[Balance] [PvX] [All Professions] [Thief]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Shinobi.3240

Shinobi.3240

1. About all Professions:

1.1 Autoattacks:

Please get rid of damaging condition application through autoattacks.
No burning, bleed or poison on autoattack. Put them on Cooldown based skills.

Autoattack should provide some control like cripple, chill or weakness + vulnerability as a ramp up for your strong cooldown based abilitys.

Bleeds, burning and poison through traits, sigils and runes only trigger from cooldown based skills.

1.2. Area of Effect Abilitys:

Reduce the radius of this abilities on weapon skills. Make it harder to aim with them. Especially on small nodes there is not really a counter. You have to eat them if you want to keep the point contested.

Keep the bigger radius on utility slot skills. They should be stronger than normal weapons skills.

1.3. Immobilize:

Please revert the change to this skill.
It was better when it wasn´t stackable.
Immobilize ist too strong in it current state.

1.4 5 % /10 % Damage traits:

Please remove them or change them to give stacks of might on you or vulnerability on your opponent. Condition damage based classes would profit from this because might increases the damage dealt through conditions aswell.

For example:

Old: You have a trait that gives you +10% dmg when your target has a damaging condition on them.

New: You gain 5 stacks of might for 1o seconds if you put a damaging condition on your target. 15 seconds cooldown. (You can keep it permanent if you invest in + boon duration)

I hope you understand what i try to achieve: Counterplay … your opponent has options to counter your increased dmg. He can rip off your boons, convert them into conditions or use a defensive cooldown to increase his defense.

1.5 Cooldown reduction:

Merge them and put them into different traitlines for a 20 point investment.

-20% CD on Melee Weapons, – 20% CD on Ranged Weapons (for Thief this would mean a increased initiative regeneration if you are wielding the right weapons)

- 20% CD on Utilitys Skills; -20% CD on Healing Skills, – 20% CD on Elite Skills;

1.6 Critical procs:

Change them to normal hit procs and decrease the proc chance.
Opens up a lot of options for non crit builds.

2. About Thief:

2.1 Iniative

Same initiative regeneration for all builds. Only increased by the cooldown reduction trait.
So it´s easier for the developers to calculate what a thief can do in a given timeframe compared to other classes.

2.2 Evades

Thiefs defense is a tricky part, if you go for stealth based combat your survivability is okay.
If you want to stay visible and contest points etc. you have to abuse evades so you don´t get downed in a second.
One way that could work is:
Change Flanking Strike to give protection on the first strike and steal a boon on the second part. Would fit with the design that conditions are a strong counter against thiefs, we wouldn´t be downed so fast by direct damage and it would lessen the frustration from other players that we can´t get hit 3 out of 5 times.

That´s all for now! Thx for reading!

Best Regards! Shinobi

Additions:

• Block only prevents damage from the front.
  • Blocked stealth attacks reveal the attacker.
  • Channeled evade attacks like Pistol Whip and Blurred Frenzy only prevent damage from the front. Blurred Frenzy doesn´t auto face anymore.
Shinobi Sicarius [ Thief / Lvl: 80 / PvP Rank: 250+]
[5/8 Champion Titles – Legendary Division] [19k+ AP]
[BEER – Dungeon Riders – Desolation]

(edited by Shinobi.3240)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: yski.7642

yski.7642

Removing damaging conditions from auto attacks would make them completely useless to condition builds. How could that possibly be a good idea?

Learn the ways of the mighty Deathleaf: http://www.youtube.com/user/YskiTheBanshee

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Arkantos.7460

Arkantos.7460

very interesting notes,
but plz explain burning on autoattack, never seen this
also my respect for going separating stealth and give a favourable opinion to stealthless thiefs

Good Thiefs are average,
Skilled Thiefs are dangerous

in Profession Balance

Shinobi.3240

Removing damaging conditions from auto attacks would make them completely useless to condition builds. How could that possibly be a good idea?

I think they are not useless … they are just to strong right now.

I forgot to say that direct dmg gets shifted aswell … away from AA to cool down based skills.

As i said they should be a ramp up for your cooldown based skills.

Add the damaging conditions to cool down based skills.

I don´t want to take away damage from condition specs but i want to shift the dmg to cd skills so they get their dmg when they actually hit with those spells.

To successfully autoattack still awards you with non damaging conditions on your target or boons for yourself … but to land with your cd based skills gives you the bigger reward.

Autoattacks could grant might stacks so condition professions could profit from that.

I hope i could explain that. So not only condi on AA gets a hit of the nerfbat .. Direct Damage aswell.

Btw: Nice videos you got there^^

in Profession Balance

Shinobi.3240

very interesting notes,
also my respect for going separating stealth and give a favourable opinion to stealthless thiefs

I was away from the game for a while (6 weeks in Thailand .. jihaa) so i don´t know if they are still up to date:

There are more i guess .. but not sure …

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Burning_Precision
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dhuumfire
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Incendiary_Powder

Another Change to Thief i would like to see .. if a stealth attack is blocked you get revealed.

Best regards!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

Give me immobilize on auto attack and they wish they didnt make this suggestion to remove bleeds/poison from aa.

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in Profession Balance

Shinobi.3240

Give me immobilize on auto attack and they wish they didnt make this suggestion to remove bleeds/poison from aa.

Dream on!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: meikodesign.6471

meikodesign.6471

Please remove them or change them to give stacks of might on you or vulnerability on your opponent. Condition damage based classes would profit from this because might increases the damage dealt through conditions aswell.

For example:

Old: You have a trait that gives you +10% dmg when your target has a damaging condition on them.

New: You gain 5 stacks of might for 1o seconds if you put a damaging condition on your target. 15 seconds cooldown. (You can keep it permanent if you invest in + boon duration)

I hope you understand what i try to achieve: Counterplay … your opponent has options to counter your increased dmg. He can rip off your boons, convert them into conditions or use a defensive cooldown to increase his defense.

1.5 Cooldown reduction:

-20% CD on Melee Weapons, – 20% CD on Ranged Weapons (for Thief this would mean a increased initiative regeneration if you are wielding the right weapons)

- 20% CD on Utilitys Skills; -20% CD on Healing Skills, – 20% CD on Elite Skills;

1.6 Critical procs:

2. About Thief:

2.1 Iniative

Same initiative regeneration for all builds. Only increased by the cooldown reduction trait.
So it´s easier for the developers to calculate what a thief can do in a given timeframe compared to other classes.

Agree with these parts

Lunavi – Ranger 80 ~ Charr Kuttery – Warrior 80
Little Lunavi – Ranger – Rank 4x
[CPC] Insert Coin – Vizunah Square [FR]

in Profession Balance

Shinobi.3240

For example:

1.5 Cooldown reduction:

1.6 Critical procs:

2. About Thief:

2.1 Iniative

Agree with these parts

Thank you!
If i am allowed to ask, what about the other points i made?
Would you leave them as they are now? And why?
What i am interested in is how the community thinks about the application of damaging condition through AA.
I am not a huge fan of how they act now …

e.g.

You have poison on your autoattack.
Enemy is low on health … tries to heal … you just need to autoattack to decrease his healing.

You have a short duration poison on your Cooldown based skills.
Enemy is low on health … tries to heal … you kept your poison ability for this moment and apply it at the right time.

You get awarded by not spamming all of your skills as soon as they are off cooldown.

Poison should act like a soft version of an heal interrupt … spam it randomly … minor or no effect at all …. use it at the right time … huge impact.

Best regards!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: meikodesign.6471

meikodesign.6471

Thank you!
If i am allowed to ask, what about the other points i made?
Would you leave them as they are now? And why?
What i am interested in is how the community thinks about the application of damaging condition through AA.
I am not a huge fan of how they act now …

e.g.

You have poison on your autoattack.
Enemy is low on health … tries to heal … you just need to autoattack to decrease his healing.

You have a short duration poison on your Cooldown based skills.
Enemy is low on health … tries to heal … you kept your poison ability for this moment and apply it at the right time.

You get awarded by not spamming all of your skills as soon as they are off cooldown.

Poison should act like a soft version of an heal interrupt … spam it randomly … minor or no effect at all …. use it at the right time … huge impact.

Best regards!

About the all Professsions part, I agree with the points 1.4, 1.5 because is cleary a step towards classes balance.
1.1 Autoattacks : I don’t think AA should be a damage build speciality. In the opposite, I think every class should have at least one weapon with a damaging condition application:l
=> Add a damaging condition on Guardian’s Sword or Mace
=> Change Ranger’s SB to apply bleed from every angle

Btw, there’s only one weapon with Poison on its AA and it’s on the 3rd parts of it’s chain.

1.2. Area of Effect Abilitys : Yes, there’s something to do with AOE but the reduction of the radius shouldn’t systematic. I think a good compromise should be found between the radius, the cd and the efficiency (damage and effects)

1.3. Immobilize : Before it was nearly useless now is too strong… maybe reduce some skills need a smaller immobilization duration.

About the Thief part I understand your first point but I don’t think Thiefs should have access to Proctection because that’s one of theirs few weaknesses and they’re already the king of Evade, Blink (or Shadowstep), Stealth and Blind.

Lunavi – Ranger 80 ~ Charr Kuttery – Warrior 80
Little Lunavi – Ranger – Rank 4x
[CPC] Insert Coin – Vizunah Square [FR]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: yski.7642

yski.7642

I forgot to say that direct dmg gets shifted aswell … away from AA to cool down based skills.
—snip—

Oh, that makes a lot more sense.

I don’t like the idea of spamming skills on cooldown being always the optimal strategy though. I see what you’re trying to do by moving damage away from auto attacks, but the reason they exist in the first place is to do that damage.

In a lot of games if you want to do the highest amount of damage possible, you must midlessly repeat the same skill rotations over and over again regardless of the situation. In gw2 however, the idea is that your skill 1 is your bread and butter damage dealing ability, while the rest of the skills are more situational things like CC. It’s there to steer us away from spamming all our skills.

Personally I think we’re better off with the current system, but if we were to make cooldowns more powerful, why would we need an auto attack in the first place? Couldn’t we just as well replace it with an additional cooldown skill?

And glad you like then :P

Learn the ways of the mighty Deathleaf: http://www.youtube.com/user/YskiTheBanshee

(edited by yski.7642)

in Profession Balance

Shinobi.3240

—snip—

Oh, that makes a lot more sense.

I don’t like the idea of spamming skills on cooldown being always the optimal strategy though. I see what you’re trying to do by moving damage away from auto attacks, but the reason they exist in the first place is to do that damage.

In a lot of games if you want to do the highest amount of damage possible, you must midlessly repeat the same skill rotations over and over again regardless of the situation. In gw2 however, the idea is that your skill 1 is your bread and butter damage dealing ability, while the rest of the skills are more situational things like CC. It’s there to steer us away from spamming all our skills.

Personally I think we’re better off with the current system, but if we were to make cooldowns more powerful, why would we need an auto attack in the first place? Couldn’t we just as well replace it with an additional cooldown skill?

And glad you like then :P

But couldn´t AA exist to buff yourself or debuff the enemy … as utility .. ramp up … And to really do damage you have to hit with your Cooldown based and paragraphed skills … so the enemy has the opportunity to dodge it.

I know about the power of AA … i played other mmos before, wrote guides etc.
And it´s simply not fun .. yeah you had to do your rotation to buff the speed of the AA etc. but it was still AA.

My rogue back in the days … ^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMW-LaKGDls

To replace the AA with an additional cooldown based skill is not a bad idea. I like that. :-)

Best regards!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Swagg.9236

Swagg.9236

Removing conditions from auto-attacks would allow us to shift them to other better-cued, recharge-bound weapon skills. It would make condition builds more susceptible to things like timed dodges, positioning or single blocks as opposed to what they are now: countered only by extended blocks, invulnerabilities or passive healing while being forced to eat an unending stream of condition spam.

in Profession Balance

Shinobi.3240

Removing conditions from auto-attacks would allow us to shift them to other better-cued, recharge-bound weapon skills. It would make condition builds more susceptible to things like timed dodges, positioning or single blocks as opposed to what they are now: countered only by extended blocks, invulnerabilities or passive healing while being forced to eat an unending stream of condition spam.

Well written! Thats what i had in mind. +1

Best regards!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

I don’t think moving the damage from auto (direct or condition) is a good idea
All it would do is forced the thief to spend initiative on damage instead of using them for utility, and any use of aa would be a lose of dps/pressure.

Look at p/p, all your damage in a direct damage build is in your unload. you can use other skills like the daze, blind, or immobilize, but because they fight for initiative with your main damage source, you just punish your self when you use anything else.
And using your aa in that kind of build just tanks your damage hard.

Now you can say just spread the damage evenly between the 4 other skills, but anet has a thing about giving more dps to control/support skill, which is what 3 of the skills on p/p are. And people will just spam what ever is easier to hit with anyways.

I don’t know about you, but spamming my aa and being reward when I want use my other skills seems a lot better then spamming an initiative based skill and being punish when I do something different, it’s a lot less boring too.

As for condition damage, only 2 mh weapons have condi damage on the auto, and I never heard the bleed on the pistol or the poison on dagger really being an issue :/

in Profession Balance

Shinobi.3240

All it would do is forced the thief to spend initiative on damage instead of using them for utility, and any use of aa would be a lose of dps/pressure.

Look at p/p, all your damage in a direct damage build is in your unload. you can use other skills like the daze, blind, or immobilize, but because they fight for initiative with your main damage source, you just punish your self when you use anything else.

Now you can say just spread the damage evenly between the 4 other skills, but anet has a thing about giving more dps to control/support skill, which is what 3 of the skills on p/p are. And people will just spam what ever is easier to hit with anyways.

I don’t know about you, but spamming my aa and being reward when I want use my other skills seems a lot better then spamming an initiative based skill and being punish when I do something different, it’s a lot less boring too.

As for condition damage, only 2 mh weapons have condi damage on the auto, and I never heard the bleed on the pistol or the poison on dagger really being an issue :/

This change is for all classes not just for the Thief.

Every class will want to use the AA for its added utility e.g. Might, Swiftness, Fury, Cripple .. etc. not for it´s damage.

Your strong attacks will be buffed through the use of your AA, but they have a drawback .. your CD or Ini based skills have visual effects that makes them easier to dodge.

Best regards!

in Profession Balance

Shinobi.3240

Additions:

• Channeled evade attacks like Pistol Whip and Blurred Frenzy only prevent damage from the front. Blurred Frenzy doesn´t auto face anymore.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

very interesting notes,

I was away from the game for a while (6 weeks in Thailand .. jihaa) so i don´t know if they are still up to date:

There are more i guess .. but not sure …

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Burning_Precision
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dhuumfire
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Incendiary_Powder

Another Change to Thief i would like to see .. if a stealth attack is blocked you get revealed.

Best regards!

they wont reward any class that can sit still…press blind, block, invuln, aegis, etc and give thief revealed. that is a horrible reward for horrible play. so the best thing to do against a thief is afk til thye attack after you hit aegis? cmon thats stupid. if ur that bad then i understand. but if u cant dodge roll after 2.5 secs then idk what to tell u. l2p issue there.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ryan.6217

ryan.6217

…sure take my bleed auto attack away and give me chill…. what ever you want dude

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

Removing poison from AA would make fighting signet warriors pointless.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

This change is for all classes not just for the Thief.

Every class will want to use the AA for its added utility e.g. Might, Swiftness, Fury, Cripple .. etc. not for it´s damage.

Your strong attacks will be buffed through the use of your AA, but they have a drawback .. your CD or Ini based skills have visual effects that makes them easier to dodge.

Best regards!

I’m not convince this would work well on the thief though, why would this be an issue? imo thieves should have strong AAs, to supplement their dps when they are not using their initiative for burst or utility. Using initiative to sustain dps just seems inefficient.

And I would argue that the poison on the dagger is mostly about utility with the heal reduction/combing with lotus poison then it is with damage.

Additions:

Imo that would open up a can of balance problems, and not in the favour of classes like the guardian either, blocked attacks revealing wouldn’t even matter at that point. Doesn’t take a thief much to move to someone’s back, and it’s not like they don’t try to do this anyways.
How would that work for aoe?

There is a lot of what you want to change, but no why you want a change.

(edited by BobbyT.7192)