Why do WvW updates always encourage blobbing?

in WvW

Posted by: Repuran.1859

Repuran.1859

Making siege trade-able has really made WvW a lot worse for me, golems and omegas are now so cheap that servers like Vinzunah who travel in groups of 50+ just build 4-5 golems outside of each tower and use them to cap. It’s ridiculous.

Smaller groups or guild groups only travel with 10-25 which is how WvW should be played imo as then there’s no skill lag can only build 1-2 golems and then have no one to defend them or just use rams like before. But big blobs like Vizunah for example make 5 golems then have 40 people defending them whilst taking a t3 tower.

Full time Engi, Part time Ele

in WvW

Posted by: Bushido.2184

Bushido.2184

Every aspect of WvW encourages blobbing and zerging, and the game’s fundamental mechanics and lack of the holy trinity makes sticking close the only viable strategy. Many recent threads have been made on this already, and still it is not addressed.

Leet Hacker (War) | Linüx (Necro) | Linúx (Ele)
Quit to play my 2 favorite competitive fps and moba games ported to my favorite OS.

in WvW

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I dont think it ever will be addressed, its been like this since the start. Its just getting worse and worse

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Making siege trade-able has really made WvW a lot worse for me, golems and omegas are now so cheap that servers like Vinzunah who travel in groups of 50+ just build 4-5 golems outside of each tower and use them to cap. It’s ridiculous.
….

It is ridiculous, so lavish and a little bit funny

So now where are we in WvWvW?

- cheap golems and seige in general
- speed building rank abilities + Mesmer time warps/portals
- 30 sec delay on contested alert
- slow and expensive upgrades + no reward for babysitting the jokes that are T1 and even T2 structures
- waypoints still easy as pie to contest(why not at 95 or even 98%)
- 1 way entry to towers
- “night capping”
- the double edged sword that is the rally system

It ain’t looking good haha.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

What bugs me is that blob warfare is so dull.

There currently aren’t any mechanics to encourage large forces to spilt into smaller chunks, and their aren’t any mechanics to discourage overly large armies from getting together in the first place.

in WvW

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

What bugs me is that blob warfare is so dull.

There currently aren’t any mechanics to encourage large forces to spilt into smaller chunks, and their aren’t any mechanics to discourage overly large armies from getting together in the first place.

My idea was to make towers camps all the bosses within ALOT harder based on the number of people attacking. So the bigger your zerg the harder and longer the boss will be.

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

They did it to convince me to play sPvP instead of WvW. It worked.

in WvW

Posted by: NobodysHero.5839

NobodysHero.5839

Here’s a thought. Why not make player worth less points/exp and towers worth less (much less) the more players that tag it. This will cut the zerg down and you will see more 5 man groups running around.

in WvW

Posted by: Visiroth.5914

Visiroth.5914

Here’s a thought. Why not make player worth less points/exp and towers worth less (much less) the more players that tag it. This will cut the zerg down and you will see more 5 man groups running around.

Anet has already discarded this idea because of the negative atmosphere it will create with groups telling pugs to f off.

Having everyone on the map run in a super zerg is not, and never will be, the most efficient way to WvW. Of course it works well if you outnumber your opponent.

in WvW

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

There really does need to be some mechanic to give diminishing returns on each individual player. Not negative returns, but diminishing returns. I think more people above 15-20 should start giving lower and lower xp/rewards, with the numbers increasing the longer you are at an activity. In other words, large force vs. large force fighting over a tower/keep should build up to full rewards, while a huge zerg just steam-rolling gets very little.

Taking a tower with a 5-man team feels like an accomplishment, but it stinks when a 40 man group from the other team just comes by and wipes all your work every 10 mins to farm xp/rewards. Even setting up pre-emptive AC’s/ catas can’t stop it.

I do think they may have half of the puzzle right with stronger seige. The other piece needs to be a way to quickly get or be more effective with supply when outnumbered. One option is that your supply counts as double when outmanned. Another option is to have outmanned groups start with a fully-upgraded tower, or additional defense setup from breakout events.

Also, access to a sky-hammer around your starting area when outmanned would be great to get quick revenge on those that want to spawn-camp your entire server. I feel like this sort of activity should be very harshly punished as it just serves to demoralize an entire server and push everyone off the map.

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

in WvW

Posted by: pot.6805

pot.6805

Yup, the blobbing is insane in this game and every update encourages it more and more.

BeeGee
Beast mode

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

If we actually had a way for guilds and smaller groups to group and organize, perhaps we’d have less zergs. Having NO other way in the game for more than 5 people to group that is a zerg commander pin is part of the problem.

Give us a way to form private or guild only squads and we’d have less zerging and more medium sized forces all over the map.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Muspilli.6273

Muspilli.6273

Add your desires to the pile of billions. The ship has sailed and the engine is on full kitten.
There isn’t really any more elegant way of putting it.
Players have been crying for this since beta, but it seems impossible for these guys to enact any meaningful changes to address the auto attack blobs….
Think I will set sail, enjoy the flowers, and not log into Tyria for a while.

in WvW

Posted by: pacifist.1703

pacifist.1703

why not just make the tower / keep give exp /wxp to only like 30 ppl
that way u will not see alot of zerg with 40 – 50 man walking around taking things , at least not a karma train

in WvW

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

One out of two:
-they want to cater casuals cause they’ve finally decided to downgrade WvW to PvP for bored Pvers to cater them to the “pro Esport” Spvp, so they actually want zerging and skillless playing.
-they have no clue about WvW.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

One out of two:
-they want to cater casuals cause they’ve finally decided to downgrade WvW to PvP for bored Pvers to cater them to the “pro Esport” Spvp, so they actually want zerging and skillless playing.
-they have no clue about WvW.

Unfortunately the casual PvP player gets more priority over the guilds that enjoy running together but don’t have a decent IN-GAME grouping system to play together. If you don’t want to zerg, but have more than 5 people you have to use an inefficient system of running multiple groups together and using 3rd party programs.

How about a guild or private squad system so we can… you know.. actually group together without attracting every single player in the zone to our guild event?

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: eldavo.6054

eldavo.6054

Medieval warfare was all about being in very tight-knit formations. In fact the history of war was all about big formations of infantry (and cavalry) until after WWI. It’s possible that it’s going to be inherent for large groups to be dominant in our medieval-ish game no matter how the devs tweak things.

In GW2 higher pop matchups, groups of all sizes play important roles. If a mega-zerg is on the map, they might be able to flip anything but they are back-capped so quickly they will not get the better of the points game.

A server that is balanced with zergs but also has small teams flipping camps and yaks, scouts probing for coverage weaknesses and sentries watching approach routes and upgrading towers will win the day. On that kind of team you can find an important and satisfying role no matter what size group you like to run with. But for this scenario to happen your server needs to have the coverage and not all do.

Diaverse
Guardian – Commander – Officer of Rethesis [RE] Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

In GW2 higher pop matchups, groups of all sizes play important roles.

Exactly… yet GW2 gives us TWO choices to group in game for WvW. 5-man group or a massive zerg where you can’t control the numbers to stay under the 25 person limit for stealth capping.

We NEED a private or guild only squad system that allows players or guilds to group the way they enjoy instead of being forced into a system they don’t enjoy.

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

Anet should find some way for smaller well organized groups to have a chance to defend a keep or tower against a zerg. It’s not fun following the commander all day, which is why I chose the thief ;p

Melder – Thief

in WvW

Posted by: TripleZ.4630

TripleZ.4630

There is another alternative. Instead of reducing the benefits to the zerg, we could give benefits to the server with lower numbers.

The outmanned buff could be extended to give vitality and toughness bonuses, which should give smaller servers the advantage they need to compete with the bigger servers.

Additionally, the outmanned buff could be implemented in tiers, with each tier giving more bonuses (it could scale with the quantity by which the server is outnumbered).

Unfortunately, this would be bad for roamers, as they would sometimes have to fight against enemies with buffs. And also bad for duelists, but for them, there’s still sPvP.

The proposed solution to that, according to me, is to make the buff area wide, instead of map-wide. This should solve the issue for roamers, and those being zerged as well.