WvW matchup forum being wiped

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

This thread was locked a few minutes ago. Now it’s open.

Mmm.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in WvW

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

They have been deleting a ton of replies all day

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in WvW

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

Posting just so I get a PM from mod stating:

Your msg has been removed due to the quoted post has besn deleted.

Lel

Commander Nachonix

in WvW

Posted by: Burl.9567

Burl.9567

Am I the only one who thought the threads were getting pretty tame as of late? After leagues, I thought the threads had died down quite a bit and have been much more focused on the fights rather than trolling. 8-10 months ago I could see making this change, but not now.

in WvW

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

…there is smack talk and sure there are a few trolls.

The problem is that it wasn’t a bit of smack talk and a few trolls. It was almost ENTIRELY smack talk and trolling. Constructive and friendly posts were/are few and far between. I’d bet the vast majority of bannings across these forums came directly out of those threads.

you are missing the point, the WvW matchup threads give you context to the story of the match, they give interaction and context to the match. WvW is a week long match up with hundreds of stories, drama etc. When you play you only get a tiny peice of that. Yea a lot of the story is trash talk and putting each other down, but its still information.

I never was in the yaks vs sbi vs ebay matchup, but i saw the story, First everybody thought everything was cool, a good old match up, then some reports of teaming up occured, it was hear we learned that ebay had decided weeks ahead of time to target SBI whether or not yaks agreed. Their goal to take down a hated giant that ran all over them and told them to l2p. You can even match the posts to times in the point differential.

You can learn why ebay was able to hold everything in their borderlands in the morning. You get insight into the mind of SBI. Yeah a lot of the pieces are you suck, 2 v1. Denials, demands for fights. But WvW needs a narrative, it needs a context. If more players in pve even knew what was going on in WvW they would enter the fight. Like what happened when Yaks went to LA telling people of information gathered in part through forums.

Now, i said before its not the end of the world. But even if something is unpleasant to see, or hear for some, doesnt mean it serves no purpose.

in WvW

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

There is a rather major difference between “friendly” trash-talk and outright abuse however.
In many cases the threads on the forums have gotten way more into outright abuse rather than “friendly” trash-talk.

its not necessarilly supposed to be friendly. Its just the way it goes, i dunno if you ve ever competed really. You dont love all of your opponents, you dont feel uplifted every match. Have you ever heard what players are really saying to each other in the middle of the field/court? And even with all that when the seasons over, and they see each other in the street/at some meeting they nod heads, laugh or just shoot the breeze. Thats competition. Its not always harsh, but its not always nice. If people really got amped over seasons on the forums, thats good, it shows they cared, they were involved, it mattered to them.

Anet could remove it from their forums, but the problem i have with that is its probably actually better for the game mode itself to have that context and interaction for the people who want it. Some people want to know why there is a rivalry between TC and FA. Or SBI and Yaks bend. They want to know why their opponent ran at the last second in Ascension Bay. They want to call out the other server and say im gonna sit right here, come and get me, i will destroy you all.

You know why wrestling is a multi million dollar industry? its the story/context/smack talk. It makes a pretend fight interesting. WvW needs more of this in some fashion. Maybe it can be better created somewhere else, but its something the mode actually does benefit from. If i was the community team, and i couldnt moderate it, instead of trying to be the dissapointed parent, they should be the realist who says we cant do this here, but its part of the community, and try to promote and set up the place where it can be done, the game is rated T not G.

in WvW

Posted by: Niadon.9270

Niadon.9270

If is not a problem for the most of the users, I do not see why turn it in a problem, as if the forum didn’t need other things first, like a decent dedicated to the recruitment of the guilds.

There are over 50 worlds, hundreds of guilds and a section that contains the listings of all of them … but come on… a user waste hours trying to find a guild of his server when he is not busy cross his fingers hoping that someone advertises a guild in the map chat … come on… even those of Warhammer had gone beyond creating the recruit section directly into the game menu… -_-

Now I gonna call my grandma and I show her with such skimpy and lascivious clothes arenanet dress the characters woman of this game (excluding asura:D)

Far ShiverPeaks
Endure Pain [PAIN]

in WvW

Posted by: SkyyHigh.4950

SkyyHigh.4950

The devs think that reddit could be an alternative? Fine, I want to give that a try. I made a new subreddit at /r/GuildWarsWvW.

Feel free to post whatever kinds of matchup threads you want there, or other WvW discussion. Yes, reddit has downvotes, but
1) They’re fake internet points, who really cares if you get a few downvotes, just laugh it off,
2) At worst, the post gets hidden by default, but everyone just opens those hidden posts to see what prompted the torrent of downvotes so nbd, and
3) I disabled downvotes by default. There are workarounds, but they’re not as convenient, and (I’m assuming) people who aren’t familiar with reddit won’t know them.

Now, I’m guessing that none of you know who I am. I think I’ve posted once in a WvW matchup thread. That’s good, because it means I really don’t give a kitten about past blowups and drama. You want a place to cut loose? This can be that place, no modding, no deleted posts, no bannings. Just keep it in some way on topic to WvW and it’s fine by me. I don’t like that there isn’t one central location for people to just act however they want without getting muzzled, it’s been a pretty consistent complaint for months, so take advantage of them kicking you off the official forums and go somewhere where you won’t be restrained.

If you’re not already on reddit, it’s literally the simplest registration process ever. Really, it’s stupidly easy, and (if you choose to be) it’s completely anonymous. That’s probably not as much fun since people won’t know who you are, but hey, it’s there. I did add flairs in the subreddit so you can rep your server.

I’m all for civil discussion when those are the rules, but if I am making the rules, all bets are off. Get angry, fellas.

IGN: Skyy High / Talon Drakke

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Two things:

1. Remember the “you have been warned” mod post? This feels the same. Anet generally has a pretty bad attitude towards its customers.

2. Deletion of the forum fits with Anets MO. Remember how they fixed the Twilight Arbor F/U path?

in WvW

Posted by: BirdSong.2541

BirdSong.2541

Indeed.
Locking the thread given its topic isn’t a viable option I suppose, because it would be very provocative and provide us ammunition as well as simply prove every point we’ve made to be true. So they’re just filtering the rawest of the opinions, which the vast majority are disagreeing with the decision.

No worries I don’t reply to all the posts but I’m reading them all before they’re deleted. Your opinions shall be heard! Please keep posting, but try and keep it as civilised as possible! (as much as you can without invalidating your point).

Commander Rob
ZoS Guild
Northern Shiverpeaks Nightcrew

(edited by BirdSong.2541)

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

Funny thing is, if anet ever actually manages to make spvp not suck enough that it becomes popular, they’re going to have to delete all the spvp forums because the same thing will happen there.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: BirdSong.2541

BirdSong.2541

Funny thing is, if anet ever actually manages to make spvp not suck enough that it becomes popular, they’re going to have to delete all the spvp forums because the same thing will happen there.

No. Because you can just shout abuse at the other team ingame. It removes the need for an all out forum war.

Commander Rob
ZoS Guild
Northern Shiverpeaks Nightcrew

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

No. Because you can just shout abuse at the other team ingame. It removes the need for an all out forum war.

I don’t know about that. There’s been some pretty sweet drama over there already even with the pathetic size and state of spvp.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

I just hope the current matchup sub-forum gets archived instead of deleted.

in WvW

Posted by: fett.9573

fett.9573

T rated game, G rated forum. The decisions being made by anet are becoming increasingly pathetic. Makes you wonder what absolute blunder will come next.

in WvW

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

spvp subforum is the best, even the devs troll there everynow and then. And of course we have the legendary thread thats in my sig.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in WvW

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

Spvp subforum is a special place for their e-sportz, that everyone in the world tunes in to watch.

in WvW

Posted by: solitarysumire.3127

solitarysumire.3127

I was saddened to read that Anet wants to remove these threads. I do not post on them often, but I do read them every week, and they keep me pretty entertained. While I’m ultimately not interested in bashing any devs or moderators, I would like to say that the post that was made to communicate this change did have some dialogue in it that was not a good show of customer service (most of the middle paragraphs, really).

That being said, here are some of my thoughts on why Anet shouldn’t be so hasty to pull the plug:

1) As has been said, this will bring a terrible disconnect between the people who play the content and the people who are creating it. This does not make for a good working relationship between the customer and the business.

2) In my experience (I’m on HoD) the threads have been strangely self-monitoring, for the most part. It may not seem like it, but even when things get heated or off topic, I really don’t feel that any real offense is taken for most things.

3) The match up threads function as a policing tool for WvW in game as well. I know that in the past, if one of my guild members ended up on the other side of a gate we were attacking while it was still up (when that was still a bug) they would immediately hop back out because we had no desire to be called out for even the possibility of exploiting on the forums.

4) On the subject of off topic-ness in the threads: these threads are a way for servers to socialize with each other while they are matched up together for the week. Sometimes you just want to make a joke, or make a shout out to another player on another server. As long as you aren’t posting pics of what you ate for lunch, I don’t feel it necessary to judge these posts too harshly.

I will stand fully behind Anet should they choose to eliminate specific posts that are threatening, racist, etc., but I don’t think the answer is to delete the forum. If a fight breaks out at a bar, the cops don’t burn down the whole establishment- they arrest the individuals involved. That’s just my two cents.

This may go unanswered, but I really am curious about what the Anet team felt the match-up threads should look like and what they would contain.

Solitary Sumire- Elementalist
Phaze [PHZE] – HoD

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Encourages players to kill each other, then wonders why players aren’t being nice to each other. #smh

Honestly, it’s no biggie. More time irl and less with the game that’s all.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

So the WvW forum becomes chock full of matchup threads again?

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: chrisgr.3849

chrisgr.3849

weel .see the good side…Anet have finaly unite all wvwvwv players vs one “enemy”
unite vs Anet…i thing that is great achivment for anet…

in WvW

Posted by: Boonprot.6274

Boonprot.6274

Mods here are far too heavy-handed as is; I feel like I’m playing a game made for 12 y/o’s half the time. This issue is getting blown out of proportion (the abuse etc. comments).

Supreme Commander Boonprot, Lord Regent of the Portals
Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

IMO, matchup forum hasn’t really gotten any worse since it was created. And in comparison to other internet forums, it’s REALLY tame.

The only logical explanation for this is that they’re planning on reducing mod staff/hours in the new future.

in WvW

Posted by: Shonie.5297

Shonie.5297

The matchup threads are the only reason to visit the GW2 forums.
They are entertaining. This game is supposed to be a form of entertainment.
If the matchup threads aren’t some peoples form of entertainment, then don’t read it.
There are probably 30 other subforums for the PvE crowd to read.
This decision doesn’t help anyone. It only hurts people.
If it’s a moderator burden, then just don’t moderate it.
The best part of pvp games are the rivalries, trash talking, and politics. If there’s no venue for that to easily take place, people will just become bored and stop playing.
What does ANet expect us to do? Fight ingame all day long then come to the forums and have cuddle sessions and I can tell all the Maguuma and Yak’s Bend people how much I heart them.
This is just another dumb decision for WvW like countless others in the past months such as terrible league setup, terrible season rewards, living story kitten in WvW… Etc.
if ANet wants to do away with WvW, just be upfront about it.
By the way, the heart of the mists map is pointless. There will be no queues when everyone stops playing.
Although great idea spending all that development time on a map that will matter for 2 hours on a Friday night for like 5 servers.

~Tarnished Coast~

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

All is vain. /15 chaars

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Big ANet fan but removing the Matchup forum is yet another bad idea.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Cuddlepie.8109

Cuddlepie.8109

Anet has the tools to deal with people who break their forum rules. Ban repeated offenders.

Group punishment of the majority, who have not infringed, is a crude and fundamentally unfair response.

The patronising tone of the Anet announcement spoke volumes about their attitude to their WvW customers – it was like being chided by an overbearing parent. IMO, there is something deeply flawed in the Anet customer service culture, perhaps a pervasive disrespect, perhaps a laziness towards using the tools at their disposal, perhaps a blindness towards the culture of competitive PvP/WvW they’ve created.

Where’s Harry Tuttle when you need him?

in WvW

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

Anet has the tools to deal with people who break their forum rules. Ban repeated offenders.

Group punishment of the majority, who have not infringed, is a crude and fundamentally unfair response.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Why not just forum ban the aggressive posters instead of potentially having to delete “matchup” topics that will be placed in the WvW discussion board?

I’m sorry Anet, I know you are disappointed by the actions of, frankly, the minority of GW2 players that break your rules, but you are punishing those of us that abide by your rules and just want to use the matchups to discuss great battles and get to know our opponents.

WvW needed that community feel that the matchup forums gave us, taking it away will make WvW seem strangely disconnected.

And no, I am not going to sign up for a reddit account or sign up for random, potentially unsecured websites to discuss current matchups.

I am genuinely disappointed in your logic for this decision, and truly hope you change your minds.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

in WvW

Posted by: MiniMe.1960

MiniMe.1960

I like unofficial forums best. Make a “matchup uncensored” forum and a “serious discussion” forum.

in WvW

Posted by: Twinny.9304

Twinny.9304

dam so close to Christmas and I still had to check my calendar to see if this was an April Fool’s joke.

Seems as though the Majority get punished for the Minority again.

Yes there are trolls that go to extreme, punish them not us. Rather than closing a thread because a Rule has been broken, punish the one that broke the rule.

Friendly Forum match up banter is healthy rivalry and competitiveness. I really enjoy communicating with the opposing servers, and showing some appreciation for a good fight at X location etc, or even receiving the appreciation. It’s all part of the match up. Without this communication it will feel less and less like your fighting real people.

Twinny Todd – Guardian – FSP [PunK]
Big Bad Bunny – Necro – FSP [PunK]

in WvW

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Quick everyone, let’s all log on to our warriors and wipe them first.

All is vain.

in WvW

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

A few thoughts:

1. It is entirely possible that you can play in a competitive environment and still remain cordial to one another. Thousands of athletes do it every day at the amateur and professional levels. Granted, there are some who can’t, but they are typically reprimanded or sanctioned in some way for their behavior.

2. It is the people who couldn’t remain civilized who are ultimately to blame for this change. Plain and simple really. (See below for a slight caveat)

3. Anets solution is pretty ridiculous and I’ll parallel it with something I face each and every day with my children’s schools. If there is a child who is talking too loud at lunch, then the whole class loses their recess. If there are one or two kids who are acting crazy in the bathroom, the whole class loses their snack time. If a kid is mean to a substitute, then (yup you guessed it) the whole class loses their ice cream party. It is pretty darned ridiculous that the actual offenders can’t be punished. Why does everyone need to suffer because of the actions of a small minority?

Anet, I sincerely hope that you will reconsider your position on these WvW matchup forums. They are a pretty good resource to talk about the individual matchups and to keep in contact with one’s competition. Heck, by reading other servers matchups, one can even learn a little bit about opponents and their tactics and how to better prepare for meeting them in the future.

HOLD PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS
There is no reason to punish everyone because a group of people can’t control their own actions. Give up the "infraction point’ silliness. Perhaps go to a “3 strikes and your out” policy in which a permanent forum ban is the result of bad behavior.

In closing, I would just like to say that the anonymity of the internet seems to bring out the worst in some people’s behavior. Endeavor to do the right thing and be civil to one another and perhaps we wouldn’t be faced with such heavy-handed changes.

in WvW

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Why? Probably because the lack of good’ol BALLS. Looks how Vavle handeled their “GIFF DIRETIDE” trolls. That was manly. And now 99% of articles and communities are praising Valve for being so good and making a fantastic game.

? ? ?_? ?? Give Matchup Forum ? (Awe, it didn’t copy/post correctly)
Thanks for sharing that. Don’t play Dota2, so never seen that before. Was interesting googling it.

But, yeah, without the matchup threads, its going to be really boring coming to the forums. Especially since most question threads in the LS forums go unanswered, even though they’re simple yes/no that can be answered pretty quickly. And then theres also the search feature that someone else brought up.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in WvW

Posted by: Mindx.9610

Mindx.9610

How about just introducing stricter posting requirements, character caps no quoting etc

[Apex] – Zero Entity 80 Necromancer
Blackgate Apexprime.enjin.com

in WvW

Posted by: Boonprot.6274

Boonprot.6274

How about just introducing stricter posting requirements, character caps no quoting etc

If you saw what most of the infractions were really about, you wouldn’t have this attitude. People are infracted for, sometimes, very benign statements. Mag has a collection of infractions ~11 pages deep on our server forums as proof of it.

Supreme Commander Boonprot, Lord Regent of the Portals
Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Insane Pancakez.9182

Insane Pancakez.9182

It’s okay guys! We can make our new threads in the Living story, or Spvp sub forums. They won’t even notice we’re there!

in WvW

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

If you saw what most of the infractions were really about, you wouldn’t have this attitude. People are infracted for, sometimes, very benign statements. Mag has a collection of infractions ~11 pages deep on our server forums as proof of it.

I could add a while page just myself. I would talk about it here but you can get in trouble for talking about why you got in trouble…..

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

in WvW

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

It’s okay guys! We can make our new threads in the Living story, or Spvp sub forums. They won’t even notice we’re there!

Haha, so very true.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I could add a while page just myself. I would talk about it here but you can get in trouble for talking about why you got in trouble…..

^This is 100% true…

Posted on countless forums for over a decade never a single problem…really not kidding or exaggerating.

GW2 forums I have had loads of infractions, they perhaps should look at there policy on Forum Moderation Enforcement and consider if its way over the top, too harsh, cause its way, way out of line with all other games forums.

in WvW

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

The first rule of infraction club is you don’t talk about infraction club.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

in WvW

Posted by: Erebus.9276

Erebus.9276

My topic about this got a red post. What y’all got huh?

Casual Dungeon Thief

Card ~> Thief | Casual Card ~> Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

A still open thread?

But apparently deleted posts.

Anyways… as someone else stated, they should be holding individuals to their actions, not the community as a whole. And this action seems targeted to the top tier matchups.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

that red post wasnt worth the time it took me to search your post history and skim that thread

“hurr, keep it in wvw discussion noobs talking about the end of this subforum in this subforum isnt allowed”

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: fett.9573

fett.9573

that red post wasnt worth the time it took me to search your post history and skim that thread

“hurr, keep it in wvw discussion noobs talking about the end of this subforum in this subforum isnt allowed”

They were just reminding you of how quickly they want to squish the wvw community out of existence.

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Nothing to do with freedom of speech or censorship. Anet is a private company, they don’t have to let you say anthing on their forums.

in WvW

Aeonblade.8709

Nothing to do with freedom of speech or censorship. Anet is a private company, they don’t have to let you say anthing on their forums.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was warning about.

in WvW

Posted by: JobCreator.1956

JobCreator.1956

I hope my cell phone carrier never hears about this because by your standard, as a private company, they won’t have to let me say anything on my phone. If you split too many hairs too many times you’ll eventually be bald.

The kitten mightier than the sword.

in WvW

Posted by: Tyaen.5148

Tyaen.5148

Great analogy.

Would you agree to pay a Mobile provider if their ToS said they could censor your calls? No. Said company would never have a chance to go out of business as they wouldn’t have a business in the first place.

There are plenty of other places you can have a community discussion besides the “official” forums (Guru, Reddit). Or, maybe you actually bought the game so you could post on the official forums.

Tyyaen – Engineer (80) [SS]
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

in WvW

Posted by: Erebus.9276

Erebus.9276

I hope my cell phone carrier never hears about this because by your standard, as a private company, they won’t have to let me say anything on my phone. If you split too many hairs too many times you’ll eventually be bald.

Bosley natural hair solutions, you’re welcome.

Casual Dungeon Thief

Card ~> Thief | Casual Card ~> Mesmer

in WvW

Aeonblade.8709

Bosley natural hair solutions, you’re welcome.

Crap don’t work. Look up the horror stories on google.