RIP Power Builds?

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

Haven’t done any scientific testing yet, but it doesn’t seem like the nerf to critical damage is the 10% anet said it would be. More like 30-50%? I just tried out my mesmer and thief that have power builds with some unscientific testing against veteran guards and, for instance, backstabs that used to hit for 7k are now 4k, illusionary berserkers that used to be 4-4.5k are now 2-2.5k. I rarely play my thief anymore, but this is game breaking for a power mesmer…won’t be able to kill any decent player in a reasonable amount of time (i.e. before every dot on the map joins in).

I don’t know how roaming and small scale combat can continue to exist in WvW as the meta will inevitably shift to all condi spam. It was already dicey against the top condi builds, now a power build of any kind will have no chance against those builds at all.

I also think this is going to have an extremely negative effect on zerg combat where condis are not so much a factor. We’ve already seen endless numbers of wet noodle hammer trains that can barely kill a thing unless they CC lock and mob down individual and pockets of players. Their damage is also going to go down, which means it will take longer to kill players, which means longer periods of blobs being blobs that can’t kill a decisive number of players to end a battle. It will also seriously hinder highly offensive zerg busting guild builds that did go for quick wipes using large numbers of power staff eles and well necros.

Anyway, doesn’t look good at all.

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I suspect most people’s experience will see it’s much greater than a 10% loss, well those who run straight dps builds. Remember we do however have that 2nd slot for a sigil to make up for some of the dps lost.

For however, I am prepared to see a 20-30% overall dps loss, not a 10%, at least that’s what I’m preparing for anyway.

It may force me into more of a tanky build because before the patch, tanky players hit zerker players harder anyway, which begs the question, why exactly was a crit damage nerf allowed to go through WvW in the 1st place.

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Razor.6392

Razor.6392

I’m losing 30% overall crit damage. EVEN THE FOODS WERE NERFED BY 5% EACH ON AVERAGE LOL.

This is simply ridiculous. I have lost any and all interest to play this game. My wvw damage is barely higher than the max amount possible pre-ferocity change at the mists in spvp. Like, what? This can’t be serious.

10%… what a complete and utter lie. The difference between a knights / valk guy with 0% crit chance and a full zerk is smaller than ever. The gap between condition builds and power builds has been increased tenfold.

So not only did tankier builds already had an easier time surviving zerks since the damage mitigated > damage inflicted (0% crit dmg guy will still hit a glass cannon hard while a full glass cannon will hit back for the same amount or lower since the other guy is tanky, BUT the glass cannon also has less hp on top of that), but now it’s even easier! Good bye huge numbers and fun burst damage on my ele.

What a disgrace. I’m disgusted at this patch.

The age of condi builds 2.0 starts now!

Level 60 pvp
Ele & thief main (full ascended)
Down with the braindead faceroll classes.

(edited by Razor.6392)

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

I killed a level 80 Zerker Thief with Dark Pact, Reaper’s Touch, and 1 Life Blast.

You can proc Sigil of Air, swap weaps, then immediately proc Sigil of Fire. And get the 50% endurance from Sigil of Energy.

I’m so totally not concerned about the changes right now. I lost 30% off of my critical damage as well, but if it’s adding any additional attacks to the fight, I’m not noticing.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: JahRo.6432

JahRo.6432

It is quite obvious what ANet is pushing for.

Attachments:

Morn [BFF][VLK]
Maguuma
(Insert other useless !@#$ here)

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Warlord of Chaos.7845

Warlord of Chaos.7845

I actually did calculate the dps loss if it ferocity was a 1-15 ratio before the patch. It’s about a 25-30% loss in crit damage(35-45% if full celestial) which is a LOT more then 10% overall damage loss :P

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

First let me admit that I rushed into initial testing without resetting my traits, so I was down quite a bit without those.

Still though, there’s noticeable power loss that’s more than 10%, and not a kitten thing is being done about condi damage and duration in the context of WvW (I started this thread in the WvW forum before it was moved).

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

that ferocity is a utter joke… i had “post patch” a more or less balanced staff ele it wasnt a pure dps, but i was doing between 2k5 and 3k5 with meteor shower… now… exact same build… i barely go over 2k with it..

I rage quited the game when i saw that because i’am sick of having to spend tons of gold to restuff all my characters.

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Cogbyrn.7283

that ferocity is a utter joke… i had “post patch” a more or less balanced staff ele it wasnt a pure dps, but i was doing between 2k5 and 3k5 with meteor shower… now… exact same build… i barely go over 2k with it..

I rage quited the game when i saw that because i’am sick of having to spend tons of gold to restuff all my characters.

If you were doing 2.5k damage with Meteor Shower hits before the Ferocity change, odds are you had at least +100% critical damage, which means you were doing 2.5x the amount of base damage. That puts your base hit at 1k.

Post-ferocity, that means you would do 2.2x your base damage, or 2.2k damage. So yeah, “barely” over is a 300 damage loss. Over kittens, you’d do 1500 less damage, or 11k instead of 12.5k. Sounds like something to rage quit over.

If you were hitting for 3.5k sometimes, you’d be at 2.5x = 3,500, x = 1400 base damage per hit. After the Ferocity changes, you’d do roughly 2.2*1400 or 3080 per hit on those same targets.

Sounds like you were prepared to rage quit before you even logged in.

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Turtle.4130

Turtle.4130

Dumpstering my warrior, rerolling a necrocancer when I find the motivation to play this game in its horrible state atm.

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Cogbyrn.7283

Dumpstering my warrior, rerolling a necrocancer when I find the motivation to play this game in its horrible state atm.

Did that 8% reduction to Healing Signet ruin your viability?

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Turtle.4130

Turtle.4130

Did that 8% reduction to Healing Signet ruin your viability?

Nah, they’re viable and all, I just don’t like crit nerfs, I’ve lost over 40% damage on crits which is absolutely stupid. I don’t care about HS nerfs either, only a complete garbage player would whine about it being bad.

It’s clear this game is moving in the direction of condition damage, and as someone who has been playing Condition damage warrior way before the day of Mace+Shield/GS, it’s frankly boring as hell to play now. There’s no fun in CD warrior, so I’ll move onto something more fun.

So yeah… Put the sarcasm back where it came from, please and thanks.

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Cogbyrn.7283

I lost roughly 30 off of my total Crit Dmg number, but the difference in the amount of damage the crit does is about 12%. The numbers you see for your crits won’t be 40% lower than before.

Did you try it? Or just look at the change and log out?

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

this nerf has really just taken away my desire to play the game. i started out as a thief hwen the game first came out and bailed to a necro a few months ago. i played condi at first and then found power to be incredibly rewarding. now, it’s not even worth it. i lost over 40% crit damage. to make matters worse i can’t fall back on conditions because of the dhuumfire nerf yet engis are allowed to keep incendiary power which is the same thing and in a lower tier. makes no sense. so, yeah. re-roll a condition class that isn’t a necro or quit. i think i know my choice.

CD

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

LOL this thread

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

this nerf has really just taken away my desire to play the game. i started out as a thief hwen the game first came out and bailed to a necro a few months ago. i played condi at first and then found power to be incredibly rewarding. now, it’s not even worth it. i lost over 40% crit damage. to make matters worse i can’t fall back on conditions because of the dhuumfire nerf yet engis are allowed to keep incendiary power which is the same thing and in a lower tier. makes no sense. so, yeah. re-roll a condition class that isn’t a necro or quit. i think i know my choice.

A necro complaining? Hahahaha, dude necros are one of the strongest picks at the moment (in WvW atleast). They literally rip people apart. How can the king of condis not be a good pick for playing condis?

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Cogbyrn.7283

Now that you can time your Dhuumfire burn, I can only imagine that good Necros potentially got better with their burst coordination. I can also imagine that less good Necros got worse because spamming Scepter isn’t as strong.

Win/win in my book. I’ll just keep playing my Power build. All the better if everyone thinks it’s terrible now and underestimates it.

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I killed a level 80 Zerker Thief with Dark Pact, Reaper’s Touch, and 1 Life Blast.

You can proc Sigil of Air, swap weaps, then immediately proc Sigil of Fire. And get the 50% endurance from Sigil of Energy.

I’m so totally not concerned about the changes right now. I lost 30% off of my critical damage as well, but if it’s adding any additional attacks to the fight, I’m not noticing.

I’m holding my breath till I see how the sigil situation plays out.

The Ranger forum are already referring to this as “the sigil meta”.

My guess is a lot of the damage can be made up elsewhere.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Zerker is still the best pve spec by far.

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rangersix.1754

Rangersix.1754

In PvE damage is still king, nothing was changed there.
Zerker is still the king of DPS gear.

Now, I’d really like to know how people figure that Zerker or Damage builds all of a sudden became obsolete.

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Now, I’d really like to know how people figure that Zerker or Damage builds all of a sudden became obsolete.

They need a second or two more to kill mobs. Thats a second or two more where those mobs can plaster their brains on the floor. Longer encounters mean more survivability needed. Active or passive, but more is needed. That is the only reason i can think of…

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Eiland.1405

Eiland.1405

If all they wanted was to make direct damage less dominate in PVE they only needed to do 1 of the 2 things:

1. increase every mob toughness by some percent or flat bonus
2. increase condition limit from 25 to 50 or something

These changes would’ve only effect PVE where the issue was, but yeah, expect ANET to ruin their own game even more and doing the exact opposite:
- zerker are needed more then ever in dungeons
- condi will dominate even more on all other game mods(wvw, PVP)

Dry Leaves

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

If all they wanted was to make direct damage less dominate in PVE they only needed to do 1 of the 2 things:

1. increase every mob toughness by some percent or flat bonus
2. increase condition limit from 25 to 50 or something

These changes would’ve only effect PVE where the issue was, but yeah, expect ANET to ruin their own game even more and doing the exact opposite:
- zerker are needed more then ever in dungeons
- condi will dominate even more on all other game mods(wvw, PVP)

You said it right.
IF all they wanted… Only if.
They simply wanted to fix the disparity in equipment slots, where some slots were predestined for crit damage, while others were barely worth stuffing crit damage in, unless you went full damage anyway.

Some other dev then probably had the idea, that this was a great moment to address the damage in dungeons a bit, so they used this opportunity to cut away some crit damage.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

RIP Power Builds?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Let me guess, press button to win not working?

/jiggle

They need a second or two more to kill mobs. Thats a second or two more where those mobs can plaster their brains on the floor. Longer encounters mean more survivability needed. Active or passive, but more is needed. That is the only reason i can think of…

Exactly my thoughts.

Players played some classes due easy high damage, ele could reach 5k-8k meteors wich was weird due low hp of other classes(also overkill on wall defenders), Crit damage was not working very well and Anet had to find a solution for that, some classes also could take 30k hp in a matter of seconds w/o effort, a thing that Anet don’t like much (learned that via gw1 updates) its the lack of effort, if a player want to be that effective, must work for that objective.

Pitty that most players took that crit damage as “granted skill” as now they need more effort to kill, witch IMO its not a very clever rant.

How many of you were gw1 players?
How many know there’s a target system also in gw2
High burst builds still available just theory craft a little bit more.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)