Engineers, the most OP class in the game

in Profession Balance

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

I really wish Anet would let us either pick a designation through forum options for posts so we know they are PVP, PVE, or WVW…. Or in our forum profiles we let us pick what game mode we play the most so that would be the most likely perspective we are speaking from so I don’t to click into threads like this.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

even if op was the tiniest bit correct in some of the statements the problem is All he talk about is spvp yet asks for global nerfs you know kinda like the dev saying net turret was op cuz he got slammed with supply drop and locked with net afterwards cuz he ran a signet warrior without stun break

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jackums.3496

Jackums.3496

IMO, the two primary issues with the Engi are their high access to CC and condi AoE.

CC via shield, Tool Kit, Bomb Kit (belt utility), Flamethrower, Supply Crate, etc.
AoE via Grenade Kit, Bomb Kit, Supply Crate, etc.

Tone both down to an extent and the Engi will be more balanced in PvP. In other game modes? The Engi is fine, or in need of utility buffs.

Many people know engineers are very weak to conditions and hard CC.

Between their excess of CC, blinds, blocks, and AoE conditions?

Any good Engi will proactively negate any potential hard CC in an even fight.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Uhtameit.2413

Uhtameit.2413

IMO, the two primary issues with the Engi are their high access to CC and condi AoE.

CC via shield, Tool Kit, Bomb Kit (belt utility), Flamethrower, Supply Crate, etc.

Tone both down to an extent and the Engi will be more balanced in PvP. In other game modes? The Engi is fine, or in need of utility buffs.

I like how you describe engineers that can’t have stun breakers, then claim that engi will negate any potential hard CC in an even fight.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Engineers are under powered because they need to sacrifice a spot for a condition removal or a stun breaker just to have a kit for a weapon to swap.

in Profession Balance

Uhtameit.2413

Engineers are under powered because they need to sacrifice a spot for a condition removal or a stun breaker just to have a kit for a weapon to swap.

Well, it’s just that they’re weak against conditions but they’re quite good against direct damage. You can’t just say they’re underpowered.

Tbh if Anet would add condition removal on kits, like :

- Remove 2 conditions when getting in/out of a kit (15s CD)

Then engineer would be in a really good spot.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

You mean a dodge button? Like everyone has access to? If you get hit with the hard cc you didn’t negate it. You basically just said the issue with Engineer is the Engineer. CC which they all have and AOE conditions which they some time have depending on the build whats left a full elixir engineer is ok for you?

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Profession Balance

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

I like how you describe engineers that can’t have stun breakers, then claim that engi will negate any potential hard CC in an even fight.

protection injection + stabilized armor !!

stunbrake r 4 chumpz !!!!!!!1

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Waikd.4632

Waikd.4632

OP, I understand where you are coming from with this post. Engineers have access to a ridiculous amount of skills, conditions, combo fields and finishers. On paper this makes them look quite overpowered. I don’t think they are however, because of the skill involved in playing an engineer and the constraint of 3 utility slots.

Many of the abilities we have access to are more difficult to land damage on than on other classes (we lack a strong auto attack, grenades are hard to throw on moving targets, bombs explode after a delay). It’s not unfair that the extra difficulty is rewarded with more potency when you are able to use them at maximum efficiency. The average engineer does no such thing, and is by no means overpowered.

Secondly, engineers are constrained by having 3 utility skills, like everyone else. Engineers cannot have all the specialized skills you described at the same time. They have to make choices between traits like everyone else does, and while they may be able to choose to be a jack of all trades, if they choose to be one, they will be a master of none.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

OP, I understand where you are coming from with this post. Engineers have access to a ridiculous amount of skills, conditions, combo fields and finishers. On paper this makes them look quite overpowered. I don’t think they are however, because of the skill involved in playing an engineer and the constraint of 3 utility slots.

Many of the abilities we have access to are more difficult to land damage on than on other classes (we lack a strong auto attack, grenades are hard to throw on moving targets, bombs explode after a delay). It’s not unfair that the extra difficulty is rewarded with more potency when you are able to use them at maximum efficiency. The average engineer does no such thing, and is by no means overpowered.

Secondly, engineers are constrained by having 3 utility skills, like everyone else. Engineers cannot have all the specialized skills you described at the same time. They have to make choices between traits like everyone else does, and while they may be able to choose to be a jack of all trades, if they choose to be one, they will be a master of none.

Engineer stopped taking skill a long time ago, it really isn’t hard to hit people on points and if no one is on a point you already won did you not?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: isolatedchimp.2510

isolatedchimp.2510

Engineer stopped taking skill a long time ago, it really isn’t hard to hit people on points and if no one is on a point you already won did you not?

Says the bunker/evade thief who does nothing but evade evade evade and no damage. No one should ever listen to you on issues of profession balance because you have this mentality that you’re not doing anything wrong but rather that it’s everything else that’s broken. That’s a horrible attitude to have and prevents you from ever learning.

Also, look at this hypocrisy from your most recent post.

The one skill that makes Thief a Thief needs to be nerfed? Game isn’t balanced around one on ones.

So you say the game isn’t balance around one on one when it involves a thief. But here you’re complaining about an engi supposedly winning any cap fight, presumably also one on one. If you’re claiming that a non bunker engi is also winning 1v2 fights that just further reinforces that you’re full of it.

You’re obsessed with trying to get engis nerfed. Whining about everything from their healing, CC, conditions, I mean everything. It’s quite ridiculous. Like I said, no one should ever listen to you because you’re extremely biased and irrational.

(edited by isolatedchimp.2510)

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

Look at this bad, are you implying I’ve ever complaining about anything but things above 1 on 1s in Spvp?

in Profession Balance

dancingmonkey.4902

It doesn’t appear to me that he is “implying” anything. It appear more as if he is stating that he has factual evidence to your obvious display of back tracking on your statements when it suits you, against professions you dislike and don’t play. In other words you use one argument when it favors your preferred profession, but you argue the exact opposite against professions you have trouble fighting. To me, that sure seems as if you are simply demanding nerfs to suit your personal needs, reguardless of whether something is balanced or not.

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

But that thread is complaining about 1 on 1s which the game isn’t balanced around, Engineers are broken in team fights.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

But that thread is complaining about 1 on 1s which the game isn’t balanced around, Engineers are broken in team fights.

as are PW thieves and Hambows. When it comes down to it, their most imbalanced mechanics are all getting nerfed. We’ll just have to wait for the patch.

in Profession Balance

dancingmonkey.4902

For one, you have made specific 1v1 comparisons for your argument here, now that he pointed out these facts you are making an entirely new statement. That is simply evidence to an irrational bias. Once your argument is proven invalid, you simply change it. Secondly, my argument here would be to ask you to prove it.

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

For one, you have made specific 1v1 comparisons for your argument here, now that he pointed out these facts you are making an entirely new statement. That is simply evidence to an irrational bias. Once your argument is proven invalid, you simply change it. Secondly, my argument here would be to ask you to prove it.

Link any of my posts ever complaining about things in a 1 on 1 besides WvW.

in Profession Balance

dancingmonkey.4902

Umm we already did here, and you said it in this thread. If I am mistaken, feel free to quote me the section of the thread title that says this is sPvP, or where you even stated that in your quoted post.

Not to mention you ignore the fact that you have yet to even offer evidence to that statement, much less prove it. As you appear to prefer to offer none specific anecdotal evidence, are you going to give us a specific group composition as well, and demand Anet balances a single profession around a very specific group composition as well?

I think what glaphen wants is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

(edited by dancingmonkey.4902)

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

I’ve complained for months about them but no one cares since the bandwagon is on Warriors.

That’s the only post I’ve made on the first page and the rest are easily readable right above you

I’ve seen the joke video posted 10000 times by every kitten Engineer ever.

Healing Turret-2520
Cleansing Burst-2520-AoE
5s Regeneration-650-AoE
Detonate Healing Turret-1320-AoE
7010 every 20 seconds with 4490 of that being AoE with 2 conditions removed in an AoE and 1/2 the cast time. You can also sacrifice the 1320 blast finisher for a 5 second less cooldown on the rest by picking it up instantly.
That’s 350 health per second with 224 and 2 conditions removed to your allies and Healing Signet which is the big bad super ultimate healing skill heals 392.

in Profession Balance

dancingmonkey.4902

If you wish to discuss the balance of healing turret, sure, we can do that. I agree that is a lot of healing.

Umm, then again, I can do that with my basic weapon on my staff elementalist. For that matter, I can put 5 blast finishers on my usual build onto an elementalist water field for 7,500 AoE healing. As well I can do that off of rangers healing spring. I often have both of those in my group. So does water attunement staff ele and ranger both need nerfs?

You never answered my question, how many hours do you have on your engineer?

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

Wow your healing skills automatically heal your allies for that much? They also self heal for near Warrior levels? Elementalist has only 1 staff blast finisher and the other 4 come from rarely used utilities with staff. Ranger only has 1 warhorn blast and using 2 drakes that don’t scale with healing power. This is ignoring that Engineer has the most blast finishers as well of course besides Thief shortbow spam.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: isolatedchimp.2510

isolatedchimp.2510

Here’s more of Glaphen’s hypocrisy:

So non meta Warriors are OP now and they need to nerf the entire class then huh?

Complaining about non meta Warriors is an obvious sign of bad.

Yet Glaphen here is complaining about the ENTIRE engineer profession as a whole, even complaining about the NON meta NON decap bunker/AR engineers. The only engineers that are a problem in any meta is the decap, so does that mean you “are a bad” for complaining about non meta engineers.

Seriously, just quit it. You’re choking on your own words of hypocrisy here.

EDIT: Also, don’t expect me to reply to you right away since I’m on a once per hour post restriction. Thanks ANET!

(edited by isolatedchimp.2510)

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

Here’s more of Glaphen’s hypocrisy:

So non meta Warriors are OP now and they need to nerf the entire class then huh?

Complaining about non meta Warriors is an obvious sign of bad.

Yet Glaphen here is complaining about the ENTIRE engineer profession as a whole, even complaining about the NON meta NON decap bunker/AR engineers. The only engineers that are a problem in any meta is the decap, so does that mean you “are a bad” for complaining about non meta engineers.

Seriously, just quit it. You’re choking on your own words of hypocrisy here.

I’m complaining about decap and the 2 meta kit builds obviously.

Attachments:

in Profession Balance

Uhtameit.2413

I wish my account name was primate-related, that way I could join isolatedchimp and dancingmonkey in their fight.

Glaphen is clueless and can barely read half of your post before making up some strategies that involve traps that he doesn’t even fathom himself. You’d have a better time arguing with a wall.

in Profession Balance

dancingmonkey.4902

Wow your healing skills automatically heal your allies for that much? They also self heal for near Warrior levels? Elementalist has only 1 staff blast finisher and the other 4 come from rarely used utilities with staff. Ranger only has 1 warhorn blast and using 2 drakes that don’t scale with healing power. This is ignoring that Engineer has the most blast finishers as well of course besides Thief shortbow spam.

Wait…..what? You said they were OP in group . I can link that quote if you like. My wife plays a staff ele, and my son plays a ranger. What is your next argument to be? Demanding I prove I run run a group with my wife and son? Shall I link our generally preferred builds? So now your saying they are OP in groups, then ignoring that my group mates can have water fields for me to blast? For that matter, I can blast random players water fields.

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

Someone still upset you had no arguments about Building Momentum but the bug fix card ANet played?

Wait…..what? You said they were OP in group . I can link that quote if you like. My wife plays a staff ele, and my son plays a ranger. What is your next argument to be? Demanding I prove I run run a group with my wife and son? Shall I link our generally preferred builds? So now your saying they are OP in groups, then ignoring that my group mates can have water fields for me to blast? For that matter, I can blast random players water fields.

I’m talking about Spvp, PvE balance is a kitten hole anyways.

in Profession Balance

Uhtameit.2413

Someone still upset you had no arguments about Building Momentum but the bug fix card ANet played?

Your inability to fathom arguments doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Sorry.

in Profession Balance

dancingmonkey.4902

Wait, what? You said group balance. So you got proof me and my wife and son do not play together in sPvP?

By the way, since you mentioned it. How does group balance play into a bunker engineer? Do you always have your entire group stack on your engineer when you bunker a point on it? Cause I thought the point of that engineer build was to hold a point with minimal assistance.

So, if you feel the healing turret definingly makes the engineer over powered, why did you make 27 post in this thread before you even mention the healing turret?

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

Wait, what? You said group balance. So you got proof me and my wife and son do not play together in sPvP?

By the way, since you mentioned it. How does group balance play into a bunker engineer? Do you always have your entire group stack on your engineer when you bunker a point on it? Cause I thought the point of that engineer build was to hold a point with minimal assistance.

So, if you feel the healing turret definingly makes the engineer over powered, why did you make 27 post in this thread before you even mention the healing turret?

Since when did Ranger and Elementalist give 224 health per second to their allies and even close to 350 to themselves with 0 healing power and only their healing skill. The range on the Engineer heal is larger than Combustive Shot so its not really hard to hit everyone with it. I don’t even have 10 posts in this thread so I dunno where 27 came from. This is again about only the healing skill since everyone complains about Healing Signet.

in Profession Balance

oZii.2864

I’ve complained for months about them but no one cares since the bandwagon is on Warriors.

That’s the only post I’ve made on the first page and the rest are easily readable right above you

Healing Turret-2520
Cleansing Burst-2520-AoE
5s Regeneration-650-AoE
7010 every 20 seconds with 4490 of that being AoE with 2 conditions removed in an AoE and 1/2 the cast time. You can also sacrifice the 1320 blast finisher for a 5 second less cooldown on the rest by picking it up instantly.
That’s 350 health per second with 224 and 2 conditions removed to your allies and Healing Signet which is the big bad super ultimate healing skill heals 392.

They are 2 different types of heals convenience is also why healing signet is strong.

They are different heals you can’t just compare the HPS. Signet of Resolve is better HPS and scales @ 1.25 on paper it’s better then Shelter which is .7, but we all know why Guards take Shelter instead of Signet in most cases. Doesn’t work that way just to look at HPS especially across 2 different classes.

{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

Healing Turret-2520
Cleansing Burst-2520-AoE
5s Regeneration-650-AoE

They are 2 different types of heals convenience is also why healing signet is strong.

They are different heals you can’t just compare the HPS. Signet of Resolve is better HPS and scales @ 1.25 on paper it’s better then Shelter which is .7, but we all know why Guards take Shelter instead of Signet in most cases. Doesn’t work that way just to look at HPS especially across 2 different classes.

Thanks for explaining something obvious, are you gonna explain where the bonus from Healing Signet over Healing Turret is? The hard to read fast casting animation?

in Profession Balance

oZii.2864

Since when did Ranger and Elementalist give 224 health per second to their allies and even close to 350 to themselves with 0 healing power and only their healing skill. The range on the Engineer heal is larger than Combustive Shot so its not really hard to hit everyone with it. I don’t even have 10 posts in this thread so I dunno where 27 came from. This is again about only the healing skill since everyone complains about Healing Signet.

Elementalists give out 274 HPS with Staff auto attack in water attunement the base is 370 heal with 0 healing power.

Thanks for explaining something obvious, are you gonna explain where the bonus from Healing Signet over Healing Turret is? The hard to read fast casting animation?

Ahh ok then there is no need to compare them

{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in Profession Balance

dancingmonkey.4902

Wait, what? You just chidded me earlier stating very specifically that you demand we are speaking in terms of how engineer is OP in a group context, yet you keep trying to make 1 to 1 comparisons.

I am following your context by explaining what my wife, son, and I in group, have capability of. Then you resort back to making it a 1 to 1 comparison. Which is it pal?

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

Elementalists give out 274 HPS with Staff auto attack in water attunement

Wow healing in a tiny area while doing no damage is OP, it isn’t time to complain about healing Elementalists till the patch when combined with other healing builds.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Grimreaper.5370

Grimreaper.5370

Confusion is what makes engy stand out in my book. Nades and bombs make engy hard for melee classes.

in Profession Balance

dancingmonkey.4902

Wow healing in a tiny area while doing no damage is OP, it isn’t time to complain about healing Elementalists till the patch when combined with other healing builds.

It is the ability to heal in an AoE at 1200 range. I hardly call that a tiny area.

Interesting, now your suggesting healing turret out damages elementalist staff. Now that is a bold angle.

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

Wait, what? You just chidded me earlier stating very specifically that you demand we are speaking in terms of how engineer is OP in a group context, yet you keep trying to make 1 to 1 comparisons.

I am following your context by explaining what my wife, son, and I in group, have capability of. Then you resort back to making it a 1 to 1 comparison. Which is it pal?

Do you understand what a 1 on 1 is? Show me the healing skill that they have doing this much healing with 0 healing power, its pretty simple, or not since they don’t have one.

It is the ability to heal in an AoE at 1200 range. I hardly call that a tiny area.

Interesting, now your suggesting healing turret out damages elementalist staff. Now that is a bold angle.

The radius is 120-180 and it requires constant application for those 20 seconds to do the healing per second.

in Profession Balance

oZii.2864

See you asked a simple question with out specification

Since when did Ranger and Elementalist give 224 health per second to their allies and even close to 350 to themselves with 0 healing power and only their healing skill.

Got a simple answer

Now you want to be specific this will go no where you will always change the variables to support your argument.

{Thief}

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

in Profession Balance

dancingmonkey.4902

Wait a minute, I am simply asking are you claiming the engineer is OP in a 1 to 1 comparison or that they are OP in a group setting?

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

Wait a minute, I am simply asking are you claiming the engineer is OP in a 1 to 1 comparison or that they are OP in a group setting?

They are overpowered in group play and I’m doing a 1 to 1 comparison of Healing Turret to Healing Signet, because this is the same thing people did to Warriors.

in Profession Balance

oZii.2864

There we go so are we assuming people are running around with no weapons too?

I don’t know of a weapon combination for a Elementalist that doesn’t have a healing skill on it unless people run around with just a focus offhand.

See classes are different thanks.

{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

I don’t know of a weapon combination for a Elementalist that doesn’t have a healing skill on it unless people run around with just a focus offhand.

Yeah it’s time for nerf Elementalist threads right, I’m so tired of Elementalists with 0 healing power spamming Water Blast healing the bunker for pitiful health per second instead of Fireballing at least.

in Profession Balance

oZii.2864

Yeah it’s time for nerf Elementalist threads right, I’m so tired of Elementalists with 0 healing power spamming Water Blast healing the bunker for pitiful health per second instead of Fireballing at least.

Each engineer heal has it’s own line. So each part is considered it’s own heal according to the wiki.

{Thief}

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

Each engineer heal has it’s own line. So each part is considered it’s own heal according to the wiki.

Do you not know what tool belt skills are? I don’t understand your point either way.

in Profession Balance

oZii.2864

Do you not know what tool belt skills are? I don’t understand your point either way.

Why is it ok for your argument to assume the engineer is running around spamming healing turret when it’s off cooldown and doing nothing else, but we can’t do that for a staff ele? Could it be because that doesn’t help your argument?

{Thief}

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

Why is it ok for your argument to assume the engineer is running around spamming healing turret when it’s off cooldown and doing nothing else, but we can’t do that for a staff ele? Could it be because that doesn’t help your argument?

Who says you can’t do this for staff Elementalist? Find me an Elementalist spamming Water Blast with 0 healing power though please. The point is it takes an instant to use Healing Turret and then you can do anything else for the next 15-20 seconds, the Elementalist getting that health per second is doing nothing useful unless a healing build, but then we start comparing healing build to healing build which is kittened when both are bad.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

You forget that Ranger can’t blast in his water field rapidly. Warhorn isn’t any meta in PvP, Drake Blast is a NPC rng decision and we can have two leaps (Sword and GS) through the water field. It involves at least 3 seconds of combat action, uses yourother abilities and weapon swaps.
Elementalist with Water Blast… Let me remind you that it’s usable in only one out of 4 attunements and Ele who’s staying in Water spamming #1 isn’t really welcome anywhere today.

At the same time, Engineer does the same thing with nearly instant cast, one utility without losing any combat efficiency. No, it isn’t balanced really.

@OP – I kind of agree. Many who play this class will defend it as it was (and still is) considered as “the high skill” profession. But since the condition meta builds have been discovered it hardly remains as one.
I admit, it has more buttons to click. But, honestly, long-time MMO players like ones coming from competitive areas of other MMO games (like WoW back in days) were managing even more keys on daily basis (Playing PvP hunter as myself it was around 40-60 binds) and Engineer isn’t a problem for them.

I admit some professions certainly lack in advanced mechanics (Rangers, Warriors(!), Guardians, Necromancers, Thieves probably) but playing a profession with more buttons to manage shouldn’t be a reason for simply having the advantage because of this.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Profession Balance

dancingmonkey.4902

They are overpowered in group play and I’m doing a 1 to 1 comparison of Healing Turret to Healing Signet, because this is the same thing people did to Warriors.

Git it. So we are flip flopping to what ever is the most convenient for your argument, even though you specifically stated other wise in previous post. Particularly when referring to you preferred professions of warrior and thief.

I have no doubt that the entire community will support you in your claim that engineer is totally overpowered when compared to warrior and thief. /end sarcasm.

You forget that Ranger can’t blast in his water field rapidly. Warhorn isn’t any meta in PvP, Drake Blast is a NPC rng decision and we can have two leaps (Sword and GS) through the water field. It involves at least 3 seconds of combat action, uses yourother abilities and weapon swaps.
Elementalist with Water Blast… Let me remind you that it’s usable in only one out of 4 attunements and Ele who’s staying in Water spamming #1 isn’t really welcome anywhere today.

I think you missed what was being said. The guy claimed that engineer was OP in terms of a group (after saying in no way did he want to make 1 to 1 comparisons) and I was pointing out, that in my case, I do not run healing turret, and in the situation it is irrelevant, because I can simply blast the ranger or ele water fields.

in Profession Balance

glaphen.5230

Git it. So we are flip flopping to what ever is the most convenient for your argument, even though you specifically stated other wise in previous post. Particularly when referring to you preferred professions of warrior and thief.

I have no doubt that the entire community will support you in your claim that engineer is totally overpowered when compared to warrior and thief. /end sarcasm.

I don’t think you understand the difference between a 1 on 1 fight and a 1 to 1 comparison. I’ve implied I have never complained about 1 on 1 fight imbalances and you seem to think I mean 1 to 1 class comparisons or something.