Problems changing the audio language

in Audio

Posted by: SgtSeriousFace.2340

SgtSeriousFace.2340

Hey folks, wondered if some of you might have the answer to this problem. I have been playing the game for a while now but when I started I noticed they had an option to change the audio language. I am a British player but I thought it would be a laugh to have the audio in Spanish with English subtitles, like I was watching an old school western movie in Mexico or something. Anyway, to my disappointment when I tried changing it in the options menu nothing happened, I haven’t changed it back or anything and the only language I’ve heard since then has been the Queen’s English.

Have I done something wrong? Or is this a bug? Just curious if there is a way to fix it.

in Audio

Posted by: Elwinson.5962

Elwinson.5962

By default, your game only contains sound files for your original language, so switching the voice language in the options will not immediately do anything.

You need to download the VO files for the other language first.

To do this, start the game launcher/patcher, and click the flag in the upper right corner corresponding to the language you want to play in. You will see the message:
“The launcher must restart in order to apply a language change”.
Click Restart.
After you do this, you will see the patcher/launcher with text in the chosen language, and it will begin downloading a bunch of files.
After it is done patching up, you can launch the game normally and switch the game’s text language back to English if you wish. You should now be able to switch between hearing voices in either English or the language that you just downloaded.

I have noticed some weirdness sometimes where I had to start the launcher with a particular language if I wanted to hear that language, and had to restart the game to switch VO language. But I’ve found that text language is always OK without a restart.

in Audio

Posted by: SgtSeriousFace.2340

SgtSeriousFace.2340

Awesome, thanks for the response! I look forward to trying this out.

in Audio

Posted by: Tharassin.8240

Tharassin.8240

I have the same problem as OP – but when I do as suggested the files won’t start downloading :-(

in Audio

Posted by: yeidi.8960

yeidi.8960

I have this same problem. I tried the solution above but now dialogue audio doesn’t even occur. Only the text changed.

in Audio

Posted by: Cody Crichton.7516

Cody Crichton.7516

Sound Designer

Sorry for the confusion in the User Interface. It is and has been misleading, but Guild Wars 2 has no support for Spanish as an audio language, only as text. There are no current plans to add Spanish as an audio language either, and fixing the misleading UI isn’t a simple matter.

French and German are audio languages, however, so changing to those languages and restarting the game client should prompt for downloading the missing language files.