Sylvari Female & guardian "hold the line"

in Audio

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

I have reported those two issues multiple timers over months of patches but it’s still there.
The Sylvari female line when getting burned is “It burns!”, but it’s definitly the voice of the female asura. I’m 100% sure about this and it just doesn’t fit at all with the other lines.

The other thing is the Guardian shout “Hold the line!”, which I never heard. Ever. I reported this months ago and it’s still not there. I tested it will all races, when you activate that skill, nothing happens.

I wouldn’t mind these if they would be short term bugs, but they’ve been around for so long now, it seems unprofessional to me that they haven’t been fixed yet.

in Audio

Posted by: Starscream.6498

Starscream.6498

I think “Hold the line!” was never even recorded (for whatever reason), and isn’t actually a bug. Don’t know about the other one though

in Audio

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

For “Hold the Line!” on my human male guardian, I’m always hearing other phrases instead. I actually heard him say “Hold the Line!” twice, I think, and I’ve used that skill VERY often for the past year or so. I used to keep a list of things he said, but it got too long and crazy. Most of the phrases made little sense in the context of the game. I think if they’re going to add that kind of variety (which is fine, if intended), they really should change the name of the shout to something more general, like ‘Encouraging Phrase.’

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

in Audio

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

Same goes for my female human guardian. Never heard her say “Hold the Line” nor anything else when using the skill.

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

in Audio

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

I asked this almost a year ago and never ever seen a reply from the devs.

All I wanted to know was: Why doesn’t hold the line have audio? Why can’t other players hear our shouts like warrior?

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Audio

Posted by: BobbyStein

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

Next

I have reported those two issues multiple timers over months of patches but it’s still there.
The Sylvari female line when getting burned is “It burns!”, but it’s definitly the voice of the female asura. I’m 100% sure about this and it just doesn’t fit at all with the other lines.

I just confirmed the audio for PC Sylvari Female in our dev tool. The line, “It burns!” was delivered by Jennifer Hale. The PC Asura Female equivalent chatter line is, “Burning! Burning! Burning!” and was recorded by Colleen O’Shaughnessey.

in Audio

Posted by: BobbyStein

Previous

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

Next

The other thing is the Guardian shout “Hold the line!”, which I never heard. Ever. I reported this months ago and it’s still not there. I tested it will all races, when you activate that skill, nothing happens.

This is a bug. We have audio for this skill for all PC variants, but the text of the lines are mismatched on PC Sylvari M/F (“Hold this line!” instead of “Hold the line!”) It may have been unhooked in code due to the mismatch, or perhaps there’s an issue with how the skill is set up to trigger voice, or the chatter throttling is set too aggressively on this. We won’t know for sure until someone investigates it more closely. I opened a bug and sent it to the audio folks for further review.

I wouldn’t mind these if they would be short term bugs, but they’ve been around for so long now, it seems unprofessional to me that they haven’t been fixed yet.

Bugs are prioritized against other open issues for severity. Budgetary considerations, scheduling, dependencies, etc. all factor in to the decisions on what to fix first.

This is a pretty minor issue compared to a lot of the other open bugs in our queue. It’s not affecting game balance, isn’t blocking player progress on events or personal story, isn’t affecting the in-game economy, etc. It’s what I might call a “polish” bug in that fixing it will bring up the quality of the finished game, but it’s existence isn’t preventing anyone from doing anything critical. Because this item potentially requires new voice recordings which will incur additional costs (actor time, studio time, file cutting time, importing, localization, QA, etc.) and it’s not critical to gameplay progression or story, it’s considered a lower priority fix.

We’ll investigate on why the lines aren’t triggering and try to resolve that. As for the line mismatch, that will have to wait until we have those actors back in the booth for additional recording, since scheduling a voice session for two actors specifically to fix these two lines is cost prohibitive (a.k.a. “really expensive and not practical”).

in Audio

Aza.2105

Bobby,

Hold the line audio is bugged for human male and female. I think it might be bugged for all races. One question though……is guardian shouts not being heard by other players a bug too? Or is it intentional?

Windows 10

in Audio

Posted by: Starscream.6498

Starscream.6498

Bobby,

Hold the line audio is bugged for human male and female. I think it might be bugged for all races. One question though……is guardian shouts not being heard by other players a bug too? Or is it intentional?

Don’t hear it on my Charr either, I think it’s same for all races. I am wondering about the second question you presented as well, though.

in Audio

Posted by: Keenan Sieg

Previous

Keenan Sieg

Sound Designer

Bobby,

Don’t hear it on my Charr either, I think it’s same for all races. I am wondering about the second question you presented as well, though.

To reiterate what Bobby was saying, both the female and male sylvari lines were recorded incorrectly, so the decision was made to not include that line for any race until they can be fixed. The second issue concerning Guardian shouts not being audible to other players is something that we’re investigating.

in Audio

Aza.2105

Bobby,

To reiterate what Bobby was saying, both the female and male sylvari lines were recorded incorrectly, so the decision was made to not include that line for any race until they can be fixed. The second issue concerning Guardian shouts not being audible to other players is something that we’re investigating.

Awesome. I’ve been looking for a official answer since launch. Thanks a lot. I really hope both are fixed. Hearing guardian’s shouts will definitely help allies to know what boons they have on them.

Windows 10

in Audio

Posted by: PCanineBrigade.4916

PCanineBrigade.4916

To reiterate what Bobby was saying, both the female and male sylvari lines were recorded incorrectly, so the decision was made to not include that line for any race until they can be fixed.

I vote do not fix. Currently on my male Charrdian, I occasionally hear awesome lines by using HTL, such as “None shall pass!”,“We will not fall!”, “Confound the enemy!” and amusing lines like “Turrets overcharged!” and “Let’s get these supplies.”
I love them. Though, I do (rarely) get “Hold the Line!” even if you say it wasn’t included for any race :P

(edited by PCanineBrigade.4916)

in Audio

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I heard Hold the Line! twice on my male sylvari guardian since launch. It felt really good

in Audio

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

To reiterate what Bobby was saying, both the female and male sylvari lines were recorded incorrectly, so the decision was made to not include that line for any race until they can be fixed.

I vote do not fix. Currently on my male Charrdian, I occasionally hear awesome lines by using HTL, such as “None shall pass!”,“We will not fall!”, “Confound the enemy!” and amusing lines like “Turrets overcharged!” and “Let’s get these supplies.”
I love them. Though, I do (rarely) get “Hold the Line!” even if you say it wasn’t included for any race :P

I agree. I love playing my male human guardian even more knowing at any second he might say something funny and make me and my teammates smile. Best one yet was something about ‘rocket boots’. The lines are awesome and I never want to stop hearing them

in Audio

Posted by: AllNightPlayer.1286

AllNightPlayer.1286

Now, that we hear most guarian shouts (except for buggy humans):
Oh please, PLEASE reactivate the "Hold the line" audio. I don’t give a kitten, if it’s THE or THIS, just give it a sound. I know about the german version the sylvari also say THIS in german rather than THE but I do not care. At least it’s something.
You say, you want to record it correctly sometime, but be honest I do not think this will ever happen.

in Audio

Posted by: AllNightPlayer.1286

AllNightPlayer.1286

Still no plans on reactivating the "Hold the Line" audio? :-(