save wvw - break up the top tier groups

in WvW

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

its you, the top tier servers swarming everyone and unbalancing the game.

Your fate, to fight the same 4 servers for all eternity or fight against empty towns.

YOU can make a difference by spreading out and balancing out the servers.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

in WvW

Ricky.4706

one possible idea to fix this would be what I’d like to coin – a balance of powers mechanism – the total dps and health of the server you are fighting – gets spread out to the opposing server ….. so if server A has 500 people that can do, 1 million dps total – and server B only has 10 people ….the game balances the power by giving those 10 people – 100k dps each along with the the equivalent health – then it would be fun to fight the odds and be underdog. I’d love nothing more than to get swarmed and zap out 10 people at a time with 1 shot. THAT would be FUN and Justice.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

in WvW

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

come up with a calculation to determine which players legitimately helped their server in WvW that week. Maybe X # of hours played minimum.

Then every week each server is given 25,000 gold or some amount, which is equally divided among the server’s qualifying players.

See how fast that spreads em out lol

in WvW

Ricky.4706

I’d gladly give up the gold benefits just for elder dragon powers – I would love to chase down zergs to be honest! that would be a hoot!! it would even be fun if your character got bigger with each inbalance!! – the lowest tier server would be Godly Giants! You’d see people running to be in the most empty servers for this ability!! Hahaha!!

in WvW

Ricky.4706

seriously , picture it …One guy the size of an elder dragon terrorizing and camping a top tier server rofl!! that would be classic! The overpopulated server would look like roaches!! lol!!

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

Something along the lines of what solstice said

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Just cap the maps at 60 per team per map.

Responses to this idea have been generally “well people will just quit” …. Not like that’s not happening now. Rip the bandaid off. Hopefully WvW is engaging enough that people would repopulate other servers to play. Then again, who knows? It would sure solve a lot of complaints though …. Lag, queue times, population imbalances ….

L’enfer, c’est les autres

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Ricky.4706

yup ….anet really has to kill the incentive to be in the most populated server for constant coverage. Now with these leagues they just put salt on the wound. You guys KNOW people want to be on the winning team – ya’ll need to come up with an incentive that any server can be a winning team and an over populated server is nothing more than an annoyance and no advantage, if anything, their resources should be running short – not multiplying.

like in star craft, resources are everything ….and if you run out of them …you are boinked! lower tier servers should be able to have a ton more resources and npc operated siege weapons, it would be cool to have one of the workers operate a treb or arrow cart. – more populated servers have less workers to do this.

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Better idea would be to form a Gold Tier. Tiers One and Two are Gold Tier. And allow free transfers occassionally to balance them out. That would be 6 powerhouse servers. With a few guilds transferring here and there, you could have 6 very good servers.

Other tiers, servers are combined to form groups. So link say 3 servers together into a team, one good, one bad and one in between. This might give you a better WvW population. You could even mix up the grouping based on how many points and keeps your particular server captured during the week. To make teh whole scenario of playing on a lower WvW server more appealing.

People of course could still pay 1800 gems to transfer to the gold tier.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in WvW

Posted by: Actinotus.6410

Actinotus.6410

Just saw Blackgate, “ranked tier 1 in North American WvW”, has put up a recruitment thread.

I am sure luring guilds from lower ranked servers (let’s say Borlis Pass) will make for fun gameplay when Blackgate plays against Borlis Pass. BG will need all the help they can get to be +695 24/7.

Some NA people still haven’t realised that especially after league starts there will be no such thing as T1 anymore and JQ/SoR/BG will rarely be playing each other.

Close battles are much more fun than final score or winning any league.

Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Ricky.4706

all i know is guildwars use to feel like a good game of chess, now it feels like dodgeball. – overpopulated servers should be more for pve – where it’s needed for dungeons. wvw should be for strategists. and please, no more of that train running stuff to tag points – war ..we want war – to hold down areas and defend / fortify and good old mano a mano.

we need that starcraft element that keeps us building and destroying……. after all, that’s where zergs came from.

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

The Overpopulated servers do not want to play Borlis Pass either.

It was clear a couple weeks ago when SOR went to T2 we had to get as many points as we possibly could to get back up. We did not want to be facing uncompetative servers.

To further my point. Many of us have paid 1800 gems to be on these servers and play in a competative environment.

So from a T1 point of view I 100% agree with the OP that the Leagues are a bad idea. But I don’t agree that these servers should be ‘broken up.’ I paid good money to for the pvp I am getting atm. It’s much more organised and strategic. The competition is much smarter and effective. Sadly the lag is much more effective too.

Whether it is perfect or not is another debate.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in WvW

Ricky.4706

ya, but on the same hand, brute strength should not be a dominating force – overpopulated servers need to run out of resources – and under populated servers will need to move fast if they want to hold back the brute force servers.

having massive numbers should be no advantage ….. it makes sun tzu cry!

in WvW

Ricky.4706

here you go, another idea – each server should be endowed with different race advantages – the asuran servers have a tech advantage – the norn servers have animal npc advantages – the human servers have dwayna advantages – the char servers have trap and mechanical advantages. the sylvari have plant life advantages

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Posted by: Luiz Swordbreaker.6547

Luiz Swordbreaker.6547

I’ve posted this before. But here it goes again:
-Reduce map caps to about 60 per map
-Lock transfers to top 4 servers
-Open free transfers for 1-2 weeks
-Close transfers

[Scnd] Use Your Illusion

(edited by Luiz Swordbreaker.6547)

in WvW

Actinotus.6410

The Overpopulated servers do not want to play Borlis Pass either.

It was clear a couple weeks ago when SOR went to T2 we had to get as many points as we possibly could to get back up. We did not want to be facing uncompetative servers.

To further my point. Many of us have paid 1800 gems to be on these servers and play in a competative environment.

So from a T1 point of view I 100% agree with the OP that the Leagues are a bad idea. But I don’t agree that these servers should be ‘broken up.’ I paid good money to for the pvp I am getting atm. It’s much more organised and strategic. The competition is much smarter and effective. Sadly the lag is much more effective too.

Whether it is perfect or not is another debate.

One of the best things that has happened was IoJ and SoS breaking up a little after being T1 servers. Why? Because the oceanic population spread out rather than being concentrated on these two servers. There are now at least half a dozen servers with significant numbers of oceanic players and it becomes more fun for us when we play say FA, TC, SoR and others.

There was a lot of movement just before the end of free transfers early in the year (JQ anyone?). I know some guilds are looking around to move before the start of the leagues and there will be a rush of transfers in the next two weeks (both in and out of the top three servers). I know people aren’t keen to go through weeks of uncompetitive matches (which the “T1” superservers are going to experience).

Personally I am fine playing against say BG (it is a good challenge – g’day MERC), but I am sure some on BG will not be excited on say a BG/SoS matchup. BG will be the ones who will lose rating for a start (assuming they have the same rating system).

Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

t1 is very far apart form all the other tiers. tc is the strongest t2 server, but even they got terribly destroyed vs sor.
im on fa and we are too strong for a t3 matchup but to weak vs tc. look at our match up atm.
the gaps between tiers is huge…1 week in t1 was enough for us…it is frustrating to be trashed by 60-70 man blobs almost all day long.
alliances could be the only way out.
alliances should be formed according to matchup,numbers and coverage.

for example fa was facing tc and db this week. db an fa both arent strong enough to beat tc that had a lot of transfers. fa would need an alliance of a lower tier server with a little more oceanics and sea guilds to compete. db would need a stronger na/oceanic alliance.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Actinotus.6410

-Close transfers

But ANet would never do that, they are probably swimming in money right now due to all the people transferring to top servers, and there’s no way they would drop that for a better WvW experience for the players

I agree with this except the locking transfers to “top 4” (based on WvW rating). They have already tried to move people by reduce cost to “low pop” servers (which does affect some people’s decision).

Although maybe they can get away with it – transfers to lower-rated servers will be half-price or something. But I think that might happen after the first season of the league.

Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Devitz.2136

Devitz.2136

one possible idea to fix this would be what I’d like to coin – a balance of powers mechanism – the total dps and health of the server you are fighting – gets spread out to the opposing server ….. so if server A has 500 people that can do, 1 million dps total – and server B only has 10 people ….the game balances the power by giving those 10 people – 100k dps each along with the the equivalent health – then it would be fun to fight the odds and be underdog. I’d love nothing more than to get swarmed and zap out 10 people at a time with 1 shot. THAT would be FUN and Justice.

U mad bro, idea of a sick mind

in WvW

Ricky.4706

-evil laugh- thank you!!

“Ug kill puny mortals!”

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Posted by: Daedus Wolfe.1749

Daedus Wolfe.1749

Ricky, you go ahead and hold down the fort and go mano a mano with everyone .. War and Merc will continue harassing their own borderlands, taking their keeps and drawing them away from our borderlands to make your job easier.

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

-Close transfers

You’ve posted this before and I think I’ve even quoted it before agreeing with you. I’ve been begging for this sort of solution since back in April when ANET stealth increased the WvW map population caps (and hence increased instances of skill lag) as a solution to so many issues all at once but we continually see backlash from the player-base against the idea of lower WvW population map caps due to some crazy notion that it will destroy communities or ruin chances for epic battles. Heck, at this point EB can keep its bloated map population cap since it is a skill 1 spam lag fest in there anyways. Until the player-base can get their act together to agree on something there is little chance ANET will act on it which is sad because MMO players are not for acting on their own best interests.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

At the moment what is being done to WvW, buff and League are forcing people to transfer. There isn’t really any hope left for people who decide not to bandwagon, as anet is not even seeing it as a major issue. They will not address it before the leagues start and by that time it will be too late. I used to feel that it was the fault of the players that leave to stack on top servers. But from the way anet is changing the system I have to say that the fault is their.

If they don’t stop the League, do you really think they will do anything to break up the top tier groups?

in WvW

Posted by: Ghodgkins.5987

Ghodgkins.5987

Worst Idea Ever

in WvW

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

Lower the map caps and add “mercenary” mechanics, IE, I try to go to green BL, its full, a window pops up asking me if I want to queue for the map or become a mercenary, queue would work like normal, Merc would send me to a wvw match (never your own match up)where one server is outmanned, if I have someone from my guild in my group they could click on me portrait and “join me” much like overflow works now unless the map was full.

I know some would stay in queue for there own server, but often enough a lot of players have short play times and having the ability to just play would be nice at the same time giving lower wvw pop servers a fighting chance.

the only issue I see is this falsely inflatting a servers actual wvw rating. This is a small price to pay if the underdog servers finally haven people out and fighting.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

in WvW

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

Worst Idea Ever

most unrealistic yes. does sound fun as kitten though lol

in WvW

Ricky.4706

from reading the thread …another possible solution would be to make wvw more like spvp lol…..seriously – limit the caps to the 60 per map like the above suggestions, but then make sub duplicate maps ….so the same server can join Server X – fight B

this way everyone is happy – you can zerg as much as you want without the lag …and you won’t have to worry about a que because you can jump into borderlands fight B if A is too full.

Kind of like the old GVG but servers can now challenge servers in fixed fights – as opposed to this lopsided automated matching system.

Why make it one HUUUGE all server fight – don’t give a massive population an advantage – then playing on any server wont matter – you can even program private fights for gvg …..so simple.

I should be given a one of a kind legendary for this idea, but will I get one ? noooOOOoooo!!

in WvW

Jayne.9251

So … overflow WvW maps? Neat idea, but you remember when they intro’d the new RNG matchups and players from the same server found themselves fighting their teammates on the same map? I think they had accidentally put overflow on WvW maps and had to fix it, which is why you got the mixed members per map. That was hilarious, but I’m not sure it was quite what was planned.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Ricky.4706

nah, not overflow maps ….in gw1 the gvg section of the game was hugely popular – and actually the foundation of the esport idea – I’m simply mixing gvg with fort aspenwood which was very popular for open pug wars …. – overflow is random ……organizing guilds for competitive matches is different.

I don’t think anyone will argue with capping the open wvw fights especially if it will kill the lag and 100 man zergs

in WvW

Ricky.4706

i would have included hall of heroes in that mix but the only thing Hall of Heroes did was create elitist anti social players – so it’s either pug or gvg – not organized pug.

in WvW

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

So you want the top tiers to spread out across all other servers, so that all servers (including the original top tiers) are imbalanced too?

Good idea…

in WvW

Jayne.9251

No I think capping the map at 60 per team per map would give plenty of incentive for guilds to jump to another server to help shape its ranking, etc … if there was a guaranteed finite cap. Then if all servers had reasonably equal footing that way, the WvW would flourish and actually be a bit more exciting than the present steamroll/get steamrolled matches every server but the top three are experiencing. And heck, even the top three have kind of forced themselves into a Sartre-esque Huis Clos, with little chance of variety.

Imagine having the RNG matches each week where each server was reasonably equipped with bodies to deal with the 60 man cap, and you didn’t have a guaranteed winner by the end of the weekend? Equally appealing, no lag, no queues (if people dispersed), and nailbiting finishes that didn’t determine final score until reset day.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Ricky.4706

if we cap wvw and make it so guilds can challenge guilds …then no one has to move at all ….. this should be about skill..not brawn.

Transferring to the most populated server for wvw is paying to win….fact.

in WvW

Posted by: Doon.2364

Doon.2364

Another way to spread out the population in all servers is let’s say if one server has 30 players in WvW, then the other two servers are limited to 30 players at a time and the rest will be on que. The more players are playing the bigger the amount of players will get into WvW. This will solve the whole outmanned problem since no server will out number the other. And if you belong in a big server, chances are you won’t get to play much. So players will eventually be driven to tranfer to lower population server if they want to play a lot of WvW. So this system encourages players to spread out to other servers so more can play at the same time as well as ensure balance play.

in WvW

Ricky.4706

30 is too low though ….. it should be enough to have a ‘small’ reasonable sized zerg – because that’s how wars were really fought – and enough extra men to cover your other maps … but they really should allow private wvw gvg fights to allow casual players to play with casual players and hard core players to play for rank in organized wvw – this way the top tier servers aren’t destroyed either ….they are after all like minded players – so they should be allowed to be competitive – but not at the casual players expense

in WvW

Posted by: TheAmpca.1753

TheAmpca.1753

Honestly if you spread out the servers so that every server has the same amount of people and has strengths in all time zones that would just make the game mode too bland. Sure there are some servers who do stuff differently (TC sits behind arrow carted towers and keeps all day, while FA plays more like an EU server who spend most of the time roaming around looking for fights) which does add some diversity, true “balance” is bland and boring.

I believe that there should be more tools for smaller groups to outplay larger groups, but population wise I think WvW is quite well done.

in WvW

Posted by: Doon.2364

Doon.2364

30 is too low though ….. it should be enough to have a ‘small’ reasonable sized zerg – because that’s how wars were really fought – and enough extra men to cover your other maps … but they really should allow private wvw gvg fights to allow casual players to play with casual players and hard core players to play for rank in organized wvw – this way the top tier servers aren’t destroyed either ….they are after all like minded players – so they should be allowed to be competitive – but not at the casual players expense

The number isn’t fixed. Basically the server with the lowest number in the match up always sets the amount of players base. If the lowest server has 100 players, then the new limit is 100. So if more players shows up the limit will also increase. So the idea encourages players to spread out to other servers if they want to have a higher number of players playing. This is similar to how Spvp balance the number of players in each team.

(edited by Doon.2364)

in WvW

Ricky.4706

population wise right now is horrible – I’m in a really good low mid rank server … been playing it since beta – we have some great pvprs …who pretty much pug together regularly and never let odds overwhelm us ….heck even now being severely outnumbered – we have 2 bloodlust thingies …… and it’s a ghost town. I’ve NEVER seen it so empty before today. so I can only imagine you are in an upper tier server to say this, because from my view …it’s very unreasonable to say the balance is fine …extremely unreasonable in fact.

in WvW

TheAmpca.1753

population wise right now is horrible – I’m in a really good low mid rank server … been playing it since beta – we have some great pvprs …who pretty much pug together regularly and never let odds overwhelm us ….heck even now being severely outnumbered – we have 2 bloodlust thingies …… and it’s a ghost town. I’ve NEVER seen it so empty before today. so I can only imagine you are in an upper tier server to say this, because from my view …it’s very unreasonable to say the balance is fine …extremely unreasonable in fact.

Whatever size server you are on you will always being playing with similar sized servers which makes me think that if you are experiencing one day of a low server pop then either A) your server is burned out after the end of the week like most servers are thursday-friday(before reset) or B ) your server just lost a lot of transfers. I’m thinking A though

Hmm I just looked through the thread and noticed you said you play on Borlis Pass so I checked out your match up. What you are probably experiencing is the large influx of players SBI recently got.

The number isn’t fixed. Basically the server with the lowest number in the match up always sets the amount of players base. If the lowest server has 100 players, then the new limit is 100. So if more players shows up the limit will also increase. So the idea encourages players to spread out to other servers if they want to have a higher number of players playing. This is similar to how Spvp balance the number of players in each team.

This wouldn’t work because you are punishing players for being on a server with more players. You are using negative feedback to make players swap and I can tell you that players will not be happy having to pay 2k gems to transfer from their home server away from (or with) their guild and guild network just because their server has more WvW players. You want to make lower servers more attractive not by making higher servers less attractive.

(edited by TheAmpca.1753)

in WvW

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

Whatever size server you are on you will always being playing with similar sized servers

Huh?

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

in WvW

Ricky.4706

explain all the reasons you want …..transferring to an overpopulated server for non stop coverage is paying to win – there is no justification for ruining the game because you want to stack up on a server. – wvw needs to be capped so you can’t pay to win in wvw.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Eh don’t make it an us vs them argument. Make it about how depopulating means more action/fights for all involved. Where a guild can go to a lower tier server to get out of a 60 map endless map queue and really prove their skill in guaranteed pop cap fights where it’s not about how many numbers you have, but rather the level of skill. I think some t1 guilds really get diluted in their core strength in the higher tiers because they are one of thousands of players and recognized as such, instead of the strike force they may very well be.

in WvW

Ricky.4706

I think you have to be careful how you implement the cap though too – the core of the problem is wvw is a great competitive arena – but making it server wide is mixing casual players with competitive players – so capping it will kill the competitive players when they can’t get their whole guilds on the field. There has to be a way to keep a balance so everyone is happy – we all love wvw play style – some for fun…others for competition – as long as you keep putting us on the same field – casual players are going to get stomped…… so this server vs server thing isn’t working.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

The GvG guilds were in the process of self-regulating (NA and EU) and spreading out amongst the silver league, I believe, which would have made for some interesting WvW pop changes …. But then the bloodlust thing was implemented.

in WvW

Ricky.4706

yeah. and this capture the point thing …is no good either – it’s going to be the thieves point …staying invis capping the spot.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

And people transferring to the top for the League rewards is only a part of the problem. The other part is where people on servers who get beat up over and over (which will happen more with leagues) simply quitting.

in WvW

Ricky.4706

ya…….wvw turned into dodgeball and every server below T1 is the fat kid lol

in WvW

TheAmpca.1753

explain all the reasons you want …..transferring to an overpopulated server for non stop coverage is paying to win – there is no justification for ruining the game because you want to stack up on a server. – wvw needs to be capped so you can’t pay to win in wvw.

You aren’t paying to win because you aren’t winning anything. Transfering to a T1 or any high Tiered server just means you are paying to be on a server with more organized people. You aren’t guaranteed to win anything because you are facing other servers with similar sizes and levels of organization.

yeah. and this capture the point thing …is no good either – it’s going to be the thieves point …staying invis capping the spot.

And no, stealthed units can’t cap points, just like units in mist form they don’t count towards contesting the point.

in WvW

Ricky.4706

won’t fly, if I paid to transfer to a winning server…I paid to win. That should be obvious.

server vs server doesn’t work.

in WvW

Ricky.4706

u know what the t1 servers are going to say after we break up their day and night over populated coverage ?

“glad they found a solution, i really didn’t like the other guilds on this server anyway” – these guys are together because they want to win, not because they admire each other.