A guide to custom playlists

in Audio

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Introduction:
ArenaNet has offered the ability for people to replace Guild Wars 2 ingame music with different custom playlists that will play at certain locations / situations. This guide will explain how to do this.

Getting Started:
What you need is any media program that can create and save music playlists. The following playlist formats are supported: .wpl, .m3u, .pls, .asx, and .wax
For Windows users Windows Media Player is the easiest option.
Supported audio files are: everything FMOD supports by default, which includes .mp3, .ogg, .flac, .wav. aiff, and a bunch of old-school music formats, like .mid or .it files

Setting Up The Playlists:
Drag the song(s) you want for your playlist inside the playlist menu, and go to File, then select Save Now Playing list as… and locate your Guild Wars 2 music folder, which should be under: C:\Users\Your Name\My Documents\Guild Wars 2\Music
These are the recognised playlists: Ambient, Battle, Underwater, City, Crafting, BossBattle, NightTime, and MainMenu – Saving under any other names will not play the list ingame.

A how-to-do video on setting up your playlists (excuse my English… not my main language…):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cQFoMQTnns&hd=1

How They Work:
Custom playlists work the way you’d think they’ll work. Whenever you’re out in the field during daytime you’ll have your Ambient playlist playing. During battle with more than 3 enemies at a time, the game will activate the Battle playlist. In the huge instanced cities, your City playlists will be playing.
Songs don’t seem to get randomised very well. A playlist will always start off with the first song on the list. What I’ve noticed from the little testing that I did with the MainMenu playlist is that after the first song it does seem to randomise the songs. So a possible solution might be add one very short silent sound file as your first song on the list.

Tip: Using a short audio file as the first song does function as a playlist randomiser. Randomising works for all playlists, except MainMenu and BossBattle.

A Fix To Quiet Playlists
In the previous custom music thread there were people having trouble with getting it to work. The most common problem was setting up the playlists as described in my video, but not hearing any music ingame.
Luckily I found out what caused this, and how to fix this.

This is caused by having your Windows Media Player writing shortcuts for the file location in the playlist. Then moving the playlist to another drive, the game will not be able to find the location of the audio file from the written shortcut in the playlist.

The easy way to fix this is to save your playlist on a different drive than the one you saved it on previously, and then copy/paste that playlist into your Guild Wars 2\Music folder.

If you don’t have a second drive to save your playlists on, you can try this. Open your playlist file in Notepad. You’ll see the file location for each song in the list is noted as a shortcut. Manually edit the noted location so it shows the full location. Example of playlist with full locations for each song:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j165/Milennin/ScreenShot218.png

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

(edited by Milennin.4825)

in Audio

Posted by: RamenNoodles.7568

RamenNoodles.7568

I was trying to figure out why it wasn’t random for the longest time before giving up.

Your guide is definitely helping me now

in Audio

Milennin.4825

Heh, glad it was of use to you.^^

in Audio

Posted by: AstroCat.7628

AstroCat.7628

I’ve noticed in game the ambient music seems to be location specific, any way to recreate this with the playlist structure? Also, I presume this overwrites all in-game music, so you’d have to use the actual soundtrack to re-insert the original tracks?

Wardens of Destiny – Tarnished Coast
M: Aedan Nightshade (Sylvari Necromancer)

in Audio

Posted by: Shroom Mage.9410

Shroom Mage.9410

I had that problem before, too, but the fix is very simple. Open the playlist in a text editor (like Notepad) and add the drive (C:,, etc.) in front of each track.

“Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don’t matter
and those who matter don’t mind.” -Dr. Seuss

in Audio

Posted by: Aradon.5936

Aradon.5936

Is there any word on the Crafting playlist? Last I checked, nobody had been able to get it to trigger. I was looking forward to crafting to my wonky music :P

in Audio

Posted by: RamenNoodles.7568

RamenNoodles.7568

Is there any word on the Crafting playlist? Last I checked, nobody had been able to get it to trigger. I was looking forward to crafting to my wonky music :P

:O I would use the meat cooking music from monster hunter. I’m guessing that the discussion with crafting playlist is not on the guild wars 2 forum?

in Audio

Aradon.5936

:O I would use the meat cooking music from monster hunter. I’m guessing that the discussion with crafting playlist is not on the guild wars 2 forum?

I believe it was on the Bugs section before the full forums went live. There were only a few comments, but most people mentioned that Crafting was among their playlist bugs.

in Audio

Milennin.4825

Yup, crafting doesn’t play. Bugged probably.

in Audio

Posted by: anonymouse.9053

anonymouse.9053

omg I love you. I have to try this with my much beloved ffxi music.

Thanks!

in Audio

Posted by: drifter.2083

drifter.2083

Quick question is it possible to have a playlist for individual cities (rather then a general city playlist) of each race? If so what are the exact names for creating these playlists.

in Audio

Posted by: theli.3542

theli.3542

game changing valuable information , thank you for posting.J.S.Bach in Divinity’s Reach

Human Ranger
Aurora Glade – Aetheria guild

in Audio

Milennin.4825

Quick question is it possible to have a playlist for individual cities (rather then a general city playlist) of each race? If so what are the exact names for creating these playlists.

Nope, the ones I listed are the only playlists that work.

in Audio

Aradon.5936

The BossBattle playlist doesn’t seem to randomize, even with a blank track at the beginning. Always goes to the second track on my list. Weird.

in Audio

Posted by: Bobi.8306

Bobi.8306

I wish we had for the PvP battles also.

in Audio

Posted by: Rage The Numbers.7943

Rage The Numbers.7943

Concerning Crafting, there is also a “Defeated” playlist that doesn’t work either.

Also, is there a way to play the custom playlist where it intermingles with the in-game music?

Rage The Nornynorn – Guild Leader [RR] Reddit Refugees
Sanctum of Rall
http://www.reddit.com/r/Reddit_Refugees – Visit the site for Recruitment!

in Audio

Posted by: Loso.6803

Loso.6803

may i ask why my combat playlist start to play after i pull at least 5 mobs? i want it to start every time i pull even one mob

in Audio

Posted by: Albert.5096

Albert.5096

Oh I wish one day Anet change the playlist by zone and race. I just don’t want to hear the same theme in Divinity’s Reach and Rata Sum.

Thanks for this guide!

in Audio

Milennin.4825

Concerning Crafting, there is also a “Defeated” playlist that doesn’t work either.

Also, is there a way to play the custom playlist where it intermingles with the in-game music?

There is no “defeated” playlist.
As for the question, nope. Unless you happen to own the songs, then you can add them to your custom playlists.

may i ask why my combat playlist start to play after i pull at least 5 mobs? i want it to start every time i pull even one mob

Because it’d be pretty annoying if battle music started playing every single time you go into any sort of combat.

in Audio

Posted by: Elbow.1234

Elbow.1234

Is there a way to add in custom music while keeping the original? I don’t want to replace the music, just add more of it.

in Audio

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

Tag for home. (15 char nonsense)

in Audio

Posted by: ftskaleem.8342

ftskaleem.8342

Is there a way to add in custom music while keeping the original? I don’t want to replace the music, just add more of it.

As far as I read… I dont think that is possible… The play list you created will over write the ingame’s one. BUT, if you have the mp3 of the original Soundtrack then you can do so.

Cyda Windrunner: Lv20 E/Me | Lv80 E
Kaleem: Lv80 T

in Audio

Posted by: STOMPEE.3819

STOMPEE.3819

The following playlist formats are supported: .wpl, .m3u, .pls, .asx, and .wax

[/quote]
Ok has anyone tried using internet radio via a .wax file? Milennin says that .wax is supported and the primary use of .wax is streamed content, but everytime i enter the game with my “MainMenu.wax” file i get a critical error and the game crashes.
I’ve tried .pls as well and same result when trying to used streamed content.

in Audio

Milennin.4825

The following playlist formats are supported: .wpl, .m3u, .pls, .asx, and .wax

Ok has anyone tried using internet radio via a .wax file? Milennin says that .wax is supported and the primary use of .wax is streamed content, but everytime i enter the game with my “MainMenu.wax” file i get a critical error and the game crashes.
I’ve tried .pls as well and same result when trying to used streamed content.

I got the custom playlist information from a dev post during BETA months ago. I haven’t used or tested .wax files, so I have no idea.
I don’t know, but maybe they removed the .wax compatibility. Maybe someone else who tried can confirm?

in Audio

Posted by: Neoma.3207

Neoma.3207

it worked! Thank you for the guide.

Sea of Sorrows

in Audio

Posted by: Rage The Numbers.7943

Rage The Numbers.7943

FYI, using procmon, you can see there is a Defeated playlist.

Rage The Nornynorn – Guild Leader [RR] Reddit Refugees
Sanctum of Rall
http://www.reddit.com/r/Reddit_Refugees – Visit the site for Recruitment!

in Audio

Milennin.4825

FYI, using procmon, you can see there is a Defeated playlist.

I have no doubt they have more playlists than the ones I listed in my guide. But these are the only playlists confirmed by a dev to work for custom playlists. Defeated was not of one them.

in Audio

Posted by: Clouded Visions.5481

Clouded Visions.5481

BossBattle playlist wont randomize for me. =/

in Audio

Milennin.4825

BossBattle playlist wont randomize for me. =/

Common problem. Probably bugged.

in Audio

Posted by: urtv.8791

urtv.8791

is it possible to just make one playlist and get it to play throughout the game at any location instead of making separate playlists for each occasion?

in Audio

Posted by: RusieQ.8569

RusieQ.8569

So basically all your doing is replacing the files from GW2 sound-clips with your own custom sound-clips.

Fair enough.

in Audio

Posted by: Devilking.7592

Devilking.7592

Is there anyway to get certain songs on the playlist to play in certan areas? i would like to get this song playing while I’m in Orr (this song fits the place perfectly)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta1oV8Uh4Y4

in Audio

Milennin.4825

is it possible to just make one playlist and get it to play throughout the game at any location instead of making separate playlists for each occasion?

Then you could just mute ingame music and play music from your media player instead…?

Is there anyway to get certain songs on the playlist to play in certan areas? i would like to get this song playing while I’m in Orr (this song fits the place perfectly)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta1oV8Uh4Y4

Nope, but if you know you’re going to spend a while in Orr, why not use that song when you’re there, and take it away when you go elsewhere?

in Audio

Aradon.5936

Ambient does not properly randomize for me while in Charr territory, either. Every time I run out to Plains of Ashford, I get the same three tracks to start with, in order.

in Audio

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

Well, this is helpful and awesome info ^^

Except the in game music is already so good that I won’t be doing it for a while XD

in Audio

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

If i make my own playlists, will the ingame music be deleted?

Will removing the custom playlists make the launcher download the old music files again?

in Audio

Posted by: catnip.7903

catnip.7903

Milennin, thx always wanted to put my .//hack music into another mmo! i see you’ve done the same

What lies in the furthest reaches of the sky?
That which will guide the lost child back to her mother’s arms: Exile.

in Audio

Milennin.4825

If i make my own playlists, will the ingame music be deleted?

Will removing the custom playlists make the launcher download the old music files again?

If you take the custom playlists out of the music folder it’ll revert back to the original game music.

in Audio

Posted by: Krylancelo.4807

Krylancelo.4807

theres no folders in my music folder

in Audio

Posted by: Wechsl.2907

Wechsl.2907

Thanks for the guide, I didn’t know how the randomizing worked until I read this.

in Audio

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

This is great stuff! But I can’t get my battle music to play. I tested around with playlists to see how it works, and so far I imported ambient, night time and battle music to test it. First two work perfectly they even randomize without adding extra silent tunes but the battle music never plays.
I know you have to pull more then just 1 mob but I was all over the place, pulling up to 7 mobs at time and nothing triggered. I’m not exactly sure how to fix this And when do boss battles work?

in Audio

Milennin.4825

theres no folders in my music folder

No, but there is a folder called “music”, that’s where your playlists go.

This is great stuff! But I can’t get my battle music to play. I tested around with playlists to see how it works, and so far I imported ambient, night time and battle music to test it. First two work perfectly they even randomize without adding extra silent tunes but the battle music never plays.
I know you have to pull more then just 1 mob but I was all over the place, pulling up to 7 mobs at time and nothing triggered. I’m not exactly sure how to fix this And when do boss battles work?

If you have a free character slot left, try going to the human tutorial and test battle music there? Since there’s permanent battle music in that instance it’s easy to test there.

in Audio

CharrGirl.7896

Yeah I checked in sylvari tutorial area and it played all the time, nicely. So what am I doing wrong in the game world? I tested it again on 6 mobs – nothing Shame because it would be really great to hear stuff if you pulled 2+ mobs

in Audio

Milennin.4825

Yeah I checked in sylvari tutorial area and it played all the time, nicely. So what am I doing wrong in the game world? I tested it again on 6 mobs – nothing Shame because it would be really great to hear stuff if you pulled 2+ mobs

I don’t know, it works fine for me.=s Maybe try other areas? I remember music not playing at all in some areas during Beta cause of bugs.

in Audio

CharrGirl.7896

I don’t know, it works fine for me.=s Maybe try other areas? I remember music not playing at all in some areas during Beta cause of bugs.

I will test it tomorrow then. Just how many enemies do you have to pull in order for it to work?

in Audio

Milennin.4825

I will test it tomorrow then. Just how many enemies do you have to pull in order for it to work?

For me it usually starts playing when I’m fighting 3 or 4 enemies at a time, which usually happens during DE’s. And oh yeah, you asked about the bossbattle playlist. That one starts playing during the unique world bosses, like Swamp Behemoth and the Dragon champions. It also plays during some of the dungeon bosses.

in Audio

CharrGirl.7896

Thanks i got it working I have to figure the boss battle yet, but I’m sure it will work out

in Audio

Milennin.4825

Sweet, congrats.=p

in Audio

Posted by: Ponzu.4570

Ponzu.4570

I cant seems to get Lion’s Arch working,the rest is fine

lvl80 sylavari Engineer
Crystal Desert

in Audio

Milennin.4825

For some reason Lion’s Arch plays ambient instead of city.