Steal is currently broken.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: matze.7926

matze.7926

Hey im Matze. Me and every other thief playing pvp in this game got frustrated playing in the last few days. Why? Steal! I found this out, while duelling. And this bugs are completely gamebreaking. Please fix this ASAP, as it makes the thief nearly unplayable. Steal is designed to be a skillshot with the current traits available. But at the Moment it is NOT. Let me explain you why:

1. If you Steal, you have to stay next to your Target for like 1/4 a second. If you Steal and port away fast with shadowstep or shadowstrike + steal you MISS your Steal.

2. Steal has a 1/4s delay before it hits, means you can also hit somebody after you are dead. For example-> i try to Steal on the Earthshaker of a warrior that would kill me in order to Interrupt it. He kills me -> steal hits when im in downed mode. This is NOT about my Hardware.

3. Steal sometimes randomly doesnt hit, when the target is on a higher ground then you are, or when the target is LOS. Sometimes you get the port but dont hit the ability.

4. When you Steal might from a target ,with the trait Bountiful Theft, the mightstacks dissappear. For example: A warrior has 20 stacks might. You Steal them -> 19 stacks might dissappear and you get 1 stack of might from the Steal. If you remove them with the sword/dagger ability Larcenous Strike you get the full 20 stacks.

5. Basilisk venom sometimes does NOT work if used with Steal. This is extremely random and buggy.

Please hotfix this.

Sincerely Matze

(edited by matze.7926)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: thechamp.3092

thechamp.3092

It’s true that steal is really buggy since the last patch or 2 patches ago, it shouldn’t be possible that something like phase retreat can random dodge steal.

Shad

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Gakeman.5296

Gakeman.5296

Approved. Steal is buggy as kitten lately.

Red Levin

in Profession Balance

Posted by: JuThai.7941

JuThai.7941

True. I did some 1v1s versus different thieves on my mesmer and they do seem to fail steal a lot – Up to the extent where it’s actually broken. This started to happen with the last patch.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TheBandicoot.5294

TheBandicoot.5294

Its not only steal, its also other teleporting abilities which fail alot. But one after one.

One or two patches ago ArenaNet “fixed” Steal by preventing a thief from stealing on a target which is in range, but not physically reachable. This “fix” seems to be a check based on the position of the thief: Thief uses Steal. If Thief next to target, then steal item, apply buffs etc. If Thief not next to target, do not steal item, do not apply buffs etc. However, this makes Steal go on full cooldown because the target actually is in range.

Now that would not be that bad if teleporting istelf wasnt buggy already. More than often i shadowstep to my target, only to be zipped back instantly because the server was like " no, you cannot shadowstep over there. There is a small stone in your path". Another thing is that this check actually takes time, which is why all steal related effects apply about .5 seconds later. When my theory is correct, the server checks your actual position beforehand, thus it takes three times your usual latency to finally activate steal.

As Matze has pointed out already, this leads to numerous problems. The delay prevents using steal as an interrupt for critical actions like Eartshaker, Eviscerate, Heartseeker etc. One is that the interrupt may proc AFTER the target has finished its move, the other is that because of the delay you get ported to target´s position, but when the interrupt would proc, the target is out of range already, thus resulting in a missed Steal with full CD. This issue also makes Steal dodgeable / blindable /blockable after it has been used and you teleported to the target
Then there´s the infamous BP-Shot + HS +Steal combo, or CND precast + Steal combo. Because of the delay you get instantly revealed if you use Steal with traited Mug too late, as Mug may proc after you entered stealth even though you activated Steal before entering stealth.

Ways to fix this are a) revert the last change to Steal and remove that position check as it takes way too much time to get through. All above issues magnify themselves by multiples once you´re lagging due to connection or server problems. And b) – finally get rid of the godkittenawful pathfinding for shadowsteps / teleports. This needs to be improved dramaticly. Flatten the ground collision map, or make the pathfinding AI be more generous. if needed, get rid of the pathfinding for teleports and make all teleportation skills work like Mesmer portals. Manually mark all areas which are eligible for teleporting and simply disallow teleportation from one area into another in order to prevent people from teleporting onto walls, through doors and stuff like that.

Final note @Matze:
“4. When you Steal might from a target ,with the trait Bountiful Theft, the mightstacks dissappear. For example: A warrior has 20 stacks might. You Steal them -> 19 stacks might dissappear and you get 1 stack of might from the Steal. If you remove them with the sword/dagger ability Larcenous Strike you get the full 20 stacks.”
This probably ain´t a bug but. This is how Bountiful Theft has always worked, sadly. Bountiful Theft never actually transfered boons from target to self and allies, but rather stripped x,y,z boon from target and reapplied x,y,z boon with fixed duration to self and allies. Test it out, you always get the same duration and number of stacks (1) of the stripped boon, no matter if said boon lasted one second or one minute on the target and no matter if there was one stack or 25 stacks of said boon on the target. This is ArenaNet´s impressive skill of writing accurate trait tooltips :S

in Profession Balance

matze.7926

Well this pretty much sums it up thanks

PS: If Bountiful Theft is intended to work this way, this is pretty sad.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: niodeon.9761

niodeon.9761

Agreed about new steal bugs (teleporting on “Obsructed” targets), and about applying stun venom with steal.
But BT worked this way as far as I remember and its described on wiki: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bountiful_Theft

(edited by niodeon.9761)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Tamyr.3271

Tamyr.3271

This topic is ranger approved!

But yes , it’s bugged. Or is this a new feature? Anet there are many bugs atm especially in PvP , this is kinda ridiculous.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Steve.6529

Steve.6529

Do something already Anet.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: xbutcherx.3861

xbutcherx.3861

And this bugs are completely gamebreaking. “Please fix this ASAP, as it makes the thief nearly unplayable”.

Sincerely Matze

LOL

in Profession Balance

matze.7926

And this bugs are completely gamebreaking. “Please fix this ASAP, as it makes the thief nearly unplayable”.

Sincerely Matze

LOL

Ok well, I was exaggerating a little bit xD. But its annoying as kitten!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TheBandicoot.5294

TheBandicoot.5294

Well, not that much exaggerating to be honest. Because in Trickery builds Steal is a major component. Its a Heal, small attack, daze, poison source, initiative source, and a source for swiftness, fury, might and vigor. if steal fails because of a bug you are left with swiftness, fury and might. That, at least to me, is kind of game-breaking.

And remember – the problem with being stuck after teleports or failing teleports on even ground affects a thief a lot.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Please support the followin thread if you are a thief:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Thief-Bugs-10-Updated-July-25/first#post4237510

Its in there.
I’m in need of video’s for each bug. So donations in that form may make the process of bug fixing faster.

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay