A non-reveal/non-nerf way to help vs stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

tl;dr below

A stealth inexperienced player friendly change would be to have some kind of ‘Hit?!’ indicator popup over the caster/attackers head if they only hit stealthed enemies with skill 1. It’s effectively the same thing as noticing your auto attack chain trigger except 2 major differences. 1) It’s presented in a more noticeable way, and 2) it would let skills not in a chain indicate a hit as well. Though I would like to see this still limited to skill 1 of any weapon set, except for kits (because bomb kit and grenade kit are aleady super forgiving vs stealth).

If such a change was implemented, it’d be important to hide the amount of damage done, as well as have the UI pop be in a static location, not over the head of the stealthed enemy that was attacked. To add more counterplay, the ‘Hit?!’ could be implemented so that it only triggered when you hit only stealthed enemies, so that it’s hidden if you cleave a stealthed and non-stealthed enemy. This gives stealthed players an option to take a cleave hit without the enemy knowing they did so. For example a mesmer eating it with one of their illusions, or a thief eating a hit with a rockdog. For more counterplay options it’d be nice not to show the hit indicator when a hit connects vs a block or invulnerability.

There are two other changes that make sense to do that have nothing to do with stealth.

1) Implement a config option to fire projectiles parallel to the ground when the camera is between certain angles, if we’re measuring angles perpendicular to level ground and 0 degrees is straight down while 180 degrees is straight up, then it would make sense that between angles 30ish degrees and 95ish degrees that projectiles be fired forward parallel to the ground. Again, as config option in the menu settings, please.

2) Add some kind of non-target way to deal the damage for skills that require a target, specifically skills Flame Strike, Arc Lightning, Blood Curse Chain, and Spatial Surge. As a random example, for spatial surge when it’s targeted it behaves as is, but when it’s not targeted it applies the shortest range damage to a small area in front of or around the player. Spatial Surge and Arc Lightning obviously do multiple hits, so maybe it would make sense in this kind of rework to reduce those hits to a single or couple hits. Devs choice obviously.

This is a straight buff to lessening the amount of awareness being required to fight against stealth, as well as a straight buff to any weapon skill 1 that wasn’t an attack chain. Tracking with skill 1 is important enough, that I feel this is a fair solution, since not all weapons have it.

tl;dr
I know from experience stealth isn’t noob friendly to fight against, so making all weapon slot 1 skills (except kits) trigger a ‘Hit?!’ indicator as a way to help track stealth similarly to any auto attack chain seems super fair to me. It also doesn’t require a nerf to the stealth mechanic.

I feel like not being able to track stealthed players with skill 1 is a legimate complaint, and should be available on every mainhand weapon. These are just some potential implementations I’ve thought of that don’t involve more revealed, and don’t inolve nerfing stealth, and don’t involve making the stealthed players exact location known. I’m sure you devs could refine this.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Sigil of fire…

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Sigil of fire…

..gives a blasting fire animation on critical if you land a hit, if you catch them between the 5s internal cd. Sigil of air probably does the same with a lightning bolt every 3 seconds.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

YES! A GOOD ANTI-STEALTH IDEA!

you get my +1

Attachments:

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MarauderShields.6830

MarauderShields.6830

I generally frown upon dumbing down concepts but this could actually work and be nice training wheels for newbies. As long as evades are still unnoticed and I can switch it off (UI is full enough for me), I support this.

Former running-really-fast-man. Now proud member of Revenant clan.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Paulo.8459

Paulo.8459

Finally a well thought-out proposal to the stealth mechanic. We need more posts like this
+1 from me

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Salocin.2783

Salocin.2783

This isn’t bad. +1

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

This idea sounds good to me.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

Just wanna bump this idea up, for it got all positive responses and thus should stay on top for the devs to see

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Thanks for the positive response, they’re pleasantly surprising.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Decent ideas but idk it’s already pretty easy to wreck thief’s with the current system.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

The information is already available but very difficult to access (#1 skill changeover, random garbage in that combat-log tab everyone keeps disabled). I see no reason not to make it easier to access. Because fighting against your own UI is stupid, and stealth already inflicts way too much of that on opponents.

So, yes, I agree that this would be a reasonable change.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com