Ranger and traps

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

I can manage all those today Rapid Fire idiocy but what drive me crazy are Ranger traps. There is literaly no way how to spot them on the ground and dont tell me there is red circle because I dont see any never.
When I get compare to my mines.. They are visible from distance they flashing they made sound same necro marks or any other ground AoE you clearly see.
Traps need something simillar.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Why is it people on the forums seem to perpetually think they little thing about every class must be the same?

Being invisble is pretty much the entire core of what a trap is… you know… to trap people. Bombs have largers AoEs, the fire bomb is shorter CD and longer duration burning than our flame trap, but traps are invisable and unblockable.. There are differences and it’s these differences which make the classes interesting and unique.

Shall we go reduce Necro Wells size to 180 to be in line with Traps and Bombs too? I think they need to lose some duration as well to match us. Should probably just name then all “Class Specific AoE” as well so that it’s clear they are meant to be all the same.

Sorry but making simular skills on different classess match perfectly for no reason other than you want a benifit someone else has with no regard to what you have that they don’t have is a terrible terrible plan.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

Radius of mine is like… 50. And mines shoud be also invisible did you know how those things works in real life right?
Its not about make all classes same but provide counterplay to certain skills. Ranger traps are to strong to be invisible.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Gervaise.4163

Gervaise.4163

3/10… you managed to bait some people.. somehow

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

I can manage all those today Rapid Fire idiocy but what drive me crazy are Ranger traps. There is literaly no way how to spot them on the ground and dont tell me there is red circle because I dont see any never.
When I get compare to my mines.. They are visible from distance they flashing they made sound same necro marks or any other ground AoE you clearly see.
Traps need something simillar.

ur staffs are marks

thief traps are invicible either

u can tell when ranger is placing them

traps always been like this for years

some ppl just want to watch the world burn

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

Traps are currently terrible in spvp.
So yes, give them tells outside of the throw animation, but at the same time make them viable —-kit for all traps OR multiple cond effects for each trap + not costing 6 points and minimum 2 utilities + range increase and quite possibly moving them from the trait line they are found in altogether. tyvm

(edited by dylan.5409)

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

Wow, is it a thing to cry about rangers after the patch now? The best part about this complaint is they didn’t even touch traps before the patch, so nothing changed, but they are suddenly OP? Interesting.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

I never said they are OP I talking about counterplay what doesnt exist

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Wyrden.4713

I never said they are OP I talking about counterplay what doesnt exist

it exists, u can dodge away right after trap activates b4 getting a single pulse.

edit: besides spike trap

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

The entire point of a trap build is to surprise someone who thinks they can just run up and gank the ranger. The element of surprise is the only thing that makes them relevant to a fight.

It dramatically loses it’s potential after the first person runs into a trap and proceeds to warn their team about the trap ranger. After that it’s pretty easy to just NOT walk where the ranger is obviously trying to lead you. If the traps are being laid in combat you can see them being placed.

Frankly I am astonished that people will keep running into my traps in an attempt to get me when they see me standing perfectly still on point and not even trying to get away from them. It means that I have laid my traps. You literally JUST got destroyed by my traps last time we fought. Why the Hell would you think there wouldn’t be traps this time?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

The entire point of a trap build is to surprise someone who thinks they can just run up and gank the ranger. The element of surprise is the only thing that makes them relevant to a fight.

It dramatically loses it’s potential after the first person runs into a trap and proceeds to warn their team about the trap ranger. After that it’s pretty easy to just NOT walk where the ranger is obviously trying to lead you. If the traps are being laid in combat you can see them being placed.

Frankly I am astonished that people will keep running into my traps in an attempt to get me when they see me standing perfectly still on point and not even trying to get away from them. It means that I have laid my traps. You literally JUST got destroyed by my traps last time we fought. Why the Hell would you think there wouldn’t be traps this time?

Yea your explanation is amazing.. If I dont run close thru your amazing invisible traps you pew pew me with autoattack to death.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

It wouldn’t be a trap if it was visible, it’s a stratagem for catching or tricking an unwary person.

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

It wouldn’t be a trap if it was visible, it’s a stratagem for catching or tricking an unwary person.

I can argue same with mines..

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Wyrden.4713

Yea your explanation is amazing.. If I dont run close thru your amazing invisible traps you pew pew me with autoattack to death.

u realise trap rangers r condi and therefor dont get much if they equip a longbow

and necro counter (hardcounter on engi) most condi proffession (dagger 4, staff 4 , even ur mainheal cleans all condis, and u can choose to use plague sigent, but tbh that one is useless in my opinion if u arent sure u r fighting a condi proffession)

so a condi ranger is at a pretty bad spot against necros anyway

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Mines can be manually detonated, while traps don’t have any such backup plan.

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

And? Target still must be in range to get damage witch is SMALLER then traps.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Wyrden.4713

i agree that mines should have red circles removed

idk if it should be totally invicible tho:o

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

Mines are fine traps need red circles

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Mines are fine traps need red circles

How bout traps are fine, mines ought to be invisible (other than the “setting up” animation, which traps also have)?

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Target must still be in range to get damaged, knocked away, and have boons stripped from them, as well as potentially having conditions inflicted, while also having to guess if they’re within range of the explosion, a situation complicated by that whole Forceful Explosives trait thing. Throw Mine is also already ground-targeted, while traps have to trait for it (just as Throw Mine has to trait for radius).
That’s without even including Mine Field, which already randomizes its placements, can be manually detonated as well, and features in some of the most effective spike builds I’ve seen.
It’s important to remember the differences in the skills and their effects, not just remark on similarities.
Besides, would it really be a good idea to have two skills produce six invisible, detonate-able, boon-stripping AoEs-in-waiting, with one of the six also being a knockback, especially considering the short cooldowns of both these skills?
I really think that would be a bit much.

Edit: I also don’t think giving traps red circles would be a good idea. Their purpose is as something that you lure or force people into, rather than going “I really hope they don’t notice this GIANT RED CIRCLE here!”
It’s like League of Legends – in anything but Bot matches, Turrets don’t have their targeting range circles, because otherwise it devolves into Player Vs UI.

(edited by Anymras.5729)

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

sminkiottone.6972

The explosion radius is the same of the effective radius of traps, the only difference is that engi can use mines effectively by spending only 2 points while ranger needs to spend 6 points to make traps effective.

Also mines are more powerfull than traps, you can trigger them manually and have knockback and blast finisher.

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

Again out of whole point. It all about traps counterplay not effectivness.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Is there a clear tell to Overcharged Shot? Actually visible tell to Magnet Pull? Time to interrupt Healing Turret? No.

Traps are yay…..traps, you know. They are with us for 2 years now and were hardly affected or buffed by any changes. Rune of the Trapper, which could be a new bonus play with them is restricted from PvP.

How to outplay traps for pros:

-Berserker Stance.
-Let the AI eat traps for you.
-Dodge after activation.
-Don’t walk into trap.
-Screw the Trapper from range (no, trappers are very rarely using so OP OP Longbow).
-Or, you know, condi cleanse. It’s not like two traps will cover you up with nearly every condition in game like condi engineer does.

You know, it’s funny. This entire reasoning paints an image in my head.

A deer caught in a trap by some poacher, yelling “OMFG, WHERE’S THE SKILLFULL COUNTERPLAY, NO RED CIRCLE?!”

Attachments:

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

(edited by Rym.1469)

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

Is there a clear tell to Overcharged Shot? Actually visible tell to Magnet Pull? Time to interrupt Healing Turret? No.

Traps are yay…..traps, you know. They are with us for 2 years now and were hardly affected or buffed by any changes. Rune of the Trapper, which could be a new bonus play with them is restricted from PvP.

-Berserker Stance.
-Dodge after activation.
-Don’t walk into trap.
-Screw the Trapper from range (no, trappers are very rarely using so OP OP Longbow).
-Or, you know, condi cleanse. It’s not like two traps will cover you up with nearly every condition in game like condi engineer does.

A deer caught in a trap by some poacher, yelling “OMFG, WHERE’S THE SKILLFULL COUNTERPLAY, NO RED CIRCLE?!”

Overchaged shot knock me down aswell and Magnet has this very visible line and quite a long cast. I can agree with uninteruptable healing turret.

Lets look at your outplay list.
- I dont have Berserker stance
- I dont have any AI what I can send there
- Thats point of this topic… How can I dont walk into trap when I dont know its there.. Yes I can see when ranger putting trap on ground and go around but good ranger lay traps long before.
- Shooting from range is clearly nice idea for you but my pistol hits for 300 on 900 range and condis are rather slow. Range vs range, damage vs damage Ranger always win especialy now with that long bow boost yes I can chain perma reflect but that another story..
- Maybe you dont know but engi havent much condi cleanses.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rym.1469

-Berserker Stance.
-Dodge after activation.
-Don’t walk into trap.

Overchaged shot knock me down aswell and Magnet has this very visible line and quite a long cast. I can agree with uninteruptable healing turret.

- Thats point of this topic… How can I dont walk into trap when I dont know its there.. Yes I can see when ranger putting trap on ground and go around but good ranger lay traps long before.
- Shooting from range is clearly nice idea for you but my pistol hits for 300 on 900 range and condis are rather slow. Range vs range, damage vs damage Ranger always win especialy now with that long bow boost yes I can chain perma reflect but that another story..

Then you’re screwed up. Same as many X builds vs. Y builds.

But playing condition engineer, I somehow manage to kill trappers usually. Idk…

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

The whole point of traps is to have little to no counterplay, hence their unblockable and invisible nature. ^^;

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

-Berserker Stance.
-Dodge after activation.
-Don’t walk into trap.

I never said I dont kill him he was one of those RF noobs and I have build with 20s reflect:-P I just step into invisible traps what eat me 80% HP in like 3s thats why I am here.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Wyrden.4713

-Berserker Stance.
-Dodge after activation.
-Don’t walk into trap.

I never said I dont kill him he was one of those RF noobs and I have build with 20s reflect:-P I just step into invisible traps what eat me 80% HP in like 3s thats why I am here.

80% of ur health, what r u doing? camping the fire and poison traps? maybe u should move around?

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

80% of ur health, what r u doing? camping the fire and poison traps? maybe u should move around?

They were on stair all in one spot. Invisible.. Did I said today that stupid traps sits there was INVISIBLE? (i am sure I mention it was invisible…). How can I run around something what I dont know is there? Did you guys understand what mean invisible right? You dont see that thing thats it!

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Wyrden.4713

They were on stair all in one spot. Invisible.. Did I said today that stupid traps sits there was INVISIBLE? (i am sure I mention it was invisible…). How can I run around something what I dont know is there? Did you guys understand what mean invisible right? You dont see that thing thats it!

and u can dodge out of it the moment they go out. u got 0. 5 sec time.

and 80% health only by traps is if u rly just camp for 4 s on those traps everytime they go up .

after u saw the first traps going up, u can see all other further traps the ranger places.

not sure if troll or l2p issue

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

and 80% health only by traps is if u rly just camp for 4 s on those traps everytime they go up .

after u saw the first traps going up, u can see all other further traps the ranger places.

0.5s.. I am sure pro players like you have enough time to make coffie in that loooooong window:-P Its wasnt 4s it was almost instant spike never saw that before and I am sure there wasnt any delay I have very good reactions for that it was like spike traps in super adventure box – insta pop up. And it wasnt like traps from multiple rangers only one ranger was ranger in that team (well there was other one but I kill him like 15s before so no way)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Wyrden.4713

0.5s.. I am sure pro players like you have enough time to make coffie in that loooooong window:-P Its wasnt 4s it was almost instant spike never saw that before and I am sure there wasnt any delay I have very good reactions for that it was like spike traps in super adventure box – insta pop up. And it wasnt like traps from multiple rangers only one ranger was ranger in that team (well there was other one but I kill him like 15s before so no way)

are u sure ur enemy was a ranger?

and many skills are 0.5 – 0.75 s cast if not lower that u need to dodge..

eviscerate is most likely 0.5 s

skull crack is 0.5s

signet of instawi…spite is 0.75s

phoenix of an s/x ele is 0 .25 s

etc..

if u dont dodge some of these its instantly a lost fight in most cases (skullcrack u can still make up for it w a stunbreak)

and u can clean condis, especially as necro (staff 4, dagger 4, hell even ur dam heal)

neverthless i am pretty sure u r overdoing it, cause traps cant take 80% of ur health instantly. even if u camp inside of em.

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Actually, the big mine from the throw mine skill is actually invisible to the enemy in much the same way traps are. In that way, they’re very much equivalent to traps, just with a very inferior trigger radius.

The mines you’re referring to are the smaller mines from either mine field or the auto-deploy mines from the explosives line. I don’t know why those ones were never made invisible, but other trap classes don’t really have this extra sort of functionality along with their traps (i.e. mini traps). Mine field is often used as a spike ability anyways, much like a point-blank grenade barrage.

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

skull crack is 0.5s

etc..

if u dont dodge some of these its instantly a lost fight in most cases (skullcrack u can still make up for it w a stunbreak)

and u can clean condis, especially as necro (staff 4, dagger 4, hell even ur dam heal)

neverthless i am pretty sure u r overdoing it, cause traps cant take 80% of ur health instantly. even if u camp inside of em.

Dude dont make noob from me I spend over 3k hours in SPvP since headstart and yes I am able dodge that things and yes it was ranger and his traps and yes it was 80% HP and if I wont pop healing turret right away I would die to burning there.. An before you ask i had rabid gear so I wasnt squishy.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rym.1469

The whole point of traps and trapper is quite easy:

Unless you heavily invest in traps, they’re quite…. like utility goggles on condi engineer. If Ranger wants to survive, he can pack up maximum 2 traps.

Traps are quite…meh alone tbh. Some bleeds, one burning, maybe one chill. The entire point of them is that they’re invisible, unblockable AND their cooldown starts once placed. It means that trapper, when stationary, will cover small area with traps and have second set of them ready to be placed.

Double-trapping – That’s probably the thing that killed you. You activated prepared traps and Ranger threw second set on top of you.

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Wyrden.4713

skull crack is 0.5s

etc..

Dude dont make noob from me I spend over 3k hours in SPvP since headstart and yes I am able dodge that things and yes it was ranger and his traps and yes it was 80% HP and if I wont pop healing turret right away I would die to burning there.. An before you ask i had rabid gear so I wasnt squishy.

conditions ignore toughness…

burn trap does 1 s burn per pulse only , so the burn wont kill u. 1.5s if taken condition duration runes+ traits, but the 0.5 s wont proc cause burn procs just each second.

this is getting out of hand.

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

So… You didn’t bring ANY non-melee weapon? Your only options are to run into where you SHOULD know the traps are by the second engagement or die?

I’m not buying it.

However, going by your complaint about counterplay stealth should be outright removed from the game as well. So lets just remove thieves entirely. There’s no counterplay to an instant gap closer from stealth! Right? It’s not like you can anticipate the incoming attack and plan accordingly or anything. Or how about mesmer clones? Sure, you can find the original one if you’re paying close attention, but add in invisibility and teleports and it can get super confusing. Lets remove those too.

Deception is an ingrained aspect of the game. Anet clearly wants us to be able to do things to catch enemies off guard and throw off their rhythm. Traps serve such a roll. A surprise that the enemy will suffer for if they failed to anticipate where the traps were waiting. Unless you’re running full zerker with zero condition removal running into the traps once isn’t game changing either. You’d have to hit five or six traps for it to give a solid edge to the ranger who has sacrificed all defensive utilities for surprise damage.

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Wow traps are OP now!!!!

My god the ranger hate on this forum has just reached ludicrous speed.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

…the facepalm for traps is funny, you got two melee weapons sets take a Mace or a shield, or a second set like a Focus Reflect Curtein him back towards you interrupting his next trap or skills, knockdown always take quite a while to recover from and trappers don’t carry a lot of Stabilty because of trait set up.

also theres a animation of the ranger putting away his weapon and throwing a trap , that is a sign to apply caution and kite in a Circle motion while using mobilty/blocks/interrupts to prevent him placing more traps.

you just can’ take two offensive weaponsets anymore..it isn’t PvE.

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

sminkiottone.6972

skull crack is 0.5s

etc..

burn trap does 1 s burn per pulse only , so the burn wont kill u. 1.5s if taken condition duration runes+ traits, but the 0.5 s wont proc cause burn procs just each second.

/facepalm

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

How many times I must say you it was INSTANT damage not condition ticks…

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

How many times I must say you it was INSTANT damage not condition ticks…

Well, it sounds to me like either there was another player there or you are completely mis-remembering what happened.

Even if you were hit by all 3 damaging traps, and the ranger had max condition damage as well as poison mastery, and every pulse from Flame + Poison trap critted, and every crit proced bleeding, and we assume all these bleeds were applied instantly (instead of over the course of the pulsing, which is what would really happen)…

Even with all those assumptions, the traps could not do more than 8k damage over their 3s duration.

So.. to say you lost 80% of your health instantly to traps (which would have to be at least 12k damage on an engineer) is completely impossible.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

Rozbuska.5263

So.. to say you lost 80% of your health instantly to traps (which would have to be at least 12k damage on an engineer) is completely impossible.

Yea tell me about that.. Why do you think I come here?

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ranger and traps

in Profession Balance

sminkiottone.6972

Yea tell me about that.. Why do you think I come here?

Engi has base 15k hp, if you stand on all 3 traps for theyr full duration you can only lose around 6k damages, 7k if all traps crit, that’s not even half health.

so :

a) you had a lag spike, the ranger condi bomb you with more than just traps and you didn’t dodge even once, 3 traps + auto attacks + pet + bonefire + entangle + weapon swap can deal more than 10k.
b) there where other people attacking you.