I’ve played against had very strong “night crews” as well, arguably better than the “morning” ones. Using your first point, I’d put out the same argument to you.

Point 2 is an assumption as stated above. I do agree that it’s not cool though. So get a better night shift team together. You’ve a challenge ahead of you. It’s WvW, a constant state of war. Asking that the opponent relent it’s charge instead of preparing your own defenses (As in night shift team. Not better walls.) is your responsibility.

Point 3 is right and wrong. Right in that it’s a suggestion. Wrong in that it doesn’t hurt us who play on your… “off shifts”. Given the scenario I gave earlier, in that I’ve faced worlds with unrelenting “night crews”, I should be rewarded just as much as you for my efforts. Rewarding me less is making a mockery of my efforts to retain, if not capture and further, my server’s points. You’re making a suggestion based on an assumption.

Final point: It’s not okay. However what you’re doing is like being a villager that complains about getting raided by vikings and being unable to defend it because you don’t train anyone to guard the gates when you’re asleep. Silly.

Also: No I wouldn’t. But there’s no break time in WvW. You go off shift, I may be going on shift to kill. I go down, maybe you’re coming back up. Break? What break?

PS: It’s not like I don’t like method 2. But it wouldn’t be fair for those who are asleep at that time and people who play on your off hours may have to work even harder than you do. Is that fair? Hardly. But again, “may” is the keyword here.

Actually this is the first decent response I got, thank you.

It is true that I have always played on my server, and haven’t tried others so I was assuming night shifts are the same there as others.

In my tier, and against the servers we are facing, the night time is like the worst of “luck” thing I ever seen. Like I posted somewhere above, you wake up, go to work, get back, and one server has randomly (I use this word because there is no pattern which one) gained 20 000 points + over the other (again, I’m an not crying – nightshift won us last week) – which makes my “daytime shift” seem totally useless. And that sucks.

There was a post somewhere above mentioning 3 WvW daily matches – each lasting 8 hours, with points getting gained for each mini-match won. Now that I think about it, that’s not actually a bad idea.

@Silent: please read stuff. I just stated I’m not NA.

(edited by Bubi.7942)

in WvW

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Both poor ideas IMO. Id rather see ownership of objectives decay like ruins.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in WvW

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Same effort mornings as evenings. Maybe more actually as there is no Zerg train.

So. let them get up earlier and play. Why should I have to shift my time table, let everyone play when they feel it matches their daily routine the best.

It, does, you’re saying capping camps in the morning is not fair and not as valuable as capping in the afternoon.

Do you really expect your opponent to sit and wait while you take a nap?

in WvW

Bubi.7942

- I’m not sure how much effort is Rams v. Empty keep

- The suggestion doesn’t affect your playtime

- Currently the daytime players are punished – just compare the outcomes of a nightshift, and a dayshift

- No, but I expect the referee to do something – like even if I take the hits, at least it shouldn’t effect scoring

@Silent: please read stuff.

in WvW

Posted by: Canguro.5768

Canguro.5768

Solution: stop caring about ppt

Maguuma