WvW Season One Rewards Are Unacceptable

in WvW

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

I still have tears in my eyes from laughing when I was reading this topic. If the rewards are truly so “unacceptable”, I suggest you don’t accept them, either by not opening the chest (I assume it is too late for that), or by destroying it’s content, and/or by donating tradeable items to the poor.

PS: The only thing that I found “unacceptable” with respect to the WvW Season rewards was the fact that, for seven weeks, people were willing to let towers and keeps fall into enemy hands just because they were busy farming achievements to get their precious, precious WvW reward chest.

~MRA

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

in WvW

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

So I hear that only the winning server of each league got the finishers.
We already some servers purposely lose matches just before the season so they would get easy fights in the silver league instead of gold; now this will just get more servers trying to get themselves into easier fights if we get a S2.

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

im still laughing at the reward. at least we got dolyak pets. can we get a mini thief to gank it for next season?

That would actually be pretty cool.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Lifewaster.5912

Lifewaster.5912

Crap rewards = complaints from winners. Good rewards = complaints from everyone else about how unfair transfers and stacked off peak timezones.

I guess Anet went with the majority for this one.

I’m happy with the mini dolyak. Would be cool if it let you carry 1 extra supply.

in WvW

Posted by: Sleepless.1906

Sleepless.1906

I only just noticed that the OP is HoD. Hopefully he’ll understand what I’m talking about here with our (Darkhaven’s) upset over SF… My guild and I put a 70+ hour week into last week… I’m still in a state of shock over how disappointing the rewards are and that DH received absolutely nothing to congratulate us on coming second place in Bronze league.

And for those talking about bandwagon servers being a problem… what about the story of Darkhaven? We lost two of our biggest WvW guilds, but despite all odds managed to pull together and place second. Not rewarding such a thing will only lead to increased bandwagoning – because clearly only first is good enough for any recognition.

And the reward for the servers that place first is only a temporary thing! Souvenirs of your accomplishments are a hugely important thing in MMOs – I can’t believe that GW2 are overlooking such an important aspect of these games. If I reactivated my WoW account right now, I could take you to my bank and show you so many things from my years there… and I could tell you about the people I earned them with and what was going on at the time… It gives me a shiver of nostalgia just thinking about it.

in WvW

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I only just noticed that the OP is HoD. Hopefully he’ll understand what I’m talking about here with our (Darkhaven’s) upset over SF… My guild and I put a 70+ hour week into last week… I’m still in a state of shock over how disappointing the rewards are and that DH received absolutely nothing to congratulate us on coming second place in Bronze league.

And for those talking about bandwagon servers being a problem… what about the story of Darkhaven? We lost two of our biggest WvW guilds, but despite all odds managed to pull together and place second. Not rewarding such a thing will only lead to increased bandwagoning – because clearly only first is good enough for any recognition.

And the reward for the servers that place first is only a temporary thing! Souvenirs of your accomplishments are a hugely important thing in MMOs – I can’t believe that GW2 are overlooking such an important aspect of these games. If I reactivated my WoW account right now, I could take you to my bank and show you so many things from my years there… and I could tell you about the people I earned them with and what was going on at the time… It gives me a shiver of nostalgia just thinking about it.

on a different note, this is one of the bad effects of having most good drops be completely random, or bought via some currency. You wont remember the 20th time you beat COF and got a full armor set, or the day you and your friends bought invader armor with badges, no one was probably around when you got your precurspr from the forge.

It has advantages, but somethings should be memorable, should be gotten in specific ways

in WvW

Posted by: Bettan.3576

Bettan.3576

I’m having a lot of fun in WvW, and that should be enough, gaming should be it’s own reward. I only play WvW (and lvl new chars that I use for WvW) and I don’t give a flying kitten about any reward chest, I didn’t even know what achievements I had to do to get it, even though I spend close to 100% of my time in WvW. Does that make me better player than anyone else? No, but it seems to make me a happier one.
If you’re only doing WvW for the reward, then something is wrong. You should be playing for fun.
And if you are having fun, why does it matter what reward you got?
I know a lot of ppl do not agree with me, but these are my thoughts anyway.

House of Mirrors – Seafarer’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: alexjolly.1463

alexjolly.1463

I’m having a lot of fun in WvW, and that should be enough, gaming should be it’s own reward. I only play WvW (and lvl new chars that I use for WvW) and I don’t give a flying kitten about any reward chest, I didn’t even know what achievements I had to do to get it, even though I spend close to 100% of my time in WvW. Does that make me better player than anyone else? No, but it seems to make me a happier one.
If you’re only doing WvW for the reward, then something is wrong. You should be playing for fun.

Because there are other types of players in this game, PvErs, PvPers etc.
And one specific group gets Anets undying attention when it comes to rewards, content etc (PvErs) when Seasons came out I thought this was Anet finally balancing it out but I guess I was wrong.

Bnok – [EXG] Desolation
“A leader leads by example, not by force.” – Sun Tzu

in WvW

phys.7689

some people do things just because they like it, some do it for profit, some do it for both. In order to have something be successful across many people it should attempt to satisify most of these people.

in WvW

Posted by: Bettan.3576

Bettan.3576

some people do things just because they like it, some do it for profit, some do it for both. In order to have something be successful across many people it should attempt to satisify most of these people.

Yeah… that does make a certain amount of sense
But I still wished more ppl would just, you know… enjoy the game, instead of chasing achievements. I’ve hated achievements since I first encountered them in gaming, they feel cheap.
But yeah, you have a good point there, so I won’t argue about that.

House of Mirrors – Seafarer’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: Sleepless.1906

Sleepless.1906

on a different note, this is one of the bad effects of having most good drops be completely random, or bought via some currency. You wont remember the 20th time you beat COF and got a full armor set, or the day you and your friends bought invader armor with badges, no one was probably around when you got your precurspr from the forge.

It has advantages, but somethings should be memorable, should be gotten in specific ways

I agree. Loot in this game has this feeling about it… like everything is hardly better than vendor trash.

This is odd, because one of the main reasons I came here was because of gearing up. I’m an altoholic and play many toons – and I enjoy all of them. And in WoW, with every new season of pvp there is a new tier of stronger pvp gear. So, every season I had to gear up 10 different toons.

Exotic suited me very well – all drops were basically trash, but at least gearing was super easy. But with ascended it is becoming increasingly painful.

And this… well, I’ve already said what bothers me about this.

I’m already out. I’ll be playing ESO when it comes out. This is not the first straw, this is the last.

in WvW

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The reward was the dolyak miniature.

The rest was just fluff. They are fine as they are for this season.

The Season 1 meta achievement didn’t promote WvW.

It promoted players to take up WvW slots to grind some numbers.

The achievements weren’t like “Take or defend X towers” they were only “take”, so people who wanted to take towers would left towers unguarded on purpose, as a tower near your base is easier to take again that a tower further away, and there was no point on defending it. Ruins? Instead “take bloodlust for your world X times” is “capture X ruins”. Captring ruins doesn’t help your world unless you do take bloodlust.

WvW achievements should have been only for things that count towards WvW score.
Kill enemies? No. Stomp enemies under Bloodlust.
Take camps, kill dolyaks? No. Take and maintain supply lines.
Take towers? No. Take AND defend towers, so they score.
Break gates and walls? Kill guards? No. Break gates and walls and kill guards of locations that get captured.

The next season, if they make achievements that actually promote WvW, and if they address other of the issues affecting WvW, then, and only then, they could add more meaningful rewards.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

in WvW

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

Better than nothing, I don’t play wvw for rewards and knowing Anet/GW2 I never expected anything good anyway… 20-40 gold per guild raid is a great bonus beside the enjoyement of fighting against great guilds and busting blobs.
If you finished the season 1 achievements in hopes of getting a massive reward and played wvw just for that reason, then … well, kitten off ;-]

in WvW

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

I was very happy with the rewards

1. at least now we know for season 2 it will mean less queues, due to disappointed ppl not returning for such little rewards.
2. ppl that bandwagoned to a potentially winning server had no need too, which messed with balance.
3. servers that tanked down to a lower league expecting riches had no need too and may think twice about doing it again.
4. if it was anything worth more we would have had the same bullkitten queues/transfers/server tanking crap that we had this season. other than that it was awesome stuff.

More fool all of the above.^^
For those that played and fought as they normally do didn’t expect too much and didn’t go out of their way to complete the achievements knowing it would come in time with regular play good on you, and hope they have a season 2 to face u again.

Season 1 wasn’t about the rewards for me it was about the variety of servers we fought and fun times we had, and it was kittening ace.

When is having TOO many people wanting to participate in your game ever a BAD idea? They’re making an entire new map just to handle this problem. Chasing folks away by offering perceived inferior rewards, which your happy about cause it chases folks out of WvW is just bad bad bad.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

When is having TOO many people wanting to participate in your game ever a BAD idea? They’re making an entire new map just to handle this problem. Chasing folks away by offering perceived inferior rewards, which your happy about cause it chases folks out of WvW is just bad bad bad.

When the game can’t handle it?
And no, Edge of the Mists won’t really solve the issue either, since it doesn’t actually contribute to the “real” matches.

They absolutely want people to participate, but I doubt they want everyone to stack on 6 servers just because those are most likely to win.
And that is the main issue, people are so obsessed with rewards so that would do anything to get them, including making everything worse for both themselves and others.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

When the game can’t handle it?
And no, Edge of the Mists won’t really solve the issue either, since it doesn’t actually contribute to the “real” matches.

They absolutely want people to participate, but I doubt they want everyone to stack on 6 servers just because those are most likely to win.
And that is the main issue, people are so obsessed with rewards so that would do anything to get them, including making everything worse for both themselves and others.

Ok, I will grant you that having long que’s on top servers is an issue, however again, from a game ownership perspective, chasing folks away from WvW will never, should never be the answer. Plus this isn’t a communist system, to the victors go the spoils. You can say what you want, but there (aside from a bug that is rumored) a cap on players. So unless you’re speaking of a 24/7 coverage issue, it is the same number of players v the same number of players, the rest of us are stacked in que or soon the new wvw map waiting on a que. If you’re that upset about sitting in a que, xfer to a less populated servers. One of our long time sister guilds from DaoC did that very thing.

However, doesn’t look like, at least in this game, you can have it both ways, no que’s and top servers. Face it, if your facing a world with que’s and you have no que’s you’re probably going to be outmanned which usually equates to a loss.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Exactly, which means that with awesome rewards it would be pointless to play WvW on any server other than those that would most likely win, since you would be more or less constantly outmanned and never have much of a chance of winning.
Which is my point.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: hobbes.6178

hobbes.6178

I have said it many times on these forums: ArenaNet constantly shows signs of not knowing what they are doing or how to properly reward effort in their own game.

The sheer amount of disgust I felt when I opened my chest was astounding.

in WvW

Posted by: Nivelis.8763

Nivelis.8763

good film about reward

:D

in WvW

Posted by: Nivelis.8763

Nivelis.8763

Exactly, which means that with awesome rewards it would be pointless to play WvW on any server other than those that would most likely win, since you would be more or less constantly outmanned and never have much of a chance of winning.
Which is my point.

no sir, thats not the point

Rewards should be quite the same for all servers. Like unique weapon/armor skins or tokens for uniqe price, 1 exotic weapon/armor, 50 gold, 20 lauerls, 500 badges of honor. Winners should get bonus like finishers, and thats ok, and maybe 5% more tokens/materials/gold for each place

in WvW

Posted by: Flatypus.2498

Flatypus.2498

lol thanks for linking that

I didn’t actually get 9 spikes, but what we did get for that much investment wasn’t worth it. If the tiers were lower I would have been okay with it, but the amount of time it took was insane.

I do like the title and Mini Dolyak though

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

no sir, thats not the point

Rewards should be quite the same for all servers. Like unique weapon/armor skins or tokens for uniqe price, 1 exotic weapon/armor, 50 gold, 20 lauerls, 500 badges of honor. Winners should get bonus like finishers, and thats ok, and maybe 5% more tokens/materials/gold for each place

Yes, and I have never claimed anything other than that.
The people I am arguing with is those that seem to want the winning server to get WAY better rewards than those that didn’t win.
Which would create the issues I am talking about.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Vael Victus.2654

Vael Victus.2654

Also, remember the APs we got, at least.

in WvW

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

I think that these rewards are perfect. It will guarantee that those of us who truly love wvw will be able to access it and that those only interested in trinkets will stay in pve land.

OP’d thief, lol

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

Loved the vid!

As far as the rewards are concerned I think most WvW players are ok with them.
I got that achive without trying. The only thing I hated was the jumping puzzle, but with a WvW guild all you need is to go there once with your guild and get it.

Please don’t improve rewards anet! The last thing we need in WvW is the repeat of a train going through ruins to cap blood lust over an over again.
It was a good bonus to the FINALY ended season, snif, I am off to celebrate regular WvW matchups.

in WvW

Posted by: Zolazie Grengche.3051

Zolazie Grengche.3051

I’m happy with the “rewards”. WvW is all I play, and it was a bit of a pain trying to get into maps with all the people that were in there simply trying to get achievements. I am hoping the folks that are disappointed don’t clog the que’s next time around.

Heing [foxy] Jade Quarry

in WvW

phys.7689

Which is my point.

Or, they could deal with the server transfer issue. Truth is this. It should be a commitment what WvW server you play on, its one of the main reasons servers even exist.

They could also use some systems/rewards which are focused on server pride. Things you only have access to once you have earned it with a certain server.

As far as awesome rewards, we arent talking about straight up rewards, WvW needs those, but those should be personally earned. We are talking about rewards the show/highlight what your server did. Things that dont mean as much if you arent really a part of that team. lets say the finisher had a huge golden sword impale the enemy that said blackgate. that wouldnt be that valuable if you werent a proud member of blackgate.

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

I like achievement points.
I love my mini dolyak.
The extra magic find is nice.

I don’t feel I needed anything else.
I heard stories of golden dolyak finishers and stuff like that. /shrug@it.
I make tons of exotics and rares every single day in WvW.
I average 8g a day when karma training, and 5g just doing random stuff.

I had the WvW season title in the first week of the season.

I am the best!

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Or, they could deal with the server transfer issue. Truth is this. It should be a commitment what WvW server you play on, its one of the main reasons servers even exist.

They could also use some systems/rewards which are focused on server pride. Things you only have access to once you have earned it with a certain server.

The main issue with that however is that it would punish people and/or guilds that would transfer for other reason than for rewards or whatever, and that is not really a good solution either.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

phys.7689

The main issue with that however is that it would punish people and/or guilds that would transfer for other reason than for rewards or whatever, and that is not really a good solution either.

what is a good reason to transfer in WvW? Shouldnt you have to earn something in the new server you are in? Afterall, whose to say you deserve to wear Stormbluff Ilse Coats if you been killing em for the past 100 days. Should you have access to the StormBluff Ilse Commanders instance?

Point is transfering WvW servers should have a cost associated with it, and there should be somethings that only loyalists earn.

in WvW

MRA.4758

The reward was the dolyak miniature.

The rest was just fluff. They are fine as they are for this season.

The Season 1 meta achievement didn’t promote WvW.

It promoted players to take up WvW slots to grind some numbers.

The achievements weren’t like “Take or defend X towers” they were only “take”, so people who wanted to take towers would left towers unguarded on purpose, as a tower near your base is easier to take again that a tower further away, and there was no point on defending it. Ruins? Instead “take bloodlust for your world X times” is “capture X ruins”. Captring ruins doesn’t help your world unless you do take bloodlust.

WvW achievements should have been only for things that count towards WvW score.
Kill enemies? No. Stomp enemies under Bloodlust.
Take camps, kill dolyaks? No. Take and maintain supply lines.
Take towers? No. Take AND defend towers, so they score.
Break gates and walls? Kill guards? No. Break gates and walls and kill guards of locations that get captured.

The next season, if they make achievements that actually promote WvW, and if they address other of the issues affecting WvW, then, and only then, they could add more meaningful rewards.

Why can I up-vote a post so full of wisdom an truth within an ocean of entitlement and ignorance only once?

But you should mind that most of the shortcomings you point out are due to the underlying system GW2 uses. A reward for “Take and maintain supply lines” would be more than just awesome, by the game engine doesn’t support the notification of such instances on a per player basis. Just recall that ANet has been unable to fix the missing “Defend your supply caravan” event rewards since launch, since they have no reliable “success notification” for such events.

However, in the absence of a meaningful reward system, I would choose “no reward” anytime over “rewards that encourage strategically dumb play”. I just hope that ANet will recognize their mistake and will learn from the wrong incentives they put in place with the achievements in this season.

~MRA

(edited by MRA.4758)

in WvW

MRA.4758

When is having TOO many people wanting to participate in your game ever a BAD idea?

It is, if success in your game relies on training and building up strategies and tactics that (almost) every player knows and adheres.

Just imagine a soccer game (or this American kind of football thing where balls are carried with hands, if your prefer) where, during the finals, not the competing teams are sent on the field to earn the cup, but for every side the first 11 people in the stadium that happen to enter the field once the gates open. And then mix in an achievement mechanism that only rewards the player that is holding the ball. This surely must turn out to be high-quality skillful game-play, indeed.

~MRA

(edited by MRA.4758)

in WvW

Posted by: Twinny.9304

Twinny.9304

I was very happy with the rewards

1. at least now we know for season 2 it will mean less queues, due to disappointed ppl not returning for such little rewards.
2. ppl that bandwagoned to a potentially winning server had no need too, which messed with balance.
3. servers that tanked down to a lower league expecting riches had no need too and may think twice about doing it again.
4. if it was anything worth more we would have had the same bullkitten queues/transfers/server tanking crap that we had this season. other than that it was awesome stuff.

More fool all of the above.^^
For those that played and fought as they normally do didn’t expect too much and didn’t go out of their way to complete the achievements knowing it would come in time with regular play good on you, and hope they have a season 2 to face u again.

Season 1 wasn’t about the rewards for me it was about the variety of servers we fought and fun times we had, and it was kittening ace.

The point i was making you have more or less explained ur self, ppl taking up the queues weren’t there to enjoy WvW, they were there because of rewards, this is proven fact since many posts here state they wont bother partaking again if the rewards stay the same.

Twinny Todd – Guardian – FSP [PunK]
Big Bad Bunny – Necro – FSP [PunK]

in WvW

Posted by: alexjolly.1463

alexjolly.1463

As far as the rewards are concerned I think most WvW players are ok with them.

We apparently don’t know the same people. I don’t think one person on Deso agreed with the rewards. People in my guild even started using the ‘WvW S1 achievement’ as a metaphor for bad things.

I think the rewards should have been better but I don’t think that there should have been a drastic difference between 1st and last.

brb going to go do some PvE and make the same gold value as the 7 week meta in 5 minutes.

Bnok – [EXG] Desolation
“A leader leads by example, not by force.” – Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Laiboch.4380

Laiboch.4380

I am sorry, but every time I see the results of the reward chest I just kinda lol inside.

All those guilds that jumped servers, and all the guilds that paid to have them jump servers just for the rewards kind of got what they deserved. I nice big chest of shut the kitten up.

This “WvW Season” was a great idea, but not locking down the servers and having mass migrations made it simply a very sad several weeks to be honest. I am not saying that It was not a good idea, but a bit more forethought needs to be put into events such as this by the development group. The net result was people flocking to the servers they thought would win so they could get an EZ card and free uber lewtz, and not locking down the servers to prevent guild poaching has resulted in the near destruction of several servers WvW population. Not just from transfers, but from guilds getting sick of being run over by 3 and 4 times their numbers simply because of greed.

Zoe Pain [GASM]
DB Night Crew

in WvW

phys.7689

When is having TOO many people wanting to participate in your game ever a BAD idea?

It is, if success in your game relies on training and building up strategies and tactics that (almost) every player knows and adheres.

Just imagine a soccer game (or this American kind of football thing where balls are carried with hands, if your prefer) where, during the finals, not the competing teams are sent on the field to earn the cup, but for every side the first 11 people in the stadium that happen to enter the field once the gates open. And then mix in an achievement mechanism that only rewards the player that is holding the ball. This surely must turn out to be high-quality skillful game-play, indeed.

~MRA

but this is war, imagine your villages fate was partially determined by the number of people willing to fight for it. Imagine if your village was rich enough/smart enough/skilled enough/populus enough they could get things of value.

Imagine by building up your villages fighting prowess you could win things

This is what world versus world is meant to simulate. Your town versus theres, your strengths versus theirs, its not supposed to be an even match like football, or soccer. (thats spvp) Its supposed to be your community versus their community. One of the main issues in US is server isnt seen as your community by many.

in WvW

Posted by: Fannwong.3059

Fannwong.3059

Hello Phys,

The issue here is that WvW is part war and part game.

The “war” analogy can be applied to the way the maps are played, the tactics and strategy used. What you said is spot on. There’s no such thing as even numbers to bring in a map.

However, if a server in the tier chooses overwhelm the competition by having forces in time zone where the other servers aren’t able compete then that server would win BUT at the risk of having the other servers getting demoralized to a point where people leave the server, wvw or the game itself. That would be bad for everyone because the winning server would have less people to fight. It’s a lose-lose situation for everyone in the long term.

FW

~MRA

but this is war, imagine your villages fate was partially determined by the number of people willing to fight for it. Imagine if your village was rich enough/smart enough/skilled enough/populus enough they could get things of value.

This is what world versus world is meant to simulate. Your town versus theres, your strengths versus theirs, its not supposed to be an even match like football, or soccer. (thats spvp) Its supposed to be your community versus their community. One of the main issues in US is server isnt seen as your community by many.

[SoX] – JQ

in WvW

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

Being from Mag, I’m glad to see all of the bandwagoners got boned.

Hope the gems were worth it!

I acquired my reward of killing tons and tons of bandwagoners and jumping on their bodies post-mortem. Mission Accomplished Anet.

One of the main issues in US is server isnt seen as your community by many.

Spoken like someone who’s never been on Mag.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

(edited by deathTouch.9706)

in WvW

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I acquired my reward of killing tons and tons of bandwagoners and jumping on their bodies post-mortem. Mission Accomplished Anet.

Lol. +15 to this post! The complaining is the best reward of the game.

This is the reason casuals won’t get on teamspeak. Such a nice community.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in WvW

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

Lol. +15 to this post! The complaining is the best reward of the game.

This is the reason casuals won’t get on teamspeak. Such a nice community.

Or because they are farming the achievements and don’t care about real wvw? Idk about other servers but being from Desolation I am ever so grateful the leagues are over and the pvers went back to their dungeons. Now I can actually play the part of the game I enjoy and don’t have a queued map with 40 people in the jumping puzzle or doing similar things…

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in WvW

phys.7689

Hello Phys,

The issue here is that WvW is part war and part game.

The “war” analogy can be applied to the way the maps are played, the tactics and strategy used. What you said is spot on. There’s no such thing as even numbers to bring in a map.

However, if a server in the tier chooses overwhelm the competition by having forces in time zone where the other servers aren’t able compete then that server would win BUT at the risk of having the other servers getting demoralized to a point where people leave the server, wvw or the game itself. That would be bad for everyone because the winning server would have less people to fight. It’s a lose-lose situation for everyone in the long term.

FW

~MRA

I think server pops are another issue, I dont really have the numbers, only anet knows that. But if numbers show its virtually impossible for lower pop servers to compete, then they should probably create weight classes for WvW. Base it on man hours played on that server.

This would ensure no blowouts strictly due to population. At that point getting demoralized… well it would be a server/community issue. As servers grow in coverage, they get shifted to new heavyweight, or when they drop in participation to middleweight. Of course this assumes the cause of blowouts is to great a difference in populations, and that servers cant really beat high pop servers.

in WvW

Posted by: sevenDEADLY.5281

sevenDEADLY.5281

Maybe they’ll make the rewards better when you can’t simply pay guilds to transfer to your server and buy a victory.

in WvW

Posted by: Righteous.4307

Righteous.4307

Just going to leave this here…

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander
http://mugw2.enjin.com/

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I don’t understand the argument against why wvw should not be more rewarding than it currently is, even though we all know wvw is not well balanced and as such it’s not really a Fair Competitive game type.

They brought in World ranks for a reason: To entice players into wvw and reward those who play wvw regularly, just like the Leagues.
The only problem is that it only encouraged people to play the Karma Train and Zerg meta, as you earn alot more WXP from all that. (no offence to my Leeching Friends..)

You see these queues and stacked Servers due to the influx of players from PVE is what they wanted to achieve, it’s also thanks to those Mass transfers that only forced Guilds and players off their own Server, just to be able to play wvw with who they want.

I don’t play for the reward either, I play for my community, the challenge and for the fun. I didn’t even complete my wvw Achievements, which were poorly thought out anyway.
I just think that the Rewards for finishing in the top 3 of the Leagues could’ve been a little better or at least related to wvw, if they were serious about the whole competition.

People put in different amounts of effort, those who put in alot of effort for their community will have gotten recognition, but don’t they deserve a bit more reward after 7 weeks?
Even if many of the Leagues and scheduled Matchups became very one-sided affairs, due to population imbalance and coverage disparities, I think they do.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

This is the single greatest video ever when it comes to WvW rewards.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

ArenaNet,
I am sure that over the course of the next week that you will see countless threads popping up complaining about the rewards found in the WvW Season One reward chest. I don’t want to waste your time, but to be blunt something needs to be done. The rewards are… not only underwhelming, but for the health of WvW moving forward I feel that the current reward is inexcusable. Rewards in for events in GW2 (and any game) serve a few key functions:

1. Motivate players to partake in an event.
2. Provide adequate time/reward compensation to players who participate.
3. Grant players a feeling of accomplishment.

The current WvW Season One rewards do none of the above as the same reward for a 7 week undertaking is equal to about 30-40 minutes farming Frostgorge Sound. The implications may be greater than you previously anticipated. The full impact of the lackluster Season One reward should not be underestimated. Many servers in Bronze/Silver league worked diligently to recruit and motivate players who had never participated in the WvW game mode. Given the insignificant current reward getting people to try (and continue to play WvW) will only become harder. If no action is taken, when WvW Season 2 rolls around fewer players will be motivated to participate because the reward is not worth the investment of their time. Furthermore, as I’m sure you can see, the vast majority of the Season One participants feel that the reward was inadequate compared to their time investment. Finally, I think that it is safe to say that the current rewards provide absolutely no sense of accomplishment for anyone.

So, here is my clear and concise recommendation:

Amend the WvW Season One reward chest by providing the following-

1. Provide a unique, worthwhile reward for every player on every server who earned the reward key. Here are some suggestions:
a. An ascended quality back piece with a unique skin that is only awarded at the end of a season. (Think Karka Shell or Fractal Capacitor)
b. Utilize the release of the upcoming ascended armor release and reward players with a single set of ascended armor.
c. A single unique weapon skin (allow each player select one weapon from a set) that is only awarded in the WvW Season chests.

2. Remove the 250 count from the Gold/Silver/Bronze Dolyak finishers and make them permanent until the beginning of Season 2. The top 3 servers in each league should be given the gold for first, silver for second, and bronze for third. Essentially you would be giving 9 servers finishers rather than only 3. Clearly this would provide less insensitive for players to rush to a handful of servers and more intensive for players to participate spread throughout the range of servers so that nobody has to deal with a 4-5 hour queue.

Many are suggesting that we as a community simply accept the current reward and move on. However I would encourage you to consider the long term implications of inadequate rewards on the GW2 playerbase between now and the end of Season 2. ArenaNet has these forums so that the players have a clear channel of communication to the developers. Luckily, ArenaNet does listen and is taking strides at showing that with the Collaborative Discussion as well as removing the Flamekissed Light Armor Skin being removed/reworked. Make your voice heard.

As a resident of Ft. Aspenwood, the winner of the Silver competition, I not only agree, I am witnessing exactly what this thread was created to avert, an exodus from WvW by brand new WvW players who are sorely disappointed that they wasted so much time for so little.

Now that the “season” is over the population in WvW on Ft. Aspenwood has dropped appreciably – and it is in direct proportion to the rewards for the meta that people are overwhelmingly disappointed over.

WvW is the game that Guild Wars was intended to be – the end game with multiple levels of good, but this one bad is enough to stop good players from doing WvW for “other” content – and know this Anet, we NEED those players. They were happy when they thought some great reward was due.

Below is a posting about not getting much for doing a LOT of dolyak guarding, repairing and running camps over and over and over to maintain what is being seen as a + in our column to get closer to a “win”.

Seasons need to mean something.

We fought our hearts out and received, what, for our first place in Silver? Gah! Not even gems??? What kind of “chest” did the second and third place get? I am sure I don’t want to know at this point.

Anet, we respectfully ask that you guard WvW for the future – it is the bread and butter of the game.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

(edited by atheria.2837)

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Hey! Anet could take a page out of that animation that I’d love to see… a chest, larger than life coming from above, it was magic!

And the reward? Yes, I agree it was kittenkittenkittenkittenkitten.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

(edited by atheria.2837)

in WvW

Posted by: CEDWYN.5392

CEDWYN.5392

a exodus from WvW by brand new WvW players who are sorely disappointed that they wasted so much time for so little.

I like the idea of a wvw tournament influencing new people to try out WvW. Fresh blood to keep it going, but unfortunately anet has done all the wrong things to influence a positive response from your typical non-wvw player:

1) Achievements not focusing on key aspects of the game like yak escorting, keep upgrading, supply management (ie. not draining supply from a keep that needs it to finish an upgrade); or focusing on tasks that have little benefit like jumping puzzles, ruin capping (not bloodlust capping, influences cap trading), merc camp flipping.

2) Time investment, return of investment not equal to other parts of the game. Ie. Karka event gave a 20-slot bag and a decent accessory for 3-4 hours of time. Compare to WvW (not just the chest), player bags blues/greens, rank up chests greens, keep captures only useful for champ bags, ascended mats, wxp. WvW is ‘train’ or bust for decent loot.

3) Nothing unique to wvw. No skins, no gear, no weapons.

I like PVP for PVP, but I also like some bling to show off. I hate doing PVE just to afford a new skins or get a better weapon. Getting such a thing is 1001% easier in PVE than getting it via WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Alvain.7364

Alvain.7364

Summary of people thinking the rewards were acceptable:

“Lol, did you expect something better?” -> Not an argument, Anet can and should reward their wvw-community better.

“Lol, there you go for messing with mah queue” -> Queues are broken, but yeah, some of us needed to wait hours to get in to wvw. This is because grindy achievement goals (what was it again, 225 dollies, waste 300 supply, something like that?). Not an argument for the crappy loot, this is an argument for fixing the queue and balancing the server population.

“Lol, I’m happy with my mini dolly” -> Sure, it’s cool. Living story gets these out of perhaps one day of focused playing.

So, yeah, the rewards are unacceptable.

in WvW

MRA.4758

but this is war, imagine your villages fate was partially determined by the number of people willing to fight for it.

But, well, it isn’t. There is a cap on each map, and once this magic number of between 60 and 100 fighters have entered the war, no new fighters are allowed. As such, it is a war between “the first” fighters on the field, and not between the most rich, smart, skilled, or whatever (as I tried to point out by my analogy).

And no, I don’t understand WvW as “structured PvP”, either. But I certainly understand WvW as “social PvP”, where a community develops organizational structures, strategies, and tactics that allows them to perform well in WvW. If you add an unproportionally high influx of new players to the mix, that either don’t know or just don’t care about the community effort, and who are directed by harmful incentives, then you might easily destroy what has been build up in months.

Also, in the light of your war analogy, I find the situation even more disturbing. When has someone ever heard of a war where the defending fighters decided “Aw, they are attacking our homeland again? Nah, I don’t care, let them butcher those dumb kittens who unreasonably stayed behind to defend it, and let them take it. Then we can retake it in 5 minutes once the lord buff is gone, and let it fall again. This is a way more efficient rotation to farm my achievements, anyways.”

So, yeah, the rewards are unacceptable.

Then just don’t accept the rewards, destroy them. No one forces you to take the rewards.

~MRA

(edited by MRA.4758)