Matchup Feedback [merged]

in WvW

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

It certainly beats the old system of play the same 2 servers 7-9 matchups.

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

A system that guarantees stale matchups for a very very long time and then unbalanced matchups at the moment where they should be balanced: during a tournament. Quite a system.

in WvW

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Well the system is perfect since A-net keeps doing it over and over again with any major changes to wvw :P. Doubt any of the veteran wvwer care much anymore. The same wvw issues for months.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

in WvW

Posted by: xiwan.3124

xiwan.3124

The second week is presumably always going to be the most unbalanced that the Swiss system will shake out, but the scores are ridiculous and most players are just deciding to take a week off. Almost every single matchup right now has one server with twice+ the number of points as the second place server…and it’s only Saturday.

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

695:0:0 should be reach latest 8h after reset, then the losers better stay home and let the winner enjoy their scoring undisturbed.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: xiwan.3124

xiwan.3124

695:0:0 should be reach latest 8h after reset, then the losers better stay home and let the winner enjoy their scoring undisturbed.

It really is a great system and fun for all.

in WvW

Posted by: Regnum.7102

Regnum.7102

Hai there.

So, from what I’ve been told a few times, the matchups in the tournament work this way: 1st vs 1st vs 1st of each group. Then 2nd vs 2nd vs 2nd and 3rd vs 3rd vs 3rd.

If that’s right (it seems to be right)… what’s the sense?

What’s the point in placing the best server in EU against the 4th and 7th server? Where’s the competition there? I don’t think it’d be fair to have a ’Murica vs Andorra fight, honestly.
Is the 9th server supposed to be able to beat the 3rd server? I guess the 9th could have A chance to beat the 6th, but the 3rd? Really?

Right now, in my matchup, we (Gandara) and FSP are just being bashed by Deso 24/7. +385, +185, +100. Guess who’s ticking +385. Guess what servers can do nothing. Yeah. Sounds fun. Lots of fun. Yay. Tournament. http://gifatron.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/arvind.gif

in WvW

Posted by: muerte.3842

muerte.3842

With the tourny over 4 weeks and each team playing each other once then this will always happen, this is just the way the tourny is…

the problem with this is small servers vs larger servers, meaning small servers will always lose as this is simply coverage wars…

SFR will win this tounry without any effort due to the fact that they can simply gain 20k plus every night when most other eu servers dont have that coverage at that time..

they might as well simply dish out the rewards for the full tourny now and been done with it…

in WvW

Posted by: Eshady.9146

Eshady.9146

So many threads popping up about the same frustration. This can’t outrage go unnoticed and if it does… shame shame.

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

They should just lock WvW servers AT THE SAME TIME they announce tournaments. If a person leaves their world, they cannot WvW on any other world until the season is done. Is this mean? Yes. Is it necessary? Unfortunately, it is because the playerbase is showing why we can’t have nice things, BECAUSE YOU ABUSE IT JUST TO SERVER STACK.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

The problem with the system, is that there REALLY ARE huge population differences between tiers T5 servers can’t hope to stand up to T3, the same way that T8 servers cant face up to T6.

Coverage lords please have mercy on us

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

being allowed by ArenaNet and NCSorft.

Anet don’t care. And NCSoft cares even less.

And this is why:

Consequently, it makes it so that everyone floods/switches/joins the servers

Chaaaa ching! Thanks suckers
- Anet and NCSoft.

in WvW

Johje Holan.4607

So many threads popping up about the same frustration. This can’t outrage go unnoticed and if it does… shame shame.

Anet has ignored it for two years, I’m pretty sure they can keep on ignoring it.

Here, try this exciting new Living Story installment!

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

If only Arenanet would look at the plethora of, “Crap Matchup”, threads and do a discussion on that instead of siege trolls (which are minimal-to-non-existant on some servers).

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

I will be putting this post in several threads. I just want to say that I really think it should be cheating that a server is allowed to tank for a few weeks to be taken down to bronze lvl just so they can dominate. I am speaking of GoM. They were Silver then just before the Tournament then tanked really bad a few weeks to be taken down to Bronze and it is obvious in their last 2 weeks in this league. The week before the tournament they completely Zerged and out numbed every on on the maps and won so bad that the first week of this tournament they had to hold back till the last 2 days and then come out in force. By allowing a server to do this The ppl that run the game have allowed then to set the deck in their favor. and as far as I am concerned that is cheating, and it is being allowed by ArenaNet and NCSorft.

GoM is a much better match than NSP (which is the server that was replaced by GoM). NSP would pretty much just roll over any other bronze server like it did in all weeks prior GoM ariving back to bronze…

So stop crying that your server not gonna win because you think GoM tanked. You wouldn’t win, even if GoM wasn’t here.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Joan.1964

Joan.1964

TIER 8 SERVERS COMING TO AN END FC, ET ,AR
I heard a rumor that the tier 8 servers are going to be disbanded or the 3 servers with the lowest population. And that all players from (Fergusons Crossing, Eternal Battlegrounds and one other server) will get a free server transfer to upper tier server and these servers will cease to exist. It is supposed to happen at some time after the Fall tournament. Thank the gods. I joined Fergusons Crossing because I had a friend in it. Little did I know the implications of picking a server. You would think developers would have noticed and solved these issues of being grossly outnumbered in every battle. It makes the game no fun at all and if anything irritating. Now that Im in it, half the guilds I joined are planning on transferring out within the coming weeks. But I don’t have the money for this. I hope if this does happen that guilds will transfer together so we can still play with each other.

in WvW

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Why exactly would this rumor be going around? I’m sure Colin is dropping this info in the adopt a dev program, telling people about disbanding servers…

in WvW

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

It’s a really simple matching system:

• First place moves up one tier (unless top tier, then they stay).
  • Second place stays in their tier.
  • Third place moves down one tier (unless bottom tier, then they stay).

So this week each tier consists of three different tiers with the highest ranking server dominating, third week will likely look exactly like the first week, and fourth week might be slightly different than the second week, but the PPT will look pretty much the same as this week’s.

in WvW

Posted by: Brow.9425

Brow.9425

At this point, since they are unwilling and unable to fix it, they should go back to the 24 hour matches we had 24 months ago.

Rathan Kelet — Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Scandi.5693

Scandi.5693

Yes, transfer to a bloated server and then brag. GW2 WvW at its best.

Mistress Savant of the Asuran Dominion.

in WvW

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

system is fine but it can´t work cause all servers too different

problem is not the system problem is the coverage from all servers and i think its more “motivation” problem

nearly all servers can bring big numbers on reset night but after this only the masochists stay for a week

arenanet schould change tournaments to daylie matchups for 1 week and i bet 1000gold this tournament would have much more players and would be much more fun

so in short:

• 1 week tournament with 7×24h matchups
  • and this maby every month in last week

in WvW

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

TIER 8 SERVERS COMING TO AN END FC, ET ,AR
I heard a rumor that the tier 8 servers are going to be disbanded or the 3 servers with the lowest population. And that all players from (Fergusons Crossing, Eternal Battlegrounds and one other server) will get a free server transfer to upper tier server and these servers will cease to exist. It is supposed to happen at some time after the Fall tournament. Thank the gods. I joined Fergusons Crossing because I had a friend in it. Little did I know the implications of picking a server. You would think developers would have noticed and solved these issues of being grossly outnumbered in every battle. It makes the game no fun at all and if anything irritating. Now that Im in it, half the guilds I joined are planning on transferring out within the coming weeks. But I don’t have the money for this. I hope if this does happen that guilds will transfer together so we can still play with each other.

Eternal Battlegrounds is getting disbanded? You seem like a credible source of information…

in WvW

Posted by: Waikd.4632

Waikd.4632

Bump.

We’ve been playing a football match in which one team has 15 players on the pitch while the other has 80. At its core WvW is broken, and it has been since launch.

The very idea of a tournament is a slap in the face for the many brave players who try hard, but are just continuously outnumbered.

in WvW

Posted by: Snowreap.5174

Snowreap.5174

the matchup system during the tournament is “swiss style”. check this link for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

during the first week, the matchups are done in rank order (1 vs 2 vs 3, 4 vs 5 vs 6, etc.) because everyone starts the tournament with the same score (zero).

for scoring purposes, winning a match gives you 5 points, second place gives 3 points and third place is 1 point.

for each successive week, the matchups are done by tournament score (using rank as a tiebreaker when multiple servers have the same score). since every server who came in first place in week 1 will have the same score (5 points), that means that in week 2 all the winners from week 1 play each other.

-ken

The Purge [PURG] – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

TexZero.7910

A system that guarantees stale matchups for a very very long time and then unbalanced matchups at the moment where they should be balanced: during a tournament. Quite a system.

I’m sorry, coming from a sports perspective you rarely ever play even match-ups.

How do you think the Raiders feel right now knowing pretty much every team in the NFL is better than they are ?

in WvW

Dayra.7405

system is fine but it can´t work cause all servers too different

problem is not the system problem is the coverage from all servers and i think its more “motivation” problem

nearly all servers can bring big numbers on reset night but after this only the masochists stay for a week

arenanet schould change tournaments to daylie matchups for 1 week and i bet 1000gold this tournament would have much more players and would be much more fun

so in short:

• 1 week tournament with 7×24h matchups
  • and this maby every month in last week

Romek this is nonsense, you should not talk about a game mode you stopped playing.
If I compare https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Want-your-WvW-queue-photos with what I saw on Elona in a good week I see over 500 people more that want to play on SFR than on Elona, nearly twice as many, and I would not queue on SFR if I see such a queue, so there are probably even more on SFR, that just gave up queuing for reset.

But yeah if matches would last only 4 hours Elona could probably be competitive with SFR, afterwards we run out of manpower, whereas on SFR probably the queues are still there. And that’s all gold-league, I don’t want to know how it looks in bronze.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

I’m sorry but if you’re one of these season “let’s take shifts commanding, no GvGs until we’re ahead in PPT” try hards then you’re part of the reason why Anet can cuddle up to their stupid metrics, pat themselves on the back and keep releasing these lame seasons as if they were content. The rewards are kitten and its the same horribly imbalanced game. What’s your excuse for giving a kitten.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

I’m sorry, coming from a sports perspective you rarely ever play even match-ups.

How do you think the Raiders feel right now knowing pretty much every team in the NFL is better than they are ?

Your analogy doesn’t make sense all NFL teams field 11 players on offense and defense. Surely you’re not equating wvw with skill in your :even matchup comments"?

in WvW

TexZero.7910

Your analogy doesn’t make sense all NFL teams field 11 players on offense and defense. Surely you’re not equating wvw with skill in your :even matchup comments"?

They are both leagues in which not every opponent is equally matched. Do you really wish to dispute that ?

Do you really want to go on this 11 on 11 analogy when its a 54 man roster of which many players fill multiple roles ? Just because only 11 are on the field at the same time doesnt mean that the 11 competing are on equal footing…You can call this outmaned if you really want to. Heck, lets not even begin comparing the salary cap between.

Sports and Tournaments in general are not fair nor are they between “equally skilled” players. Leagues are there not to promote a fair sense of play but to provide you an incentive for getting better and an attainable goal. You and your server can always do what the others have and recruit and grow stronger.

in WvW

Xillllix.3485

“Can anyone help me understand the matchups?”

There is no WvW development team, it was probably disbanded after EotM was released. Even if you’re not supposed to say it; all evidence (interviews and lack of content releases, dev comments) will direct you to this simple conclusion.

Golem mastery was made like over a year ago, just not released then with the other mastery. Commander tags probably took a few hours to implement. Siege disabler is not even worth a comment besides “It’s not a good idea”.

in WvW

Johje Holan.4607

The question is though what will they do for the 3rd and 4th week?

If they go by strict Swiss System and then Glicko as tiebreaker as they have in the past then it could (and will in the case of NA Gold) result in the same matchups as previously played in the tournament. But Anet said that we won’t face the same matchups more than once in the tourney.

in WvW

Xillllix.3485

They are both leagues in which not every opponent is equally matched. Do you really wish to dispute that ?

Do you really want to go on this 11 on 11 analogy when its a 54 man roster of which many players fill multiple roles ? Just because only 11 are on the field at the same time doesnt mean that the 11 competing are on equal footing…You can call this outmaned if you really want to. Heck, lets not even begin comparing the salary cap between.

Sports and Tournaments in general are not fair nor are they between “equally skilled” players. Leagues are there not to promote a fair sense of play but to provide you an incentive for getting better and an attainable goal. You and your server can always do what the others have and recruit and grow stronger.

It still depends on skill not amount of players. Your analogy just makes no sense. In WvW you have 90 players on BG at a certain time of the day while on SoS you have 5-10.

in WvW

Johje Holan.4607

You have got to be kidding. Or trolling. Or delusional.

In the NFL any team, no matter how bad, can win in any given week. As Chris Berman says, “That’s why they play the game”.

What if the Raiders could only field 7 players on offense and 6 on defense? There would be zero chance of them winning – zero. There would be no point in playing the game. That is what you’re talking about with WvW.

How many people do you think would watch the NFL if the teams had an uneven number of players? Zero, because the league couldn’t exist in that situation.

in WvW

Posted by: Rengaru.4730

Rengaru.4730

In sPvP people at least agree that 4v5 is pointless, frustrating and unfair.

In WvW we regularly see the equivalent of 2v5 and people saying: “It’s your fault you didn’t recruit more people willing to join a losing team.”

At least I only have to do 5 events (in EotM) this season and can ignore WvW for the rest of the week.

in WvW

TexZero.7910

In the NFL any team, no matter how bad, can win in any given week. As Chris Berman says, “That’s why they play the game”.

What if the Raiders could only field 7 players on offense and 6 on defense? There would be zero chance of them winning – zero. There would be no point in playing the game. That is what you’re talking about with WvW.

How many people do you think would watch the NFL if the teams had an uneven number of players? Zero, because the league couldn’t exist in that situation.

You said it yourself, anyone can win. This concept is not mutually exclusive to football.
You all place way to much emphasis on numbers. I guess you’ve not seen groups of 10 take on groups of 20-30 ?

I’ll give you a slight hint 5 people working together in unison can often take out 10 people who aren’t. You can abuse this in WvW even more so, but instead you’re here complaining. Every second you’re here, you’re not helping your server or yourself.

in WvW

Posted by: Rengaru.4730

Rengaru.4730

For some reason you are assuming the enemy consists only of unorganized pugs.

The reality on a lot of servers right now is more like your10 organized players (if you manage to find any) vs 15 organized enemies +30 pugs.

Meanwhile on the other Maps it’s your 10 pugs vs another 15 organized enemies +30 pugs.

in WvW

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

I am fed up of encountering enemy zergs that outnumber us 10 to 1 at least!! What are you supposed to do when you have 20 players versus 200? Ok those figures may not be entirely accurate, but that is what it’s like in WvW right now.

No matter what battle, or time of day, you’ll be outnumbered. I’m on Gandara and am seriously considering moving server.

in WvW

Posted by: Waikd.4632

Waikd.4632

You said it yourself, anyone can win. This concept is not mutually exclusive to football.
You all place way to much emphasis on numbers. I guess you’ve not seen groups of 10 take on groups of 20-30 ?

WvW is an uneven playing field, and as such it is broken. A server who pulls 25 people on a map against a full map blob will just not win the week. If you outskill your opponents by a lot, of course you might win a fight or two, but by no means is that an argument that the match up is fair!
Would you really tell the football team who can only put 6 people on the pitch, and who is up against 11 players, to ‘get good’ and not complain about the chronic imbalance?

I completely agree with OPs sentiment. A tournament is a complete slap in the face for the servers who just dont have the numbers to beat anyone. They try their best, but by the end of the week, they will have lost.

in WvW

Johje Holan.4607

I’ll give you a slight hint 5 people working together in unison can often take out 10 people who aren’t. You can abuse this in WvW even more so, but instead you’re here complaining. Every second you’re here, you’re not helping your server or yourself.

Anyone can win in the NFL. BECAUSE IN THE NFL THE TEAMS HAVE AN EQUAL NUMBER OF PLAYERS ON EACH SIDE.

I’ve narrowed it down to trolling or delusional. I’m leaning toward the latter.

(edited by Johje Holan.4607)

in WvW

Posted by: Middzz.1490

Middzz.1490

It is players that stack servers not ANET.
It is players that come on maps and shout wheres the ZERG not ANET.
It is players that create blobs not ANET .

Is it bad ,yes often ….It is clearly the choice of the majority players .
and I am sure if anet started telling people how to play limiting groups there would be a lot more screaming .

All you can do is hope more players change there style .

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The only real long-term solution I could see to this is by introducing Green Vs Blue Vs Red for the main WvW maps as well. But that could lead to a different problem of a loss of “server identity and pride”.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The only real long-term solution I could see to this is by introducing Green Vs Blue Vs Red for the main WvW maps as well. But that could lead to a different problem of a loss of “server identity and pride”.

The day this happens, at least half of the WvW population, and probably almost everyone under T4, quits the game (or WvW at least).

You want to repopulate WvW: make new maps on a regular schedule, deal with trolls, griefing, and hacking. Give the game mode some support.

That said, Green vs Blue vs Red is almost the certainly the solution Anet chooses; since EotM was such a smashing success, of course.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

The question is though what will they do for the 3rd and 4th week?

If they go by strict Swiss System and then Glicko as tiebreaker as they have in the past then it could (and will in the case of NA Gold) result in the same matchups as previously played in the tournament. But Anet said that we won’t face the same matchups more than once in the tourney.

They said you will face the same opponents less often, which is true without doubt, if you have only 4 instead of 9 rounds

The shorter format will ensure that worlds will not be repeatedly matched against one another”
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-the-world-vs-world-fall-tournament-2014/

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

RvBvG could work if loyalty towards 1 faction was rewarded and the scoring system changed to reflect different instances. Server loyalty doesn’t mean much if your server had no one on it.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Samis.1750

Samis.1750

They blew it when they made it server based as opposed to something like humans vs elves vs orcs.

I’m on TC and I’m taking most of the week off. At least I get to catch up on some RP.

When we fought an unbalanced matchup vs Crystal Desert last time, my thief ranted in mapchat that “we were conned into this war by the capitalist overlords at Arenanet. They said there were horrible weapons of mass destruction to be found in this Desert but we found nothing!”

I might have to bring her to Magumma BL this time.

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Dayra.7405

It is players that stack servers not ANET.
It is players that come on maps and shout wheres the ZERG not ANET.
It is players that create blobs not ANET .

Is it bad ,yes often ….It is clearly the choice of the majority players .
and I am sure if anet started telling people how to play limiting groups there would be a lot more screaming .

All you can do is hope more players change there style .

It’s the players that optimize their behavior according to the rules ANet has setup

But you may not like this optimum, therefore you ask for rule changes that allow nicer optima.

in WvW

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Yes I do want to dispute your assumption that equality of skill equates to coverage compared in your analogy. When you can show me evidence that 3 competing worlds have equal person for person coverage 24/7 we can continue this discussion until then your analogy is considered debunked.

in WvW

Posted by: Asguard.4621

Asguard.4621

Well as players see that there next match is going to be nothing but a bend over, they will just transfer to T1 stacked server’s till they implode anyway, the more stacked you are the more filth you swim in this Tournament season crap will fix the server population imbalance itself sooner or later as players just either quit and move on or stack to the remaining 2 T1 servers, which will make them end up like the old 3rd T1 server.

in WvW

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

WvW has never been and never will be about skill and coordination, it’s all about numbers and coverage, a good guild can kill 10 times the same zerg but in the end the server who has more coverage will still win.

This video explain how WvW works :

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Ha ha, great video discovery, sminkiottone. ANet should use it as wvw advertisement video for the next season.

Motto: “The majority of our players feel great in a great game”

(edited by Dayra.7405)