30 trait points for a functioning projectile

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Really? Our Marksman Grandmaster is basically to allow rangers to hit targets with the reliability of warrior and engineer rifles or thief pistols?

The kitten arrows don’t even hit a sidestepping target beyond 600+ range. The velocity should be increased baseline.

It’s incredible that for 1.5 years, Rangers have been telling you that they suffer because all their traits/utilities/weapons need heavy point investment to even function, and you go ahead and waste a grandmaster trait slot on a fix that should be baked into the weapon instead of paid for.

RANGER WEAPONS AND UTILITIES SHOULD FUNCTION WITHOUT TRAIT INVESTMENT, LET ALONE 30 TRAIT POINTS.

Moreover, the power line grandmaster only covers the longbow, when bows are not used to begin with in most game formats?

Bows are of little worth in PvE, where melee weapons will always be favored over ranged ones. And in PvP bows are at a disadvantage because of their crappy defensive capabilities.

And the longbow and shortbow not only have a failure in hitting moving targets beyond 600+ range, but unlike the engineer rifle the arrows don’t even pierce baseline, which they should.

Rangers lack immensely in the aoe department. It’s that plus utility and their low innate base weapon damage and power scaling that has made them undesirable for any group content, especially WvW.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: raubvogel.5071

raubvogel.5071

Rangers need bounce on there bows. And traits placed right.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

What is really disturbing is that it’s a 30pt trait that is really only going to have any measurable improvement on a single skill on one weapon.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Would make more sense for the trait to make arrow have a chance to be unblockable :\

NSPride <3

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rexx.1805

Rexx.1805

+1

Major Ranger Problem:

Other classes have GOOD weapons & GOOD utility skills that can be traited to become BETTER.
Ranger has BAD weapons & BAD utility’s that MUST be traited to be USABLE!

Nonsense…

Proud Member Of:

Guild – Heróis Lusitanos [LS] Server – SFR

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Vash Past.4385

Vash Past.4385

I don’t play ranger, but I do play staff ele. Hitting with my auto attacks is rough, I feel your pain guys. =(

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Monoman.2068

Monoman.2068

This is going to turn into a similar case with blood thirst on necromancers. These will be the last real LB changes for a long time.

Laviere – Hybrid Wellomancer
Makonne – Hybrid Regen Ranger

(edited by Monoman.2068)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Any buff/buff option is good.

BUT

I agree, the fact that ranger needs huge trait investment in anything to make it functional is stupid…

Ranger//Necro

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

The only thing I really wait from the patch is pet responsiveness fix… For the rest (ranger-wise), I don’t even expect real good surprise…
:sad:

(nota: all keep in mind that they had no time to consider ranger CDI in that patch… pretty much everything have sure been in devs test servers for some time, surely… they won’t mess with it, even if they had time, to incorporate ranger CDI ideas)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

I agree that this trait is stupid, but at the same time you can’t say ranger is the only one that suffers from this. The ranged attacks on guardian are all slow as kitten. You can NEVER believe that a guardian projectile is going to hit its mark.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

The only thing I really wait from the patch is pet responsiveness fix… For the rest (ranger-wise), I don’t even expect real good surprise…

(nota: all keep in mind that they had no time to consider ranger CDI in that patch… pretty much everything have sure been in devs test servers for some time, surely… they won’t mess with it, even if they had time, to incorporate ranger CDI ideas)

they said they were gonna fix Sword AA too. They werent sure it would make it to this patch (i think it was this patch they meant), but if dodging during sword AA, Pet F2 and LB hit rate is upped. Then atleast for power builds, rangers will be in a much better spot.

Working pet would be a quantum leap in terms of “viability” across all modes and builds.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Profession Balance

Jocksy.3415

they said they were gonna fix Sword AA too. They werent sure it would make it to this patch (i think it was this patch they meant), but if dodging during sword AA, Pet F2 and LB hit rate is upped. Then atleast for power builds, rangers will be in a much better spot.

Working pet would be a quantum leap in terms of “viability” across all modes and builds.

Not putting my hopes on unnanounced fixes :p
I can only guess that if they made a pass for the pet, they also could make one for the sword (since it’s also a game-client communication issue)… but I don’t believe it’ll make it yet… they have to keep a greatly demanded change in each patch, to show rangers are not too left out

I’m used to the sword anyway… not a big deal (unless they break the jump by fixing the animation lock)… though it getting repaired would be one of those “nice surprise” I’m not really expecting

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Don’t hold your breath. For all we know this will be the new GM Skirmishing trait.

“Master of Roots – You will no longer get rooted when using a sword”

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Profession Balance

Jocksy.3415

Don’t hold your breath. For all we know this will be the new GM Skirmishing trait.

“Master of Roots – You will no longer get rooted when using a sword”

sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssT
don’t give them ideas!
:lol:

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

You’l get 5 new grandmaster. One for each tree

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

Would probably be worth it as an adept trait, but I don’t see it being a good grandmaster.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Monoman.2068

Monoman.2068

I agree that this trait is stupid, but at the same time you can’t say ranger is the only one that suffers from this. The ranged attacks on guardian are all slow as kitten. You can NEVER believe that a guardian projectile is going to hit its mark.

Either does anet apparently since scepter 1 isn’t even a projectile finisher.

Laviere – Hybrid Wellomancer
Makonne – Hybrid Regen Ranger

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

I can only guess that if they made a pass for the pet, they also could make one for the sword (since it’s also a game-client communication issue)… but I don’t believe it’ll make it yet… they have to keep a greatly demanded change in each patch, to show rangers are not too left out

I’m used to the sword anyway… not a big deal (unless they break the jump by fixing the animation lock)… though it getting repaired would be one of those “nice surprise” I’m not really expecting

These fixes were announced, on these forums and in Ready UP podcasts. All posts were made by dev’s or game designers. So these fixes is, if nothing else, being worked on.
F2 is a certain one, i just hope it arrives sooner and not later (next balance patch prolly wont hit before christmas :| )

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I agree that the projectile speed from bows in this game is a bit of a joke.

Arrows in real-life are actually pretty kitten fast, often faster than you can see with your eyes.

And yet GW2 simulates them as if they were thrown by hand.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

I agree that the projectile speed from bows in this game is a bit of a joke.

Arrows in real-life are actually pretty kitten fast, often faster than you can see with your eyes.

And yet GW2 simulates them as if they were thrown by hand.

Conjured fireballs are faster in real-life as well, and I can’t just walk through manifested magical shields in real-life like I can in GW2.

At least they got the part right where I can stand and get cut up by a greatsword 8-9 times in quick succession and walk away only moderately hurt.

But more seriously, maybe a slower projectile speed is intentional to allow a savvy enemy player to juke back and forth to avoid a steady barrage of attacks. Perhaps attacks like Guardian Scepter aren’t supposed to be consistent damage at max range for whatever reason.

You don’t have to think that’s the right decision, but it’s nice to be able to take advantage of nuances like that in the game.

I don’t actually think this GM trait for Rangers will be worth its salt, but I would be highly amused if someone did come out with it as an important piece in some sort of build because of some subtlety that enabled a certain style of play.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Did any of the 3324 posts in the CDI suggest this change?

This is a joke. A merged Eagle Eye, Piercing Arrows, and Quickdraw would be worth a grandmaster trait…for both bows. Not this crap.

Man it is so freaking frustrating…every single patch…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Joke traits for the joke classes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an MMO with class bias this obvious.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Joke traits for the joke classes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an MMO with class bias this obvious.

It’s never a joke when you run into a condi-evasion Ranger who knows what he’s doing.

And even if this Trait isn’t stellar, it isn’t the only GM trait Rangers are getting, and the trait re-organization and set of balance changes are also being ignored.

But I guess once bitter, always bitter.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Tetsuyja.7805

Tetsuyja.7805

anet will redesign the ranger, so stay calm and enjoy the new traits.

everybody thinks that GM traits have to be OP (because they are GM) and that’s the reason why everybody cries about the new GM traits.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

It’s never a joke when you run into a condi-evasion Ranger who knows what he’s doing.

And even if this Trait isn’t stellar, it isn’t the only GM trait Rangers are getting, and the trait re-organization and set of balance changes are also being ignored.

Exactly this. People are letting emotion take over instead of common sense, and aren’t considering that there is alot of other things being reworked in this patch.

I don’t understand how the Longbow suddenly stopped being viable overnight just because of this trait? Then again, to some people the longbow will never be viable unless it deals more damage than any other ranged weapon in the game, because, Longbow, and Ranger, and because,…shut up! I said so!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I guess people didn’t think about the fact these traits were in development before the Ranger CDI even started, so nothing covered in there will be in this patch unless the devs were already doing it beforehand.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Profession Balance

Jocksy.3415

These fixes were announced, on these forums and in Ready UP podcasts. All posts were made by dev’s or game designers. So these fixes is, if nothing else, being worked on.
F2 is a certain one, i just hope it arrives sooner and not later (next balance patch prolly wont hit before christmas :| )

Didn,t made myself clear, apparently… unannounced as in “no date given”, as in “we are working on it, but no results, yet”, as in “we are getting somewhere, but are not yet there”…
So, not hoping for it unless I read a dev post stating “we finally worked it out for you guys!”

Exactly this. People are letting emotion take over instead of common sense, and aren’t considering that there is alot of other things being reworked in this patch.

I don’t understand how the Longbow suddenly stopped being viable overnight just because of this trait? Then again, to some people the longbow will never be viable unless it deals more damage than any other ranged weapon in the game, because, Longbow, and Ranger, and because,…shut up! I said so!

People (mostly PvPers) have been complaining about how easy it was to just press A or D avoid LB arrows for quite some time, now… They were not as vocal as the “fix sword” community, but they’ve been there for a long time nonetheless.
Of all the possible fixes, this is the worst I can think about…

(Side note: isn’t guardians staff and scepter throwing tracking projectiles (which is why they miss less)? Always had that impression… )

in Profession Balance

Posted by: gawker.8340

gawker.8340

Ranger shoots engineer with fast arrows. Gets killed by reflect.

Ranger can’t shoot thief because you need a target to shoot. Gets killed by cheese.

Ranger shoots warrior with fast arrows. Gets killed faster by warrior.

Ranger shoots necromancer with fast arrows. Does nothing because ultra-tank.

Ranger shoots mesmer with fast arrows. Gets locked down and killed.

Thank you Anet.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

But I guess ALWAYS bitter, always bitter.

Fixed that for you.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Grimreaper.5370

Grimreaper.5370

First off these are not all the changes… Second off you have no idea how effective that might actually make rangers as of yet, on paper it might sound meh.. At least wait to QQ until you test it.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Berk.8561

Berk.8561

Swell, now I need to choose which three of these trains I can’t take from the Marksmanship tree if I want to play an effective longbow Ranger (yes, I know that’s an oxymoron):

Spotter
Piercing Arrows
Eagle Eye
Read the Wind
Signet of the Beastmaster (not archery-related, but essential if you want to use sigils)

The only way they could make this worse is to move Quickdraw under Marksmanship, too. (Yes, making me chose between Signet of the Beastmaster & Read the Wind is a legitimate trade-off choice but that still leaves two bow-related traits I can’t take — I get the message, build a trap melee ranger instead of a bow ranger).

Kerzic [CoI] – Ranger – Eredon Terrace

(edited by Berk.8561)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

anet will redesign the ranger, so stay calm and enjoy the new traits.

everybody thinks that GM traits have to be OP (because they are GM) and that’s the reason why everybody cries about the new GM traits.

I remember over a year ago when people were saying the same things. “Don’t worry! They said next patch is the ranger patch”. Oh how naive we were!

The GM traits don’t have to be OP but they certainly need to be better than adept traits. If you can’t justify putting 30pts into a skill line just for the GM trait then it doesn’t belong as a GM trait.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Still no piercing and quick draw merge I see.

Yeah, that’ll be overpowered cuz no other class has that right?…let’s have 4 traits for a single weapon instead which you can’t even select them all. Wut?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Really? How can you tell?

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Seems pretty unlikely that they would waste a GM slot on “faster arrows” but condense other longbow traits.

anet will redesign the ranger,

Someone hasn’t been reading the CDI…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

in Profession Balance

Berk.8561

The presence of Piercing Arrows as a distinct trait in the screen shot in the announcements seems like a pretty strong clue, does it not?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I have never died to a longbow ranger. I sPvP every single day (admitedly very few people play longbow rangers) and the longbow ranger is just bad. They try to do what a grenade engineer does (sit at some difficult to reach location and reign down fire on the enemy) but grenades are very easy to hit with (especially in capture the point map) and every freaking attack is an AoE, longbow rangers have barrage then they are down to sub par DPS on a single target (and they invested a tonne of traits to do this). Also worth noting is the longbow ranger takes a DPS hit to have a pet but standing on a ledge out of the fight and reigning down fire often means the pet doesn’t have a path to your target (and thus is dead weight) or your pet has a long path to your target and will takes its time and swapping it out is a big DPS loss.

Swell, now I need to choose which three of these trains I can’t take from the Marksmanship tree if I want to play an effective longbow Ranger (yes, I know that’s an oxymoron):

Spotter
Piercing Arrows
Eagle Eye
Read the Wind
Signet of the Beastmaster (not archery-related, but essential if you want to use sigils)

The only way they could make this worse is to move Quickdraw under Marksmanship, too. (Yes, making me chose between Signet of the Beastmaster & Read the Wind is a legitimate trade-off choice but that still leaves two bow-related traits I can’t take — I get the message, build a trap melee ranger instead of a bow ranger).

This sums up the situation quite well. So many traits that do very minor things (some of them shouldn’t even be traits but basic functionality of the weapons – faster arrows, piercing arrows) and collectively they are pretty ordinary.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DiamondMeteor.8345

DiamondMeteor.8345

April fools.

If it’s not, well then I give up.

Ranger / Revenant – Crystal Desert

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Did any of the 3324 posts in the CDI suggest this change?

This is a joke. A merged Eagle Eye, Piercing Arrows, and Quickdraw would be worth a grandmaster trait…for both bows. Not this crap.

Man it is so freaking frustrating…every single patch…

I did, except I stated for it to be included by default, as would be remorseless and signets of the beastmaster after implementing additional replacement traits which would increase viability everywhere and make power/precision longbow work.

Looks like all they did was notice the phrase “faster arrows” and thought it would be a good idea to make it a GM trait because why not?!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Spotter
Piercing Arrows
Eagle Eye
Read the Wind

Correction, you can only take two of those. The good stuff starts at master and above

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

Wait and see. It wouldn’t be the first time that a blog description did not fully convey what a skill did. This might be a lot better than you think. Furthermore, it is 1 of 5.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Really? Our Marksman Grandmaster is basically to allow rangers to hit targets with the reliability of warrior and engineer rifles or thief pistols?

The kitten arrows don’t even hit a sidestepping target beyond 600+ range. The velocity should be increased baseline.

It’s incredible that for 1.5 years, Rangers have been telling you that they suffer because all their traits/utilities/weapons need heavy point investment to even function, and you go ahead and waste a grandmaster trait slot on a fix that should be baked into the weapon instead of paid for.

RANGER WEAPONS AND UTILITIES SHOULD FUNCTION WITHOUT TRAIT INVESTMENT, LET ALONE 30 TRAIT POINTS.

Moreover, the power line grandmaster only covers the longbow, when bows are not used to begin with in most game formats?

Bows are of little worth in PvE, where melee weapons will always be favored over ranged ones. And in PvP bows are at a disadvantage because of their crappy defensive capabilities.

And the longbow and shortbow not only have a failure in hitting moving targets beyond 600+ range, but unlike the engineer rifle the arrows don’t even pierce baseline, which they should.

Rangers lack immensely in the aoe department. It’s that plus utility and their low innate base weapon damage and power scaling that has made them undesirable for any group content, especially WvW.

100% agree. Arrows fly faster than axes. Fix the profession without making us use a grandmaster to have what should work already.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Wait and see. It wouldn’t be the first time that a blog description did not fully convey what a skill did. This might be a lot better than you think. Furthermore, it is 1 of 5.

Too sensible and logical. You’re type not welcome around here !

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

don’t know if LB auto/skill base cast time will be lowered/damage will be increased…..2x travel speed could end up being nice. that said…not an exciting reveal without knowing the whole landscape of ranger changes……….if that’s the best they got, i can see some even greater QQing than usual.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Profession Balance

Posted by: sorrow.2364

sorrow.2364

I’ll leave here my humble opinion about the matter.
Longbow has insane range.
It would be silly to give Rangers the ability to hit as reliably from 1500 range as much as 400 range. It happens with grenades too, where the longer is the range you’re firing them from, the less reliable they are.

That trait, assuming double the flying speed of arrows is the only effect of it, is an hugely effective trait that will, for sure, be a good alternative to other marksmanship traits. I remember back in GW1 how RtW helped non-recurve bow rangers to fight their arrow reliably and that was HUGE.

You are pretty much wiping away the only disadvantage of firing arrows from long range, which is far from being underwhelming or bad.
Just wait to test it ingame.

Also, it makes sense that it is a grandmaster trait, it is a build defining trait.
When you have this trait, I see the ranger taking the fights from 1000+ units away and still dealing massive amounts of damage reliably. Still, rangers have enough tools to create gaps between you and the targets, meaning that you can easily build berserker and still be safe from the fight with LB.

My personal speculation is that LB rangers will be way more popular after the feature patch hits.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

This trait won’t be worth whatever they are throwing at us to unlock it. If you truly want a dps build you should NEVER take this trait if it’s implemented the way it’s described.

I don’t know many rangers who carry a longbow in sPvP, but suppose they did, what exactly is it going to offer over a sword/WH combo? How will it be better than the SB which actually has utility?

Then there is WvW… there is so much flash and flare going on in the general fights your enemies won’t see your arrows coming anyway, thus won’t be side stepping. Mine never get side stepped and I couldn’t be more obvious when shooting. As much as I want to like any trait they give us, this one they announced makes no sense. If they put it in the skirmishing trait line.. THEN I think we may have a use for it.

Now suppose if they made your pet somehow interact with this trait either by increasing it’s own attack speed or giving it the ability to leech life, then it might be worth a look.

Even if they implemented something similar to what the elementalist has. The Ele can stack might just by casting fire spells. Soooo why can’t we have a trait that stacks might every time we strike with the LB? Considering we are already at a loss in dps because of our pet; wouldn’t it be fitting to recover some of the dps loss through stacking might? I think this would look much better in the Marksmanship trait line considering it’s a power based.

I don’t really see how anyone can consider that OP. Then again.. people seem to think giving the Ranger full functionality of their pet and actually having it pull it’s supposed 40% dps consistently completely OP..

(edited by DeadlySynz.3471)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

In GW1 you had 4 types of bows.

The flatbow allowed the longest reach and one of the shortest fire rate, but on the other hand you shot your arrows in an arc.

In pvp any smart opponent would straf dodge a ranger using flatbow. This is where you could bring RTW which was a 24s preparation which made your arrows fly twice as fast and in the case of the flatbow, in a straight line instead of an arc (at first it also gave added damage but that got removed in pvp).

Since there were other favored preparation (mainly apply poison) and only one could be used at a time, you had to make a choice.

> Long range with fast fire rate and condition pressure but poor accuracy
> Long range with fast fire rate and great accuracy (good for interrupts) but no poison pressure

Making choices

Something that tends to be forgotten in this game where everyone complains soon as they notice they can’t have everything, and leads to broken designs like the current warrior.

If anything, bring more crucial choices like the longbow’s pros and cons into the game, instead of “fixing it” so it makes everything better than other weapons sets.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Attachments:

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Mind you, the current projectile speed is ~25% higher than it was at release, for all bows.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Profession Balance

Berk.8561

Longbow has insane range.
It would be silly to give Rangers the ability to hit as reliably from 1500 range as much as 400 range.

It has a 1500 range if you take another trait in the same Marksmanship line, which then means you aren’t taking Spotter, Piercing Arrows (one of the only chances rangers get for AoE against clusters of opponents), or Signet of the Beastmaster (which allow signet effects to work on the Ranger as well as their pet). Right now, I’m doing without Eagle Eye (which gives the 1500 range) because I think Piercing Arrows is more useful, so I’m not getting that “insane range” unless I want to be limited to one target per hit or give up being able to get active signet benefits for my character, and that’s without adding Read the Wind to the mix.