Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

According to some lore, namely Oola, necromancy is the future of golemancy.

Looking at the cities, weapons and architecture, there’s obviously some magitech going on.

Which asks the question, what profession designs all this? Are the computer systems made by Mesmers, the buildings by Engineers, the golems by Necromancers and everything powered by Elementalists?

Or is there one profession that is, more or less, quintessentially Asura?

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

The Tech doesn’t seem to tie back to any specific class. Remember, ALL Asura can be Golemancers thanks to Racial Elite Skills. I’d say even Asura Warriors are using magical engineering to make their glowing glyph swords.

Oddly, the Engineer class itself is perhaps the LEAST suited to this, since the aesthetic of your tech heavily reflects the canonical class origin as Charr Battle Mechanics, and doesn’t reflect the glowing glyphic magic-infused style of Asura Tech at all.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

I would say Engineer is the least fitting class for Asura because all of the tech they use is Charr. They need to change the skins of the engineer class for the Asura or else this class will never make any sense for one. All of the skins are already in the game, they just need to change them for Asura.

Necromancer is definitely much more fitting.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Destac.2064

Destac.2064

I would say the necromancer. The reason is while the Asura do create robots they are the embodiment of magic all of their machines have some form of magic. Not to mention that the engineer turrets look like a Charr made them. So the necromancer makes more sense

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I would say Engineer is the least fitting class for Asura because all of the tech they use is Charr. They need to change the skins of the engineer class for the Asura or else this class will never make any sense for one. All of the skins are already in the game, they just need to change them for Asura.

Necromancer is definitely much more fitting.

But then you might as well say every profession should be changed for each class.

Engineers
Sylvari would get seed/plant turrets.
Humans would get a less steampunk feel.
Norn would get a more naturey feel without being actual plants. (Possible wurms, as well.)

And then if we take that step, we might as well say that your personal storyline choices during character creation affect your skills.

Say you made a golem as your first thing for an Asura. One of your elites is now a golem and your utility skills are golemancy based.

Say you picked Kormir as your god for a Human. You now have Kormir-based skills (not just one).

Just sayin’.

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: InfamousBrad.5879

InfamousBrad.5879

out of character: For what it’s worth, all of the NPCs that have Golemancer in their names seem to be elementalists. No, I don’t understand why, either.

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Remember – ALL Asura are implied to be magically and technically adept. Zojja is an elementalist, Snaff a mesmer and yet both were skilled golemancers. Since Asura tech runs on magic casters are asura’s technicians.

Asura engineers are actually the oddballs of Asura society; they shun magic in favour of chemical and mechanical solutions which makes them very very eccentric by comparrison.

out of character: For what it’s worth, all of the NPCs that have Golemancer in their names seem to be elementalists. No, I don’t understand why, either.

Yeah, odd that – but we do know Snaff was a golemancer too and he was a mesmer. Likewise Teyo appears to be an engineer and she built that huge cubist golem in the tutorial

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Caledore.6271

Caledore.6271

Elixirs I think are the exception for engineers – they (and the elixir gun) feel very Asuran, and they certainly seem at least partially magical in nature. The weapon skills still might not feel very appropriate, but grabbing a Glyphic or Peacekeeper weapon and using a pure Elixir build can make the Engineer feel pretty Asuran.

It’s true though that most of the Engineer skills and kits don’t feel quite right for an Asura.

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

One thing that may sway me too is the apparent lack of animations on Asura engineers. Whereas the animations on, say a Human or Sylvari with various swords all are pretty generic, Asuras wielding greatswords, swords and other weapons have unique and sometimes hilarious animations. As far as I can tell Asura animations with all Engineer and Necromancer weapons (barring the scepter sway) are the same as their taller brethren.

So in the end, I’ll probably do an Asura Mesmer (over the shoulder greatsword, mid-air frenzy, one hand mindstab, etc.), and this will be keeping with the Asuran lore as magitech. Now I have to decide which races to use for Engineer and Necromancer. I’m thinking Human or Charr.

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Remember – ALL Asura are implied to be magically and technically adept. Zojja is an elementalist, Snaff a mesmer and yet both were skilled golemancers. Since Asura tech runs on magic casters are asura’s technicians.

Asura engineers are actually the oddballs of Asura society; they shun magic in favour of chemical and mechanical solutions which makes them very very eccentric by comparrison.

Yeah, odd that – but we do know Snaff was a golemancer too and he was a mesmer. Likewise Teyo appears to be an engineer and she built that huge cubist golem in the tutorial

Out of curiosity, where is Snaff’s class confirmed? I don’t recall it coming up in the novel.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Xaklok.2390

Xaklok.2390

Greetings

my name is Xaklok, Chief Xak to my kru, Xaklok Nottel for those strange races that need lastnames. I’m an asuran engineer, member in good standing of the college of Dynamics, inventor of the infinity ball (well ONE of them!), master crafter and yes I have been there and done that.

As such a respected member of the asuran society I have to say that everyone who claims that the engineer profession is not an asuran way to live, or that asura engineers are oddballs must have gone to school in Skrittsburgh!

Did you ever hear about the eternal alchemy? Alchemy, I just say that word again without further comment. As many here are obviously lacking the basics, I will rather take the text from the wiki than trying to explain it in my own wise words (which would be wiser than the wiki, but harder to understand):

“Asura believe in the Eternal Alchemy – the idea that all beings and magic in the world are a part or function of a greater purpose or “machine”. Asuran life is built around the research of the Eternal Alchemy – the asura join one of three massive colleges dedicated to this research, each covering different fields. It is believed once complete mastery is gained over the Eternal Alchemy, mastery will be gained over all of Tyria. There are various asura who proclaim that Eternal Alchemy is not a religion, but rather a science."

Of course, before you can fully understand the concept of the eternal alchemy, it helps to understand both parts of it: philosophical matters about life, death, eternity AND the more practical stuff, the alchemy. Now, while I clearly see necromancers being the best source for the eternal part, make a guess which profession is the one for the grandmaster of alchemy, hmm hmm? Wrong! It’s the engineer, tada!

Let’s say you’re are feeling really sick and somehow you are afraid you might die soon. Now you got 2 options: You can go to a priest (necromancer) or to a doctor (it’s me, the asuran engineer!) to get help. Without wanting to offend any really religious people here, personally I would rather want to see the doc first!

So, without any doubt I have proven that the engineer is the most asuran profession right next to the necromancers because we are the wisest asura around. Which means we are, .. oh well other races might read that.

Now about the issues of daily live. I have to agree that a lot our equipment was produced in the black citadel. But that is just the more soldier style frontline stuff. Rifle and turrets in example. The rifle is a mix of brute force and submitting your foes to your command with light suicidal tendencies (which might be asuran influence). The turrets … well besides the supply drop they nearly never hold what they promise so yeah I mean look at them, its BCC (black citadel crap)!

But all the potions – it is alchemy (see Eternaly Alchemy above, if you forgot already) … It is our “technology” .. never seen the alchemy tables around metrica?

Confusion and glue shot on the pistol were clearly invented in Rata Sum, and without the college of dynamics there would be only 1 projectile in “Poison Dart Volley”. Magnetic and static shield, most parts of the exlixier gun, many gadgets and of course the super elixier – all made in Rata Sum.

Uhn yeah and about the golemancers … I would never argue who is best at playing puppets with golems, but when you enter Metrica from Rata Sum one of the first quests includes repairing them. There is nothing magical about repairing golems, you put wires together, kick them in the knee and hit them with a wrench! Now it is your guess again.. which profession uses a wrench! Congratulations you have just reached level 2! It is indeed the engineer.

Will anyone ever argue again? No, thank you! And now back to work.

[XAK] Xyrophobe Archäologen Krytas
Dzagonur

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Actually, Oola siad that necromancy and golemancy were destined to colide becasue they are opposites. If they have been merged then that is a new developement and it wouldn’t just be necromancers.

Lorewise, the Statics build using time tested tradition and they improve on time tested designs. the dynamics cmake the largest leaps forward but there is alot of trial and error. While the Synergetics come up with answers to problems only they see. But all classes can fit in all colleges.

So there is no one profession that does it.

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Out of curiosity, where is Snaff’s class confirmed? I don’t recall it coming up in the novel.

It isn’t, but very few characters have their “class” formally confirmed in the books either. Snaff’s research was particularly focused on mind-golem interfacing, and their entire master plan with kralky involved him getting into the dragons head and dominating it.

Whenever Snaff is doing something with magic, it’s closely tied with the magic of the mind – mesmerism, that he appears to be practising, not to mention he wears traditional mesmer colours.

Your mileage may vary, but we know he’s a staff wielding, light-armoured caster (He actually wears Asura tier 3 light armour), he’s not a necro and he practises mind magic and golemancy

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I have an Asura Engineer and at first I figured that made sense. Asura are ingenious crafters and creators. But I realize now that the Engineer gadgets are probably beneath them. They aren’t magical, they aren’t particulary advanced. Charr are the true Engineers, cobbling together archaic war machines, steam powered gadgets, inelegant death throwers. I see the Asura Engineers as those with whimsy. Goofing around Tyria proving that they are the superior race, killing baddies with even the most primitive tech, masters of adaptation. Setting things on fire with a smirk & a demeaning retort. Not having to kill with something they’ve built, but merely with the tools they use to build (wrench thwack!).

Asura Necros…sure, why not? It’s magic. It’s edgy and controversial and those are 2 things it seems Asura eat up.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Death gets an undeserved bad reputation. You should form a krewe for the sole purpose of proving that death is A-Okay!

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

But then you might as well say every profession should be changed for each class.

Engineers
Sylvari would get seed/plant turrets.
Humans would get a less steampunk feel.
Norn would get a more naturey feel without being actual plants. (Possible wurms, as well.)

I would go the opposite direction. Engineers of all races are particularly crafty individuals. They should simply have more kits that touch on all races’ technology. Have some energy turrets like the NPC Asura engineers have, some planty brambles that immobilize foes that get near it, some short duration siege weapon one can take hop on and use…not sure what Norn do, the only thing I could think of is Flintstone-esque tech ‘powered’ by woodland creatures >_<

But yeah, there should just be a wide variety of kits (perhaps replacing a lot of the ones available) with a theme that encompasses the technology of all of Tyria.

Necro or Engy, Lorewise?

in Asura

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I think engineers specifically deal with steampunk type tech. the kind of tech charr society is built on but it isn’t below asuran tech. it’s just based diffrentlly. Asran society os built on magitech. Not purely magic or purely technological but a hybrid because magic was so abundant they didn’t need to develope steam or clockwork tech. Like golemancy. So asrua who pick engineering are actually delving into a new science for themselves, rather than lowering themselves to a ‘primitive’ tech.