Where Are All The Devs?

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Commenting on issues that matter to WvW players?
Giving an update on things they’re working on? Estimate time on updates?

What happened? I feel extremely disappointed personally.
At least try looking as if you cared.

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

I think my signature will answer all your questions.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Supreme.4051

Supreme.4051

hiding from power creep

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: sukilih.6913

sukilih.6913

They don’t care about us… They see us as the redheaded step child

Ron burgundy
TC- milk was a bad choice

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

You mean giving us an update so that people can whine every single week about it not being released yet?
Or giving us an update that might change, and thus people will whine about being lied to and so on?

Why do you think they don’t tell us things anymore?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Because there is nothing to tell.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

See my signature.

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: BakaPhoenix.2087

BakaPhoenix.2087

See my signature.

Too bad, it the only reason why i bought the game and i’m still playing it :|

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Dhampyr.2104

Dhampyr.2104

You mean giving us an update so that people can whine every single week about it not being released yet?
Or giving us an update that might change, and thus people will whine about being lied to and so on?

Tell us things anymore? That would imply that they shared things with us in the first place. ANet Devs are really bad about communication – things like profession traits changing without documentation in patch notes, updates that are started three minutes after notification (c’mon, can’t believe folks can’t plan these things out and let us KNOW), etc.

Eve Morrow, Mesmer, Eve Flamescythe, Ele
Tarnished Coast

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: NonToxic.9185

NonToxic.9185

I think they don’t get it.

I believe that the staff’s previous interactions with the community, both in this forum and in the old match-up forum led them to believe the WvW players were loud, crass complainers. I think they don’t take any of the threads posted here seriously because of that.

I think that the flow of new meat (cough players) into WvW masks the steady stream of old dogs leaving. I suspect in terms of player population, WvW has always endured ups and downs. I don’t think there is anybody diligent enough on staff to look at the numbers and go “hmm, all but the 6 top servers lose a ton of people during these tournaments”.

I think that when Anet hears ‘we want new WvW content’, what they think players mean is a new goal to play WvW for, which is partially true. Mistforged weapons are a good example, the top servers are filled to the ears with players fighting tooth and nail for those rewards. I don’t think they see criticism of new (and old) systems as real, due to the previously mentioned ‘they are just meanies’ paradigm.

I think that the sPvP forums get significantly more attention because there is a controllable setting for balance and changes, and the critique that comes back is sometimes -very- wordy, but rarely as rude as the explosions seen on the WvW match-up forums. I don’t think they take us seriously. I don’t think they ever will. I suspect WvW will remain largely unchanged, because the capital we bring in as players is PEANUTS compared to some of the other players I know of with hundreds of dollars in gem store purchases, enormous organized guild events in cities, cosplay sessions, etc.

We don’t bring any water to town. Though I personally was sold on this game with WvW being a major element, I don’t think that has held true for the bigger part of GW2’s population. I see that the RP community was feeling wronged over the changes to wardrobes, and I see not only multiple threads responded to by devs, I see multiple threads made by devs to help remedy the situation. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt each of those upset RPers has a gem store receipt list longer than my arm. They don’t have any motivation to keep me here as a player.

TL;DR: They still have people playing WvW, that means it is ok. The community has been branded as rude and loud, none of the complaints will be heard. Serious WvWers do not usually contribute to the other community aspects of the game to the magnitude that serious non-WvW players do (which is not to insult any WvW guild’s contributions, but compared to what I have seen some of the PvE guilds do…), so there is little reason to appease us.

(edited by NonToxic.9185)

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Dhampyr.2104

Dhampyr.2104

snip

This makes me sad, but if I was a gambling guy, I’d bet you’re right.

Eve Morrow, Mesmer, Eve Flamescythe, Ele
Tarnished Coast

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

I got the impression from the latest staff member who came and went that anet employees who participate on the forum do so on their own time, so in that sense I understand why they don’t want to bother since it’s generally an avalanche of negativity in the WvW forum. However, it also seems endemic for devs to not understand why players who are very enthusiastic about their game are so frustrated by a few things that seem like common sense fixes and and improvements.

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Habib bailed a year ago.
Allie bailed a month ago.
Devon was feared off the ledge in eotm by a necro.
Josh ate 1000 lasers trying to defend B point on skyham.
Chris was trampled by a horde of robe-wearing dolyaks.
Colin is stuck in 2013 celebrating the Hawks SB with the Doge.

There’s just nobody left. We are all alone!

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

this.

the WvW community is exceedingly toxic towards any devs that post here.

when Devon first took over from Habib he was actually very involved and posted quite a bit, however every single thing he ever said got massively kittened on so it’s not hard to understand why he stopped posting altogether.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Jamais vu.5284

this.

the WvW community is exceedingly toxic towards any devs that post here.

when Devon first took over from Habib he was actually very involved and posted quite a bit, however every single thing he ever said got massively kittened on so it’s not hard to understand why he stopped posting altogether.

Maybe the WvW community would be less “toxic” if we got even a tiny slice of the attention the PvEers and sPvPers get? Also that was not my experience. Maybe take a look at the old threads people dug out recently. There was no toxicity there, because everyone was optimistic about Devon’s appointment. We do give new devs a chance.

Also stop collectively overusing that phrase. It’s the equivalent of “noob” at this point.

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

Every single time the dev used to give updates in this WvW forum, the players in here gave more negative posts than positive ones. Even when the changes were good the people that post in this forum are all always toxic towards the devs. If I was a dev I would have done the same…ignore this minority and stop posting.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

(edited by LightningBlaze.4913)

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

What we need is a dedicated WvW community liason, like they have for PvP.

There are toxic people everywhere on this forum, and some of those PvE threads are more toxic anything I’ve seen in the WvW threads.

The truth is, WvW is seen as “toxic” because when problems become serious in WvW, the devs are silent. The “silent treatment” has a powerful effect, just look at how well it works on your family. OF COURSE it bred more toxicity. This same problem happened in PvP and PvE at different times, then people at Anet stepped up and turned it around.

Hire someone with thick skin and good people skills, and let them salvage this. It is entirely possible to turn this around, you just need make it happen.

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Every single time the dev used to give updates in this WvW forum, the players in here gave more negative posts than positive ones.

That was because most of those updates were things that we players simply don’t want, or didn’t ask for, or the update was really poorly handled.

Bloodlust in the borderland and the ruins is one good example. The WvW Season 1 tourney with the transfer bandwagon and poor rewards is another good example. Toxic mobs in WvW? There’s another update that we players simply did not want, and now there are even more PvE mechanics in the EoTM map. We’ve got WvW Season 2 tourney going on now with the same transfer and bandwagon problems that we had in the first season, and the rewards aren’t very well thought out this time either.

All of this has been going on while things that we players have been asking for since day 1 are being ignored.

We don’t know if the final decisions on these things were made by the Devs who post/posted here, but those were the guys who took the brunt of our complaints, particularly Devon Carver. I almost feel sorry for that guy, particularly if the final decisions where not his, but how long can a gaming company go on producing material that the players simply don’t want?

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Nick.6972

Maybe the atmosphere here towards the devs would be less hostile if they listened to us what we have been asking for almost 2 years?

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

He’s an adult. If he can’t take criticism from a gamer community without hurting his feelings, then he is in the wrong business.

I would say it’s mostly his fault for not communicate nearly enough with his community.

[HUE]

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Nick.6972

Don’t these people get paid to be in touch with the customers?

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Jamais vu.5284

Even when the changes were good

Such as?

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Probably all have time off because EASTER!

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

GrandmaFunk.3052

Don’t these people get paid to be in touch with the customers?

No, they get paid to develop.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: pigdog.9215

pigdog.9215

You all need to remember this is a f2p game ( buying once) which gives us FREE content, it is a very new look on producing an MMORPG. Majority of devs are on different forums which are easily managed and have the most attention.

WvW is huge and they obviously do not have enough time to focus on WvW considering other major flaws in the game that they have been fixing ( the new patch ). They get their income purely from the gem store, they are fixing and strengthening game qualities that will encourage people to spend more in the gem store, therefore trying to prevent the game from dying and thus us not being able to play anymore.

I am mainly a WvWer and enjoy it even though i am aware of major flaws and feel a bit neglected by the lack of content, but I praise and love anet for trying the best they can for creating free content and continuously updating the game.

TL:DR Give them time to strengthen fixations in the game which provide the game its income to stay afloat by being less toxic and spoilt expecting things straight away. WvW will get fixed, eventually but being toxic, pessemistic and rude towards devs which don’t even get paid will not help us get anything we want.

Props to anet, and i look foward to the lovely patches you release to provide us players free content to keep us interested.

(edited by pigdog.9215)

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

GrandmaFunk.3052

They are also paid to get more people to play the game

They really aren’t.

that’s something that would fall under the job descriptions of ppl in the marketing and public relations (and to a lesser extent the customer service) departments.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

3 anet employees on TC
1 anet employee on JQ
1 anet employee on SoS

that i know of…. out of these, 1 works in the WvW team, that i know of. He/She plays regularily.

Would be neat though, if Anet employees would say which world they play on (some Anet employees jump around worlds a lot, just sayin)

Number of Anet employees that i heard has appeared on a EU server → 0

Who got shafted the most here you think??

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Where Are All The Devs?

Working on China/Asia GW2 release of course.

Its been very, very obvious for some time now. The ‘New Features’ patch should have been called the ‘China/Asia Features’ patch.

Probably, get them all back 1-3 months after GW2 release in China/Asia. Obviously its Anets/NCSoft no 1 priority currently and its fair enough.

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

You all need to remember this is a f2p game ( buying once) which gives us FREE content, it is a very new look on producing an MMORPG.

No it isn’t.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

pigdog.9215

You all need to remember this is a f2p game ( buying once) which gives us FREE content, it is a very new look on producing an MMORPG.

No it isn’t.

Would you like some facts with that statement?

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

No it isn’t.

Self evident, there have been lots of f2p games done before GW2.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

Where Are All The Devs?

Working on China/Asia GW2 release of course.

Good point. And let’s do acknowledge, some of the stuff int he feature patch was actually pretty cool, like the wardrobe.

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

No it isn’t.

It’s a buy-to-play game, slightly different than F2P and so far the ‘free’ content is included with your purchase.

I, too, wish they’d take these forums more seriously.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkus.2860

Pinkus.2860

There was a Dev playing on JQ in WvW yesterday. Poor little lamb just wouldn’t turn his / her tag off so kept getting mauled within seconds

Pinkus – Webmaster
First Light Gaming [DAWN] – PvX OCEANIC COMMUNITY – BLACKGATE
http://www.firstlightgaming.com

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

Devs all M.I.A.
World versus World down the tubes
I blame Queen Scarlet

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: GreenAlien.5623

GreenAlien.5623

I doubt the devs are all working on the chinese release.. It’s most likely done by different people… you know, people who actually speak and write chinese.. (that is, if they get the same game we do.. if they actually get all kinds of exclusive stuff and censorship, then maybe some of them are involved..)

(edited by GreenAlien.5623)

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

pigdog.9215

No it isn’t.

Self evident, there have been lots of f2p games done before GW2.

Would you like some context to back up your statement? Lol kid stop replying with no context

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

pigdog.9215

No it isn’t.

It’s a buy-to-play game, slightly different than F2P and so far the ‘free’ content is included with your purchase.

link to a game which offers as much as gw2 does for $50 ( $25 on sales ) for a mmorpg which releases updates and new content. Otherwise don’t try responding

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Finale.5281

Finale.5281

GW2 is no more a F2P game than Diablo 3 is F2P.

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Finale.5281

Finale.5281

GW2 is no more a F2P game than Diablo 3 is F2P.

Hey kid, go back to school before speaking garbage. Diabo 3 has expansions, gw2 doesnt because it releases its content through Living Story/updates. Schooled fool

You pay up front for both games. Not F2p
(As in you have to buy the game with cash before you can play)

Frankly I’d prefer an actual expansion to living story. Vanilla D3 also had content updates that weren’t expansions.

Good for you but it doesn’t change the fact that you’re wrong about it being the same.

That they’re both buy-to-play? I think not.

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I doubt the devs are all working on the chinese release.. It’s most likely done by different people… you know, people who actually speak and write chinese.. (that is, if they get the same game we do.. if they actually get all kinds of exclusive stuff and censorship, then maybe some of them are involved..)

Trust me the devs are working on China/Asia release and its no. 1 priority atm…

Anet create everything, then the Asia devs tweak it for there market.

I think the aim is to have NA/EU/ASIA running together with same story content, keeping the differences as small as possible. Its why no season 2 of living story, until Asia is aboard the train.

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Commenting on issues that matter to WvW players?
Giving an update on things they’re working on? Estimate time on updates?

What happened? I feel extremely disappointed personally.
At least try looking as if you cared.

After all the attention lavishly poured out on the upcoming PvP Tournament, I feel just as battered.

Sad that we have a game that is “alive” but they concentrate only on the “static” one that makes no difference to the server, just to five people on a single team.

What a letdown. It’s not just WvW that needs help but I still believe it needs the most attention of all the areas of the game that need improvement except for broken skills on every single character.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Jamais vu.5284

TL:DR Give them time to strengthen fixations in the game which provide the game its income to stay afloat by being less toxic and spoilt expecting things straight away. WvW will get fixed, eventually

They and you (the apologists) have been saying that for the last 2 years — even before it was released.
It’s a delaying tactic. And it doesn’t work anymore.

Props to anet, and i look foward to the lovely patches you release to provide us players free content to keep us interested.

You know, I’d rather pay for quality content. Free isn’t everything. It’s often the worst deal, actually.

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

No it isn’t.

link to a game which offers as much as gw2 does for $50 ( $25 on sales ) for a mmorpg which releases updates and new content. Otherwise don’t try responding

That was awfully aggressive, try to be more pleasant.

The Secret World recently went buy-to-play and seems to be still releasing content.

Star Trek Online, Star Wars the Old Republic, Lord of the Rings Online and Neverwinter Online keep sending me emails about newly released content, too.

Whilst these games may not release content as frequently, they do offer more permanent content.

My original post was to correct you on a point, not to say that this game doesn’t offer great content. Not everything in these forums is meant as a challenge or an insult.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

I just want to point out we’re not jealous children or insecure kittens. We’re all adults here who know we’re gettin kitten for service. I know it, everyone who has posted here knows it. No one’s even trying to argue otherwise, they’re just making excuses as to why the service is trash.

But I don’t care. If I have a bad day and go to a restaurant grumpy and rude, I still expect them to be attentive and polite.

Gate of Madness

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

GrandmaFunk.3052

But I don’t care. If I have a bad day and go to a restaurant grumpy and rude, I still expect them to be attentive and polite.

that’s called being an entitled jerk.

expect what you want, if you enter a business and act like that, they’re well within their rights to simply refuse to serve you.

just because you dropped some cash on a burger doesn’t allow you to berate or demean the employees, and there’s certainly nothing that requires them to stand there and take your abuse.

/reality check

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

I was told they are are assisting the release of gw2 in China.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

that’s called being an entitled jerk.

expect what you want, if you enter a business and act like that, they’re well within their rights to simply refuse to serve you.

just because you dropped some cash on a burger doesn’t allow you to berate or demean the employees, and there’s certainly nothing that requires them to stand there and take your abuse.

/reality check

Fine, the analogy falls apart.

Here they can delete those posts, ban people in cases like that. As well, there’s lots of thoughtful posters in this forum section.

WvW posters aren’t inherently more toxic than other posters. A lot of the bad will is built up from being ignored for so long.

All I want them to say is "We hear you and we’re going to improve communication/engagement with the WvW boards. Bam. That easy.

You also haven’t at all refuted that we’re getting really subpar service here. Like, are you happy with how things are? People are resurrecting threads that are over a year old ‘cause that’s where the dev posts are. It part protest, it’s part these people lookin to engage and it’s really sad to watch. How bad are things going to be a year from now? So bad they’ll shut this forum down like they did match ups?

I love WvW and I want to engage with the company on this and for an ongoing MMO with “Living Story” I think that ought to be. I think WvW is the real Living Story. It’s the story about friendships, last stands, triumphant marches, heartbreaks, courage and valour. And I want it to thrive not shrivel up.

That guy who said WvW players don’t contribute as much? Every server has voice chat, a website. There’s 50+ servers. That’s thousands of dollars being paid every month by WvW players to support the community spirit that Devon Carter said the WvW team wants from us.

But at this point the pretty appalling level of silence from ArenaNet in this forum section is hurting anyone that comes to these forums to engage. Any new visitor to this forum section is going to see what? Dev posts over a year old talking about things that have gotten no update and threads like this talking about how we’re ignored with the only counter point being “Y’all are jerks and deserve this”?

Gate of Madness

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: MAGpie.7962

MAGpie.7962

You want def response, report exploits or cheating, or say something “negative” about sPvP.

Where Are All The Devs?

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Maybe the atmosphere here towards the devs would be less hostile if they listened to us what we have been asking for almost 2 years?

That would be a huge step forward to less hostile/negative attitude of us ( yes including me )

We, the WvW players getting ignored most of the time so yea, toxic atmosphere is something you can expect then as were are still customers buying gems etc.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.