Fixing the issue with stealth and friends

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Joel.8215

Joel.8215

There are four non-removable states. Stealth, distortion, stability, and invulnerablity.

Now tho they are not technically boons, my suggestion would have them treated as boons. Now none of us want them to be easily removed so my suggestion is that they be treated the same way certain combo skills are treated. To do this, they would be considered Superior Boons, and when effected by a boone remover they would have a 20% chance to be removed.

So a stealthed thief who is null fielded better get out or every second it has a chance to remove his stealth.

This would stop 1 thief from trolling 6 people so easily (although im sure its not easy to chain that much stealth for the average player, but i see it so much its crazy).

For distortion or invuln, only non-attack boon removers would work obviously.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Stability can be boon stripped. The other three as you mentioned have no direct counter (except sic em for stealth).

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dammerung.6419

Dammerung.6419

I don’t think any of these things are an issue.

Stability is a boon that can be stripped. Smart players will strip the boon before going for dazes, stuns, knockbacks etc.

Stealth isn’t as “god mode” as it is made out to be. Channeled skills can still hit, AOE still hits, cleave still hits, and conditions still tick. The 2 classes that use stealth can be extremely squishy, and they need these skills to survive an encounter. Yes, a single thief or mesmer can harass a group, but it really is a skill check. They’ll go after the weakest link and if they can’t down them, they will leave to find another prey. The easiest kills for these types of players are the ones that don’t know what they are doing.

Distortion/invulnerable skills all have lengthy cooldowns. Good players will use it situationally to escape, to protect their burst damage (or a stomp), or to mitigate bursts against them. I see nothing wrong with how these skills are implemented.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Joel.8215

Joel.8215

Too many thiefs are doing this trolling for it to be just “skill check”. Your right, stealth isn’t god mode, but in my opinion it is being abused. Leaving combat freely and coming back in 30 seconds to try and get lucky is not skill. I have spent upwards of 10 mins at a time fighting one thief with 3 people constantly, because i can’t land enough hits before the thief stealths and runs away till his health is back up.

If anet is going to nerf vigor abilities to get rid of the amount of dodges people do, they should do something about stealth as most thiefs i run into spend more time in it than out.

As for stability I was unaware as i don’t rely heavily upon it, my mistake.

My inclusion of distortion and invuln was only to balance out the scales, as a straight up nerf to stealth wouldnt be fair to thiefs. If stealth is removable, so should be others.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

A suggestion I heard a long time ago that I thought was interesting for stealth:

Have light fields apply revealed to someone stealthed. It would have a very minor influence on pvp (most thieves don’t really prey on guardians anyway), but could be very useful in wvw where stealth trolling is rampant.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

give thieves survivability and they will stop going in stealth

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Stealth has plenty “counters”. Or rather, it’s effects can be circumvented in a fair few ways. The easiest is to just keep attacking. Any non-targeted ability including all melee attacks work just the same.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

They should change GW2 stealth to be like DAOC stealth in that you can stay stealthed until you need to attack, but once you attack you cannot re-stealth until you are out of combat. Obviously it would need some tweaking…

IMO this would put stealth in a better position for all involved.. if a stealther messes up you should be able to make them pay – it’s really not the case at the moment unless you get super lucky with your AOE spams…

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dammerung.6419

Dammerung.6419

Too many thiefs are doing this trolling for it to be just “skill check”.

A lot of people doing something isn’t an argument against stealth.

Your right, stealth isn’t god mode, but in my opinion it is being abused. Leaving combat freely and coming back in 30 seconds to try and get lucky is not skill. I have spent upwards of 10 mins at a time fighting one thief with 3 people constantly, because i can’t land enough hits before the thief stealths and runs away till his health is back up.

It seems to me that your issue isn’t with stealth, but with the thief mechanic of initiative rather than cooldowns. It is only exasperated further because of the high stealth up-keep that they can achieve.