Most Effective Ranged Profession (PvE)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Hater.5807

Hater.5807

Q:

What is the most effective profession for a ranged style of play in PvE content?

I understand that builds may have to change depending on world content, dungeons, or fractals, but I want to be able to play a ranged style regardless to the type of PvE content.

I’m interested in playing one of the Adventurer professions, and I have given all three of them a test drive through some of the lower level content (between levels 15 and 20). I enjoyed facets of all of them, but I want to settle on one profession and really dig into it.

I don’t want to play a profession just because I like the style of play, and struggle because it is not a solid build. Yet, I also don’t want to play a style I don’t like because it is considered the current meta build.

Here are my impressions from doing a little bit of research on each profession, as well as my low-level experiences. The weapon(s) I primary used are in parenthesis.

• Ranger (Longbow): Fun, but I am concerned that too much of my DPS is tied to a pet that I have little control over.
  • Thief (Shortbow and Dual-Pistols): Also fun, but in my short time playing this toon I found myself dying a lot.
  • Engineer (Rifle and Turrets): I had a lot of fun with turrets and a rifle, but sort of backed away from the character after reading about how difficult of a profession it is to play.

Back when I was playing WoW there wasn’t a choice in style of play. If you were a Hunter you used a ranged weapon. If you were a Rogue you used daggers. With all of the choices available in GW2 I want to play a style I enjoy and still be highly effective.

Thank you in advance.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Those are not strong ranged choices for PvE. I don’t know what an ‘adventurer’ profession is. Is that code for medium armor? I imagine Elementalist or Rifle Warrior are out of the question?

Of those 3, the Ranger is the strongest sustained damage for ranged combat. Keep in mind that isn’t saying much as the longbow is still about half as valuable as the sword.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

To answer the bolded question, warrior. It’s sad but until they design some inventive pve mechanics that don’t rely on heavy armor classes using zerker-like builds warrior will remain on top. Ranger dps ranger might compete but effectively warrior would win because they can bring defenses in and still pull off high damage with rifle. It feels like all the pve content is balanced on anet’s favorite class :/

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Those are not strong ranged choices for PvE. I don’t know what an ‘adventurer’ profession is. Is that code for medium armor? I imagine Elementalist or Rifle Warrior are out of the question?

Of those 3, the Ranger is the strongest sustained damage for ranged combat. Keep in mind that isn’t saying much as the longbow is still about half as valuable as the sword.

…..

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Adventurer
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Soldier
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scholar

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

So it was code for medium armor afterall.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

To answer the bolded question, warrior. It’s sad but until they design some inventive pve mechanics that don’t rely on heavy armor classes using zerker-like builds warrior will remain on top. Ranger dps ranger might compete but effectively warrior would win because they can bring defenses in and still pull off high damage with rifle. It feels like all the pve content is balanced on anet’s favorite class :/

I agree with you that Warrior is a better ranged profession than ranger.

People need to stop the “favorite class” bs though. Warrior is a pretty balanced profession, it’s not alone. Right now elementalist is also up there. Other classes simply need quality of life changes (not buffs) to bring them up to that level. The big changes that made warrior so strong lately were all just little things. That and they keep changing where they want professions to go, like giving guardians all of this condi damage but only one condi. Imagine how balanced guardians would be if they had access to some respectable conditions.

I don’t think Anet has a favorite class, it’s just that some classes have an obvious direction they are moving in. While it’s obvious that some of the devs have no freaking clue where they want other professions to go. Do they want guardian to be a condi tank? Do they want guardian to be a control setup (pretty useless in pve anyway)? With the last patch they fixed a bunch of things with ele, and hopefully they will get around to addressing other issues.

This relates to the OP because on my ranger I really feel like Anet has no clue where they want that profession to go. I make it work because I really like ranger, but it’s no where near as effective as some of the other professions. They need to either go “o.k. we want these guys to be a master of ranged combat” and then give them the tools, or better yet just provide power rangers with the tools to make that choice on their own. As for damage being tied to a pet with bad ai, yes it is. That sucks, and I wish that they could simply give rangers more tools to help with their pets since fixing the AI seems to be impossible.

in Profession Balance

Chrispy.5641

People need to stop the “favorite class” bs though. Warrior is a pretty balanced profession, it’s not alone. Right now elementalist is also up there. Other classes simply need quality of life changes (not buffs) to bring them up to that level. The big changes that made warrior so strong lately were all just little things. That and they keep changing where they want professions to go, like giving guardians all of this condi damage but only one condi. Imagine how balanced guardians would be if they had access to some respectable conditions.

I don’t think Anet has a favorite class, it’s just that some classes have an obvious direction they are moving in. While it’s obvious that some of the devs have no freaking clue where they want other professions to go. Do they want guardian to be a condi tank? Do they want guardian to be a control setup (pretty useless in pve anyway)? With the last patch they fixed a bunch of things with ele, and hopefully they will get around to addressing other issues.

This relates to the OP because on my ranger I really feel like Anet has no clue where they want that profession to go. I make it work because I really like ranger, but it’s no where near as effective as some of the other professions. They need to either go “o.k. we want these guys to be a master of ranged combat” and then give them the tools, or better yet just provide power rangers with the tools to make that choice on their own. As for damage being tied to a pet with bad ai, yes it is. That sucks, and I wish that they could simply give rangers more tools to help with their pets since fixing the AI seems to be impossible.

There is two things Anet can do that wouldn’t involve deleting the pet or giving Rangers the much asked for permastow option that, in effect, deletes pets anyways.

Either untether all companions and Pets from standard Enemy AI, give them their own AI, and actually make them more threatening than the mob they were based on, or balance the Ranger around the fact that the pet AI doesn’t work under utopian conditions, and probably never will.

in Profession Balance

GSSBlunaspike.4153

There is two things Anet can do that wouldn’t involve deleting the pet or giving Rangers the much asked for permastow option that, in effect, deletes pets anyways.

Either untether all companions and Pets from standard Enemy AI, give them their own AI, and actually make them more threatening than the mob they were based on, or balance the Ranger around the fact that the pet AI doesn’t work under utopian conditions, and probably never will.

I wish so bad that they would go with the first. I would love to have my pet feel more like an actual player rather than just a dumb mob. Even if they did add a way to perma stow him I wouldn’t. That cat has been with me from day 1 (literally) and I would delete my character before getting rid of him. I’m probably in the minority, but he feels as much a part of my character as my armor.

I also wish they would make Master’s Bond not screw up if I step into the water. It’s the same kitten pet anyway. Sorry, I’m starting to rant. That is no good for anyone.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Grenade Engineer and staff elementalist are the two choices that can power out a lot of ranged damage. Staff ele is some of the best dps in the game with the fire auto, lava font and meteor shower. Pretty much any other ranged choice is weak in this game, though if you don’t care for efficiency or speed running dungeons (by playing ranged classes which aren’t the two I specified you basically ostracise yourself from any speed run) you can basically play whatever looks the coolest to you.[/quote]

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

None of the “Adventurer” classes are the best in ranged. Elementalist takes the cake on that one, with warrior coming in second.

As an aside: Ranged in this game is far less effective in PvE as opposed to Melee. All high content groups will want you to melee and not range because it is easy to melee and the damage is much higher. Also a lot of the AI reacts differently when ranged (Lupi will bubble you/teleport if ranged, won’t do that if you melee). You are welcome to play however you want, but just as an FYI a lot of PvE is “stacking” mentality and people get upset when you ranged. Every dungeon in this game uses stacking to do it efficiently and people will expect you to stack. So just keep that in mind when making your decision.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

in Profession Balance

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Please don’t spread misinformation, engineer is very good with grenades, warrior ranged dps isn’t even close to it.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Good ranged-only play? Hrm…

Above all else, Engineer I suppose. Grenades really pack a punch, scale well if you got to defend yourself in melee range, work amazing in material warfare and player combat alike, and also feature premiere damage in PvE.

Next up I suppose Warrior could do a lot of harm. Problem here is PvE, their ranged options are rather PvP centric. Same with Mesmers.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Profession Balance

Chrispy.5641

I wish so bad that they would go with the first. I would love to have my pet feel more like an actual player rather than just a dumb mob. Even if they did add a way to perma stow him I wouldn’t. That cat has been with me from day 1 (literally) and I would delete my character before getting rid of him. I’m probably in the minority, but he feels as much a part of my character as my armor.

I also wish they would make Master’s Bond not screw up if I step into the water. It’s the same kitten pet anyway. Sorry, I’m starting to rant. That is no good for anyone.

You should take some time to read the Ranger CDI topic if you haven’t. It might take several hours, but the discussion between the players and Anet over this very issue was….interesting.

What is the most effective profession for a ranged style of play in PvE content?

back to the actual topic….

Staff Elementalist is best, if you can get around the fact they are so glassy and anyone (even many enemy npc’s) can close the ranged gap in this game in about 2 seconds.

Grenade Engineers are second best, when you get skilled enough with aiming the aoe’s. Rifles are okay, but it doesn’t really have a singular focus, (much like most other two handed weapons in this game). If you want to try close range (while still technically using a ranged weapon), try the Flamethrower. I know there are some nasty builds out there that use that.

There aren’t many ranged Thieves that I’ve played against, and all of them I haven’t had much trouble with, even with a Ranger that everyone says is inferior at everything. In actual PvE, I have never even seen one.

Warriors are good with everything, and that isn’t going to change anytime soon.

Rangers can be good at ranged, but playing a Ranger is harder because of the DPS/utility/everything else split with the pet. You have to make effective use of both master and pet, or invest so far into one that the other is pretty much useless (at least at damage).

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Please don’t spread misinformation, engineer is very good with grenades, warrior ranged dps isn’t even close to it.

warrior ranged DPS isn’t even close to LB ranger (despite the LB being weaker due to pet).

Engi is good, but AFAIK, bombs are better then nades any day. Only nade i know hurt is the AA and F# nades….

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Mian.1945

Mian.1945

Pure PvE? Pure ranged?

If its PVE you’re assuming a glass build therefore staff Elementalist by a long long way. The sheer AoE DPS is enormous, plus you get all the heals and CC skills as well.

Glass ranger is probably second best and really good for bosses.

This is after playing all 8 classes to 80 through both PVE and WvW.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

ranger lacks aoe,
thief lacks range,
engi relies on ground targetted aoe which can get a little annoying.

overall i’d say ranger will deal the most single target damage and thief will deal the highest aoe damage (with shortbow)

but as everyone has said, if you’re not totally determined to play the medium armour classes then you should try an ele

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Anomaly.7612

Anomaly.7612

None of the “Adventurer” classes are the best in ranged. Elementalist takes the cake on that one, with warrior coming in second.

As an aside: Ranged in this game is far less effective in PvE as opposed to Melee. All high content groups will want you to melee and not range because it is easy to melee and the damage is much higher. Also a lot of the AI reacts differently when ranged (Lupi will bubble you/teleport if ranged, won’t do that if you melee). You are welcome to play however you want, but just as an FYI a lot of PvE is “stacking” mentality and people get upset when you ranged. Every dungeon in this game uses stacking to do it efficiently and people will expect you to stack. So just keep that in mind when making your decision.

What if a staff Ele were to be within melee range, but still using a staff? Is it merely the range at which people are standing, or the kind of weapon they’re using?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

One we know is

Certainly not a “Ranger”

ba dum tss

I would say Engineer.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Profession Balance

Carighan.6758

I think the premise is a bit flawed. When would you actually need a purely-ranged approach to PvE? The only situation I can think of would be world bosses.

Low and behold, for that it’s definitely Engineer. Two reasons:

• Grenades, with trait, have 1500 range. Very good direct damage, can pick HGH on top for lots of boons, good survivability since nothing can hit you.
  • (don’t laugh, we’re talking a world-boss-spec here) healing bombs + traited mortar. Bombs are amazing for group situations, but you can go fully ranged with the Mortar, 1500 range, lots of AE fields, lots of support, Healing Turret healing people while you fire. Damage is comparatively low but hey, world bosses.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Profession Balance

GSSBlunaspike.4153

I think the premise is a bit flawed. When would you actually need a purely-ranged approach to PvE? The only situation I can think of would be world bosses.

Low and behold, for that it’s definitely Engineer. Two reasons:

• Grenades, with trait, have 1500 range. Very good direct damage, can pick HGH on top for lots of boons, good survivability since nothing can hit you.
  • (don’t laugh, we’re talking a world-boss-spec here) healing bombs + traited mortar. Bombs are amazing for group situations, but you can go fully ranged with the Mortar, 1500 range, lots of AE fields, lots of support, Healing Turret healing people while you fire. Damage is comparatively low but hey, world bosses.

Other than maybe jormag is there any world boss that mele stacking isn’t better. It’s even better on FE.

in Profession Balance

Carighan.6758

Nah, stacking is pretty much always better. But that being said, you’re not always in melee range on Tequatl, and on most bosses most players find it easier to be ranged. In dungeons that’s not an option because everyone else is in melee.