Easyer to dodge a part of it vs. Everything or nothing
Working well with fire and air sigil vs. Intelligent sigil 100% crit
If you are not aware you have time to react vs. You are dead
65300 zerker vs. 30506 cavalier makes nearly same damage but 3.5k armor
LB is your only friend vs. You can swap in every 5 secs
1500 range when traited vs. 1500 range basic
10 sec basic recharge vs. 10 sec basic recharge
8 sec traited recharge vs. 7 sec traited
Apply vulnerability vs. You can cast signet of might while channelling to be unblockable

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

You can’t compare a common skill whit a Special skil, made by the Mechanic of a class. Is like compare the Ranger Pet whit the Adrenaline skills.
You can compare Rapid Shot whit Volley (warrior rifle skill 3) but not whit Killing Shot.
Then, the Rifle have 1200 of range and can’t be traited, only the Ranger can increase it’s Ranged Weapon range ‘till 1500 whit a trait.
They’re 2 different skills and compare it is hard because Rapid Fire actually give more damage, whit more chance to hit, more range, give vulnerability (and that increase it’s own damage during the attack), can be used while you move and it’s damage or use isn’t based on the Adrenaline. You can start the fight whit Rapid Fire, giving high damage at the top range of the game, giving vulnerability and you have the time to recharge the skill before the fight come in melee (expecially if you hide for 3 sec whit the skill 3 or cripple your enemy whit skill 5) and to obtain rapid delay and high range you need only 4 trait points.

To use Killing Shot you need to be already in the fight, you can’t use it when you want, and to inflict it’s top damage you need 3 bar of Adrenaline. That make you in danger, expecially in pvp. Because if you’re in fight frequently you’re in zerg if in www and in 2vs2-3vs3 if in spvp. That make you prevedible or/and easy to dodge or be interrupted. And to swap your weapon every 5 sec and decrease the recharge of your F1 skill by 30% you need 6 trait points in a line that don’t give you trait’s for your Rifle. Rifle Trait (that decrease it’s skill recharge and make it’s skills piercing) is in Arms, a Condition Damage Trait Line. To make your Kill Shot deal it’s top damage you need 10 trait points.
Then, no one use Signet of Might, expecially in spvp or www, because you need defensive skills to survive, not a passive/active skill only to be unblockable for 6 sec. And Rapid Fire don’t need utility skills to work at it’s best.

And LB isn’t the only friend of a Ranger. If you need to swap your weapon you can use a lot of good melee or mid-range weapons.

Actually, Rapid Fire is more good than Killing Shot.
More damage, more easy to use, vulnerability, hard to dodge, high range and high projectile speed (if traited), trait’s lines for make you able to deal your max damage whit LB and Rapid Fire give you Power, Precision and Ferocity (top stats for dps) and Condition Duration, for your Vulnerability and Cripple.

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Sliv addressed a lot of it pretty well, but I’d like to point out a few things that also need to be considered.

First being that Kill Shot does actually hit harder than Rapid Fire when both are built for full burst. Rapid Fire will hit the heavy golem for around 5-6K damage in total, while Kill Shot will hit comfortably around 7-8K. Both without blowing utilities. Kill Shot can also be traited to always crit, making the damage more reliable.

Kill Shot can also be used to open a fight if you take Signet of Fury and blow it before engaging. Granted you might want to avoid that if you’re not comfortable investing too many utilities in offensive boosts, which is fine because there’s two bursts available on the rifle.

Volley only does 10% less damage than Rapid Fire for the same cooldown as a fully traited Rapid Fire. It doesn’t apply vulnerability though, but at the same time there’s another skill that does, which means you can lead with Brutal Shot for eight vulnerability stacks that will increase the damage of every shot in Volley rather than a steady stacking over the course of the burst like with Rapid Fire.

The rifle can also be traited with Crack Shot which gives the bullets piercing. Crack Shot is an adept tier trait and has the same effect as a master tier trait for Longbow. A master tier trait that is in competition with Eagle Eye, and so is almost never taken unless you want to give up the 1,500 range.

I know it’s really hard to pull off, but I’ve managed to use Kill Shot and hit three opponents in one go a couple times. It’s kind of a “If the stars align perfectly” sort of situation, but not impossible, and hilarious when it does happen. Piercing potentially dramatically improves the rifle’s damage output if the user can get a good position before unloading, and sometimes by happy accident.

Finally, the five second cooldown on weapon swap warriors get from their investment into Discipline definitely makes the warrior more effective if someone closes the gap. I’ve taken a hammer the few times I run a rifle sniper build, which is rather effective at stun locking my opponent and dealing decent damage all the while. Being able to switch to a melee weapon and back to the rifle quickly offers a great deal more survival options than a ranger has with the usual swap time.

So all in all the rifle is capable of putting out twice the number of bursts at a shorter range and has access to their secondary weapon set for defense more readily than a ranger. Longbow has a better auto attack if the target is at max range, and has a stronger knockback than the rifle. Even a glass warrior has at least 2,000 armor and 20,000 HP which is a nice plus, but the ranger can probably squeeze in more defensive utilities if they aren’t as focused on maximum burst.

Neither build can deal with conditions very well though, unless they want to sacrifice some burst for condition cleansing. This combined with the general squishiness of both builds is what is keeping rifle from being meta, and what will probably stop longbow from being meta in the end.

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Last line for warriors give crit dmg+recharge for f1 and traits for burst skills so thats your best friend if you want to be an int sigil killshot warrior where you need 0 crit chance

Just the WvW
R3200+

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Or it could just be that maybe Rangers should be better at ranged combat than Warriors. :P

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

kill shot can be made unblockable when traited.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: xbutcherx.3861

xbutcherx.3861

mm.. nope there is not trait that does it, only skill that we have to make it unblockable is the signet of might.

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

mm.. nope there is not trait that does it, only skill that we have to make it unblockable is the signet of might.

ohoo… righ tough there was a trait that made burst skills unblockable.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Single shot countered by a highly telegraphed animation such as blind/evade/terrain.

You all are making the assumption that Adrenaline is instant and always available now…there is virtually -0- thought (read: skill floor) to use Rapid Fire on cooldown spam versus the risk of losing Adrenaline pool of Warrior now (on any miss), lose damage bonus, lose health regen, lose counter-condition removal.

Tl;DR It’s a horrible horrible comparison now (it made more sense pre-patch Warrior versus post-patch Ranger). Rapid Fire is easier to use (mobility/multiple projectiles) and spammable on cooldown. Finally, with traits/utilities Rapid Fire actually does more on-demand burst damage

Piercing versus Eagle Eye (both great Ranger talents) is the only downside to Longbow but that’s because of the crazy good GM trait RtW.

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

10 sec basic recharge vs. 10 sec basic recharge
8 sec traited recharge vs. 7 sec traited

First of all, burst skills have minimum cooldown of 7.75 seconds.

Also cooldown starts after the skill has fully finished (casting time + aftercast).

Tested in game. Rapid Fire can be used every 11.66 seconds (8 s cooldown, 2.5s cast, ~1s after cast). Kill Shot can be used every 10.3 seconds (7.75s cooldown. 1.75s cast, ~0.75s aftercast).

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dark FQ.1038

Dark FQ.1038

Warriors pls don t QQ about Rapid Fire or something to be OP. You are still the strongest class ingame so don t QQ.

Dark Fq (Desolation and Gandara)all classes condi. http://www.youtube.com/user/FQDark

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Amusing bit of anecdotal evidence from my time playing around in hotjoin on my rifle/hammer warrior build.

I was able to stalemate a longbow ranger in a 1v1. We both ended up going down after a fairly long duel for a pair of burst builds and I was able to use Vengence to get back up for the stomp, then died on top of him.

Bare in mind I have had my warrior for over a year and still haven’t gotten him to 80. I’m a terrible warrior, but I was still able to be a serious threat to what was actually a somewhat decent ranger (He actually switched to GS when I got close rather than panicing like most of them do).

Anecdotal evidence doesn’t count for much, but saying longbow ranger has a much lower skill floor doesn’t quite hold water if I can take a lower skill ranger with my warrior that I have comparatively little experience with. Unless I’m actually really good with my warrior despite like of experience, which I can assure you I am not.

Like, I am so bad at warrior, guys. So bad.

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Sure. I think its just one more thing what we must learn to handle.
Its a stay close and win or panic and die thing

Just the WvW
R3200+

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

Im still wondering whats the point of this thread

why are you comparing a pvp+pve viable skill to the worst pvp+pve skill of all time.

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

you cant use killshot build that good anymore …

cause you only use it in wvw with signet of fury you buld up 30 adrenaline but now you immediatly lose it again before you can use your killshot…

you always have to be in combat already to use your killshot successfully

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

you cant use killshot build that good anymore …

cause you only use it in wvw with signet of fury you buld up 30 adrenaline but now you immediatly lose it again before you can use your killshot…

you always have to be in combat already to use your killshot successfully

oh man, now it sucks in wvw also? such a shame

Rapid fire vs. Kill shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TrOtskY.5927

TrOtskY.5927

killshot was pure stupdity anyway, and required practically the whole team to be built around it for it to be any use in t-queue.

WvW idc, it’s a rubbish game mode.