Tear down WvW divisions? Why not?

in WvW

Posted by: Kalyani.1453

Kalyani.1453

When players log into WvW, they should be assigned a certain color for 24 hrs based upon each color’s population and total points. This would even out matches and still provided a chance for players to defend the garrison etc. If a team of players enters WvW for the 1st time in a 24 hr period, they should be grouped together. This way, players could still enjoy the ability to play with friends. Then, for WvW tournaments, rewards could be placed on individual points accrued, with a higher prize range (ex: players 1-50 receive a legendary weapon, 51-150 receive an ascended weapon chest, etc.)

With the mega server update being released for PvE server balance, this change to WvW would relieve even more stress on servers as there would be no need/desire for a single server to be overpopulated as Blackgate is. Also, no one server would then dominate over the other, creating a happier gaming experience for all.

Essentially, this would be like combining the EotM gameplay with the server guesting system and megaserver matching system.

in WvW

Posted by: Shonie.5297

Shonie.5297

I need an ‘unlike’ box to click

~Tarnished Coast~

in WvW

Kalyani.1453

How about some constructive feedback rather than like or dislike? This is a discussion forum ^^;

in WvW

Posted by: Pinko.2076

Pinko.2076

I like playing with the people from my server. I hate playing with the people in EoTM.

While it is called “guild wars”, servers like Mag intermingle an incredible amount from shaping a long standing community. EoTM style (that you’re proposing) that forces people to choose guilds rather than servers would really kill a lot of what keeps me logging in. I play with 3-4 guilds a day as do a lot of other people on this server.

in WvW

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

No thank you. Lets keep our servers.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

in WvW

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

I know we don’t really speak well of the CDIs at times, but they did make a post addressing how they understand the World Identity is too important based on player feedback, so I don’t know that they would change something in that direction. Of course all we can do for now is speculate.

To quell speculation early, that is not what we are doing. The announcement will have more info, but we are absolutely not getting rid of worlds and putting everyone into an EotM type system.

I think it’s cleare what the WvW comunity wants

in WvW

Shonie.5297

You want constructive? Why? This is a terrible idea.
I don’t mean to be rude, but why would anyone want to log in to WvW to be a random red/blue/green person with no guild or server affiliation.
How are you supposed to raid with guild members that log in at various times throughout the day?
This idea is even worse than EOTM. EOTM is completely pointless, but you take it a step further to make WvW a place like EOTM, except without the ability to play with your guild! You just ruined GW2

~Tarnished Coast~

in WvW

Posted by: Midius.6501

Midius.6501

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Collaborative-Development-Edge-of-the-Mists/first

Read this many people point out why this will kill WvW.

In a Nutshell:
Without Server, no communication → EOTM2.0 with nonstop karmatrain.

And btw. the EOTM System doesn’t even work, the playernumbers on the maps in EOTM are still mostly uneven. I got the outnumbered buff more often in EOTM then in WvW.

greetz

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Guild Wars>Alliance Wars>Server Wars>Pug Wars

in WvW

Kalyani.1453

Okay…so why not have it guild and player based (for those without guilds)? Positions could be determined by guild count/activity, and current point status of each color. Voice communication would primarily be guild based, but many guilds already tend to use their own channels for WvW rather than public ones, so it wouldn’t be much of a change.

I’m merely providing ideas to balance out gameplay. Sometimes “terrible ideas” can evolve into good ideas with enough feedback and ingenuity.

in WvW

Shonie.5297

You can put makeup on a pig…

~Tarnished Coast~

in WvW

Posted by: Midius.6501

Midius.6501

WvW Live by the server Communitys not by the Guilds.

Nothing against WvW Guilds, I’m in one too, but WvW Guilds are mostly the leechers in WvW.
The backbone is the Community and Publics and you wont have this without Server/alliance-System.

And one word to the alliance System, as EOTM proofed a dynamic system still wont even out the numbers on the map, so won’t a dynamic big alliance System. The only outcome of a static alliance System will be more queues and nobody wants that.

greetz

But I just repeat what is postet in the CDI thread as do you I’m afraid.

in WvW

Talyn.3295

Okay…so why not have it guild and player based (for those without guilds)? Positions could be determined by guild count/activity, and current point status of each color. Voice communication would primarily be guild based, but many guilds already tend to use their own channels for WvW rather than public ones, so it wouldn’t be much of a change.

I’m merely providing ideas to balance out gameplay. Sometimes “terrible ideas” can evolve into good ideas with enough feedback and ingenuity.

Sorry, but some ideas will always be bad. I get it that the lower tiers are asking for something more. But you can’t expect to destroy communities like we have built of players and guilds and not run in to very stiff opposition. If Anet were to decide to go with your idea that would happen. And once you start messing with something like that players will leave. If you have any doubt look at the Discussion fourms with the Roleplayers and the WvW community is even harder to please.

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

Some servers worked hard to create a thriving community.

in WvW

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

It might be a good idea to wait until the April patch and see how it affects the WvW meta. Right now, the ubertop servers are going to stay on top, while servers that stopped giving two kittens (looking at you, SoR…) might actually get involved with smaller server groups and those that are better related to their activity.

Please, PLEASE, let this patch finally let me finish some exploration. >.>

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in WvW

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

No.
I feel attached to my server.
Though many guilds threathen to leave if we were to end up in gold, they decided to stay.
It’s not because they enjoy knowing we’ll get facerolled days in/days out with no chance of winning, it’s because of the strength of the community we created.
Any system that destroys that is bad.
Noone wants EoTM to spread through WvW.

What would be my reason to fight?
24 hours on one side, 24 hours on another side, for a fight that lasts one week?
And what do you do of language-specific servers?
Though I could manage on an English server, I’m French, chose to be on a French server, even if that meant being outside my timezone, because I wanted to play in my main language.

I don’t like EoTM for the lack of communication, the lack of meaningful fights, of reason to go and beat the other colors. I enjoy the friendly rivalry we (Augury Rock) have with Vizuna and Jade Sea…

it’s all part of a bigger picture that I can’t put into words. EoTM is fun to level up, to gain badges and be in for a good laugh when I bring a friend over, and they know nothing about the map, but the fact there is no identity/community makes it bad to go.

I’m already sad that the new change will make it harder to recruit in PvE for WvW, I sure don’t want to lose the identity we created over time…

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP:

It is a bad idea because a lot of people have server pride. They enjoy playing with others they know and seeing similar faces every day.

in WvW

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

I know we don’t really speak well of the CDIs at times, but they did make a post addressing how they understand the World Identity is too important based on player feedback, so I don’t know that they would change something in that direction. Of course all we can do for now is speculate.

To quell speculation early, that is not what we are doing. The announcement will have more info, but we are absolutely not getting rid of worlds and putting everyone into an EotM type system.

I think it’s cleare what the WvW comunity wants

Maybe they’ll amalgamate the very-low population worlds for WvW purposes. Like for example if Gandara and Piken Square were low pop worlds (they aren’t, but just as examples!) then one week in World vs World the green world might be ‘Gandara + Piken’. That addresses the population issue without losing the world identity.

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

The successes of higher tier servers counts entirely upon the communities that they created and maintained. Destroying those communities means most of them will move to ESO (some already have).

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The game is world base you should have pride in your world or server that what wvw is about and a lot of what is about GW2. Even in pve you unlock things for your world when you do events your “helping” your world out each time you do this. Even in the LS there where tricks that saw who was able to kill the toxic tower or who was able to kill tequ first. Its about world vs world vs world not green vs blue vs red.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

Some servers worked hard to create a thriving community.

This!

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in WvW

Posted by: Pie Flavor.1647

Pie Flavor.1647

I like playing with the people from my server. I hate playing with the people in EoTM.

While it is called “guild wars”, servers like Mag intermingle an incredible amount from shaping a long standing community. EoTM style (that you’re proposing) that forces people to choose guilds rather than servers would really kill a lot of what keeps me logging in. I play with 3-4 guilds a day as do a lot of other people on this server.

again. the “Guild Wars” were wars between 3 guilds from Orr, Ascalon and Kryta.

And I am become kitten, the destroyer of kittens

in WvW

Posted by: johnpoc.8732

johnpoc.8732

I hope this is a joke

Lockn Loada/Ryu Shueki
[RUN] solo/duo roamer

in WvW

Posted by: ManaCraft.5630

ManaCraft.5630

When players log into WvW, they should be assigned a certain color for 24 hrs based upon each color’s population and total points. This would even out matches and still provided a chance for players to defend the garrison etc. If a team of players enters WvW for the 1st time in a 24 hr period, they should be grouped together. This way, players could still enjoy the ability to play with friends.

The difference between a system that eliminates population differences and one that merely mitigates them is choice. Put differently, the only way you can truly eliminate population imbalances would be to arbitrarily assign players to specific factions of the game’s choosing. But with random faction assignments it becomes impossible for players to invest in that faction for the long term, to build any sense of community around it.

The kind of system you’re after only works if you allow players to make their own choices, as they do now. Yes, this opens up the possibility of players “stacking” a single faction on purpose. But on average the impact of that behavior will be much less significant because populations are larger. That, and you can implement mechanics that mitigate the impact of excess players in such a way that the last player added is always the least valuable. That’s the direction I would take if I were you.

But it’s a theoretical exercise at this point. The nays have it. If you feel strongly enough about it, my advice would be to look to the horizon for another, better designed mmo. That’s what I’m doing.

in WvW

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

With the announced changes all guilds are crossrealm, events are on a fixed timer….basically, the only reason they are keeping the server names around is because of WvW and I don’t predict that will last long.

Given enough time, people will just want to be with their guilds and they will see their server tag as an obstacle. “Why cant I wvw with my guild”, they will ask and then we will see changes.

The megaserver makes an edge of the mist style three faction matchup a certainty. It is only a matter of time before the server concept is eradicated for good.

in WvW

Talyn.3295

With the announced changes all guilds are crossrealm, events are on a fixed timer….basically, the only reason they are keeping the server names around is because of WvW and I don’t predict that will last long.

Given enough time, people will just want to be with their guilds and they will see their server tag as an obstacle. “Why cant I wvw with my guild”, they will ask and then we will see changes.

The megaserver makes an edge of the mist style three faction matchup a certainty. It is only a matter of time before the server concept is eradicated for good.

And by then they will need megasevers because alot of people will have moved on entirely.

Edit: Besides, that doesn’t look to be what they are aiming for.

“Though we are moving to our new megaserver model in PvE, it’s extremely important to us that we maintain the level of identity and competition in WvW that we’ve established since the release of Guild Wars 2. The entire game mode is based on battles between different players aligned to the named worlds, and as such we have no plans to remove this concept from WvW.”

(edited by Talyn.3295)

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

Just go to EoTM….geez.

Some of us like playing the old WvW (Mist War, non EoTM) stuff, because we like the actual competition of it. EoTM isn’t really competitive, and no true bragging rites or anything for winning.

Giving people a color, just means you play with randoms every day. Why bother? What about community?

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Unfortunately, this looks to be the way Anet is moving (despite what they say). They probably learned nothing from the total fail that was EoTM.

in WvW

Posted by: Berk.8561

Berk.8561

I don’t do much guild stuff in WvW (my primary guild is a group of friends who mostly PvE), but I enjoy playing with the same people each week from my server and wouldn’t want to see that broken by random team assignments. To be honest, I like running into the same people in PvE, too, and have concerns about that with the upcoming changes. too.

Kerzic [CoI] – Ranger – Eredon Terrace

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I would suggest a series of NPCs which players can to swear fealty to – each with their own citadel … I think you’re starting to see what I did there. They then start playing political games with one another, using the players as pawns. Forget it. This is an idea for a new game.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Myth Shaia.4856

Myth Shaia.4856

Sorry, but some ideas will always be bad. I get it that the lower tiers are asking for something more. But you can’t expect to destroy communities like we have built of players and guilds and not run in to very stiff opposition. If Anet were to decide to go with your idea that would happen. And once you start messing with something like that players will leave. If you have any doubt look at the Discussion fourms with the Roleplayers and the WvW community is even harder to please.

You know, this thing about destroying communties and such coming from established, decently populated servers is hypocritical. What is happening here is that the lower tiered, lower population server communities are being destroyed. Think about that. Or does it even matter to you – the needs and wants of the many outweigh those of the few? Democracy at it’s best?

To be fair, it isn’t the well-balanced servers’ fault, it is ANet’s. They have done very little to rectify server imbalances in WvWvW. Some sort of server merger between the lower tiered servers has to happen otherwise ANet could lose more servers and players, with players not bothering to play anymore than from a server merge.

…from elsewhere…
“I am not a complete idiot, there are some components missing still!” …

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Until people get the idea of server pride out of their head, this will be the inevitable demise of WvW. Variations of the OP’s idea has been brought up in the past with good support. The way they are suggesting wouldn’t work though due a concern being brought up on severing the community and splitting players up.

Something to keep in mind to, the reason we might not see many improvements in WvW or even any new maps is because we have no real justification or reason to receive it.

What good would a new map do when the bottom 4 Tiers can’t field enough players to currently fill the maps we have now? Hell, T1 doesn’t even have the populace to field all 4 maps at once. I play in prime time and outside the initial que of maybe 20-30 min, I literally can map hop at will after that.. So why would we need a new map?

The way I see it (unfortunately), is there is not a lot of interest in WvW on the grand scale. The only way people will concretely (IMO) gain more interest in WvW is to break the stale match ups.. aka.. level out the playing field..aka…even out the population. The only way that will happen is if servers merge together, or a variation of the OP’s idea is implemented. Then once Anet see’s WvW has enough interest that it’s filled mostly throughout the day, then we may actually see the goodies we want.

in WvW

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Until people get the idea of server pride out of their head, this will be the inevitable demise of WvW. Variations of the OP’s idea has been brought up in the past with good support. The way they are suggesting wouldn’t work though due a concern being brought up on severing the community and splitting players up.

Something to keep in mind to, the reason we might not see many improvements in WvW or even any new maps is because we have no real justification or reason to receive it.

What good would a new map do when the bottom 4 Tiers can’t field enough players to currently fill the maps we have now? Hell, T1 doesn’t even have the populace to field all 4 maps at once. I play in prime time and outside the initial que of maybe 20-30 min, I literally can map hop at will after that.. So why would we need a new map?

The way I see it (unfortunately), is there is not a lot of interest in WvW on the grand scale. The only way people will concretely (IMO) gain more interest in WvW is to break the stale match ups.. aka.. level out the playing field..aka…even out the population. The only way that will happen is if servers merge together, or a variation of the OP’s idea is implemented. Then once Anet see’s WvW has enough interest that it’s filled mostly throughout the day, then we may actually see the goodies we want.

WvW is more popular than you think.
New maps can be rotated in and out
Wvw without servers is not really that much of a hook. EOTM essentially handles that market completely. It is essentially exactly what people who want WvW not be server based want.

in WvW

ManaCraft.5630

It is essentially exactly what people who want WvW not be server based want.

Quite the opposite. It is a far cry from what we have been asking for. If you think EotM is an accurate representation of the “serverless” models that were presented in the CDI thread and elsewhere, you need to go back and give them a second read. In the meantime, kindly take your strawman someplace else.

in WvW

Talyn.3295

You know, this thing about destroying communties and such coming from established, decently populated servers is hypocritical. What is happening here is that the lower tiered, lower population server communities are being destroyed. Think about that. Or does it even matter to you – the needs and wants of the many outweigh those of the few? Democracy at it’s best?

To be fair, it isn’t the well-balanced servers’ fault, it is ANet’s. They have done very little to rectify server imbalances in WvWvW. Some sort of server merger between the lower tiered servers has to happen otherwise ANet could lose more servers and players, with players not bothering to play anymore than from a server merge.

Call me selfish if you want. But I honestly don’t care.

Everyone in the lower tiers knows exactly how this game is played. If they want to be part of a bigger community they only need to move up. There were many people that did this during the free transfers. HoD got a lot of them. And for those players I am happy.

WvW is dog eat dog. There is nothing balanced about it, and that is why I love it. I fought like crazy the other night when I score dipped. And yesterday my server re-rallied to lift the score back up.

If your community can’t survive its not only the top servers fault. Some of time time its because there is no effort to make a community. Ask yourself why they left the server? Was the community even there? Everyone has to be accountable for there own actions.

Not everyone started at the top of T1 some of us had to work our way up, fight by fight.

The suggestion to break apart what as be built simply because others are not able to build up the same is selfish in and of itself. I don’t know when it happened but these days working hard and being successful seems to be something to be ashamed up not celebrated.

I will never support anything other then letting players move where they want to move by there own choice.

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

WvW still needs guilds and long-term matches. Three hour matches with randoms aren’t the same.

However, I think that the current worlds and matches need a shake-up. Because balanced matches are also important. It should be possible to merge some of the players from some lower ranked servers for some matches.

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Everyone in the lower tiers knows exactly how this game is played. If they want to be part of a bigger community they only need to move up. There were many people that did this during the free transfers. HoD got a lot of them. And for those players I am happy.

WvW is dog eat dog. There is nothing balanced about it, and that is why I love it. I fought like crazy the other night when I score dipped. And yesterday my server re-rallied to lift the score back up.

If your community can’t survive its not only the top servers fault. Some of time time its because there is no effort to make a community. Ask yourself why they left the server? Was the community even there? Everyone has to be accountable for there own actions.

Not everyone started at the top of T1 some of us had to work our way up, fight by fight.

The suggestion to break apart what as be built simply because others are not able to build up the same is selfish in and of itself. I don’t know when it happened but these days working hard and being successful seems to be something to be ashamed up not celebrated.

I will never support anything other then letting players move where they want to move by there own choice.

You’re both selfish and shortsighted. It’s all fine and dandy until this actually starts to impact you. I’d be willing to bet that when it finally does you’ll be right here on the forum asking why ArenaNet isn’t doing anything.

Here is a few things to think about. If the population continues to decrease due to bad matchups, population imbalances, etc what will happen to WvW? If communities keep absorbing other communities at what point is the original community gone?

Done thinking? Here is how I see things going if things remain the same. Populations will continue to decrease and ArenaNet will put even less resources into WvW, which is incredibly bad for anyone that likes WvW. People will continue to condense onto the top 3 servers or quit until all other servers are ghost towns. The communities you’re fighting so hard to protect now will eventually be mixed with the communities of all the other servers, which is exactly what you’re trying to avoid.

The options before you are keep WvW as it is, all communities will end up merged anyway, and WvW will die. Or we can condense the population, give communities new flags to rally behind, and try to revitalize WvW. At worst the end results are the same, at best getting rid of servers renews interest in WvW and gets it more developer resources. It isn’t even a hard choice, but too many selfish people scared of change will doom WvW to stagnation.

in WvW

Myth Shaia.4856

Your argument would stand scrutiny if GW2 was continuously getting new players in to offset the loss of transfers. As that is not happening, the lower tiered servers are not able to build up as you would like them to, there is nothing to build with. The only time any transfer move happens is when free transfers guarantee a league win. And this does not in anyway show ‘server pride’. It just shows a player’s selfish and greedy attitude. Nice building stones for a community.

…from elsewhere…

in WvW

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

It is essentially exactly what people who want WvW not be server based want.

Quite the opposite. It is a far cry from what we have been asking for. If you think EotM is an accurate representation of the “serverless” models that were presented in the CDI thread and elsewhere, you need to go back and give them a second read. In the meantime, kindly take your strawman someplace else.

uhh, did you even read the OP? he basically said its just like EOTM

When players log into WvW, they should be assigned a certain color for 24 hrs based upon each color’s population and total points. This would even out matches and still provided a chance for players to defend the garrison etc. If a team of players enters WvW for the 1st time in a 24 hr period, they should be grouped together. This way, players could still enjoy the ability to play with friends. Then, for WvW tournaments, rewards could be placed on individual points accrued, with a higher prize range (ex: players 1-50 receive a legendary weapon, 51-150 receive an ascended weapon chest, etc.)

With the mega server update being released for PvE server balance, this change to WvW would relieve even more stress on servers as there would be no need/desire for a single server to be overpopulated as Blackgate is. Also, no one server would then dominate over the other, creating a happier gaming experience for all.

Essentially, this would be like combining the EotM gameplay with the server guesting system and megaserver matching system.

where is the strawman? The major difference between his idea and EOTM is you get awarded for personal kills and it lasts 24 hours.

My beef with it, is serves no purpose other than killing random players in no context, which EOTM already does. Maybe he and you want a better EOTM.
But why mess with WvW when EOTM is closer to what you want, just fix EOTM.

What exactly is it you want anyhow? how is it different than EOTM in its basic structure and implimentation.

in WvW

ManaCraft.5630

I read it. But that doesn’t even begin to account for all the other ideas that “people who want WvW not [to] be server based” have produced. That’s a whole different ball game.

Let me add that in general I’m all in favor of using EotM as a guinea pig for new WvW mechanics, and I’ve encouraged a.net to do so in several other posts. Although to be fair, if EotM is to be “fixed” to become an accurate reflection of WvW under the right circumstances, it would require a lot of revamping – so much so that I doubt it would be a viable process. WvW is already much closer to what I want the final product to look like than EotM, and that’s what I signed up to play anyhow.

in WvW

Talyn.3295

I read it. But that doesn’t even begin to account for all the other ideas that “people who want WvW not [to] be server based” have produced. That’s a whole different ball game.

Let me add that in general I’m all in favor of using EotM as a guinea pig for new WvW mechanics, and I’ve encouraged a.net to do so in several other posts. Although to be fair, if EotM is to be “fixed” to become an accurate reflection of WvW under the right circumstances, it would require a lot of revamping – so much so that I doubt it would be a viable process. WvW is already much closer to what I want the final product to look like than EotM, and that’s what I signed up to play anyhow.

And many people in general do not want any part of EoTM in WvW, and frequently encourage Anet to leave it where it is.

You’re both selfish and shortsighted.

Now this is the pot calling the kettle black is it not it? My community is strong becasue we worked at it and we made it strong. EoTM failed fore a number of reasons. Which have been discussed to death.

Sever pride is one of the few things that keep people playing this game. Color Pride isn’t gonna do it.

Let people move where they like. You complain people want to be on the top Servers. Give them a reason to be on your server. If you can’t do that. I don’t see where you have the right to complain.

You think you are the first person to come up with these questions

If communities keep absorbing other communities at what point is the original community gone?

Communities absorb members who fit into them. They do not absorb other communities. The idea that everyone gets forced to play an EoTM style of of game is communities forced together. I don’t think the people who move down to play on the lower servers would enjoy getting mushed in with us any more then we would want them here. People choose were they want to play. That is part of the freedom of choice. We do not need Anet or anyone else to come here and say. Ok, as of right now everyone on Darkhave you are part of Blackgate. Every one on Gate of Madness you are part of Jade Quary. All four servers involved would be upset.

If communities keep absorbing other communities at what point is the original community gone?

Again, communities absorb members. You pick a community that has a similar outlook on things. SoR was a good example of two separate communities who were lumped together and wanted different things. One half wanted to just play for fights and when they were given EoTM they took it. Leaving the rest to sink or swim as they best they could. I do not want to see what happened to them happen to any other server.

Server based WvW works. It has worked and I don’t see anything changing it. WvW players as a whole are very picky about there game mode. If anyone puts plans in that will upset what has been built it will meet alot of resistance. If you can not accpet that people do not want EoTM game style in WvW I feel you are missing the point entirely.

in WvW

ManaCraft.5630

And many people in general do not want any part of EoTM in WvW, and frequently encourage Anet to leave it where it is.

Well for what it’s worth, as far as EotM goes, I agree on all aspects – except one.

The irony of course is that higher tier servers, and especially tier 1 servers, are already effectively playing the “EotM style”, as you put it. They recruit vigorously to remain competitive, and the large populations that result from this are precisely what you would see in an alliance-based system, only larger.

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Now this is the pot calling the kettle black is it not it? My community is strong becasue we worked at it and we made it strong. EoTM failed fore a number of reasons. Which have been discussed to death.

Sever pride is one of the few things that keep people playing this game. Color Pride isn’t gonna do it.

Let people move where they like. You complain people want to be on the top Servers. Give them a reason to be on your server. If you can’t do that. I don’t see where you have the right to complain.

You think you are the first person to come up with these questions

So I’m selfish for wanting WvW to be healthier for all players? The word you’re looking for is selfless.

People want to have a fair chance at winning and to play with other people, that is why they go to top servers. It is absolutely no fun to run around a zone with zero friendly players only to get run over by an enemy zerg. This tournament just highlights the problems with servers with a giant neon sign. There is only one matchup in the game that is even remotely competitive and I’d bet after next week even that starts getting extremely lopsided.

If all you have to offer for a solution to the current problems is recruit, which caused these problems, or don’t complain, then clearly this discussion is over. You’ve failed to see that continuing as is will just push the game further towards it’s demise, if you can’t even see that then good luck in the next game, I hope you learn from what you’re about to experience.

Communities absorb members who fit into them. snip

Communities don’t absorb those that fit into them because communities can’t control who joins the server. I’d put money on there being more than a few guilds on each top server that the “community” wish would leave. The community by the way is extremely subjective. To you it might be a bunch of guilds that all participate with each other, to others it’s who they see in chat; point being that you might control who joins a guild alliance on a server but that doesn’t mean you can stop people from changing the overall community.

A lot of people simply won’t care about merges, they will quickly adopt their new identity, build new communities and continue on. You also again assume that there will be no way for communities to be matched together. If all JQ players are matched with JQ players whenever possible they won’t even notice much of a difference.

Again, communities absorb members. You pick a community that has a similar outlook on things. SoR was a good example of two separate communities who were lumped together and wanted different things. One half wanted to just play for fights and when they were given EoTM they took it. Leaving the rest to sink or swim as they best they could. I do not want to see what happened to them happen to any other server.

Where do you expect these communities to go when the number of viable servers drops? More SOR like situations are coming except there will be nowhere to transfer. If we have a new system where communities can congregate without being forced into other communities while still having a fair chance at winning the game will be better off.

Server based WvW works. snip

Server based WvW doesn’t work, just look around. Every week most of the matchups are complete blowouts. The tournament outcome will be known by week 3(REAL competitive huh?). How many server implosions have we had? How many dead/dying servers are there? If you were around at launch then you’ll remember that transfers was a very hot topic and people begged ANet to close them but it took too long. That was the beginning of server stacking to dominate and also the start of WvW’s demise. Leaving things as they are is throwing dirt on the coffin.

I am not advocating EotM style gameplay, which is a point you’ve missed. I’m saying that we need a new system that removes servers to balance the population, adds things for the communities to rally behind, and helps bring about fair competitive matches. EotM is none of that, it is purely a testing ground and a waiting room. It should remain that way.

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

snip

You mention “winning” an awful lot. Please tell me what server doesn’t win? Every server has their shot at winning. If that means dropping a few tier, then isn’t that a good thing?

What is with so many peoples desire to “rise up” and win everything. What is so bad about being competitive in one tier and if not, being competitive in a lower tier? What is so bad about losing? Do people only have fun when they’re winning?

(edited by Deli.1302)

in WvW

ManaCraft.5630

What is with so many peoples desire to “rise up” and win everything. What is so bad about being competitive in one tier and if not, being competitive in a lower tier? What is so bad about losing? Do people only have fun when they’re winning?

People have fun when they are playing against evenly matched opponents. It’s not about winning per se, it’s about having a fair shot at winning.

in WvW

Talyn.3295

So I’m selfish for wanting WvW to be healthier for all players? The word you’re looking for is selfless.

No, that isn’t the word at all. I am at least honest about my intentions, and if they are selfish or not. I won’t claim any moral high ground. You say you want want is good for wvw or a healthier one, however you want to make a choice for us. You don’t represent the whole community.

There are people who made choices, you want to un-make those. By telling us we have to play your way. And you are telling us its the best way. I will agree with Deli above me winning does come up a bit to much on your post. But I won’t say that is your only reason.

There are three groups of people on here. Those who move to big servers for bigger fights and those who move to smaller ones for smaller fights. And those who want there cake and eat it too. What you want is to tell them all they need to play your way. Which they don’t need to. Servers are fine. We don’t need any changes, and I am willing to be most of us don’t want them either.

(edited by Talyn.3295)

in WvW

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

I like my server and my community and am quite worried that the new mega server system will even have a adverse affect on server identity.

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

People have fun when they are playing against evenly matched opponents.

Actually I’m only happy when we’re at least 2:1, better 3:1 outmanned, otherwise I’m bored. An even fight doesn’t feel like a win to me.

The problem with even sized groups fighting each other is rather simple: The servers would want to have the best shot at the matchup, so all the players in the group would have to give 100%; lvl 80, best weapons, gear, traits.. and would have to know all about the character they’re playing so they can give their best performance.
This would mean that no one would be able to level their new characters, so people would likely only play one character. This also means that new players wouldn’t be welcomed as they still don’t properly know how to play their class.

I don’t think this is a good idea.

in WvW

Myth Shaia.4856

This would mean that no one would be able to level their new characters, so people would likely only play one character. This also means that new players wouldn’t be welcomed as they still don’t properly know how to play their class.

I don’t think this is a good idea.

There is an evil answer to this, go lvl up new toons in EotM. New players can also learn to play their class properly in EotM, there is hardly a difference in build requirement for WvWvW and EotM really.

Oh but wait, no, no, EotM is rubbish apparently.

…from elsewhere…

in WvW

Myth Shaia.4856

Ok, a few assumptions from me this time.

Servers are fine. We don’t need any changes, and I am willing to be most of us don’t want them either.

This from a player on an overpopulated – wait I mean high coverage and overpopulated – server fighting against 2 other overpopulated & high coverage servers most of the time…you are right, you don’t need any changes. It is the low populated servers fighting against imbalanced overpopulated servers that need a change.

I suppose league season is a bit refreshing for you when you can go round and roflstomp for a while too.

…from elsewhere…