Unassisted Flight: can we asura achieve it?

in Asura

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

a human guild mate of mine who was following along in a jumping puzzle suddenly commented that my superior jumping ability hadto be because of the extra lift generated by my floppy ears.

each time I jumped, she claimed, my ears would flop so much she believed I was lifting higher off the ground.

watching myself jump in the mirror, I did observe a almost flapping movement reminiscent of cave bats.

this, my fellow asurans, got me wondering if somehow full flight could be achieved.

I have begun a regimen of exercises to strengthen the ear muscles. in the meantime, I wondered if any of you had given thought to this?

:-)

in Asura

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

My dear fellow, you should know that the tale of Plumbo, the Asura who could fly with his ears, is a piece of fiction told to progeny. The Aeronautics krewe published a VERY comprehensive study (dedicated to the many, many Asura who tragically lost their lives attempting to prove the theory) a few years ago proving why such unassisted flight utilising only ear muscle power is impossible.

in Asura

Posted by: Kitcat.1739

Kitcat.1739

I always hated the story of Plumbo.

“Premade”
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

in Asura

Posted by: BoyLer.9732

BoyLer.9732

“a human guild mate of mine who was following along in a jumping puzzle suddenly commented that my superior jumping ability hadto be because of the extra lift generated by my floppy ears.

each time I jumped, she claimed, my ears would flop so much she believed I was lifting higher off the ground."

Don’t listen to the bookahs!

in Asura

Posted by: IagoWynne.9628

IagoWynne.9628

Alas, due to the far greater density of the asuran brain (thus permitting us far more neurons and a greater intellectual capacity than humans) unassisted flight using nothing more than our ears is not possible. Aetherical propulsion, however, could be a viable method should your heart be set of following this course. I am certain your bookah acquaintance will be unable to recognise that you are not flying unassisted.

in Asura

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I always believed that Plumbo was more significant in its analysis of the psychological effect of “power item fixation”, whereby she could only fly if she carried the “lucky gizmo”, but later learned to believe in herself and not in the presence of the unrelated tool. A valuable lesson for progeny to learn that just because two things may seem connected does not always make it so when the association is tested.

However, it is also an interesting study in the area of mental power, whereby the mind can produce impressive bodily control when a placebo is employed and later with training. Humans have often suggested that with proper mental training they can slow breathing and control autonomic processes, so just think what wonders an Asura could work with similar techniques? Perhaps our lack of a religious caste has hindered this interesting area of development.

As to flight, well, the ears to wings theory is a popular and amusing topic, but I think that we have all established that the lack of rigid structures, such as pneumatised bones, in the ears, renders them unable to support weight in flight.

in Asura

Posted by: Btox.4083

Btox.4083

At least with strong ears, you could be successful with the ladies… if you know what I mean.

Sent from my iGOLEM

in Asura

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Considering the number free floating, gravity-defying buildings and other architecture we’ve built, the answer is clearly yes.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

in Asura

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

There’s always. . .Focused. Psychokinetic. Study.
Now, kindly send all of your pet Bookahs to the nearest Dynamics laboratory. We’ll handle things from there.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Asura

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

The answer is really rather simple.

It’s all about forces; provided a force acting upward exceeds that of gravity, even a bookah can fly “unassisted”

If then we consider “unassisted” to mean “not wearing or seated upon a device that produces lift”, then positioning an apprentice upon a modest pile fo explosives and lighting the fuse will provide a force in excess of gravity, and thus produce “unassisted” flight in the individual.

This proves once more that if explosives are not solving your problem, you just need more explosives.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Asura

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

This proves once more that if explosives are not solving your problem, you just need more explosives.

Just remember the cardinal rule when dealing with explosives: “Never strap explosives directly to your body.”

in Asura

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Our cities are flying without assistance.

The only reason we don’t is because it is a distraction.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears