[PvX] Adding Elites to satisfy role niches

in Profession Balance

Posted by: KinkyPotato.4219

KinkyPotato.4219

PROBLEMS WITH CURRENT ELITES

-exceedingly long cooldowns make some of these abilities worthless
-most traits do not impact elites
-elites feel like one time abilities, “oh kitten” buttons that you rarely press throughout the game
-transformation elites deny access to utilities/healing and feel punishing to cast at times
-most elites serve no purpose in tying builds/roles together or rarely have synergy with a player’s build due to being too broad
-the below list will contain a few proposed elites (1 for Guardian, 2 for Ranger, 3 for Mesmer, 3 for Necromancer, 3 for Elementalist) that provide examples as to how elites can help fill in role niches
-the idea behind this list is that new elites should complement the core role of each UTILITY TYPE available to professions (for example: Guardian Shouts=Support…elite shout that assists in supporting, Necromancer Spectrals= Selfish Defense…elite spectral that assists the necro in surviving, Mesmer Glamours=Utility…elite glamour that assists in providing offensive and defensive utility…etc)

I’d like to state in advance that these suggestions are not definite and should not be criticized based on numbers. Feedback surrounding the core idea would be most suited and appreciated. Feel free to comment and also add your own elite concepts to professions not covered in the list!

NEW PROPOSED ELITE CONCEPTS

Guardian
1) “Shields Up”- Your next protection boon now stacks in intensity, for a total of 66% damage reduction, as well as in duration.
Type – Shout
Recharge- 45 seconds
Duration-5 seconds

-solidifies the role of the shout guardian as a support specialized in granting protection to his allies

Ranger
1) Barbed Trap- Set a trap that reveals, knocks down, cripples and applies 3 stacks of bleeding. This ability can be cast three times before going on cooldown.
Type-Trap
Recharge- 60 seconds
Charges- 3
Trap Radius- 360
Effective Radius- 420
Reveal- 3 seconds
Knock down- 1.5 seconds
Cripple- 3 seconds
Bleeding (3 stacks)- 3 seconds
Unblockable

-solidifies the role of the trap ranger as an offensive condition spec specializing in anti-stealth

2) “For Melandru!”- Instead of attacking, your pet will protect you and your allies by absorbing all direct damage they would have taken. The pet is immune to direct damage during this time. Once protected, allies cannot be protected again for 20 seconds.
Type- Shout
Recharge- 45 seconds
Duration- 3 seconds
Radius- 600
Prevents Capture-Point Contribution
Breaks Stun

-solidifies the role of the shout ranger as a defensive support that relies on commanding its pet to provide beneficial effects

(edited by KinkyPotato.4219)

in Profession Balance

KinkyPotato.4219

Mesmer
1)Mantra of Lyssa- Meditate, charging a spell that will grant all boons to nearby allies.
Type-Mantra
Recharge – 60 seconds
Cast time- 2.75 seconds
Sequence- Mantra of Lyssa ? Power Blessing
Number of Casts- 2

Power Blessing- Grant all boons to nearby allies for 5 seconds.
Number of targets- 5
Radius- 360
Recharge- 5 seconds

-solidifies the role of the mantra mesmer as a support

2) Echoing Delusions- Your next Phantasm summoning ability summons an additional phantasm of the same type to attack your foe.
Type- Manipulation
Recharge- 45 seconds

-solidifies the role of the manipulation mesmer to confuse and deal heavy amounts of damage to enemies

3) Shatter Storm- Create a Shatter Storm at target area that pulses every second, removing 2 boons, preventing enemies inside the storm from being the target of boons, and inflicting cripple and 3 stacks of confusion per pulse for 5 seconds.
Type-Glamour
Recharge-90 seconds
Cast Time-2 seconds
Confusion (3 stacks) per pulse – 2 seconds
Cripple per pulse– 2 seconds
Number of Targets – 5
Pulse Interval – 1 second
Radius – 360
Duration – 5 seconds
Prevents Boons
Combo Field – Ethereal
Unblockable

-solidifies the role of glamour mesmers as debilitating enemies with harmful conditions and boon removal

Necromancer
1) Ravenous Swarm- Summon a swarm of ravens that strike out at up to 5 nearby enemies. Each raven steals life and heals the necromancer for half the damage dealt. Gain life force as well upon successful healing.
Type- Spectral
Duration- 6 seconds
Recharge- 45 seconds
Radius of Ravens- 600
Life Force Gain- 2%

-solidifies the role of spectrals as abilities used to contribute to the Necromancer’s tankiness and allowing them to succeed in attrition warfare

2) Grenth’s Feast- Apply Torment on yourself. Transform all boons from up to 5 enemies in target area into negative conditions.
Type- Corruption
Recharge – 90 seconds
Number of Targets – 5
Range- 1200
Radius – 600
Unblockable

-solidifies the role of the Corruption Necro as debilitating enemies with harmful conditions and boon removal

3) Well of the Profane- Instantly convert all conditions on yourself and allies into boons. Target area pulses, granting stability and regeneration every second, converting conditions on allies into boons, and granting Leech every second.
Type – Well
Stability per pulse – 2 seconds
Regeneration per pulse- 2 seconds
Leech per pulse – Your next attack steals 975(+0.4) health while in combat.
Conditions Converted to Boons per pulse– 1
Number of Targets – 5
Pulse Interval – 1 second
Duration – 5 seconds
Recharge – 90 seconds
Radius – 240
Breaks stun
Combo Field- Dark

-solidifies the role of the Well Necromancer as a support specializing in condition manipulation and lifestealing

in Profession Balance

KinkyPotato.4219

Elementalist
1) Arcane Quickening – Your next ability is instant cast.
Type – Arcane
Recharge – 45 seconds
Duration – 3 seconds

-solidifies the role of the Arcane Elementalist as a self-empowering burster

2) Stone Sheath – Surround yourself in a stone sheath, weakening foes that strike you (only once per second for each attacker) and granting yourself protection, stability, and immunity to critical hits.
Type- Cantrip
Recharge – 90 seconds
Duration- 5 seconds
Protection- 5 seconds
Stability- 5 seconds
Stone Sheath – Gain immunity to critical hits and weaken foes that strike you (weakness duration: 3 seconds, only once per second for each attacker) for 5 seconds
Breaks stun

Chain Ability: Detonate your Stone Sheath to inflict damage, 10 seconds of weakness, cripple, and 5 stacks of bleed in a 360 radius around you.

-solidifies the role of the cantrips as defensive cooldowns that aid the Elementalist in surviving

3) Signet of Elemental Essence-
Passive: Grants a boon associated with your current attunement every 10 seconds to yourself and all nearby allies in a 240 radius (Fire-Might for 5 seconds, Water- Regeneration for 5 seconds, Air- Swiftness for 5 seconds, Earth- Protection for 3 seconds).
Active: Swirl an aura around you in a 360 radius for 5 seconds that grants different effects associated with your current attunement.
Fire Attunement – A flame aura erupts around you in a 360 radius for 5 seconds, dealing immense damage and burning every second.
Water Attunement – A wave erupts around you in a 360 radius for 5 seconds, healing nearby allies and cleansing a condition every second.
Air Attunement – A swirling aura erupts around you in a 360 radius for 5 seconds; dealing damage, destroying projectiles and blinding every second.
Earth Attunement- A shockwave erupts around you in a 360 radius for 5 seconds; dealing low damage, crippling, and stacking 3 stacks of bleed every second.

Type – Signet
Recharge- 60 seconds
Cast Time- 1 second

-solidifies the role of signets in both a supportive and control aspect as every attunement either debilitates foes or supports allies

in Profession Balance

Posted by: wildfang.9670

wildfang.9670

as far as warriors go

sig of rage good
battle standard easily out does sig of rage
rampage seems like it has potential i just don’t know.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

I like these ideas for one reason, they are build defining. Elites need to define your build. For instance many necromancers take plague because it helps in certain situation, but it is so situational it is useless most of the time. These might be a little strong, but the thought behind them is in the right direction.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

hmm like the shatter storm, but i would like to make it do dmg instead of condis only. the echoing delusion could lead to a problem though. right now i could cat a pistolphantam, then use the elite and then signet of ether and boom i got 3 pistol phantasms up…could make me op.
but u are heading in the right direction as mesmer elites are not really build supporting and the mantra would be quiet nice. i would love that elite mantra.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Profession Balance

KinkyPotato.4219

I like these ideas for one reason, they are build defining. Elites need to define your build. For instance many necromancers take plague because it helps in certain situation, but it is so situational it is useless most of the time. These might be a little strong, but the thought behind them is in the right direction.

Thank you! I know a few of them may be problematic in a few scenarios but there’s no way for me to test them and balance them as they’re not in the game. Build defining is definitely the way I wanted to go with these elites. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to add them!

in Profession Balance

KinkyPotato.4219

hmm like the shatter storm, but i would like to make it do dmg instead of condis only. the echoing delusion could lead to a problem though. right now i could cat a pistolphantam, then use the elite and then signet of ether and boom i got 3 pistol phantasms up…could make me op.
but u are heading in the right direction as mesmer elites are not really build supporting and the mantra would be quiet nice. i would love that elite mantra.

Shatter storm would probably also tick for low damage, similar to how Chaos Storm ticks for low amounts of damage.

As for Echoing Delusions, that could be problematic although there is counterplay to the phantasms in that you can kill them quickly/evade most of their attacks. I would have no way to test how op that actually would be however as these spells are not actually in the game. Thanks for your feedback!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: NyuuNeeChan.2891

NyuuNeeChan.2891

Barbed trap seems too powerful for me, ranger traited into traps would be able to completely lock down and kill during it someone trapped inside. Elites are meant to be powerful, but not that powerful

Shatter Storm – also too powerful. If fightning within limited space. It would be easy win skill against anything relying on boons. So if something inside it got immobilised, he would be hit by long duration cripple (just unfun), 9 stacks of confusion. And with it having 0,25 second activation time, wouldnt it be the fastest to use elite in game?
Mantra of lyssa – -solidifies the role of the mantra mesmer as a support – as mantra traits are in power and precision trait lanes, i dont really think of them as support spells (damage mantra, mantra to interupt for damage, and mantra for stability stomp – how i use them)
Well of the Profane- Stability, regeneration, conditions to boons and dark field? That doesn’t really fit. Better give such thing to guardian. Oh wai…
Arcane Quickening – no just no, it removes all counter play against ele most powerful attacks, as he can just flash to you and instantly pop for example Churning Earth.
Stone Sheath – armor of earth gives 6 sec of protection and 6 sec of stability on 90 sec cooldown, this elite would just make this skill look useless next to it.
Signet of Elemental Essence – 600 radius is way to big for the effects of this skill. Tornado has 240 radius, and disables your skills replacing it with transformation ones. Here you would have 2,5 times bigger range, with 2,5 times lower cooldown. Air attunement effect would be just overpowered in wvw as it would destroy in 1,5 times bigger radius than swirling winds.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DanSH.6143

DanSH.6143

bro you’re insane, most of these elites are extremely Overpowered. Low recharge elites shouldn’t be that strong.

Griften

in Profession Balance

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

They seem very strong so not finished products but the base concept is solid. They said that the heals are build defining choices and to some extent I agree but I feel the elites are a much build definer or they could be.

They are skills that can be powerful but if you have it or not really can dictate a fights outcome.

As a elementalist main:

Arcane Quickening suggestion is pretty solid. I would definitely give it a spin. Instant cast on fire grabs, and churning would be pretty nice. That is where they would get the most uses for a D/D Ele and the elite aligns with the long cooldown of those skills.

Stone Sheath looks a bit to strong I think a 90s would be better maybe even 120 Ele’s are use to long cooldown elites and one this strong I think 90-120 range for recharge would be better I would probably go 120 seconds for this one.

Elemental essence really strong for only 60 seconds. This looks more like a 180 second elite to me. I would take these over the current elites more often then not. The other elites have their roles though so they wouldn’t be totally over shadowed.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Profession Balance

Posted by: NyuuNeeChan.2891

NyuuNeeChan.2891

I think that it’s trait and equipment stat choice that decides my build not elite. If i had to build around elite, the only build for thief would be venom one, as other elites have no synergies at all. Elite skill is more of the final touch to build. The thing you change depeding on situation you facing. Rather than adding new elites, i would take look at our existing ones. For example, making Time Warp glamour skill ( i have no idea why it isn’t, probbably problem with balancing traits for 10 second long skill), making mortar into a kit, dagger storm into trick, renewed focus into meditation etc.

(edited by NyuuNeeChan.2891)

in Profession Balance

KinkyPotato.4219

Barbed trap seems too powerful for me, ranger traited into traps would be able to completely lock down and kill during it someone trapped inside. Elites are meant to be powerful, but not that powerful

How can a ranger lock down an opponent while someone is trapped inside? There is obvious counterplay to this ability in that 1) Ranged Traps travel incredibly slow and can be dodged, 2) Spamming the charges on this trap means that you’re not utilizing the trap to its fullest extent (at most, you’ll have cripple and 9 stacks of bleed on you…probably 6 in a realistic environment after the third charge since the first application would wear off), and 3) Stability (which almost every class has readily available).

Shatter Storm – also too powerful. If fightning within limited space. It would be easy win skill against anything relying on boons. So if something inside it got immobilised, he would be hit by long duration cripple (just unfun), 9 stacks of confusion. And with it having 0,25 second activation time, wouldnt it be the fastest to use elite in game?

Yes, I have increased the casting time and slightly reduced the aoe radius. However, this elite was designed to punish exactly that…fighting in tight areas and bunching up. It is MEANT to be a counter and deterrent to stacking up. Plus it also grants much needed AoE boon removal to the mesmer (aside from null field).

Mantra of lyssa – -solidifies the role of the mantra mesmer as a support – as mantra traits are in power and precision trait lanes, i dont really think of them as support spells (damage mantra, mantra to interupt for damage, and mantra for stability stomp – how i use them)

Actually, Mantras purpose is to be primarily support. In particular, restorative mantras (heal on mantra channel) + Mantra of Resolve + Mantra of Concentration are all supportive in nature. You can even argue that Mantra of Distraction is support/control and Mantra of Pain becomes your primary healing skill with restorative mantras. Anet devs have mentioned several times and have made several changes to mantras to push them into more of a support role. If you don’t want to use Mantra of Lyssa to bolster your support further…simply don’t bring it? You can always bring another elite even if you’re using mantras.

Well of the Profane- Stability, regeneration, conditions to boons and dark field? That doesn’t really fit. Better give such thing to guardian. Oh wai…

Actually, Necros do have an ability similar to this already. It’s called Well of Power. This is basically the elite version of that (obviously more powerful because it’s Elite).

Arcane Quickening – no just no, it removes all counter play against ele most powerful attacks, as he can just flash to you and instantly pop for example Churning Earth.

This ability only lasts 3 seconds so there is actually plenty of counter play available to players fighting eles with this skill. If he flashes to you, dodge…you’ve pretty much negated this ability at that point. Also, blinding/stability(incase he blinks + earthquakes) are all readily available counters to this ability. Kiting the ele and watching his playstyle (if he suddenly shifts from defensive to offense) also helps.

Stone Sheath – armor of earth gives 6 sec of protection and 6 sec of stability on 90 sec cooldown, this elite would just make this skill look useless next to it.

I changed the recharge to 90 seconds. You should realize however that Earth Armor is going down to a 75 second recharge.

Signet of Elemental Essence – 600 radius is way to big for the effects of this skill. Tornado has 240 radius, and disables your skills replacing it with transformation ones. Here you would have 2,5 times bigger range, with 2,5 times lower cooldown. Air attunement effect would be just overpowered in wvw as it would destroy in 1,5 times bigger radius than swirling winds.

Radius reduced down to 360. Thanks for your feedback!

in Profession Balance

KinkyPotato.4219

bro you’re insane, most of these elites are extremely Overpowered. Low recharge elites shouldn’t be that strong.

The idea is that in addition to role-defining elites, current elites in the game should also get a similar rework so that the maximum cd on these abilities is 90 seconds. Most of the Transformation elites can see modest cooldown decreases while also having their durations reduced to promote active casting rather than “one time final form” abilities. Changes like the following would help to bring more of the current elites in line:

Guardian:
Tome of Courage: Reduced cooldown to 90 seconds, reduced duration to 12 seconds.
Tome of Wrath- Reduced cooldown to 90 seconds, reduced duration to 12 seconds.

Elementalist:
Glyph of Elementals- Reduced cooldown to 60 seconds, reduced summon duration to 30 seconds.

in Profession Balance

KinkyPotato.4219

They seem very strong so not finished products but the base concept is solid. They said that the heals are build defining choices and to some extent I agree but I feel the elites are a much build definer or they could be.

They are skills that can be powerful but if you have it or not really can dictate a fights outcome.

As a elementalist main:

Arcane Quickening suggestion is pretty solid. I would definitely give it a spin. Instant cast on fire grabs, and churning would be pretty nice. That is where they would get the most uses for a D/D Ele and the elite aligns with the long cooldown of those skills.

Stone Sheath looks a bit to strong I think a 90s would be better maybe even 120 Ele’s are use to long cooldown elites and one this strong I think 90-120 range for recharge would be better I would probably go 120 seconds for this one.

Elemental essence really strong for only 60 seconds. This looks more like a 180 second elite to me. I would take these over the current elites more often then not. The other elites have their roles though so they wouldn’t be totally over shadowed.

Thanks for the feedback! I adjusted the CD on Stone Sheath to 90 seconds and Elemental Essence had its radius cut down to 360 to warrant the 60 second CD. I feel like the 60 second cd is necessary as this basically like the Elementalist’s Version of “Plague” where they need to be up close and personal to deliver their effects. Kiting, CCing the ele, and simply out running the ele are all viable counters for the 5 second duration of this channel (in terms of fire and earth).

in Profession Balance

KinkyPotato.4219

I think that it’s trait and equipment stat choice that decides my build not elite. If i had to build around elite, the only build for thief would be venom one, as other elites have no synergies at all. Elite skill is more of the final touch to build. The thing you change depeding on situation you facing. Rather than adding new elites, i would take look at our existing ones. For example, making Time Warp glamour skill ( i have no idea why it isn’t, probbably problem with balancing traits for 10 second long skill), making mortar into a kit, dagger storm into trick, renewed focus into meditation etc.

Yes, I definitely agree with readjusting the current elites IN ADDITION to adding newer elites (3 elites will get stagnant and boring over time). Reducing the CDS of current elites, making them utility types, and reducing their durations will go a long way in opening up build diversity (as was mentioned in an earlier response from me). I’ll probably make another thread soon to highlight a few changes that can be done to current elites as well. For now, let’s try and stick with the topic of FUTURE elites.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

The current state of elites is that for many classes there is a single “primary” elite that synergizes well with most or all of the builds associated with that class (i.e. SoR and RF). There are then a number of “secondary” elites that are rarely, if ever used, primarily because their cooldowns are so long and their impact factor is not dramatically higher than their shorter-CD competitors (i.e. hounds of balthazar, mistfire wolf, guard books, rampage, most racial elites, etc.) , or they are some gimmicky or unreliable skill (i.e. Elixer X, mortar, racial elites) that can become a liability in a fight. Elites should be powerful abilities that have the potential to change the outcome of the battle.

Furthermore, builds in this game could benefit from further definition besides "heals, does AoE damage, does single target damage, does condi damage) to specific roles that certain classes can perform (anti-stealth for ranger with proposed elite changes, massive AoE damage with elementalist elite, etc). One thing this game is beginning to suffer from is lack of build diversity, in particular with pvp/wvw. Addition of these new elites could go a long way to introducing new and exciting niches that future builds, supported by these proposed new elites, could then fill.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

(edited by deathTouch.9706)