[Engineer] Feature... Fortified Turrets.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: LUST.7241

LUST.7241

Engineers will be getting additional support and survivability with their new turret trait, Fortified Turrets, which is part of the Inventions line. Each time an engineer with Fortified Turrets equipped spawns a new turret, that turret receives a defensive bubble that reflects projectiles for four seconds. This works with all turrets, including the Supply Crate.
~ https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/traits-unleashed-forty-new-traits-and-more/

So while all the other classes (except rangers too) get incredibly interesting trait additions featured… Engineers get Turrets featured. Out of all our kits… Turrets are the most interesting.

Unless Engineers are getting an easier day kiting their butts off (only to be even harder because the Mesmer trait addition), I hope to see turrets to actually be a threat rather than a complete waste of space. Not like the new grandmaster traits for other classes make it easier for us. :C

WTB more info.

(edited by LUST.7241)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Arrows move faster = interesting?

are we on the same planet

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Profession Balance

LUST.7241

Arrows move faster = interesting?

are we on the same planet

Okay, I’ll admit. Both the Engineer and Ranger featured trait is a slap in the face.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

It will be super broken if the 4 second reflect lasts after pick up. You can have 50% reflect up time just by cycling Healing Turret and Rifle Turret pick ups while still having Magnetic Shield with Reinforced Shield and 2 utilities.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Guardian one is pretty boring too. Big boost, but really boring.

I don’t think 4 second reflect bubbles on a 15 second cooldown will be bad, especially since most engies still pack Healing Turret as their heal skill and SD builds use Rifle Turret. Plus, this trait enhances the only elite than engies ever use anyhow.

Suitable for all builds? Not really, but I do think it will be better than you are giving credit for.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Profession Balance

LUST.7241

I don’t think 4 second reflect bubbles on a 15 second cooldown will be bad, especially since most engies still pack Healing Turret as their heal skill and SD builds use Rifle Turret. Plus, this trait enhances the only elite than engies ever use anyhow.

Suitable for all builds? Not really, but I do think it will be better than you are giving credit for.

Seems like they want Engineer Turret-builds to be PvE…you know since they take aggro like nobody’s business. x)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

What difference does it make? We are getting 5 new grand master traits.

What amazes me is that the “IN” thing to do is make a post that offers no ideas, or interesting discussion, simply to complain and moan about which skill they mentioned.

Turrets have had great demand for fixes and changes. It is very reasonable that they would highlight them. While threads with no actual purpose or direction to positively influence discussion, such as this one, bring a dark shadow to over otherwise highlighted and positive changes. People making threads such as these should be ashamed of themselves.

Whether or not it is an, and I quote “incredibly interesting trait” is subjective, and I for one think it has potential to be very interesting indeed.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dark FQ.1038

Dark FQ.1038

Well I am specced in DS as condimancer and I don t like the new necro trait. Wow 130 heal per sec in DS :S

Dark Fq (Desolation and Gandara)all classes condi. http://www.youtube.com/user/FQDark

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

What amazes me is that the “IN” thing to do is make a post that offers no ideas, or interesting discussion, simply to complain and moan about which skill they mentioned.

Turrets have had great demand for fixes and changes. It is very reasonable that they would highlight them. While threads with no actual purpose or direction to positively influence discussion, such as this one, bring a dark shadow to over otherwise highlighted and positive changes. People making threads such as these should be ashamed of themselves.

Whether or not it is an, and I quote “incredibly interesting trait” is subjective, and I for one think it has potential to be very interesting indeed.

50% reflect up time by using only 2 and leaving them out for a millisecond isn’t fixing turrets and if the shield disappears if they are destroyed it would be useless.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

I see two problems here.
The first is that it competes with rifled-turret barrels, as they share the same slot unless later specified (they could have moved rifled-turret barrels, after all).
The second…well, if they haven’t changed the natural squishiness of turrets, a turret build will be useless anyway. Projectiles never were a huge problem. Turrets dying in a couple seconds is.
And the bugs. I hope they have been fixed.

in Profession Balance

LUST.7241

My concern that it really doesn’t say or discuss any of the issues in using turrets. We are either going to get more blog posts about turrets (like boatload of needed fixes) and ignoring every other kit or just nothing.

They could have/should have at least put in more effort into this specific turret feature rather than say “look another turret trait.” Yes, it’s early…but really, the information given in comparison to other (more stable classes) is saddening.

Let’s be honest: The IN thing to do is have Engineers and Rangers frowned on for life.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

It could be OMG amazing. Really. What if you or team mates could stand under the bubbles? It works on healing turrets and the supply crate turrets.

What is the frequency of the bubble?

We seriously don’t know enough to be happy or sad for any class. What is exciting is seeing the scope of the work ANET has done.

in Profession Balance

LUST.7241

It could be OMG amazing. Really. What if you or team mates could stand under the bubbles? It works on healing turrets and the supply crate turrets.

What is the frequency of the bubble?

We seriously don’t know enough to be happy or sad for any class. What is exciting is seeing the scope of the work ANET has done.

I might add that I had the same feeling when they featured Engineers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uomx7z0KIIs). Sounds great on paper, looks cool in videos…but when it came down to in-game execution: tears were shed.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Look at ele’s new trait
/cry
Onlything i can do now is waiting for last 4 traits .

Doesn’t Water already have two very solid Grandmaster’s traits? V curious to see what they have coming up because the Elementalist grandmasters are already very build-defining.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Profession Balance

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

high level fractals → grawl fractal → have guardian or lose

after patch:
high level fractals → grawl fractal → have guardian or have your engi respec to turrets

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Profession Balance

Manuhell.2759

Still, it depends if the bubbles persist after the turrets’ death or if there is some cooldown involved.

And if they’ve finally fixed and rebalanced turrets.

in Profession Balance

Manuhell.2759

Still, it depends if the bubbles persist after the turrets’ death or if there is some cooldown involved.

And if they’ve finally fixed and rebalanced turrets.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

A couple things:

First, this is only one of five Grandmaster Traits that are being added. There will also be an addition to Explosives, Firearms, Alchemy, and Tools. It’s entirely possible that these will all be Kit-focused.
I do hope these are not Kit-focused additions, but that’s because I feel like most of our other skillsets don’t get enough attention to really work out as well as they could.

Second, this might actually be interesting; I’m not looking forward to finding out if it has to share a slot with RTB, although they might move RTB down to Master (and I hope they do – Autotool Installation is still rubbish, and they’ve moved a few traits from GM to Master anyway).
The devil’s in the details on whether it’ll be a particularly good trait, I think – does it have an ICD? Is it limited in how many can be up at once? Will it work, especially with Deployable Turrets? Will using it require giving up Rifled Turret Barrels? How big is the field? All of these are up in the air, and we won’t find out until the Feature Patch.

Finally, they have stated that there will be fixes for Turrets. I’m not happy about waiting until the Feature Patch for some long-awaited resolution for some of the many issues, but at least they’re finally, theoretically, making progress. With luck, this will also be the starting point of actually making Turrets as good as other skills available – I like Turrets, but it’s impossible to use them and not realize that they kind of suck.

In the end, we can’t really say we know anything about this trait, much less whether it’s interesting or not, until the Feature Patch hits – and when it does, I’ll be bugtesting.

Oh, also: I think this trait will just encourage the drop-and-pop playstyle (drop turret, overcharge, benefit from bubble, pick turret up or blow it up, drop another turret upon bubble dissolution). Too bad.

(edited by Anymras.5729)

in Profession Balance

Manuhell.2759

Actually we’ll find out tomorrow, in the Ready Up. They’re going to show all the traits.
And i was here to post your same last paragraph: it seems indeed that such a playstyle will be encouraged. And that makes me think turrets will be forever squishy and thus useless for PvE purposes. I hope i’ll be wrong.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Engineers running those builds generally won’t go 30 into inventions though. For an SD build, that’s valuable points out of the tools and firearms line that could severely cripple your damage output or mobility. Even the build I use that does go that high in inventions only uses healing turret, and it’s not yet know if the bubble will last after the turret is detonated or picked up. Could be an interesting choice if it does though.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Just fyi, Thieves have a pretty bland talent too. 5% healing from crits isn’t exactly powerful either and I doubt many Thieves will pick it since they already have numerous sources of passive healing.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Just fyi, Thieves have a pretty bland talent too. 5% healing from crits isn’t exactly powerful either and I doubt many Thieves will pick it since they already have numerous sources of passive healing.

Yeah, especially if it competes with hidden killer and executioner, which allow you to crit hard/frequently in the first place.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

ele got a trait that has NO affect on themselves…

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Spaceowl.5123

Spaceowl.5123

Ever noticed how your turrets sometimes blow up the instant you put it down in a fight? (seems to happen to me a lot in PvE, and I’m not taking damage or seeing an attack to be responsible for taking it out). This trait sounds like the hot fix…

On a side note if the reflect bubble works for players stacked on the turret as well, this could be quite useful (unless it has a stupidly long internal CD).

Guild Co-Leader of The Drunken Alliance [DKAL] (The Piken Square Server)
Proud to be an Engineer
http://www.dkalfansite.com/

in Profession Balance

Manuhell.2759

They get shotted by aoes and melee attacks, usually, more than projectiles.
Also, if they haven’t fixed their huge hitbox, what will likely happen is that they’ll get hit by projectiles anyway.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: KDXX.9520

KDXX.9520

I know it’s “best” to wait and see. But given the massive underpowering turrets have received in the past I generally can wash my hands of this trait in .5 seconds.

A projection bubble is useless in a real fight. I’m sorry is is.
1. Turrets are still so squishy, they will break with 1-2 AoE.
2. Defending against projectiles has never been a problem.

Want to know what IS a problem for Engies? Guardians with massive buff lines, including stability that will now have 3000 more hp than before, as if they didn’t have enough.

Class balance? WHAT CLASS BALANCE?!

You wanna fix turrets? Fix the kitten-ing HP, as in give them 10000-15000 hp + medium range armor, as base stats, then let them be trait-ed. Until this is done, I’m sticking with my flamethrower.

in Profession Balance

LUST.7241

Explosives – Synaptic Overload : Can 3s of quickness whenever you hit an opponent with a knockback skill. (20s CD)

Firearms – Bunker Down : Whenever you critically hit, you create a proximity mine at your feet. Mines have a 10s duration, 2s CD.

Investions – Fortified Turrets : When placing a turret, it gains a reflective shield for 4s. Shield disappears if it’s picked up or destroyed.

Alchemy – Experimental Turrets : Turrets apply boons in a 600 radius every 10s. Thumper – 3s protection, Net – 10s of swiftness, Rifle – 5s of fury, Healing – 3s of vigor, Rocket – 3s of retaliation, Flame – 3s of might.

Tools – Gadgeteer : Gadgets grant boons on use. AED – 3s retaliation, Battering Ram – 5s of fury, Rocket Boots – 4s of vigor, Slick Shoes – 8s of regen, Throw Mine – 6s of aegis, Goggles – 8 might for 5s.

~http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/210u5t/all_new_traits_here_from_the_stream/

Gadgeteer and and Experimental Turrets seem very useful in PvP/WvW, turrets seem a bit better for PvE. Other than that, I’m not that pleased. ;/

(edited by LUST.7241)

in Profession Balance

Manuhell.2759

Experimental Turrets can be fine just in PvP. In any other mode they just explode when someone glances at them.
Gadgeteer is a nice trait. The problem is that gadgets aren’t exactly much good.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Experimental Turrets can be fine just in PvP. In any other mode they just explode when someone glances at them.
Gadgeteer is a nice trait. The problem is that gadgets aren’t exactly much good.

Neither are Turrets.

On that note, I’m almost certainly going to end up using Experimental Turrets in my main build. I only hope that the boon isn’t random, though it likely will be.*

*I was at work during the stream, so I have no idea one way or another.

(edited by Anymras.5729)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

They should make turrets mobile, so they hover on little steam or anti grav asura platforms. The engineer from wildstar has these sorts of pets and is much more viable.