Returning, considering Thief - Trouble?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Kyotee.7851

Kyotee.7851

Returning to GW2 and this time focusing on pvp more, both wvw and structured.

I love thief type classes in all games, but I also like to play support throwing buffs, crowd control, and heals. I know they are two totally different play styles… Mad “Deeps” vs Support. I believe the thief can only do the Mad Dps part which is fine.

I’ve been browsing the different forums here in different categories and the general theme seems to be “thieves are done” when it’s anything pvp related.

That concerns me. I don’t have to play the best pvp class. I even enjoy a challenge. Are the buffs to the other classes that significant that the thief class is being left behind?

Please note that I am not trolling. I’m asking a legit question for you experienced PVP players.

I posted this here because it covers all the class balance topics. I didn’t want to double post in both structured pvp and wvw. Was hoping to get opinions here.

Thanks

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

well thief can only provide support through venom share, which remains kinda crappy even after the patch, due to just how much you gotta sacrifice everything else to achieve subpar support.

the thief meta will stay the same, albeit weaker and against some stronger enemies, people will still QQ on forums, and they always will, until ANet deletes the profession (which they won’t, so get used to seeing everyone that’s never played a thief make ridiculous assumptions about how OP you are and how your mechanics work).

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Kyotee.7851

Kyotee.7851

I think I ll just level a thief and guardian. Thank you for responding.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Deifact.3095

Deifact.3095

I don’t think thief support is too bad… At low levels that I am, I use Shadow Protector trait with blinding powder and shadow refuge. This allows me to stealth and heal hurt players who retreat to the back of the zerg in WvW with shadow refuge, or use blinding powder to stealth and regenerate players around me when we have to make a tactical retreat. D/P allows me to blind keep lords with black powder, and I can blast fire fields with blinding powder for aoe might if I want.

Sure it’s not super efficient, but it’s fun, relatively versatile, and doesn’t require too much investment trait wise.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

If you want to level thief, get used to the limited role mentality. You are more than welcome to try things out but in the end you’re going to realize there isn’t a whole lot to choose from on a thief. If you enjoy those builds, then I say go for it and play the game to your liking. If you want real diversity I’d pick another profession.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Thief support exists only in pve, mainly. But you do support your team by helping them killing priority targets, so you got that going for you, wich is nice.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

VShare/Ninja Nurse is good for WvW, but if you’re after sPvP, pick another profession.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

VShare/Ninja Nurse is good for WvW, but if you’re after sPvP, pick another profession.

sorry, my mind just drifted to this after i read that.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

I think I ll just level a thief and guardian. Thank you for responding.

Guardian is very nice to play, it’s surprising how versatile this supportive class is, you can go full dps and still provide good support to your team. Even with lowest HP pool, guardian survivability is just amazing.

Thief also has good dps but it’s mobility why we are picked for pvp.

Thief will be still playable even after the patch, the thing is, most thief players are simply getting tired of the constant QQ and never ending nerfs. Especially those who play multiple classes know how much effort it takes to play thief decently.

I don’t think thief support is too bad… At low levels that I am, I use Shadow Protector trait with blinding powder and shadow refuge. This allows me to stealth and heal hurt players who retreat to the back of the zerg in WvW with shadow refuge, or use blinding powder to stealth and regenerate players around me when we have to make a tactical retreat. D/P allows me to blind keep lords with black powder, and I can blast fire fields with blinding powder for aoe might if I want.

Sure it’s not super efficient, but it’s fun, relatively versatile, and doesn’t require too much investment trait wise.

Most champ/legendary level mobs have Unshakable buff that reduces blind effectiveness to 10%. It’s better to save initiative for something else.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr