Wait What?

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

They are reducing the chance of fighting any other servers in WvW?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-matchup-variance-reduction/

Well here is to fighting BG and SoR 95% of the time.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

Who else do you want to fight? T2 looks like the level of competition is in a good place, I don’t think they want to fight you.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Variety is the spice of life—which this is not.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

They are reducing the chance of fighting any other servers in WvW?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-matchup-variance-reduction/

Well here is to fighting BG and SoR 95% of the time.

who else do you want to fight?? any other server you fight would be a steam roll. Want some different servers, try transferring down a tier.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Oh that’s really sad imo. Gone are the days of fighting a new battle every week. I’d rather get steamrolled every once in a while than fight the same people every week.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: ShiningMassXAcc.4735

ShiningMassXAcc.4735

Something is weird in that chart though – YB fighting DB is only 7% …

Wait What?

in WvW

UrMom.4205

I would guess it’s due to the large tier difference, currently YB is T3 and DB is T5

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

Wait What?

in WvW

Aeonblade.8709

I would guess it’s due to the large tier difference, currently YB is T3 and DB is T5

But DB clearly doesn’t belong in T5. It’s pretty much been a solid T3 server for a while. You’d think our chance of being matched to other T3 teams would be much higher if they intend to reduce the match up discrepancies. Something is certainly weird.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

Fighting the same servers most of the time (can get boring) vs. unbalanced matches (can be frustrating AND boring depending on what side of coin you’re on). Pick your poison. Personally, I’d take less variance, even if it means fighting the same teams week after week.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

There is a rather big issue here.
If the matches are too random people will complain about steamrolling/being steamrolled, if the matches are less random people will complain about always facing the same servers.

Don’t really see how they could solve that however. I suppose they could alternate between the two now and then, but that is not really a solution either.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Wait What?

in WvW

UrMom.4205

But DB clearly doesn’t belong in T5. It’s pretty much been a solid T3 server for a while. You’d think our chance of being matched to other T3 teams would be much higher if they intend to reduce the match up discrepancies. Something is certainly weird.

yeah i feel ya, we had the same thing happen to us on CD before the season (except the other way) we got matched up against FA, MAG, and DB for like 4 weeks straight, every match was a total curb stomp and yet we still rose to T3…hopefully after a couple weeks you guys will rise back to your respected tier. I’m also assuming these charts are set in stone, i’m assuming they dynamically update week to week to keep them accurate.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: ShiningMassXAcc.4735

ShiningMassXAcc.4735

They are T3 and T5 only due to the variance that they already applied this week (DB would be tier T4). DB is more likely to fight FA or Mag both of whom are higher ranked than YB. I wonder if this graph is actually based off of the rating from 7 weeks ago (ie pre-season).

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

They are using the current positions of the servers – and statistics over 10 000 match-ups calculated according to the new algorythm. Some things are weird, especially in the NA charts, (SoR and TC not meeting, close servers having few chances of meeting), but it would change as ratings go up and down.

I think it’s good that the firsts servers are not going to steamroll lower tiered ones too often – and except for the firsts US servers, there is still plenty of chances for diversity.

Good change, imho

(edited by Jocksy.3415)

Wait What?

in WvW

UrMom.4205

If the matches are too random people will complain about steamrolling/being steamrolled, if the matches are less random people will complain about always facing the same servers.

Don’t really see how they could solve that however. I suppose they could alternate between the two now and then, but that is not really a solution either.

yup it’s a double edge sword…me personally would rather at least be able to play and not get completely rolled like the old system. I don’t care if i fight the same server over and over with slight variance thrown in, at least the fights are more entertaining.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

good ! I want more competitive matchups.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

So its knowing your more likely to win a week before the week starts? There got to be some give and take or your always going to destroyed in a week or get destroyed with no in-between.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Mneawhile in the land of Gate of Madness, we will continue to be the 21-23/24, yay

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

If you’re still on Picken Square (or any EU servers), you will still have possible variety.
The only ones that will have almost no variety are NA BG, JQ, SOR, because their ratings are way too far from other servers ratings. All other servers have pretty good chances at variety…

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

I wonder if it would be possible in the future for lower tier servers to “ally” as one. i.e.

World1 Vs World 2 Vs World3&World4

So instead of having a “Jade Quarry Borderlands” it would be called “Allied/Alliance Borderlands” (or whatever unique name two server combinations make)

This will make fighting lower tier servers, much more entertaining and to the point provide variety every week.

Before anyone jumps on me, there will of course be a restriction on which server gets allied with which. i.e. JQ+SoR, JQ+BG or SoR+BG cannot combine to become “Allied Borderlands”

Furthermore, this should be done once or twice every month so as it give the mid/lower tier servers the opportunity to fight in their proper tier.

In essence it would be WvWvWvW but two of the Worlds are “merged” into one for that one week.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

They are using the current positions of the servers – and statistics over 10 000 match-ups calculated according to the new
……..
Good change, imho

Don’t think so SBI isn’t higher than YB much less FA…

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

Wait What?

in WvW

Aeonblade.8709

I wonder if it would be possible in the future for lower tier servers to “ally” as one. i.e.

World1 Vs World 2 Vs World3&World4

So instead of having a “Jade Quarry Borderlands” it would be called “Allied/Alliance Borderlands” (or whatever unique name two server combinations make)

This will make fighting lower tier servers, much more entertaining and to the point provide variety every week.

Before anyone jumps on me, there will of course be a restriction on which server gets allied with which. i.e. JQ+SoR, JQ+BG or SoR+BG cannot combine to become “Allied Borderlands”

Furthermore, this should be done once or twice every month so as it give the mid/lower tier servers the opportunity to fight in their proper tier.

In essence it would be WvWvWvW but two of the Worlds are “merged” into one for that one week.

That is a really cool idea and I think that has a lot of potential. I’m completely serious, you should make a more in depth topic for this all on it’s own. I’m on board

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

it’s impossible to please some of these people. I’d rather fight a fair fight than steamroll or be steamrolled.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Yeah something is messed up with those new numbers. No way SBI should have a higher chance of facing TC than Mag. Not that I mind, been a long time since we faced TC, would be great fun.

And Yaks is currently ranked higher than SBI yet appears lower on the chart and even has chances to face much lower servers.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

This is a great and much needed change. THANK YOU ARENANET! Steamrolling is not fun for anybody.

IMO your “variety is the spice of life” argument is not applicable in this instance.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

This change may solve bad matchups.
Before league ythere was variation about +6 and -6 in ratings.
Now it should be +3 and -3. So less variety of servers but not same servers all the time thanks to RNG.
Yes you may face one server two weeks, but mostly there should not be same 3 servers in matchup for 2 weeks. At least one server will be different. And it does not mean that server needs to be one rank up or one rank down. It may be server 4 ranks up or 3 ranks down.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Reducing the variation is a good thing. Few would enjoy a server like BG stomping a T3. A roughly one tier +/- variance is more than enough for match up variation. T4 will see plenty of T3 through T5 servers but won’t be seeing any strong T2 or weak T6 servers.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I see this as ’it’s mainly for the lower populated servers’ since they’re steam-rolled all the time by anything that has legs

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: calankh.3248

calankh.3248

I’m in favor of this change, but I got really sick of being steamrolled during season 1. Until Anet can figure out how to convince people to spread more evenly across servers this seems like the best solution. By providing steamrolling opportunities they would just encourage people to bunch up on the winning servers.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Kalidri.5427

Kalidri.5427

As a TC person I’ll miss having a larger chance to face the T1 servers. I might be a masochist but I enjoyed the league fights even if we did get killed and rolled a lot by T1. I do love (much love) SoS, Mag and FA but it just seems strange to have a mere 5% chance of a T1 encounter. Overall it probably is a good change and my comment is coming from a childish ‘wanting what I can’t have’ point of view.

Goseldt – TC/[TLS]/I just wanna dance.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

Yeah TC should have a bit higher chance to face t1. They can hold there own against them if they want to. No one else really can.

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

As a TC person I’ll miss having a larger chance to face the T1 servers. I might be a masochist but I enjoyed the league fights even if we did get killed and rolled a lot by T1. I do love (much love) SoS, Mag and FA but it just seems strange to have a mere 5% chance of a T1 encounter. Overall it probably is a good change and my comment is coming from a childish ‘wanting what I can’t have’ point of view.

I liked being able to go against TC as well. They’re proof that an RP servers can field worthwhile adversaries in WvW, it’s sad I won’t be seeing them in WvW as much.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Top 3 servers should never fight anyone else.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Stillmoon.6894

Stillmoon.6894

greattttt, now IOJ gets to be steamrolled each and every week for foreseeable future, thanks A net (as if wvw season 1 match up is not insulting enough)

“Dream and hope sundered my world, it will no longer wreak such sorrow”

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Alcyone.8695

Alcyone.8695

Note that these are odds based on the current glicko rating, and that means they’re basically odds for next week only. Everyone’s ratings will shift, and those odds will be recalculated. We’re not locked into these odds forever.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Good.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Gahzirra.8639

Gahzirra.8639

Do they not sanity check the results? SBI higher than FA who beats them every time they face. League result FA 1st, SBI 3rd?

My concern is if it works like it did prior to random hat, where it took forever to move up/down. So a server could be gutted or stacked and for quite some time you are the stomped or stomper because the numbers take so long to adjust to the actual rank.

For instance how IoJ was pumped up to Silver league than was bailed on just days before League and then had to face 7 weeks of lopsided fights.

How long will it take based on transfer in/out for a server to find its true rank?

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

It will be really interesting to see what they do with Season 2.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Epsilon Atreides.3816

Epsilon Atreides.3816

Do they not sanity check the results? SBI higher than FA who beats them every time they face. League result FA 1st, SBI 3rd?

My concern is if it works like it did prior to random hat, where it took forever to move up/down. So a server could be gutted or stacked and for quite some time you are the stomped or stomper because the numbers take so long to adjust to the actual rank.

For instance how IoJ was pumped up to Silver league than was bailed on just days before League and then had to face 7 weeks of lopsided fights.

How long will it take based on transfer in/out for a server to find its true rank?

^^ This. Common sense needs to intervene at some point. I find this approach analogous to calculating the probability of the world being encased in ice tomorrow based on the duration of the ice ages over the last 200,000 years.

Been on IoJ since beta and we’re fielding maybe 20% of the numbers we did before leagues, that is probably being generous. Leaving this up to outdated statistics means we’re looking at a few more weeks of lopsided match-ups, at a minimum.

No intended criticism of the servers we’re matched up with. It is what it is.

I don’t necessarily think the ideas being considered or brought in recently by Anet to address ongoing issues are bad, they just come much too late after the fact to be effective. Try to anticipate problems instead of cleaning them up.

Epsilon
Mag/FA

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I’m glad this is finally happening, but at the same time it’s interesting that Desolation is less likely to face a Server like Baruch and has no chance of SFR or Viz. Yet we have a good chance of someone like Jade Sea and Elona, like Gandara this past week.

It’s not that fun being steamrolled and constantly outnumbered at night, although you do get used to the challenge. There’s also the chance fighting different Servers with different Philosophies and guilds, no matter if there are blowouts.

Remember even if the scores look one sided, you can still earn rating points against higher ranked servers, which leads to a good chance you’ll face those kind of servers more frequently.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: DivineBeing.2086

DivineBeing.2086

Wow, that is going to get really old really fast.

Maybe my server can call a two-week WvW blackout and tank in ranks to diverse those match ups a bit.

<<<<BG player.

Blackgate
Lightdivinity – Level 80 Bunker Elementalist
Reshaos – Level 80 Power Necromancer

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

Wow, that is going to get really old really fast.

Maybe my server can call a two-week WvW blackout and tank in ranks to diverse those match ups a bit.

<<<<BG player.

Heh

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

I think this is incredible news. Thank you, ANET.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

1. For those who don’t like the stale matches in T1: Players stacked into T1 so hard that they have no competition in T2. Just deserts.

2. Anyone else somewhat disappointed that they calculated the matchup probabilities by running 10,000 simulations instead of actually doing the math?

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Disband servers, bring back factions/alliances/other factor to determine teams. (Sorry to all who have paid for xfers).

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

Don’t really see how they could solve that however.

By creating mechanisms to make nearly all servers as even as possible, so the pool of even peer servers that can make a competitive fight is much larger.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Elana.2584

Elana.2584

I apologize if this idea has been brought up before (I’m still pretty new to WvW), but rather than using a complex ranking system and percentages to determine match-ups for all of the servers, why not use something a little simpler? For example (using NA servers):

1) Rather than ranks 1-24, we can have 8 “brackets” (A-H). For example:
A-1 = Blackgate
A-2 = JQ
A-3= SoR

B-1 = TC
B-2= FA
B-3= SoS …. etc

2) At the end of each week, the servers will shift depending on their scores: [Using Bracket C as an example]
1st place: move up to the next bracket [ from C to B ]
2nd place: stay in current bracket [ C ]
3rd place: move down to the lower bracket [ C to D ]

This will guarantee brackets B-G completely new match-ups each week. Brackets A and H won’t have as much variation, but it also means that they will be more likely to face off against servers they are most compatible with.

With server transfers, a server’s WvW population can be very different from one week to the next. Leagues was a very good example of this. With the current system, a server that may have been very weak last week, may get a large influx of players and dominate. That server would then be steamrolling in their current rank for several weeks at a time; leading to some of the very lopsided matches we’ve seen recently.

The bracket system would let the servers shift as their populations shift. Got a large influx of WvW’ers in your server? Then you’ll move up in brackets as you keep getting first place each week. You move up until you reach a bracket where you can’t constantly get first place. Likewise, if your server just lost all of its WvW population, and you keep getting 3rd place, you’ll move down in brackets until you’re not being steamrolled anymore.

I’m not sure if my explanation was fully clear, so here’s an example picture of how the servers would be matched up next week, if this system were in place. Do you think something like this could work? Maybe ANet could give it a try someday.

Attachments:

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

This is going to get really boring really fast…meeting the same servers week after week, month after month…

There were loads of threads complaining about this before…obviously Anet don’t learn from past mistakes…

Hopefully, season 2 of the league will save us at some point…

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I for one am happy about this. I will take balanced match ups over variety any time.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

This is going to get really boring really fast…meeting the same servers week after week, month after month…

There were loads of threads complaining about this before…obviously Anet don’t learn from past mistakes…

Hopefully, season 2 of the league will save us at some point…

Blame those who stacked to the higher servers. If we had roughly even populations throughout the servers, we’d have far more viable matchups.

Wait What?

in WvW

Posted by: Abstraction.3019

Abstraction.3019

Balanced > Variety.

For those who are at the losing end of these matchups in the coming week, play for the fights. And that goes for our server aswell. You will sleep better at night not worrying about the PPT so much. But that doesn’t mean stop caring about winning.

Goodluck all. I like this update.

Tomas Kopitar – Mindless Zerg [ING]
Dragonbrand