[Skill Bar] Engi balance changes (7/25)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

• Power Wrench: Previously delivered crippling blows with your autoattack and your throw wrench ability. This has been folded to the baseline of your toolkit so now you don’t have to equip this trait to maintain that crippling effect. Instead, Power Wrench has been changed to have a 10% damage increase while using the toolkit. Your combo, your pry bar and your thrown wrench abilities will all have the 10% damage increase.
  • Always prepared: previously only dropped bandages for your allies to pick up. Now we added oilslicks so when you go down you will drop a protective ring of oil slick that will knock enemies off.
  • Elite supplies: This trait no longer grant increased duration while using Elixir X. Instead, you now get 50% extra move speed. Tornado has been changed to a lightning field and now you can launch whirling bolts as it is also a whirlwind combo.
  • Accelerate-Packed Turrets: This trait’s knockback distance has been reduced by 50%. Making it go from a 300 range knockback to 150 range. The intention of this trait is to cause disruption among your enemies rather than controlling the area with massive knockbacks.
  • Rocket Turret: Explosive rockets – velocity increased and rockets now track your target.
  • Flamethrower: Increased damage of the flame jet by 33%. Flame Blast detonate changed to a blast finisher. Air Blast – increased the cast time by 1/4 of a second so it has a more delay to it with more tell through the effects (more windup). Napalm – Now does damage on each tick as well as apply burning.
  • Elixir R – Cast time reduced by 1/4 of a second. In addition to refill your endurance you will also remove immobilize.
  • Toss Elixir C – Number of conditions affected by this skill increased from 1 to 2 for all allies affected by it. Launch Personal Battering Ram – Damage increased by 20%
  • Medkit – Drop Antidote will now remove immobilize if you use it while been immobilized.
  • Launch Personal Battering Ram – Damage increased by 20%
  • Utility Goggles – Analyze – this ability now 6s of revealed in addition to the vulnerability it applies.
  • Glue Shot – Increased the velocity of the projectile by 50%
  • AED – We thought this ability was slightly underperforming – will now remove damage conditions when you reach the threshold.

(Thanks to dulfy for transcribing. Will clean up and add more details if I missed something.)

ReadUp: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/c/4743783 (Engi starts at 17:50)

EDIT: Added Napalm

EDIT2: Fixed Elixir S typo. Should have been Elixir X.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

(edited by digitalruse.9085)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

Napalm now does damage on each tick as well as applying burning.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Unless its a bug, I’m sure they meant elixir x not elixir s. And 6s of revealed? Woot! I finally have a way to some control back and deal with all those incredibly annoying stealth thieves.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Nice for PvE, but Napalm dealing damage means it will also apply retaliation. And once it is down, we can’t do anything about it. Could quite backfire on us.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Nice for PvE, but Napalm dealing damage means it will also apply retaliation. And once it is down, we can’t do anything about it. Could quite backfire on us.

Seems somewhat trivial. I would imagine most people would rather stand out of the fire rather than stand in it and cause you a little retaliation damage.

Do we know exactly how much damage it does?

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Nope, but I like to imagine it’ll be 100b damage per tick

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

An interesting note about aed, the tooltip only shows poison, bleed , burn and torment. No confusion and no terror.

EverythingOP

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

I absolutely love the Analyse buff and the Rocket Turret buff.
I actually made a thread where I sugested hte stunning rocket to move faster, but this is much more than i expected.
Also A.E.D is a got a very nice buff.

I Believe I bet 10g that something would happen to A.E.D so, I’ll be waiting.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Do we know exactly how much damage it does?

i saw crits for 192 in the video

looks like itll be a retal liability

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Mnemesis.8257

Mnemesis.8257

Overall I find that most of these changes are a step in the right direction to increasing some viable build options and utility selections. Yet, I am sorely disappointed that once again trait(s) we can only really utilize in a niche environment are being punished without some form of compensation, especially for what is entirely due to the lack of actual PvP content through being force fed King of the Hill under the guise of PvP, WvW, and EOTM.

The basis for vetting this trait’s current functionality reveals a deeper problem that I feel the development team refuses to acknowledge; this King of the Hill environment that undoubtedly encompasses every form of their PvP based domains is both impeding and negatively influencing their concept of “balance”. This is a trait that is entirely build and environment specific, providing little to no application outside of said realm. We have just been told that this is/was meant to be an “interruption” rather than manipulation of our enemies, which is entirely justifiable in my mind, but the problem remains that there is no form of compensation being provided for such a severe handicap as reducing kb by 50%.

Do I feel that this skill functions too well given the current environment that it is being used most? Absolutely. However, it took two years for turrets to reach an “OK” status despite remaining bugs, which makes me believe this will only set a precedent for satisfying future demands to inhibit their functionality once more. Therefor, due to the reduction in KB potential there should be some sort of compensation in the form CC, such as Immob/cripple, Daze, or Blind. This is a trait that (I feel) was truly intended to punish other players for targeting turrets when applied in a build theme, but has since been abused in an extremely stifled setting(s).

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

turret engis got nerfed, thats smth good!

overall , engi got buffed besides turret engi, wich is awesome! i dont play engi but happy for u ppl!

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Profession Balance

Mnemesis.8257

overall , engi got buffed besides turret engi, wich is awesome! i dont play engi but happy for u ppl!

I have to disagree here. It’s not that turrets have been nerfed, it is more accurate to say that a trait useless in every aspect of the game other than the poorly constructed PvP ambients has effectively been made even more useless than before. What irks me about this situation is that rather th@n using this as an opportunity to reconstruct this trait into an ability that has some actual merit, someone took the easy road and modified a few numbers instead to bandage an extremely niche oriented problem. This is taking the community back to the previous situation where skills like turrets were being altered without current viability and functionality being fully assessed.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

I have to disagree here. It’s not that turrets have been nerfed, it is more accurate to say that a trait useless in every aspect of the game other than the poorly constructed PvP ambients has effectively been made even more useless than before. What irks me about this situation is that rather th@n using this as an opportunity to reconstruct this trait into an ability that has some actual merit, someone took the easy road and modified a few numbers instead to bandage an extremely niche oriented problem. This is taking the community back to the previous situation where skills like turrets were being altered without current viability and functionality being fully assessed.

well i am a pvp/wvw roamer so its awesome for me i guess

turret engi knockback was always driving me crazy

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Profession Balance

Bombsaway.7198

Very modest changes to the engineer. Having FT be viable is quite exciting.
2 things that really could make an impact:

1. Quick blast finisher on FT (6 seconds or less) really allows for far more fields we drop to be blasted (think light, fire, smoke, etc). This will be extremely important for survivorability too. Sure we have a LOT of blast finishers, but this one has a very short ICD.

2. Utility Goggles may be a great tool for roaming given you will be able to negate the biggest threat of a thief (then glue shot them with a faster projectile and melt melt melt).

Minor things:

1. Tool Kit will allow you to land more melee with cripple being applied across all sorts of ranged (throw wrench) and auto attack functions.

2. Lots more bleed and burn builds predicted especially with runes of Krait

3. You MIGHT see some heal skill diversity especially in smaller groups. MedKit heals very nicely and now you can remove immob. Not quite the condition removal of HT but the heals are better and the “on swap” potential is amazing. AED could be great 1v1.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Silinsar.6298

Silinsar.6298

Overall I find that most of these changes are a step in the right direction to increasing some viable build options and utility selections. Yet, I am sorely disappointed that once again trait(s) we can only really utilize in a niche environment are being punished without some form of compensation, especially for what is entirely due to the lack of actual PvP content through being force fed King of the Hill under the guise of PvP, WvW, and EOTM.

The basis for vetting this trait’s current functionality reveals a deeper problem that I feel the development team refuses to acknowledge; this King of the Hill environment that undoubtedly encompasses every form of their PvP based domains is both impeding and negatively influencing their concept of “balance”. This is a trait that is entirely build and environment specific, providing little to no application outside of said realm. We have just been told that this is/was meant to be an “interruption” rather than manipulation of our enemies, which is entirely justifiable in my mind, but the problem remains that there is no form of compensation being provided for such a severe handicap as reducing kb by 50%.

Do I feel that this skill functions too well given the current environment that it is being used most? Absolutely. However, it took two years for turrets to reach an “OK” status despite remaining bugs, which makes me believe this will only set a precedent for satisfying future demands to inhibit their functionality once more. Therefor, due to the reduction in KB potential there should be some sort of compensation in the form CC, such as Immob/cripple, Daze, or Blind. This is a trait that (I feel) was truly intended to punish other players for targeting turrets when applied in a build theme, but has since been abused in an extremely stifled setting(s).

I guess you’re refering to Accelerant Packed Turrets. As someone who’s been using this trait ever since it was moved to adept and ran it in experimental builds before, I can tell you I was afraid of the “turret engi nerf” carrying over to offensive CC focused builds. Like moving APT tiers up again or even total removal of the KB.
In my opinion, reducing the KB distance is one of the best nerfs you can apply to this trait. It limits your influence on your opponents position but it makes it easier to follow up with close range attacks and will allow for better focus damage since you won’t knock your foe out of every allies’ AoE effects.

Regarding “compensation CC”: KB’s are basically stuns which move your opponent. A knockback disables casting and movement/dodging for about 1,4-1,5sec (afaik it’s the same for every KB, no matter the distance, at least War hammer #4 disables as long as engi rifle self-KB). CC effects don’t stack. So there’s no need for a compensation CC when the original one is still working like before.

The good thing about this nerf is that it isn’t just a nerf. It’s a change, it lowers this traits potential in areas and situations where it may be too strong while still maintaining it’s disable capability and even making it more useful in different situations. It makes it less of a knockback but more of a lockdown. Imo a very well applied nerf/change.

We’ve seen much much worse things from Anet *cough Kit Refinement *cough

Overall I think the announced changes are pretty good. Surely also depends on what the other classes will get and what we’ll have to deal with, but so far I’m positively surprized.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

I’m really excited for the Flamethrower changes. I use a FT/Elixir HGH power build that is already pretty effective but now that Flame Jet might actually be worth using I can finally use that as my AA instead of only swapping to it for the 2,3, and 5 skills. Play smart and you can get a blast finisher in the Napalm for more might.

Can’t wait to be basically a Pyro, gotta look out for retal but maybe I can fit in Acidic Elixirs or something. I don’t really foresee it being a massive problem considering it’s mostly a burst build anyways.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

Flamethrower damage boost new pyrotank coming soon!

But on a serious note, I am way beyond excited for all the coming changes as There will finally be a shift in the meta. So far I have been very pleased and impressed by anet’s balancing. Can’t wait to see whats next! PLEASE BE MESMER!

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

that flame blast blast finishing, a 4 1/2 second blast finisher, this is awesome to the utmost intensity.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

also that new elixir x, supply kit is great for its aoe stun in team fights, potential replacement?

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Unless its a bug, I’m sure they meant elixir x not elixir s. And 6s of revealed? Woot! I finally have a way to some control back and deal with all those incredibly annoying stealth thieves.

new roaming duo gonna be power LB/GS ranger + condi bunker nade engi. 2x 6sec revealed + hefty AOE and insane single target spike.
Anyone wanna be friends with my ranger? Play on Crystal Desert in NA :P

As for the other changes, im not that well versed with engi, but i like a few of them as ive tried those traits a couple of times before.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

new roaming duo gonna be power LB/GS ranger + condi bunker nade engi. 2x 6sec revealed + hefty AOE and insane single target spike.
Anyone wanna be friends with my ranger? Play on Crystal Desert in NA :P

As for the other changes, im not that well versed with engi, but i like a few of them as ive tried those traits a couple of times before.

it’s entirely likely that other classes will be getting Revealed application, and they just didn’t tell us about it because it’s only the engi/ranger skillbar :p

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ezeriel.9574

Ezeriel.9574

first off, THANK YOU ANET!!!!

second, what about Incendiary Ammo? the 60 second cooldown is so harsh….

….and lets not forget the elixir gun’s Fumigate skill, which could really use some love.

The only way to play the engineer is to exploit it.
Playing the engineer “as intended” is simply not viable.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Good start – now lets talk about the hobo-sacks ….

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

….and lets not forget the elixir gun’s Fumigate skill, which could really use some love.

Seriously? Is it an AoE damage, AoE debuff, AoE condition removal that removes multiple conditions from multiple targets, all on a 12s CD. How on earth you do figure it needs anything?

I wouldn’t have minded seeing a base cool down reduction on slick shoes to 40s though.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

(edited by coglin.1867)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Actually it’s simply a good condi cleanse that’s all. And that’s enough.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

• Utility Goggles – Analyze – this ability now 6s of revealed in addition to the vulnerability it applies.

This is incredibly scary. Elixir S, Mass Invisibility, and Shadow Refuge might be useless for saving downed players now.

I’m worried this skill will push all stealth out of the meta, because it’s actually viable, unlike “Sic ’em”.

Also Utility Goggles completely hard counters D/P thief, with immunity to blind and a forced reveal, which can be used after a black powder is noticed to give engi’s the benefit of flight ahead of the thief’s initiative without them being able to stealth. Engi’s already do counter thieves very hard anyways though.

I don’t know what the thief version of power creep will be, but at this point it seems like everyone will be playing S/D Crit or Acro after this update.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Eh, that skill is reason alone to pick the Elixir Gun.
What is weak about it? Cone-AE condition removal and poison. What’s not to like?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Black para goner.7612

Black para goner.7612

Thwack skill on the tool kit should have the cast time reduced to 1/2.

Reason why
The two first attacks in the chain both:

• Inflict vulnerability
  • Hit up to 3 people

While the 3rd chain attack:

• Doesn’t inflict vulnerability
  • Hits one target.
  • Scales better with power then the other two.

10% increase of dmg to toolkit will be great, only thing is toolkit only has 3 power scaling skills. Making the auto attack better on toolkit may finally open up a meele type engi build

Nova Bushido Top Charr Engineer, AG IRQ.
Predator | Quip | Flameseeker | Juggernaut

(edited by Black para goner.7612)

in Profession Balance

Mnemesis.8257

I guess you’re refering to Accelerant Packed Turrets. As someone who’s been using this trait ever since it was moved to adept and ran it in experimental builds before, I can tell you I was afraid of the “turret engi nerf” carrying over to offensive CC focused builds. Like moving APT tiers up again or even total removal of the KB.

I completely agree that a worse hand could have been dealt given the situation. However, this is a trait that I have never considered valuable outside of Player based environments, which is why I am disappointed that it will continue to remain a trait that has too specific of a role to be considered for PvE content; more so when it means sacrificing a turret to trigger an effect.

Regarding “compensation CC”: KB’s are basically stuns which move your opponent. A knockback disables casting and movement/dodging for about 1,4-1,5sec (afaik it’s the same for every KB, no matter the distance, at least War hammer #4 disables as long as engi rifle self-KB). CC effects don’t stack. So there’s no need for a compensation CC when the original one is still working like before.

I concede to this point, but only if APT were to remain an adept trait. I think this trait has the potential to become something better in regards to application across the entirety of the game instead of King of the Hill combat. If APT were to be swapped back to Master level, then it could use a bump such as unblockable and ICD (5s?) to prevent extreme abuse. However, I am in agreement that it severely needed the kb reduction as it was too powerful without an ICD in the adept tier.

The good thing about this nerf is that it isn’t just a nerf. It’s a change, it lowers this traits potential in areas and situations where it may be too strong while still maintaining it’s disable capability and even making it more useful in different situations. It makes it less of a knockback but more of a lockdown. Imo a very well applied nerf/change.

This is where I am of an entirely different mind set. This alteration does nothing to give the trait any playability outside of its current pigeon hole. Can I use this to CC trash mobs inside dungeons? Certainly! Will it be worth spend 2 points in order to do so? In a vastly disproportionate and realistic sense… no. I am merely trying to illustrate that APT is suffering from a severe problem where it really only has one realm of influence. Outside of that sphere of applicability there is little to no use at all for considering APT as an integral part of one’s build.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

These engie buffs are all sort of ridiculous from a PvE perspective.

Anet really needs to start considering the ridiculous impact some of these changes will have on class balance in modes outside of sPvP. I realize that PvP balance is “more important” because no one likes being bodied by an overpowered profession, but I don’t think anyone really likes being kicked from a party in favor of an overpowered profession in PvE either. And given that it’s an MMO and not a MOBA or whatever I think PvE deserves at least equal balancing attention since I’d really be surprised if people who only PvP were any sort of substantial subset of the game population.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

What is ridiculous about them from a PvE perspective? As I see it, the flame thrower will have more PvE viability with its auto attack. The same goes for the tool kit. how do any of these changes hurt engineers in PvE?

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Profession Balance

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

These engie buffs are all sort of ridiculous from a PvE perspective.

Anet really needs to start considering the ridiculous impact some of these changes will have on class balance in modes outside of sPvP. I realize that PvP balance is “more important” because no one likes being bodied by an overpowered profession, but I don’t think anyone really likes being kicked from a party in favor of an overpowered profession in PvE either. And given that it’s an MMO and not a MOBA or whatever I think PvE deserves at least equal balancing attention since I’d really be surprised if people who only PvP were any sort of substantial subset of the game population.

i dont understand
tk doesnt matter in pve except for gear shield, mobs dont have any cleanses so spamming cripples at the cost of some dps is irrelevant.
ft has always been worse than bombs and still will be for auto attacking, and there arent any changes to nades which is approximately 99% of reasons to take an engi in the dungeon party
revealed is a pvp change, gosh some of those inquest in dry top have stealth itll be SO useful.
elixir C doesnt do a thing in pve, i think ive used it once in swamp fractal when i was like omg i dont feel like using B for swiftness, ill try C… and then i switched it off and havent put it back since
AED is worse than bad atm. it could possibly possibly find a niche in pve but healing turret is (and will still be) just better

but are you lumping wvw in with not-spvp?
then yes, the tk change is lol, i agree. but everything else is underused and you can pretty much always bet on an engi that doesnt take anything (besides tk) listed in the buff section over one that does.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

What is ridiculous about them from a PvE perspective? As I see it, the flame thrower will have more PvE viability with its auto attack. The same goes for the tool kit. how do any of these changes hurt engineers in PvE?

I don’t think I ever said they were nerfs.

A 6/6/0/0/2 engie with Fireforged Trigger gets a blast finisher on a 5 second cooldown, meaning he can either go Nades/Bombs/FT to get a fire field on 10s cd for super fast might blasting. Alternately, he can go Nades/FT/E-Gun for massive DPS (almost ele tier with perfect rotation) and not even have to give up any might or vuln stacking.

Meanwhile ranger changes don’t help them even a tiny bit in PvE. We’ll have to see what changes the other classes get but I wager they’ll be buffing the already-OP professions and doing nothing for the crappy ones, just because that’s how PvP breaks down.

in Profession Balance

Bombsaway.7198

Don’t forget to use the reveal you need a target. No target, no analyze. So you will see one enemy assuming, you catch them unstealthed to target them first. Just seeing a smoke field, won’t let you target the thief.