The patch on the 21st of January - a hoax

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sasajoe.1509

Sasajoe.1509

It’s already 21st of January & the day is passing but where is the patch?

Does anyone have idea at what time GMT +/- are they going to patch the game ?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

Well, for one, ArenaNet is an American company stationed in the West Coast. If you were to look at the date and time over there at the moment of myself posting this, it is 4:33 PST on Tuesday January 21, 2014. Their work day has yet to even start.

From past experiance, they tend to have an update up anywhere between 10:00 AM PST to 12:00 PM PST. Though, I’ve never kept track of all their update times.

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

in Profession Balance

Sasajoe.1509

Well, for one, ArenaNet is an American company stationed in the West Coast. If you were to look at the date and time over there at the moment of myself posting this, it is 4:33 PST on Tuesday January 21, 2014. Their work day has yet to even start.

From past experiance, they tend to have an update up anywhere between 10:00 AM PST to 12:00 PM PST. Though, I’ve never kept track of all their update times.

Thank you.

in Profession Balance

Sasajoe.1509

Just patched the game & guess my surprise no new sigils no new traits / skills nothing … what a disappointment … why do they promise balance changes & then it turns out they lie ??

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Nabbo.2845

Nabbo.2845

Just patched the game & guess my surprise no new sigils no new traits / skills nothing … what a disappointment … why do they promise balance changes & then it turns out they lie ??

Those changes? Lol you gotta wait a couple months.. at least.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

Those were never slated for today. In fact, those balance changes probably do not exist in anything resembling a concrete state yet.

in Profession Balance

Sasajoe.1509

If the patch was only to add more PvE crap then i guess this has already become a Diablo 3 clone i.e. a dead failure game soon.

Cya, going to twitch.com in search of more popular (balanced) games

in Profession Balance

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Those were never slated for today. In fact, those balance changes probably do not exist in anything resembling a concrete state yet.

They said “next update” which is today.

In fairness to ANET, they did say they would only include the items that were good ideas. Maybe they didn’t like any of their ideas?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

Guess they decided to scrap the whole idea.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: AlexEBT.7240

AlexEBT.7240

Guys the balance update is for the big features patch after the living story season 1 finale. It was never slated for today.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

If the patch was only to add more PvE crap then i guess this has already become a Diablo 3 clone i.e. a dead failure game soon.

Cya, going to twitch.com in search of more popular (balanced) games

You mistakenly assumed something would be in the patch, even though it makes no sense — why would they preview a balance patch 3 days before release? — and then when it isn’t in the patch, decided the game is a “dead failure” and you’re going to play something else.

Threads like these are why developers are reluctant to participate on game forums.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ghostextechnica.3270

Ghostextechnica.3270

How did you guys misunderstand?

They said it was stated for the next “balance update”.

The one today is a “Living Story” update.

They are splitting them out this year as they found that when they combined them, people focused on the wrong thing. (i.e. if the update contained awesome new content, but only minor balance changes – too many people complained about the balance changes and it distracted from the new content).

When I get that feeling I want… spectral healing.

in Profession Balance

Sasajoe.1509

I don’t know if they (the devs) are blind or plain dumb not seeing/understanding that a game of pve & minor pvp is doomed to a very short life.
Players vs Players – in what ever gaming mode – demands CONSTANT balance which is being avoided deliberately here thus the diagnosis ( the exactly correct term because those devs are some nasty parasites & are poisoning it)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Xunleashed.5271

Xunleashed.5271

I don’t know if they (the devs) are blind or plain dumb not seeing/understanding that a game of pve & minor pvp is doomed to a very short life.
Players vs Players – in what ever gaming mode – demands CONSTANT balance which is being avoided deliberately here thus the diagnosis ( the exactly correct term because those devs are some nasty parasites & are poisoning it)

totally agree

They just avoid problems… WvW is brainless laggy zerg farming loot bags most of time. PvP is poor, same game modes as the start, same low itemization, same broken glory system. Balance is too slow and sometimes stupid (like diamond skin trait), the meta is horrible.

And u know what? Moar living story

Xunleashed [BT] – Elementalist
WvW Videos Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/XunleashedGW2

(edited by Xunleashed.5271)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: LelouchViBritannia.3607

LelouchViBritannia.3607

They are splitting them out this year as they found that when they combined them, people focused on the wrong thing. (i.e. if the update contained awesome new content, but only minor balance changes – too many people complained about the balance changes and it distracted from the new content).

They said “next feature patch”. A feature patch is a defined term in software development, meaning it was today’s patch.

The balance changed aren’t in meaning they STRAIGHT UP LIED ON THE STREAM.

I command you to be AWESOME.

in Profession Balance

Ghostextechnica.3270

They said “next feature patch”. A feature patch is a defined term in software development, meaning it was today’s patch.

Yes I’m in software dev too, but somehow I didn’t misunderstand what they meant.

Anet have responded here if you’re interested

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/So-no-pvp-changes-this-patch/page/2

in Profession Balance

LelouchViBritannia.3607

Yes I’m in software dev too, but somehow I didn’t misunderstand what they meant.

Anet have responded here if you’re interested

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/So-no-pvp-changes-this-patch/page/2

Then you don’t know what feature patch means.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Next

To clear up the confusion, the balance updates will be in the next feature build – a build that adds features to the game. The next feature build will take place after the Living World season has finished. Today’s update added another chapter to the Living World story arc.

Here’s a quote from Colin’s blog post last year on the subject:

Due to the size and scope of the final four story releases in season one, the next round of major features will be bundled together into a large “feature only” release that will come after the first season of the Living World 2014 has finished. Once the story has completed, we’ll go into much greater detail on what’s to follow, but for now we want to focus on making sure our last four episodes shine.

The above is what we were referring to on the livestream with ‘feature build’. As I mentioned in my post on the PvP forums earlier today, previewing something on Friday and releasing it on the next Tuesday would give us an incredibly small amount of time to react to feedback – and that wouldn’t be fair to you.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

ah, that makes a lot of sense. thanks for clearing that up
wish it had been clear from the start, but yeah

in Profession Balance

LelouchViBritannia.3607

ITT devs trying to wiggle their way out by arguing semantics.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Swimfan.8014

Swimfan.8014

The new story event is a joke. Laggy as hell and the best part is: For every non-heavy-armor wearer it’s just dying over and over and over again without even seeing what is going on.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

To clear up the confusion, the balance updates will be in the next feature build

I completely understand, that most of the balance change take a lot of time to think and plan about, and may often only be necessary in the context of a big list of changes (f.e. the planned change for Dhuumfire).

But still, there are a lot of minor changes which I would really prefer if they’ll be implemented as quick as possible (F.e. Pin Down)

Another good example would be the change to the Healing Signet. Ofc we would all prefer a change with a good active effect, but couldn’t you just have the passive reduced by a small amount in the meantime?

You told us, that the Spirit of Ranger is bugged. There are some small bugfixes in todays patch, why not the fix the passive healing?

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in Profession Balance

LelouchViBritannia.3607

Hell even SWTOR has more balance patches than this game, and that’s saying a LOT.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

ITT a bunch of whiny kids with entitlement issues.

That said, they are gd slow when it comes to balancing.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

in Profession Balance

LelouchViBritannia.3607

ITT a dude who thinks paying customers complaining about legitimate issues about being lied to makes them “whiny kids”.

in Profession Balance

Sasajoe.1509

Ppl I know Josh Davis does his job & has no fault for the current state of the game – he’s not the one actually making the changes.

I will hold my spite and anger for this post, but currently the best constructive criticism I can give to the Balance team is to implement some changes NOW !!!!!!!!!!! (i can’t stress it more)

The current state of profession balance is complete mess & the forums burning show it those thousands topics “x class is better/OP” (which in most cases is true)
people are not blind and they see when something is overpowered – underpowered

& one more thing to add – while the developers add more living story stuff most of the playerbase is ditching the game exactly because of poor balance.

It doesn’t really matter whether you clarify the info from the stream to the community or not, the point is people are unsatisfied with the current balance state ( and they are right) & the balance changes must be done as soon as possible even before the living story bullkitten

When I play a game I usually get excited from the news of lets say new dungeon event, I go to it, finish it once & then it starts to get boring.

That’s a simple example of how you should make your game not a grind fest

While when I fight players I never really get tired of pummeling that other guy’s head with tons of bricks, & this is the human element which makes every fight different from the previous = interesting.

This human element is missing in fighting vs a giant npc wurm or boar whatever … after 1-2-3 times they get boring.

Honestly even my nephew sees this …

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

ITT a dude who thinks paying customers complaining about legitimate issues about being lied to makes them “whiny kids”.

Just because you pay them doesn’t mean your issues move to the top of the queue. They gave you a timetable, what more do you want?

in Profession Balance

Sasajoe.1509

Just because you pay them doesn’t mean your issues move to the top of the queue. They gave you a timetable, what more do you want?

Well i see your point BUT those timetables have been around for long enough & honestly seeing the timetable doesn’t warm my heart as much as the actual change

There was a saying in economics – Money today is generally worth more than money tomorrow – that is true for getting the satisfaction value (having fun playing) of a game like GW2.

As I said in my prev post ppl want balance NOW !

(edited by Sasajoe.1509)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

To clear up the confusion, the balance updates will be in the next feature build – a build that adds features to the game. The next feature build will take place after the Living World season has finished. Today’s update added another chapter to the Living World story arc.

Due to the size and scope of the final four story releases in season one, the next round of major features will be bundled together into a large “feature only” release that will come after the first season of the Living World 2014 has finished. Once the story has completed, we’ll go into much greater detail on what’s to follow, but for now we want to focus on making sure our last four episodes shine.

The above is what we were referring to on the livestream with ‘feature build’. As I mentioned in my post on the PvP forums earlier today, previewing something on Friday and releasing it on the next Tuesday would give us an incredibly small amount of time to react to feedback – and that wouldn’t be fair to you.

Would teasing rangers with “something amazing is coming” be fair?

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Profession Balance

LelouchViBritannia.3607

What more do I want? How about not being balantly lied to? I.e. promising that balance changes would be in the next feature patch. Then today the feature patch comes and no balance changes at all.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

A feature patch is a defined term in software development, meaning it was today’s patch.

No it’s not. Do a google search and you won’t see any support for your claim that it’s a “defined term in software development”.

They said multiple times that the next feature patch would be after the current story ends.

in Profession Balance

LelouchViBritannia.3607

A feature patch is a defined term in software development, meaning it was today’s patch.

No it’s not. Do a google search and you won’t see any support for your claim that it’s a “defined term in software development”.

They said multiple times that the next feature patch would be after the current story ends.

I work for more than 15 years in the software business I don’t need to do a google search to know what a feature patch is.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

I would pay them money if they postponed the last 3 story arcs for the feature patch. It’s very telling about the state of the game when balance changes are worth way more to a lot of people than the “story” content. How long does it really take to get some tweaking done to some classes? Most of it is just changing some numbers in a database/formula. I’d say they spent time testing to make sure the changes were balanced but just look at the current balance that they’ve “tested”. The worst part is that it will have been 4 months since the last underwhelming balance patch and it will still be a huge letdown. I have yet to hear of anything in the feature patch that warrants it being it’s own patch. Everything from ferocity, sigils/runes, class balance, etc are all things that SHOULD be put in alongside story content. Every other MMO developer can do it, why can’t ArenaNet?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dynnen.6405

Dynnen.6405

React to feedback? Hehehehehe

in Profession Balance

Posted by: woeye.2753

woeye.2753

I would pay them money if they postponed the last 3 story arcs for the feature patch. It’s very telling about the state of the game when balance changes are worth way more to a lot of people than the “story” content. How long does it really take to get some tweaking done to some classes? Most of it is just changing some numbers in a database/formula. I’d say they spent time testing to make sure the changes were balanced but just look at the current balance that they’ve “tested”. The worst part is that it will have been 4 months since the last underwhelming balance patch and it will still be a huge letdown. I have yet to hear of anything in the feature patch that warrants it being it’s own patch. Everything from ferocity, sigils/runes, class balance, etc are all things that SHOULD be put in alongside story content. Every other MMO developer can do it, why can’t ArenaNet?

Because for those kind of changes you need software developers. People who actually can write code. Those type of employees are much more expensive than content creators. This is especially a problem in a F2P game where most of the money comes from the item shop (aka gem store). And it is even more a problem in GW2 where PvP doesn’t generate any income worth mentioning.

in Profession Balance

LelouchViBritannia.3607

Because for those kind of changes you need software developers. People who actually can write code. Those type of employees are much more expensive than content creators. This is especially a problem in a F2P game where most of the money comes from the item shop (aka gem store). And it is even more a problem in GW2 where PvP doesn’t generate any income worth mentioning.

It’s not our fault that arenanet doesn’t give us anything worth spending money on in pvp though. Finishers were a nice start but they need more stuff to monetize on.

I’d gladly pay some money if it meant pvp would get faster and better balance updates.

in Profession Balance

Sasajoe.1509

I work for more than 15 years in the software business I don’t need to do a google search to know what a feature patch is.

Man, I’ve no idea who you are, but every post I can see from you is either fighting a player, arguing semantics or just general kittenery. I would consider taking some sort of relief medication or I am honestly afraid for your general well-being.

Actually LelouchViBritannia.3607 has right & I will stand by him or everyone in his situation (mine also) because when i come home from work i want to find a relief & fun in the game I’m playing .. It’s my hobby.

As it is now I only get more stress & kitten & unbalanced bullcrap which maddens me even further as if I’m having a second shift at work.
There is no actual point of playing a game this unbalanced with devs that lie to the community for so long.

If people don’t get their fun here they find it elsewhere – & this explains the fleeing playerbase from gw2.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Grouch, will you continue to apply balance changes in 4+ months intervals?

This is not enough for my standards and the current state of the game. I would like to know so that quitting becomes easier. With biweekly PvE content patches I would expect more frequent class balance changes. I don’t want to continue to invest time in a game where developement ressources are balanced like that.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Black Scoutsman.5830

Black Scoutsman.5830

I realize the need to fully hash out the potential effects of balance changes, but isnt that what your internal testing crew is supposed to be for? If you wait until the end of this living story season to start implementing the basic things that have been needed for balance for months now, you might find yourself balancing an empty game, because people are dropping like flies. My in game friends/followers list used to be full of green dots every time I signed on, and lately i’m lucky if there are one or two. I dont mean to be disresptectful, but you guys are writing the book on how to kill a game with your update pace. forcing people to deal with 4+ months of terrible balance that is dominated by one maybe two classes in all 3 game types is a great way to get everyone to switch to that class, or outright quit.

Human Warrior, Ranger and dedicated Scout of Yaks bend
The Pinnacle of Resposibility [Mom]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: woeye.2753

woeye.2753

Yeah, it’s really saddening. This game had so much potential. But ANet screwed up big time. Funny how the most cheesy builds are also the most powerful builds. Take the ranger for example. Most rangers I know hate the spirit ranger build. Yet you have to play it because it’s so kitten powerful. Or MM necros. But it’s not just PvP. PvE has all kinds of problems, too. Wanna play a necro in LFG? Good luck with that. Wanna play an engineer in an organized WvW group? Good luck with that.
GW2 is awesome artwork on the outer side. But once you look behind the scene things get very, very ugly.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I’ve worked more than 17 years in the software industry, it’s not a formally defined term as a simple Google search will show. :-)

Every company I’ve worked in has their own terminology, their own definitions, I think you’re confusing those for some sort of standard.

In ArenaNet this is not a feature patch because it doesn’t add any features like the LFG tool or the wallet, it’s a content patch.

They said the next feature patch would come after the current story wraps up.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dynnen.6405

Dynnen.6405

Actually gemstore purchases go to NCSoft, and they decide where the money goes. So grats! You’ve been funding a spammy, gimicy, wow player-poaching game called Wildstar!

in Profession Balance

Ghostextechnica.3270

Every company I’ve worked in has their own terminology, their own definitions, I think you’re confusing those for some sort of standard.

Same experience for me.

I think the real issue is the following:

Yup, if Person A has difficulty comprehending what person B says, does that mean that Person B is lying?

It appears most of us understood just fine. All the information was there.

Saying Anet was lying is disingenuous and implies that they were trying to trick you into thinking changes were coming today.

in Profession Balance

Sasajoe.1509

hmm I’ll go check that Wildstar you say of, who knows might turn better than gw2 (with ease).

in Profession Balance

Posted by: xFireize.6318

xFireize.6318

Well, I thought it was today too. I guess I was too excited for the changes. It was rather fast considering the preview came only a few days ago, but I thought it was reasonable because the way I look at it, Anet finally snapped and realized that they were being dumb when they designed the game’s basic components, such as sigils and runes.

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend
Why bother being a Guardian if you don’t guard anyone?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Josh already said it before, so I will quote him here. Emphasis mine.