Hitman.5829

Elementalist:

• Glyph of storms is visible to enemies

Necro:

• Wells are visible to enemies
  • marks are visible

Thief

• Caltrops are visible

I understand they are traps, but then again why are marks on the necro shown to enemies? why is Glyph of storms shown to enemies? These are only the few skills that I know are shown as red markers to enemies, but no ranger traps.

A traited ranger with ground targeting traps is OP. He just throws the traps at you and because they are not marked they will hit you 100% of the time.

[PvX] Ranger traps should be visible

in Profession Balance

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Wow. So much ignorance. I want you to look up the word trap in your dictionary. Does it say that a trap is visible to its victims before they stepped into it?
There is nothing wrong with the traps. The ranger is giving up utility slots to use them. Most of the rangers would even consider traps as underpowered.

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Normally trap gameplay is supposed to involve some kind of luring, or mindgames or clever placement in order to get your opponent to step on the trap.

That’s why it’s invisible, it’s how that gameplay works. In this game, Ranger traps seem more like Grenades than actual Traps on a gameplay level. So, you’re right, the fact they’re invisible doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

I’d rather see them go the other way with it, though. Push that mindgame gameplay more, and dialback on the spam.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Trap Ranger OP :P you heard it here first, folks.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I understand they are traps, but then again why are marks on the necro shown to enemies? why is Glyph of storms shown to enemies? These are only the few skills that I know are shown as red markers to enemies, but no ranger traps.

A traited ranger with ground targeting traps is OP. He just throws the traps at you and because they are not marked they will hit you 100% of the time.

You said it yourself. They are Traps. Not being visible is the thing setting them apart from other area effects. As a trade off, Traps lack range. I personally think that this is quite balanced. Additionally, you can certainly see their area effect as soon as they are triggered.

Besides that, throwing Traps at a person makes it totally irrelevant if they are visible or not since they trigger anyway. I’m not sure how adding red circles would help countering them.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Paavotar.3971

Paavotar.3971

Maybe add the AoE ring during the skill animation of the trap so you could see when the ranger throws a trap right on top of you and you wouldn’t need to keep eye on a small arm animation. This way traps wouldn’t be as effective to directly throw at enemy and would work more as traps where they have to step on them.

What this would mean you could still lay traps behind obstacles and enemy wouldn’t see them, but if you are in plain sight of them they would have an AoE ring indication for half a second or so where the trap was thrown. Because as it is, you have no idea where the ranger placed the trap at the moment, other than he placed it (if you are lucky to notice the arm fling).

A Pink scumbag of [FACE] and deep inside a [GuM]ster
Mouggari – Warrior – Candy cane Avenger

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

Maybe add the AoE ring during the skill animation of the trap so you could see when the ranger throws a trap right on top of you and you wouldn’t need to keep eye on a small arm animation. This way traps wouldn’t be as effective to directly throw at enemy and would work more as traps where they have to step on them.

What this would mean you could still lay traps behind obstacles and enemy wouldn’t see them, but if you are in plain sight of them they would have an AoE ring indication for half a second or so where the trap was thrown. Because as it is, you have no idea where the ranger placed the trap at the moment, other than he placed it (if you are lucky to notice the arm fling).

Exactly! how can people disagree with something so simple like this? My guess is that they are rangers themselves and don’t want their fun trap terminated.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

Trap Ranger OP :P you heard it here first, folks.

^^^^^^ 15 charrs.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

Not sure if serious?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Thief traps aren’t visible… why should Ranger traps be?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

I think a better comparison for Ranger traps would be Thief traps.

Yep, still invisible.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Nope.

They are traps, the whole point is they can be laid without your opponent knowing their location / without being seen.

You cant just compare them to Marks and other skills in such a one-minded way.. They arent the same and arent for the same purpose. Only a few days ago I was opposing the suggestion to increase traps radius and range to match that of marks for the same reason, so this isnt be being bias towards rangers or traps.. its just thats the reality of what traps are meant to be – and its not the same as marks, glyphs, wells or caltrops.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

Thief’s traps are invisible also…
And no matter how one specs, traps are still dealing way less damage than necro wells, and are way less spammable than necro marks…
So yeah, give me the ability to almost constantly put traps down, that would deal damages comparable with necro marks and wells, and I wouldn’t have problems with traps showing…
(just compare untraited chilblains: 20 sec CD for 4 sec chill and 6 sec poison… while ranger’s frost trap chills for 1 second on a 30 sec CD, and viper’s nest poisons 3 secs on a 20 second CD. Untraited putrid mark deals a base damage of 444, on a 25 sec CD, and is a blast and transfers conditions to foes, which makes it scale well both with condi build and power build, while no ranger traps is much good for direct damage (base damage is way too low, while all traits for traps are in precision and ferocity line – which brings noth much to condi builds), none offer any real survivability options (no break stun, no condi removal, no stability – while a well necro has access to it all).

So yeah… if our traps were almost spammable and could deal real damages (and not just damages that a signet war could outheal), maybe we could look at making traps seeable…
Until traps are a real option in builds, and not just a tagging option because they are our main access to AoE’s, I’m not gonna agree with the fact traps are invisible.

(not talking about ele or thief, canse I don’t know them enough, but comparing necro and ranger is like comparing strawberries and vinegar – they’re just not the same)…

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Nope.

They are traps, the whole point is they can be laid without your opponent knowing their location / without being seen.

You cant just compare them to Marks and other skills in such a one-minded way.. They arent the same and arent for the same purpose. Only a few days ago I was opposing the suggestion to increase traps radius and range to match that of marks for the same reason, so this isnt be being bias towards rangers or traps.. its just thats the reality of what traps are meant to be – and its not the same as marks, glyphs, wells or caltrops.

pretty much this…

When you spend time to write on the ground a huge circle of curses, then i think the enemy will be able to read that text on the ground. Fortunately for necromancers, apparently, we aren’t very quick readers, so marks actually work.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU