New combo field/finisher anti-stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: philheat.3956

philheat.3956

So, we know stealth is op in this game and there is no counter to stealth but i think would be interesting to create a new combo field / finisher anti-stealth.

To promote collaboration between classes, this combo finisher should be only available between 2 different classes, not possible to make alone.

For example, this combo could work in this way:

New Big field (with big radius) and new finisher: when some profession (different from the field owner) uses his new finisher (or old finisher and new field) in the big field, every players stealthed in the area get the reveal debuff.

It’s only an example, anet could create new cool effects.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Stealth isn’t OP because players with some experience and common sense can shut down anyone who uses it.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: silentnight warrior.2714

silentnight warrior.2714

This is a good Ideia. I hope they do it. Its a counter to shadow refuge / stealth ress.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

This is a good Ideia. I hope they do it. Its a counter to shadow refuge / stealth ress.

Staggering blow on the combo field.
There you go you learned to play now you dont have to make these posts anymore.

in Profession Balance

philheat.3956

Thx, there are many situations where stealth (especially stealth aoe) is very power full, over all initial inc. where the only counter to stealth is stealth itself, aoe stealth ress etc.

I think could be an interesting mechanic because promote coordination between members and teamplay.

Of course anti stealth is only an example, i think new effects generate by new cross-combo field/finisher could improve teamplay in general.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: godz raiden.2631

godz raiden.2631

Thx, there are many situations where stealth (especially stealth aoe) is very power full, over all initial inc. where the only counter to stealth is stealth itself, aoe stealth ress etc.

I think could be an interesting mechanic because promote coordination between members and teamplay.

Of course anti stealth is only an example, i think new effects generate by new cross-combo field/finisher could improve teamplay in general.

Where would this anti-stealth combo field be useful exactly? In WvW roaming? Probably not, since any stealth thief in WvW is most likely going to be smart enough not to sit on enemy AoE/combo fields anyway. sPvP? Definitely not, stealth builds already suck in that game mode. PvE? Of course not.

Aside from that, I still don’t understand how players can’t see what the counter to stealth mechanics are. The reason why stealth is strong, especially for the thief class, is because it acts as the class’ offensive AND defensive mechanic. If there were hard counters to stealth than you negate the ability to stop a thief from doing literally anything in stealth builds. Congrats, you just narrowed build and class diversity down more. The counter play to stealth comes in the form of being aggressive with CC while the stealth is out of stealth in an attempt to prevent the thief from entering stealth. If a thief enters stealth, it’s generally his opponent’s fault for not being more proactive in stopping him from doing so.

It’s not like once a thief enters stealth he becomes invulnerable either. If you play a class with any AoE at all you can just dump it at your feet and scare the thief off of you and force him to try and enter stealth again (which drains more of his initiative generally forcing him into an even weaker position in the fight). There’s counterplay to stealth guys, you just have to be willing to see it and learn it.

Also, stealth doesn’t counter stealth. Going stealth while your enemy is stealth simply brings the net gain from both involved parties to zero. That’s not a counter. Counter play results in one person gaining the upperhand over the other. Stealthing when an enemy stealths simply means you are both still equal. You are both denied advantage.

Godz Raiden (Thief)
Maguuma

(edited by godz raiden.2631)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

wouldn’t it be easier to add a short Revealed to the effects made on Light Fields?
it would make sense too because light combats shadows.

(for example the aoe retaliation from Blast Finishers could apply 1 second of revealed to enemies)

in Profession Balance

philheat.3956

wouldn’t it be easier to add a short Revealed to the effects made on Light Fields?

(for example the aoe retaliation from Blast Finishers could apply 1 second of revealed to enemies)

Yeah, light field sounds really good to be an anti-shadow

And i’d rework whirl finisher (it’s pretty bad like it is now) or add new combo finisher.

Better to avoid 2 effects on the same finisher.

in Profession Balance

silentnight warrior.2714

This is a good Ideia.
I would change that to light fields could cause revealed on stealth targets. The stealth character can still avoid the light field but it gives some kind of control to the character who uses and places the light field.
Nice one

in Profession Balance

Posted by: maeggle.6021

maeggle.6021

And i’d rework whirl finisher (it’s pretty bad like it is now) or add new combo finisher.

It is one of the best combo effects in a group fight if you know when to use it.

In group fights stealth is not that big of an issue — none for which I’d like to have such a hard counter anyways (though “Sick ’em!” is a nice single-target niche skill). Most party compositions can live without access to stealth and still deal with it efficiently. All classes which allow a party to gain stealth (thief, mesmer & engineer in land combat) are easily locked down by both hard and soft CC after they used their long-cooldown defensive spells. The initial burst from stealth can be overwhelming sometimes, but most times one is crying about stealth it is just a l2p issue, bad team composition, or an outnumbered fight which is always in favour of the team outnumbering their enemies anyways. In every other situation stealth is fine imho (or at least manageable with anti-stealth traps if we’re talking about D/P SA thieves hiding in keeps in WvW).

Kodash [DE] – Ninja Nurse Rescue Squad [care] – Elementalist
A landing you can walk away from just wasn’t fast enough.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: soloez.5910

soloez.5910

This is a good Ideia.
I would change that to light fields could cause revealed on stealth targets. The stealth character can still avoid the light field but it gives some kind of control to the character who uses and places the light field.
Nice one

Water fields :
How do you walk into a Water field with out leave foot print ?
A : Nanomachine

Fire fields :
How do you remain in stealth when your body is burning ?
Not even solid snake can do that.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

This is a good Ideia.
Nice one

Water fields :

Fire fields :

How do you take more than 1-2 stabs/slashes/arrows/hits-from-gaint-hammers-to-the-head(skull crack) and keep living?

o.o How do you even use water fields, do you like have to have a bucket full of water with you all the time? And how the hell does water on the ground heal me anyways? What is it, like magic?

Dis game, sense no make.

(I see what you tried to do there… trying to apply physics and logic to a game with “magic”, in an attempt to get what you want. I would say your attempt is less clever and more devious than the homeless person in the picture below. At least he needs it for science! And if you don’t read the last word, he’s being very truthful.)

Attachments:

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Kirby.9138

Kirby.9138

Stealths not OP but a blast on light field should probably reveal.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

This is a good Ideia.
Nice one

Water fields :

Fire fields :

Really cool idea

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Stealths not OP but a blast on light field should probably reveal.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Symbol_of_Protection (Guard hammer auto attack, light field)
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mighty_Blow (Guard Hammer #2, Blast Finisher, CD 5 sec)

Permanent Revealed…..

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Profession Balance

soloez.5910

This is a good Ideia.
Nice one

Water fields :

Fire fields :

How do you take more than 1-2 stabs/slashes/arrows/hits-from-gaint-hammers-to-the-head(skull crack) and keep living?

o.o How do you even use water fields, do you like have to have a bucket full of water with you all the time? And how the hell does water on the ground heal me anyways? What is it, like magic?

Dis game, sense no make.

(I see what you tried to do there… trying to apply physics and logic to a game with “magic”, in an attempt to get what you want. I would say your attempt is less clever and more devious than the homeless person in the picture below. At least he needs it for science! And if you don’t read the last word, he’s being very truthful.)

Alternately ‘magic’ works the other way around as well, makes water; fire; light to reveal.

How do you create water field:
By spitting saliva into air and ground, then expend the water molecule to cover a large area. Its ‘magic’ , the saliva on ground licks your wound to heals you, again is magic.

BTW, any arguments you have goes both ways works against you, we all try to make sense and no sense to get what we want and what we don’t want. You are less clever and less truthful then the homeless guy in your picture, which in turn make you a double standard hypocrite.

Please read your “Philosophy for dummies”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Yes, please nerf SR so that the slot it uses is freed up when I am no longer obliged to take this utility for rezzing you. Thx.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Tiresias.6473

Tiresias.6473

So, we know stealth is op in this game and there is no counter to stealth…

This is an opinion, not something we “all know”.

Also, the two classes with ready access to the stealth mechanic (Thieves and Mesmers) rely on that mechanic as their primary defense mechanism. What is your proposal to maintain the viability of these two classes in large-scale PvP if we start weakening this essential class mechanic?

Main character: Winter Harvest (Necromancer)
[BICE] Black Ice / Maguuma Server

in Profession Balance

soloez.5910

So, we know stealth is op in this game and there is no counter to stealth…

This is an opinion, not something we “all know”.

Also, the two classes with ready access to the stealth mechanic (Thieves and Mesmers) rely on that mechanic as their primary defense mechanism. What is your proposal to maintain the viability of these two classes in large-scale PvP if we start weakening this essential class mechanic?

You are right, but not only that is their defense mechanism its also an offense mechanism. Thief have total control of when and where to fight stealth also gives +critical chance +damage(backstab); gain initiative; +movement speed. PU Mesmer stealth and let the clone do the job. We might start look at all class mechanic as well.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: soistheman.7208

soistheman.7208

the best anti-stealth suggestion!

Elementalist lover since GW1. It’s the only profession I play!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

the best anti-thief suggestion!

fixed*

That’s what you guys REALLY want.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I don’t like the idea of revealing a thief when he’s already in stealth. That’s just too harsh against the class and would break it entirely. The idea behind Sic’ Em is to use it prior to a thief stealthing, allowing you to gain the upper hand while still giving the thief counterplay opportunities. There’s no counterplay in Rock beats Scissors always.

If we’re going to go down this route, whirl finishers would be broken in that it takes no real skill to use in a light field and does not designate a target to gain effectiveness. Leap finishers through light fields, however, are single-target and require proper positioning and timing to hit a target, and can be dodged without another coming in quick succession. A single-target revealed via Leap finisher through a Light field would be the optimal choice to apply Revealed to a target and balance stealth in regards to other classes, forcing thieves to play a bit more defensively with stealth than it current stands with stealth being a full-on offensive tactic. Mesmers, guardians, and engineers would all have self-access to apply revealed, while most other classes have a leap finisher or light field to use or for allies to use on stealthed targets.

TL;DR: AoE Revealed is too strong against stealthed opponents, single target revealed opens the opportunity for meaningful decisions and skillful counterplay.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

Idea:

All light fields have a red circle.
If thief enters a light field, he gets revealed after X seconds regardless of if he attacks.

Get in quick and attack.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ptolomy.6984

Ptolomy.6984

Idea:

If thief enters a light field, he gets revealed after X seconds regardless of if he attacks.

Get in quick and attack.

What if they still keep their stealth in the lightfield but are just visible. They still get the bonusses they get from stealth traits but enemies can see them as long as they are in a lightfield.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Katran.9186

Katran.9186

Stealth isn’t even near to be OP but this idea is pretty cool.

in Profession Balance

silentnight warrior.2714

Idea:

Get in quick and attack.

Thats a good sugestion.