New faces (and your 'cute-obsession')

in Asura

Posted by: Bellyboomer.3048

Bellyboomer.3048

So, is everybody happy with the new faces? I personally think that they all look so babyfaced and ‘cute’. And yes, a lot of you like your asura to be cute, but Anet went overboard this time. The main feature of the asura is that they’re intelligent godless beings, not make-up dolls for fangirls.
But feel free to prove me wrong.

in Asura

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Nothing wrong with cute, the problem with these faces are:
1 – They are all the same (seriously look closely) the only difference is the eyes.
2 – Snake eyes.. really? Way to break the lore.
3 – Both male and female have the same faces..

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Asura

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

The only thing I like about the faces are the snake eyes.^^

in Asura

Well it’s too late to remove them now since a lot of people would have already bought a kit to get them.

But it’s really lorebreaking, asura are not reptiles.

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Asura

Pirlipat.2479

Cats have that kind of eyes too.^^ And afaik they are no reptiles

in Asura

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I think these faces are for a different market, one that this game just recently launched in.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Asura

Bellyboomer.3048

I think these faces are for a different market, one that this game just recently launched in.

Ah, could be.

in Asura

Cats have that kind of eyes too.^^ And afaik they are no reptiles

Well, asura are not cats either.

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Asura

Pirlipat.2479

No, but is there a source which says lorewise: Asura have only round pupils?

in Asura

No, but is there a source which says lorewise: Asura have only round pupils?

No. But that doesn’t mean much.
There isn’t a source saying that asura can’t have horns either, that doesn’t mean that they can.

~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

in Asura

Rouven.7409

I have no problem with the pupils. They are supposedly an underground species so you could apply “nocturnal” tendencies and thus the cat like eyes.

Most likely a specific asura tribe that lived closer to the surface developed these eyes for the bright sunlight and the darkness underground.

in Asura

Pirlipat.2479

I have no problem with the pupils. They are supposedly an underground species so you could apply “nocturnal” tendencies and thus the cat like eyes.

Most likely a specific asura tribe that lived closer to the surface developed these eyes for the bright sunlight and the darkness underground.

Nice idea. sigh now I wish I could like the rest of the face too. :S

in Asura

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The male face is way too cutesy and feminine looking. I had this problem with one of the faces introduced last time as well. I guess there’s something to be said for variety and choice and maybe some people like that sort of thing, but in my eyes the face should at least look masculine. Make it cutesy and masculine, fine. But making it look feminine I’m not a fan of at all. With some of the unisex hairstyles and the “no hair” style (or a character wearing helmet or something that hides hair), having the face look feminine too means you pretty much can’t even tell what gender the character is. Especially since they share the same armor as well.

The female one I’m fine with.

My bigger problem with the faces is the fact that they’re retextures of the same face with different eyes. That’s horribly lazy and disappointing. “3 new faces!”… yah, more like 1 new face with 2 variations.

Not quite as kittenylvari who get 3 “new” faces which are ALL just retextures of one of the faces from the previous face pack, but still…

in Asura

Bellyboomer.3048

My bigger problem with the faces is the fact that they’re retextures of the same face with different eyes. That’s horribly lazy and disappointing. “3 new faces!”… yah, more like 1 new face with 2 variations.

Not quite as kittenylvari who get 3 “new” faces which are ALL just retextures of one of the faces from the previous face pack, but still…

Taking a closer look, this seems to be the case with most of the faces. Look at the humans and the norn…

in Asura

Posted by: pepebart.5187

pepebart.5187

I think Anet’s devs just saw how cute an asura necro could be with the trickster mask (actually giving you those “cat’s eye”) and have made this available for all asuras <3

Attachments:

in Asura

Bellyboomer.3048

I think Anet’s devs just saw how cute an asura necro could be with the trickster mask (actually giving you those “cat’s eye”) and have made this available for all asuras <3

This is what I am talking about, why do Asura always need to be cute for you guys? There is nothing in this face that reflects any characteristics of the asura.

in Asura

This is what I am talking about, why do Asura always need to be cute for you guys?

Because why not?

Being cute is basically their trademark.

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Asura

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Asura already had cute feline qualities. some of the origional female faces have features that look very reminicent of kittens. and i know one of the male faces has pupils that can be narrowed quite a bit.

in Asura

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I don’t mind the snake eyes. I can think of plenty of lore reasons why an Asura might have them (Krait eye implants, you are the progeny whose parents experimented with genetic mutations, a magical ritual gone awry etc. etc.)

in Asura

Bellyboomer.3048

This is what I am talking about, why do Asura always need to be cute for you guys?

Because why not?

Being cute is basically their trademark.

The way I see it, the persuit of their intelect; to the point where it’s almost cruel; is their trademark. Looking down on other races, little consideration for others, the succes of the experiment is often taken before the safety of the crewe…

Is there anywhere in the game where an npc mentions that asura are cute?
If anyone would say to Zojja that she’s cute, wouldn’t she come up with the most colorful insults and threats to make sure that person would never say that again?

This is cute:
http://www.tumblr18.com/t18/2013/10/Cute-kitten-praying.jpg

This… not so much:
http://media.guildwars2guru.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/guild-wars-2-concept-art/asura.jpg

in Asura

Dustfinger.9510

Zojja’s response would only make her so much cuter.

in Asura

The way I see it, the persuit of their intelect; to the point where it’s almost cruel; is their trademark. Looking down on other races, little consideration for others, the succes of the experiment is often taken before the safety of the crewe…

What you are describing is the inquest.
And maybe some bad apples here and there, every race has those.

In the end wether someone is cute is entirely subjective. Many people think Asura are cute, some don’t. Lets leave it at that

Attachments:

~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

in Asura

Rouven.7409

I think they are cute, up until the point where they show me their piranha teeth and jump at me like mad gremlins. But of course the cutesy voices doesn’t help either, hehe.

Now to be fair, there are in general very few “uncute” options at character creation. Some charr faces are definitely not cute because the teeth and fangs are sticking out left and right, and some norn have scars or blind eyes. But that’s really it.

Big head on smaller body is very close to the shape of babies and we perceive them all as cute, be it a kitten, puppy or human baby.

in Asura

Pirlipat.2479

Well for me there is cute and there is clever, grumpy, fun, cool (you name it) and cute. Those new faces are a bit to much on the only cute side for my taste. It’s somehow to obvious that the faces are intended to be cute. But meh thats me.

in Asura

Posted by: Uber.7623

Uber.7623

For those cutie-haters, you can go back to where you came from. My Ninnko will be among the cutest of the Asuran race.

Attachments:

in Asura

Pirlipat.2479

Is he…erm.. a relative of Rox maybe? xD

in Asura

That one creeps me out tbh

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Asura

Rouven.7409

Like a mad scientist that’s going to crack a smile any second now …

in Asura

Dustfinger.9510

Like a mad scientist that’s going to crack a smile any second now …

And when he does crack that smile, he may offer you tea or rip your jugular out. Both are equally likely.

in Asura

Anyone back to the topic.

In regards to why so many Asura have to be so cute, Taimi explains why:
“I routinely apply my cuteness as a weapon and/or tool…”

Attachments:

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Asura

Pirlipat.2479

That’s a matter of taste. I find Taimi extremely annoying. Probably the most annoying NPC ever. Ohhhhh I’m so cute, ohhh and so clever and look I’m a kid and look I’m an orphan as well, don’t you dare not to like me or you are a bad person. sigh Do you also have a turnoff button somewhere?^^ brrr

But I find that Shrek-cat annoying too (forgot the name). Shrek ftw he’s way much cooler. Oh and donkey ofc.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

in Asura

Posted by: Flintbrow.7985

Flintbrow.7985

Here’s a face that, while it’s not brand new, shows how you can make a male Asura look cute without any really feminine characteristics:

Attachments:

Neenu Waffler-Warrior for what once was the Toast-

in Asura

Rouven.7409

Here’s a face that, while it’s not brand new, shows how you can make a male Asura look cute without any really feminine characteristics:

Well done! Like a little boy gazing at the world full of wonder.

in Asura

Posted by: Uber.7623

Uber.7623

A world of wonder that is Orr.

However, I think that unlike what a guy said earlier today, you can really make an Asura look far different from each other than other races can IMO. Seems the eyes does make a huge difference in selection to me.

in Asura

Posted by: Thalionsir.5976

Thalionsir.5976

What I think might be a little bit of a problem is, there is really no present baseline for asura faces, and how they are supposed to look. Should they look cute? Should they look old and wizened? Or something in between? Of course, thus leads to either people not caring, people looking to the NPC’s for a standard, the players setting a baseline based on personal preference, or an in-universe explanation for why the faces should look the way they do.

Regardless of how the faces “Should” look, actions speak louder than words, and what the majority ends up liking, well, that’s what is gonna end up the norm. Also, let’s be honest, the majority of players don’t read these forums, for some reason or another.

in Asura

Bellyboomer.3048

What I think might be a little bit of a problem is, there is really no present baseline for asura faces, and how they are supposed to look. Should they look cute? Should they look old and wizened? Or something in between? Of course, thus leads to either people not caring, people looking to the NPC’s for a standard, the players setting a baseline based on personal preference, or an in-universe explanation for why the faces should look the way they do.

Regardless of how the faces “Should” look, actions speak louder than words, and what the majority ends up liking, well, that’s what is gonna end up the norm. Also, let’s be honest, the majority of players don’t read these forums, for some reason or another.

I get the feeling that the only people who read this forum are the cute-lovers. Just look at this thread alone and count the number of ‘^^’ and ‘:)’.
It just lacks something to counter it, there should be a ballance between cute and severe… I mean, the Taimi-haircut looks nice and cute, but it does get bland when everybody has it.

in Asura

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

I think many of the exclusive asura faces from the total makeover kit are too doll-like. I can understand maybe having a few doll-like faces, but now it’s just getting out of hand. I’ve been wanting to make my last 3 asura for MONTHS now, but I can’t find any faces or hairstyles I like. The faces make the asura look either too young or too old, and the hairstyles (at least for the males) are too punk-like for many of the character concepts I try to make. The asura are in desperate need of variety right now.

Also, I think the new faces are not cute… uncanny valley is more like it. No offense to the person who made them.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

(edited by Aguri.2896)

in Asura

It’s also because of the fact that most asura non cute faces are ugly as hell.
In my opinion anyway.

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Asura

Bellyboomer.3048

It’s also because of the fact that most asura non cute faces are ugly as hell.
In my opinion anyway.

It can make your character more interesting.

in Asura

Dustfinger.9510

Asura do have the option to be not-at-all cute. But they just aren’t as commonly used because like the prettier options of the other races, just aren’t in high demand.

in Asura

Posted by: Syrpharon.7491

Syrpharon.7491

well I think my Asura is kinda cute
He’s an androginous born with talent and creativity, and legend says he has some Norn or Human blood, but those are just rumours. He likes to tell that story in different ways anyway. He made himself known for his eccentricity and curiosity. And if you look closely, he’s got freackles! (he’s a ginger asura). Say hello to Odinn The Seeker!

Used basically everything new for him. While I don’t like the recent 3 faces added, cause they kinda suck, the first 3 were ok and good enough.Cat eyes on Asuras are meh, but I think asuras don’t really have a lot of distinguishable details among the races, plus they were cave creatures, so feline eyes to see in the dark are ok.
But seriously guys, problem is there’s really no middle way between young asuras faces and old ones. Either they are too polish or too rude. If I wanted to create an asura without the makeover kit, I would have chosen the last two faces in the set.
Say hello to Odinn The Seeker!

Attachments: