New trait points and other trait stuff

in Profession Balance

Posted by: OutOfMyMind.9613

OutOfMyMind.9613

Q:

Just read about the new trait points that will be introduced in the update that will be coming on April 15th.
—-
“…We’re condensing trait points so that each point will be the equivalent of five of the old points. This means that at level 80, you’ll have 14 points to assign instead of 70. You’ll start acquiring points at level 30, when the adept trait tier is unlocked, then you’ll earn one trait point every six levels until level 66, when you’ll start earning two trait points at a time…”
——
Just trying to figure out how this will work!!! Below is the only way the numbers come out to 14.
Level 30 – 1 point
Level 36 – 1 more point
Level 42 – 1 more point
Level 48 – 1 more point
Level 54 – 1 more point
Level 60 – 1 more point (6 total)
Level 65/66? – 2 more points
Level 70/72? – 2 more points
Level 75/78? – 2 more points
Level 80 – 2 more points (14 total)

Also wondering about means of unlocking major traits.
—-
“…Major traits will now be unlocked via traits guides, a new in-game item. Double-clicking on a trait guide will unlock its associated trait. You can find trait guides by completing specific content in the world, like story dungeons, minidungeons, WvW, personal story, specific bosses, and discovering certain areas on the world map….”
—-
So if we are on a character that has completed all their personal story the trait associated with that guide has to be bought?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

So if we are on a character that has completed all their personal story the trait associated with that guide has to be bought?

Completely wild presumption; NPCs associated with that story mission will go “oh hey commander how are you” and then you’ll go “hey man can I please have that trait book? i don’t have it” and they’ll go “this won’t end well.”

Alternatively, characters which already exist will have all of the traits they have access to unlocked. Except for the new ones of course but it’s doubtful that they’ll require you to do personal story missions just for the sake of avoiding this problem.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Alternatively, characters which already exist will have all of the traits they have access to unlocked. Except for the new ones of course but it’s doubtful that they’ll require you to do personal story missions just for the sake of avoiding this problem.

From the blog post:

Unlocking Traits

All major traits will be locked on characters created after the feature pack. All existing characters created before this feature pack will be have all previously existing major traits unlocked.

Bolded for emphasis.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Since all existing characters have all existing traits unlocked automatically… It doesn’t matter where you are at in the personal story. You already have anything it would grant.

The only way it would matter is if some of the 40 new traits were acquired that way… which would be a huge hassle/mildly stupid. So either it automatically grants it because you finished up in the past or they just didn’t link new ones to Personal Story. My guess would be they avoided making a mess for themselves in the first place…

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

Please dont bring more traharne-ness to this forum we already know this wont end well

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Please dont bring more traharne-ness to this forum we already know this wont end well

You’re right.

Moving on.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

I like it how they say they are trying to make I easier for new players to understand traits when in fact the current system is already so easy to understand in the first place.

Its needless change IMO

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

What I see is that uplevels progression will be even slower…
and I have no understanding of the apparent randomness of the levels at which one earns points… Would it not have been simpler to keep it pretty much the same way, with a 1 point awarded for each 5 level up, instead of making their acquisition somewhat exponential?