Asura Hair: Natural or Not?

in Asura

Posted by: Pietoro.2014

Pietoro.2014

My pet theory about Asura hair is that after living so long above-ground they’ve developed a racial fad for wigs. It would explain a lot (why they look kinda odd with hair, and why GW1 Asura didn’t really have any). I mean, GW1 Asura had a little bit, but some of the modern hairstyles are suspiciously flowy/fluffy.

Anyway, there’s my pet theory.

+Gaura Havocshot – Engineer
+Felzza – Elementalist
+Roienna – Guardian

in Asura

Posted by: Scienta.2163

Scienta.2163

Yea I don’t like some of the larger hairs. Azura hair is usually dark (wiki info) and I would think short. Yet i see long red, blue, white, and yellow hair everywhere. Never really noticed this but you might be right. I went with a simple short black cut. Guess I don’t like the fad.

in Asura

Posted by: Pietoro.2014

Pietoro.2014

Both mine are bald. They’re hipsters I guess!

+Gaura Havocshot – Engineer
+Felzza – Elementalist
+Roienna – Guardian

in Asura

Posted by: atticus.2897

atticus.2897

Mine are bald, hair just didn’t look right.

in Asura

Posted by: Taari.5280

Taari.5280

I agree that not all haircuts and colours look “natural” – even though I love my red haired asura as much as my bald one

in Asura

Posted by: Vampiric Padraig.6804

Vampiric Padraig.6804

I’d say they have a thing for Wigs…. The only thing that I don’t want to see, is Asura with the afro, in leotards and dancing in a 70’s style disco.

shivers

Crakila – Desolation EU – Forsaken Gamers [FG]

in Asura

Posted by: Genoc.5473

Genoc.5473

Afro is the only way to go.

in Asura

Posted by: Sojourner.6938

Sojourner.6938

Topknots are far superior to the other choices.

Odd Bodkins
Genius

in Asura

Posted by: Sahfur.5612

Sahfur.5612

Hahahahahaha! I actually was talking with some friends about my asurans hair and had the same conclusion! You are a genius. XD It seems so much like they thought the humanoids looked so cool with hair and all they changed themselves, but I actually don’t mind.

They seem more like norns(not the same norn) and grendels (from Creatures series) and something about their design is lizardlike so the hair looks cute but also questionable. They are like little hairless gremlins that have the madness of the irkan empire. Love playing them!

Plants, As far as I know are still, still bending toward
the light! And if we dance, until the heart explodes,
It’ll make this place ignite!

in Asura

Posted by: hahawinner.5273

hahawinner.5273

I tried giving my Asura hair but didn’t like any of the male hair styles so chose to leave em bald…goes well with my pirate hat though!

in Asura

Posted by: Lox.1089

Lox.1089

I’m also a fan of the wig theory. It certainly explains why their hair disappears completely with some of the cultural hats, and why they have an unnatural hair line.
I suspect they have hair envy and don’t want to admit that other species have an edge of follicle superiority.

in Asura

Posted by: Yata.8932

Yata.8932

it could be that they started growing more hair on their heads when they started living on the surface, same reason we have most of our hair on top of our heads, to block sunlight. Idk.

in Asura

Posted by: AliceKaye.1903

AliceKaye.1903

They desperately need to give us more “wig” options though. 6 compared to the amount the human has, is laughable at best. Facial options too.

I do like the wig theory though and that would explain a lot of the bizarre hair colors we’re seeing out and about.

I always figured since they were underground-dwelling creatures that they would have dark hair and light eyes.

Arcanist Norri | Ceirynn | Darbii | Emlyn | Nyssi | Teltiu
Alice Kaye’s Twitter

in Asura

Posted by: Afropenguinn.3675

Afropenguinn.3675

Someone mention an afro?

in Asura

Posted by: Robert Andrews.7168

Robert Andrews.7168

I like this “wig theory” running around. It sounds just like an Asura.

And the fact that my “wig” is also an afro just makes it even better. A pity I couldn’t get a bright pink color or that “blurple” color. That would be awesome.

Oh for the love of little green tomatoes…

in Asura

Posted by: undefined.9408

undefined.9408

I notice on the Rata Sum loading screen none of the Asura have hair.
Personally, I subscribe to a “hair growth” tonic theory.
The Asura wanted hair, so they invented Rogaine.

in Asura

Posted by: Redrobin.5627

Redrobin.5627

My asura has short blond hair. He looks quite dashing in my opinion, even if it is a wig XD.

in Asura

Posted by: krofinn.2034

krofinn.2034

It’s not (always) a wig, from what I can tell. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Asura
It looks to me like some Asura do indeed have hair, but it seems relatively rare and they never have very much.

in Asura

Posted by: Fey Zeal.7032

Fey Zeal.7032

Another theory could be they used magic to engineer hair onto their heads. And why you see no partially bald Asuras is because they didn’t engineer themselves with those “defects”.

But then you have to wonder why aren’t they trying to sell magicked hair to humans as a cure for baldness.

in Asura

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

Another theory could be they used magic to engineer hair onto their heads. And why you see no partially bald Asuras is because they didn’t engineer themselves with those “defects”.

But then you have to wonder why aren’t they trying to sell magicked hair to humans as a cure for baldness.

Ironically, baldness is fast becoming a fad in human circles. Bookah never cease to amaze.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in Asura

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

-shakes head-

Even in GW1, Asuras had hair.

But have you been observant of all the heroes of other races cavorting about?

A saying of my very fashion astute Asuran Elementalist:

Do you know who the most powerful sorcerers and spell weavers are in all of Tyria? The hair stylists of Divinity’s Reach. There’s no other way to get hair as silky, shiny, voluptuous and indestructible as the heroes who fight dragons and muck through Dredge tunnels all day.

And his fabulous hair does not lie.

Attachments:

in Asura

Posted by: catqeer.1954

catqeer.1954

Bit rude how dare you insinuate that all asura are naturally bald… when in reality most of us had splendid black hair… Rude just plain rude…

Also everyone is made bald depending on the helm…

in Asura

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

GW1 asura did have hair, although always with a kinda “rough” look and kinda shortish. Just look at Vekk the asura hero from GW1 http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/thumb/8/8f/Vekk.jpg/311px-Vekk.jpg

Hair is not unnatural for them. They probably just learned how to style it. Maybe a in the 250 years mutations happened to give them smoother hair and more colors. Increaxed exposure to light and whatnot. Afterall blue eyes and blond hair in humans in real life started as mutations, albeit really really really really long ago. Just gone a bit faster with the asura living in the magical world of Tyria.
You never saw dark skinned asura in GW1 either, thats an option now.
Furthermore they all had black eyes in GW1 and now you get all kinds of colors.

My conclusion is mutations happened in individuals in the 250 years and it was deemed attractive or something and thus spread out rather quickly.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

in Asura

Leo G.4501

((OOC: The real answer is the devs likely were limited in art assets and didn’t want to dip too deep in aesthetic variants at the time the content in GW1 was created. Whether they wanted to have variants but didn’t have the budget for it or simply didn’t have the forethought to create variants in lieu of Asuras as a future playable race, I’d conclude that Asura always had a variety of hair, eye and skin colors but we just never saw them.

…of course, I never played GW1 so could be way off.))

in Asura

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Moles and underground creatures often have hair that was once more useful as a sensory organ in areas of limited light. Likewise, hair retains heat and the head will lose a great deal of heat if not covered. It makes sense that asura would have hair at certain strategic areas.

Also, the large ears that dogs have are a useful tool for helping waft scents towards their sensitive noses, which may explain why asura have those big floppy ears. One of our sceptre animations involves “sniffing the air” too.

in Asura

Posted by: Rilke Cadmus.6829

Rilke Cadmus.6829

For the record, Oola had the biggest hair of any Asura anywhere! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Oola

Tnekk/ Fyrni/ Rina Selania/ Doroga Icemaul
“And also… I can kill you with my brain.”
~River Tam~

in Asura

Posted by: Fey Zeal.7032

Fey Zeal.7032

For the record, Oola had the biggest hair of any Asura anywhere! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Oola

Oh god the hair it blinds!

in Asura

Posted by: catqeer.1954

catqeer.1954

Somethings really should have stayed buried with the destroyers… like that hair style

in Asura

Leo G.4501

The hair wizards in Divinity’s Reach would have a field day with her.

in Asura

Posted by: Vuh.1328

Vuh.1328

It’s really bothering me how shiny my afro is, the texture looks more like plastic than hair..

Take your time to learn proper keybinding, it’s worth the struggle

in Asura

Posted by: Ash.3109

Ash.3109

I like this “wig theory” running around. It sounds just like an Asura.

And the fact that my “wig” is also an afro just makes it even better. A pity I couldn’t get a bright pink color or that “blurple” color. That would be awesome.

Oh but now you can for a small fee at the Gem shop you can change the eye and hair color and I did so with my little Asura who sports a topknot pony…it is more a handle for Norn to pick me up by and take off running in harms way……lol

Attachments:

in Asura

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

Afro is the only way to go.

Pretty much this.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood