[Feature Patch] Necromancer Needs More Help!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Apokriphos.7042

Apokriphos.7042

The necromancer needs more than what was shown in the skill preview last Friday.

The class at its core is completely selfish. It seems the developers designed the class to have mastery over conditions, but damaging conditions – as designed – are completely useless in any sort of group play. Gw2 is based on group play – which means this class is ultimately flawed in most PvE environments.

It has low access to boons (of any type), no leap movement skills, no easily accessible combo finishers or group buff fields, long recharges on skills, and innumerable useless traits (more than any other class I have played). Necromancers are also pigeonholed into one of two elites – plague form or Lich Form – or maybe just 1 now with the nerf to Lich – unless you are lucky enough to have chosen Norn at creation. Minion AI is very unresponsive when used while the character is moving, often sitting idly by as your character dies. (this bug needs work!)

Jumping from Necromancer to Elementalist was an eye-opening experience on how a class should be designed. Warrior & Engineer were equally shocking in their flexibility in comparison.

Were Necromancers designed to be a punching bag class??

Below is a list of game modes and my thoughts on Necromancer status in each. Some players kittenpond to this post will disagree with various points but the underlying point is clear – the changes previewed for the upcoming balance class are not enough.

(In PvE Dungeon Parties): Necromancer is the LEAST wanted class in Dungeons according to several polls up right now in the Dungeon Forum. It has no group boons or group benefits, boon removal (via Corrupt Boon & Traited Dark Path) doesn’t help as bosses reapply almost instantly. Long recharges on skills and no damage avoidance mechanics to avoid certainly fatal blows at high level Fractals make the clkitten then optimal for skips and runs (the preferred method of dungeon gold farming).

(In sPvP): Being a selfish class here forces Necromancer to be the ONLY class required to have a handler to survive upper tier team sPvP. No dodge utilities or weapon skills, escapes, reliable stability or leaps mean that any knowledgeable player simply focuses the necro until downed.

(WvW):
[Zerg v Zerg]- Necromancers will always have a place in WvW Zergs due to the Death Shroud mechanic staying charged from massive deaths and the stacking of pulsed wells for direct damage. Zerg v Zerg, in my opinion, should not reward players so much more by their numbers then their skill on the battlefield.

[Roaming]- Necromancers can duel well with a fully charged Death Shroud and an opponent that does not run away. When this is not the case, as is almost always in WvW, Necromancers fare poorly in this mode. They have no leaps or escapes (barring Norn racial elite – always play a Norn Necro for this mode) and are inevitably crushed by any outnumbering of the enemy. They cannot pick their fights and retreat from bad ones, which ultimately means they do poorly in WvW roaming mode.

(Downed State): Necromancer downed state is tied for weakest according to several player polls. No tide-turning abilities such as mist form, temporary rally, pet help rally, group heal, or stealth invisibility. A downed necromancer is almost always a dead necromancer.

You won’t see Necromancers used in high end dungeon runs, you won’t see them used in high end sPvP (just Zombify?) and you won’t see them used in any game mode where skill is most important.

This is because the upcoming balance changes are not enough – nothing fundimental has changed.

Thus, the class is not balanced for most of Guild Wars 2 and new players should spend their time elsewhere.

Please only respond if you read this entire post. Sorry, no TLDR;

in Profession Balance

Posted by: wiredrawn.7298

wiredrawn.7298

… Long recharges on skills and no damage avoidance mechanics …

I agree. I’ve been attempting to add some suggestions in various threads on this, but I’m not sure if developers have gotten to any of them yet. People keep suggesting to be able to heal in DS, but need to realize there has got to be huge testing/balancing with something that big and with the way they are doing their updating, it’s incremental so that I think is asking for too much at this time.

More chilling, more weakness, more daze etc. something please .. but it seems like they won’t be changing much or their minds at this point.

What about axe doing cripple every 3rd hit and the retaliation being extended by 0.5-1.0 sec.?

I know there is no plan for us to be able to catch a running enemy or be able to get away, so at least give us some more options to slow down the incoming a bit, without cheese-ly relying on DS to save us when we get low on health but then lose our rotations. For once I’d like to use DS because it fits in the rotation, like now is the perfect time for <blank> instead of, wow wow too much incoming damage pop DS.

P.S What about something like the guardian has, guardian has an ability that makes his allies apply burning on next hit, what about us having the ability for our allies to apply daze on next hit? We need a good reason for groups to want us in a dungeon.

(edited by wiredrawn.7298)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Not disagreeing but shouldn’t we focus on 1 specific thread? I mean really it makes it easier for them to look for feedback on 1 long and expressive thread,scattered +17 ones is not giving them an easy job thus not giving us more chances and didn’t they merge them?

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Profession Balance

Apokriphos.7042

The reason there are so many threads (17+) is probably due to individual player passion and hope that something can still be changed or added to before the release of the feature patch.

I believe there is a place for both the combined thread and new ones that elaborate on an unremarked idea. My thread is focusing on the idea that the Necromancer needs something that makes them uniquely valuable as a group member (thieves stealth, mesmer portals, guardian reflect, etc), not just as an individual.

Something only the Necromancer can do, or something that only it can do best.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

POST ALL THE THREADS!! Seriously though, they are just going to merge this one, they’ve done it with all the others, and we don’t need 500 of them to get the point across.

Frankly, what do you expect? No one’s saying “hey guys, feature patch here, this is the last balance patch we’re doing, starting work on GW3 so in a few years you can just play a new game!”, they just made a few changes, which all were completely reasonable, but they couldn’t really change the entire profession in a feature patch.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

POST ALL THE THREADS!! Seriously though, they are just going to merge this one, they’ve done it with all the others, and we don’t need 500 of them to get the point across.

Frankly, what do you expect? No one’s saying “hey guys, feature patch here, this is the last balance patch we’re doing, starting work on GW3 so in a few years you can just play a new game!”, they just made a few changes, which all were completely reasonable, but they couldn’t really change the entire profession in a feature patch.

With all due respect to you and Anet, they didn’t do a very good job. They actually hardly did what they described in their own preview of the changes. Hence the 500 threads.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

Sometime, you just don’t make sense. One time you’re all like: Necromancer preview day is not okay! We can’t give feedbacks in time! I should be changed! Lmao, you’re the one who started the thread…

After they changed the day and all, you’re telling people to just sit there and shut up?

Make up your mind seriously…

(edited by Poplolita.2638)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

So you’re asking for a 2nd hp bar + more avoidance/boons? I would expect them to massively nerf death shroud if they were to go through with this. Otherwise it would be far too strong.

PvE/WvW… I don’t really care. PvE is easymode enough as is, WvW isn’t balanced for at all and there are many higher priority problems to solve when it comes to WvW balance than this.

I agree that downed states need better balancing, but it’s been forever since they’ve changed any at all, so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DejaVu.9825

DejaVu.9825

The necromancer needs more than what was shown in the skill preview last Friday.

The class at its core is completely selfish. It seems the developers designed the class to have mastery over conditions, but damaging conditions – as designed – are completely useless in any sort of group play. Gw2 is based on group play – which means this class is ultimately flawed in most PvE environments.

It has low access to boons (of any type), no leap movement skills, no easily accessible combo finishers or group buff fields, long recharges on skills, and innumerable useless traits (more than any other class I have played). Necromancers are also pigeonholed into one of two elites – plague form or Lich Form – or maybe just 1 now with the nerf to Lich – unless you are lucky enough to have chosen Norn at creation. Minion AI is very unresponsive when used while the character is moving, often sitting idly by as your character dies. (this bug needs work!)

Jumping from Necromancer to Elementalist was an eye-opening experience on how a class should be designed. Warrior & Engineer were equally shocking in their flexibility in comparison.

Were Necromancers designed to be a punching bag class??

Below is a list of game modes and my thoughts on Necromancer status in each. Some players kittenpond to this post will disagree with various points but the underlying point is clear – the changes previewed for the upcoming balance class are not enough.

(In PvE Dungeon Parties): Necromancer is the LEAST wanted class in Dungeons according to several polls up right now in the Dungeon Forum. It has no group boons or group benefits, boon removal (via Corrupt Boon & Traited Dark Path) doesn’t help as bosses reapply almost instantly. Long recharges on skills and no damage avoidance mechanics to avoid certainly fatal blows at high level Fractals make the clkitten then optimal for skips and runs (the preferred method of dungeon gold farming).

(In sPvP): Being a selfish class here forces Necromancer to be the ONLY class required to have a handler to survive upper tier team sPvP. No dodge utilities or weapon skills, escapes, reliable stability or leaps mean that any knowledgeable player simply focuses the necro until downed.

(WvW):
[Zerg v Zerg]- Necromancers will always have a place in WvW Zergs due to the Death Shroud mechanic staying charged from massive deaths and the stacking of pulsed wells for direct damage. Zerg v Zerg, in my opinion, should not reward players so much more by their numbers then their skill on the battlefield.

[Roaming]- Necromancers can duel well with a fully charged Death Shroud and an opponent that does not run away. When this is not the case, as is almost always in WvW, Necromancers fare poorly in this mode. They have no leaps or escapes (barring Norn racial elite – always play a Norn Necro for this mode) and are inevitably crushed by any outnumbering of the enemy. They cannot pick their fights and retreat from bad ones, which ultimately means they do poorly in WvW roaming mode.

(Downed State): Necromancer downed state is tied for weakest according to several player polls. No tide-turning abilities such as mist form, temporary rally, pet help rally, group heal, or stealth invisibility. A downed necromancer is almost always a dead necromancer.

You won’t see Necromancers used in high end dungeon runs, you won’t see them used in high end sPvP (just Zombify?) and you won’t see them used in any game mode where skill is most important.

This is because the upcoming balance changes are not enough – nothing fundimental has changed.

Thus, the class is not balanced for most of Guild Wars 2 and new players should spend their time elsewhere.

Please only respond if you read this entire post. Sorry, no TLDR;

Perfect analysis
The necromancer need to build a power valid. Many weapons should be completely rebuilt.

(edited by DejaVu.9825)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Perfect analysis
The necromancer need to build a power valid. Many weapons should be completely rebuilt.

What weapons?

How would you rebuild them?

What is a power valid? Do you refer to valid power build? If so, there are a few.

Unless you answer those two question, “claiming” they need rebuilt comes off as nothing more them aimless complaining with no actual direction. I am not disagree or even agreeing with you for that matter, I am simply suggesting to you what I feel Anet reads out of it.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Riccardo.7254

Riccardo.7254

Perfect analysis

What weapons?

What is a power valid? Do you refer to valid power build? If so, there are a few.

Unless you answer those two question, “claiming” they need rebuilt comes off as nothing more them aimless complaining with no actual direction. I am not disagree or even agreeing with you for that matter, I am simply suggesting to you what I feel Anet reads out of it.

the necromancer community has proposed plenty of possibile reworks and needed changes..
just go there and and bring some devs with you for a tour

Commander Soundless Death, Necro 80 – IoJ
Commander Gammaburst, Warr 80 – IoJ
Headhunter Jaeger, Thief 80 – IoJ

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DejaVu.9825

DejaVu.9825

Perfect analysis

What weapons?

the necromancer community has proposed plenty of possibile reworks and needed changes..

I mean that the necromancer has only build conditions as … something very depressing for pvp at high levels. I have many ideas, especially for weapons and traits, unfortunately the speech is long and I would advise not using google translator clearly.

in Profession Balance

dancingmonkey.4902

I think your missing the point. My point is that if certain Anet folks have to go hunt down what you really mean, based on obscure statements you make here, you do yourself no favors. Also, I personally, feel anytime you “claim” something “needs” to be reworked and refuse to share how, your being counter productive.

I mean that the necromancer has only build conditions as … something very depressing for pvp at high levels. I have many ideas, especially for weapons and traits, unfortunately the speech is long and I would advise not using google translator clearly.

Ahh, but that is not the case. I know a solid few who run very solid power builds. I do so myself.

I can see how language barrier issues can be problematic.

in Profession Balance

Riccardo.7254

I think your missing the point. My point is that if certain Anet folks have to go hunt down what you really mean, based on obscure statements you make here, you do yourself no favors. Also, I personally, feel anytime you “claim” something “needs” to be reworked and refuse to share how, your being counter productive.

can’t understand if you don’t want to see things in front of you or if it’s just laziness..
anyway here some points for you and the “watching” devs:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/Addressing-Necro-Issues-Merged/page/5#post4361248

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer/Just-give-up-guys/first

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer/New-Changes-2-Necro-Pitiful/first#post4359942

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer/Fixing-Necromancer-3-Changes-You-Would-Make/first#post4356177

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer/necromancer-skill-improvements

have a good read

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The necromancer needs more attention, and we should keep posting till someone takes notice. It’s about time some of the devs started playing a necro as a main, and it is about time they started giving the class some love. Fix our core issues, or I simply won’t be playing.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Profession Balance

Riccardo.7254

The necromancer needs more attention, and we should keep posting till someone takes notice. It’s about time some of the devs started playing a necro as a main, and it is about time they started giving the class some love. Fix our core issues, or I simply won’t be playing.

+1

in Profession Balance

dancingmonkey.4902

can’t understand if you don’t want to see things in front of you or if it’s just laziness..

Umm, I am well aware of the issues. No need for the personal attacks simply because I suggest actually listing specific changes in the “balance” sub forums, instead of making blanket “this needs changed” style statements.

Be part of the solution and not the problem. “whaaaa, whaaaa, fix this now or I no play moar……………….” does not aid in solving the problem, because if you are unhappy with the fix, you complain further. If you like, I can list some necro changes that you have personally complained about after they were changed, to see my point.

Calling someone “lazy” for offering sound advice doesn’t help. Particularly when bellowing complaints while avoiding putting any effort in listing solutions is infinitely lazier.

Similarly to posters claiming that devs do or do not play certain professions. You might as well be spamming post in which your literally begging to be ignored, when you make uninformed claims and proof-less accusations. I mean they have made multiple post notifying folks how they immediately discount post and entire threads when they are unreasonably bashed in such a way.

You guys take action in a manner that completely contradicts your own best interest. Then actually feel like the correct coarse of action is to bash anyone offering communication advise or by making back handed insults and fact-less accusations in the direction of those who put in the actual labor to make the changes.

(edited by dancingmonkey.4902)

in Profession Balance

Riccardo.7254

Umm, I am well aware of the issues. No need for the personal attacks simply because I suggest actually listing specific changes in the “balance” sub forums, instead of making blanket “this needs changed” style statements.

Be part of the solution and not the problem. “whaaaa, whaaaa, fix this now or I no play moar……………….” does not aid in solving the problem, because if you are unhappy with the fix, you complain further. If you like, I can list some necro changes that you have personally complained about after they were changed, to see my point.

Calling someone “lazy” for offering sound advice doesn’t help. Particularly when bellowing complaints while avoiding putting any effort in listing solutions is infinitely lazier.

Similarly to posters claiming that devs do or do not play certain professions. You might as well be spamming post in which your literally begging to be ignored, when you make uninformed claims and proof-less accusations. I mean they have made multiple post notifying folks how they immediately discount post and entire threads when they are unreasonably bashed in such a way.

You guys take action in a manner that completely contradicts your own best interest. Then actually feel like the correct coarse of action is to bash anyone offering communication advise or by making back handed insults and fact-less accusations in the direction of those who put in the actual labor to make the changes.

wasn’t attacking you personally, apologies if it seemed so, and i don’t wanna another mexican standoff on this thread. My concern is just to see our devs demonstrate some care for our profession.

/reply, good luck

in Profession Balance

Apokriphos.7042

In the primary post of this thread I listed my thoughts on the Necromancer and its state in each game mode.

Below are my suggestions on how to improve the game modes for Necromancer.

[Downed State] Change Fetid Ground skill in down state to behave identical to Well of Corruption. In turn, increase recharge to 40s from 20s.

This will give necromancers their thematic boon conversion ability on down, and make it slightly less guaranteed to use a finisher on a necromancer, similar to all other class downed abilities.

[High-end Dungeon Running PvE] Give Necromancers traits that directly benefit the party they are in. This can be similar to ranger spotter, allowing for the boosting of one or more ability. This could also be something like Bone Wall or Bone Bridge (used during the last Living Story) that allows for the Necromancer to create a physical obstruction that NPCs must destroy to reach the players (analogous to reflect walls) or allows Necromancer party members to use the Bridge to cross to another part of the map quicker then walking around (like mesmer portal).

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Sometime, you just don’t make sense. One time you’re all like: Necromancer preview day is not okay! We can’t give feedbacks in time! I should be changed! Lmao, you’re the one who started the thread…

After they changed the day and all, you’re telling people to just sit there and shut up?

Starting dozens of different threads is not a good way to give them feedback. I wanted to have the chance to give reasonable feedback, not starting dozens of threads all saying “omg I want necromancer to be the exact profession I want it to be, and I want it right now, even though this is totally counter to everything necromancer is and its impossible to make the changes I want in the amount of time!”.

People don’t understand what reasonable feedback means. Instead they want the game to be exactly what they want it to be, when they want it to be, without any consideration for anything else besides what they want. No understanding of priorities, of theme, of what game ANet is making, of how long changes take, or what is even reasonable to change.

I’m all for reasonable feedback. A lot of what has been going on is in absolutely no way reasonable.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

Starting dozens of different threads is not a good way to give them feedback. I wanted to have the chance to give reasonable feedback, not starting dozens of threads all saying “omg I want necromancer to be the exact profession I want it to be, and I want it right now, even though this is totally counter to everything necromancer is and its impossible to make the changes I want in the amount of time!”.

People don’t understand what reasonable feedback means. Instead they want the game to be exactly what they want it to be, when they want it to be, without any consideration for anything else besides what they want. No understanding of priorities, of theme, of what game ANet is making, of how long changes take, or what is even reasonable to change.

I’m all for reasonable feedback. A lot of what has been going on is in absolutely no way reasonable.

Those unreasonable posts and threads you’re talking about are a natural responses from the necromancer community. If anet at least reverted some change they made because of dhuumfire, I’ll agree with you. But, it simply wasn’t the case. It was only a quality of life change. Once again, necromancer are stuck in the same place, while every other professions except 2 of them got some significant buffs that furhter increase their builds diversity. Also, no offense Bhawb, but playing the part of the grande dame doesn’t help either.

(edited by Poplolita.2638)

in Profession Balance

Riccardo.7254

Those unreasonable posts and threads you’re talking about are a natural responses from the necromancer community. If anet at least reverted some change they made because of dhuumfire, I’ll agree with you. But, it simply wasn’t the case. It was only a quality of life change. Once again, necromancer are stuck in the same place, while every other professions except 2 of them got some significant buffs that furhter increase their builds diversity. Also, no offense Bhawb, but playing the part of the grande dame doesn’t help either.

you literally deserve an applause. chapeau.
if 2 people are complaining about the behaviour and response of the rest of the comminuty it’s not a whining issue but someone sorta defending at all costs the undefendable.
but hey..
2 things are sure in gw2:
-anet have ears just for “some very specific profession”’s playerbase feedback
-anet doesnt care too much about current “low end” professions because the meta is sorta stable and people will keep playing anyway their warriors,guardians,eles..

so let’s just wait some day and everyone will make it’s own decision

in Profession Balance

Apokriphos.7042

GW2 developers switched from GW1 massively customizable skill system to a more limited skills to weapons bind for GW2 for ease of balance. It is reasonable to assume that this would make their job easier in this game.

We can’t overstate how tough achieving true balance is. Grouch and the rest of the Balance Team have their work cut out for them.

However, I feel there are many ways to make their job easier. Quantifiable means to demonstrate class success in various Game Modes. John Smith frequently demonstrates his use of statistics to control the growth of the GW2 Marketplace.

Why can’t the same principle be put to use for Class Balance for the highest skilled modes?

Soloq and Teamq should have verifiable class distributions at the highest rankings. You see favored classes in Paid Tournaments, and I am sure developers can see this information too. Once this data is collated, can the developers see which classes are good, and which need help?

The same should be possible for high end dungeon runs based on the class distribution and time the instances are opened and closed. This data is already available through informal player polls.

Lastly, I imagine most developers would feel that players would always be incentivized to seek improvements for their favorite class to the detriment of others. Even including this doubt, Necromancer supporters are justified based on the aforementioned concrete player polls – specifically for Downed Skill Utility, for sPvp High End Tournaments, for High End Dungeon Runs.

I don’t know how many times I’ve seen high end dungeon requests that specifically say No Necromancers.

It is common knowledge among players that Necromancers need more help to be wanted in Skilled Team Play, the stated focus of GW2 for the future of ESports.

Developers, please take a second look at this class.

(edited by Apokriphos.7042)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sveeen Incandenza.5913

Sveeen Incandenza.5913

- make warhorn 4 a Blast finisher and add damage to it
- make well of suffering and well of Power fire-fields
- either make axe a melee-cleave, speed-up the auto-attack, make axe 3 a Blast finisher
- change warhorn 5 from cripple to vulnerability
- make putrid explosion a Blast finisher
- make Lich-form smaller on screen so that the player can still see the mob directly in front of him ^^ Also: make dodging in Lich-Form better visible.
- Lower cooldowns on all wells and on marks
- Make Focus 4 grant fury rather than regeneration
- Some of the (many, many) useless traits should be exchanged for damage multipliers
- Furious Demise should work on allies, not just on self (and then probably moved up the tree a bit)
- Move the traits that affect melee-dps-weapons to the trait-trees Spite and Curses

That´s some ideas…

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

- change warhorn 5 from cripple to vulnerability

No! No no no no no no. This is a terrible idea. Locust Swarm is currently the epitome of sticking skills. Changing it from Cripple to Vulnerability is a nerf so massive that it cannot even pretend to fulfill that role anymore.

- make putrid explosion a Blast finisher

Got news for ya, bub. It has been since beta.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Well power stacking builds can actually put out some very good DPS. Problem with them is they lack the Persistent AOE that condition builds have access to.

If that problem were solved & Necro’s were to have access to a ranged power build weapon then there would be more reason to bring them.
I have suggested in the past that they simply put an addendum on to Axe Training “Also increases the range of axe attacks by 300”

This would get rid of the later problem.

It would also help if they would further look at fixing/improving/buffing the bloodmagic line so that Necro support & tankyness is more viable.