Work as a sound designer

Work as a sound designer

in Audio

Posted by: Wedoh.7689

Wedoh.7689

Hi,

My big dream is to work as a sound designer at a great company like Arenanet one day. So i cant help wondering, how is it to work as a sound designer at Arenanet? What do you guys do an ordinary day? What do you look for in aspiring engineers and sound designers?

I truly like your work on Guild wars 1 and 2, the sound design is superb.
You guys have succeeded to not only create great quality sounds but also sounds that add to the experience and enhance the visual in a way that really make me feel im part of the world.

Kind regards
Johan from Sweden

Work as a sound designer

in Audio

Posted by: Cody Crichton.7516

Cody Crichton.7516

Sound Designer

Hi there Johan. Name’s Cody, I’m a sound designer here at ANET. I’m glad you’ve got the big dream to work at a sound designer, and that’s exactly what started me on the path to audio department and working here for Guild Wars 2.

How is it to work here? Well, it’s wonderful to have the creative freedom to do my best to enhance the game through sound design and implementation. Speaking for myself, on an ordinary day I’m either designing and integrating new content for the game, planning for the future, enhancing existing game content or working closely with my team and with our awesome audio QA (Keenan) on how best to achieve our design goals.

Unfortunately, I’m still rather new to the team, and thus I’ve never been in a position to hire or make any decisions in the hiring process, so I’d have to leave it to someone else on the team to chime in on what they’re looking for when they’ve expanded our team.

Personally, when I was in school for audio, I was interested in rounding out my base knowledge of digital audio: signal flow, sound reinforcement, recording techniques, acoustics, analogue to digital conversion, working in a DAW, DSP and side-chaining, mixing, editing audio tracks, mastering. It’s been invaluable to me having an understanding of these things as a foundation.

The part I couldn’t learn in school was the problem of taking audio assets and getting them into the game. Doing so has got to be different everywhere you look, so not only can I not get into it, but it might not do you any good anyway.

What got me working here as a sound designer wasn’t necessarily my background alone—I actually started out as quality assurance here. Being familiar with testing, and getting in there and digging up and filing solid audio bugs was what finally led me where I am. So if nothing else opens up for you, that might yet be a viable option for you to realize your big dream!

Thanks for writing in and showing your interest, Johan!

Work as a sound designer

in Audio

Posted by: Yoh.8469

Yoh.8469

For all the issues I have with the game, the sound design is not one of them.
It works well and gets the job done.

Work as a sound designer

in Audio

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

Thanks for the insight Cody!

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

Work as a sound designer

in Audio

Posted by: Wedoh.7689

Wedoh.7689

Hi there Johan. Name’s Cody, I’m a sound designer here at ANET. I’m glad you’ve got the big dream to work at a sound designer, and that’s exactly what started me on the path to audio department and working here for Guild Wars 2.

How is it to work here? Well, it’s wonderful to have the creative freedom to do my best to enhance the game through sound design and implementation. Speaking for myself, on an ordinary day I’m either designing and integrating new content for the game, planning for the future, enhancing existing game content or working closely with my team and with our awesome audio QA (Keenan) on how best to achieve our design goals.

Unfortunately, I’m still rather new to the team, and thus I’ve never been in a position to hire or make any decisions in the hiring process, so I’d have to leave it to someone else on the team to chime in on what they’re looking for when they’ve expanded our team.

Personally, when I was in school for audio, I was interested in rounding out my base knowledge of digital audio: signal flow, sound reinforcement, recording techniques, acoustics, analogue to digital conversion, working in a DAW, DSP and side-chaining, mixing, editing audio tracks, mastering. It’s been invaluable to me having an understanding of these things as a foundation.

The part I couldn’t learn in school was the problem of taking audio assets and getting them into the game. Doing so has got to be different everywhere you look, so not only can I not get into it, but it might not do you any good anyway.

What got me working here as a sound designer wasn’t necessarily my background alone—I actually started out as quality assurance here. Being familiar with testing, and getting in there and digging up and filing solid audio bugs was what finally led me where I am. So if nothing else opens up for you, that might yet be a viable option for you to realize your big dream!

Thanks for writing in and showing your interest, Johan!

Thank you so much Cody for your answer, it means a lot to me.
I will keep your advice’s in mind on my way towards my goal.
The local gaming companies open up QA positions from time to time and i think it sounds like a great way to start, i will surely keep my eyes open for new Sound QA openings.

Its so great that you guys at Arenanet stay so close to your fanbase. You really listen to your audience and keep them involved in the development of this great game. And its awesome that you guys take the time to answer questions on the forum and having open discussions with live audiences.
Its easy to notice that the people at Arenanet are really engaged in developing this game, and that you guys love what you do for real.

Kind regards
Johan

Work as a sound designer

in Audio

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

From working firsthand with a hobby sound designer, I could definitely appreciate all the hard work which goes into creation.

Things like spinning a flaming wheel to record the Elementalist’s sounds are just one of many lengths a sound designer goes through for his art.

My appreciation for the sound team is genuine, because my first legendary was Predator, and that is the one legendary defined by its sound. I would like to praise the entire sound team for their hard work. PEW! PEW! PEW!

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)