Music macros and gameplay advantage

in Audio

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’d have preferred to stay out of this debate entirely, but based on your closing post in the other thread, Gaile, where you said that macros which do not grant a gameplay advantage are allowed (a fair enough stance, IMO), I have a question.

Does this mean that players who use such macros for minigames such as the Bell Choir during Wintersday are breaking the rules and should be reported? (It is, after all, a competitive activity, and the Gifts awarded at the end are given out based on personal score.) And if so, wouldn’t it be rather hard to tell? I have legitimately managed to get perfect scores once or twice, and I’d hate to think I’d run the risk of getting reported because some other player thinks I cheated to get it.

in Audio

Posted by: Michael Henninger.7451

Michael Henninger.7451

Game Support Lead

Using a macro to gain an advantage any time there is a reward or game progress involved would not be allowed so; No, macros would not be allowed for use to complete the Bell Choir event.

GM Delicious Intent
Twitter: @ANetCSLead
GM Delicious Intent.5928

in Audio

Posted by: Maxakari.5298

Maxakari.5298

I just found out about the macros to play music and decided to try it, It was confusing at first, but as long as it’s only for Music playing it’s okay right? what if ArenaNet made some kind of system that let you put instrument songs in the game and auto play it from the instrument? I don’t know, Oh and I was at the fire elemental boss and before it started I tried to play a song, but forgot to take my instrument out and my character attacked and he killed a random monster….. I could have easily killed it on my own but….. can I get in trouble for this?

in Audio

Posted by: eugenics.2561

eugenics.2561

slightly related: caerphoto suggested on the GW2 subreddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2nctvb/now_that_arenanet_has_given_the_ok_to_macros_for/cmdg1e6) that people who use macros for the musical instruments have an icon over their head, kind of like you do with the frame drum if you use the premade loops. how do people feel about this? I personally think it’s a great idea and diplomatic solution to the macro/anti-macro argument.

I don’t know if it’s possible to do something like that in real time though

(edited by eugenics.2561)

in Audio

Posted by: Nathanael.4398

Nathanael.4398

This is not possible, the system has always to check which programs are running on your computer and it is not diplomatic.
Even tough i don’t know why people are upset about players with “macros” but we had this kind of discussion in another thread.

in Audio

Posted by: eugenics.2561

eugenics.2561

maybe you’re just misunderstanding the word, but what makes you say it isn’t diplomatic? it seems to me that – if it were possible, which I’m guessing it isn’t – it would finally kill the discussion. seems to me that would be beneficial to everyone

let’s not start discussing why people are for/against macros. it’ll just end with mudslinging again