The rangers, longbows and point blank shot

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

At first, would like to say that the topic is not about the dominance of BBRangers. Slightly different problem… eeer… annoying me. Well, how often do you see situation of such kind=> just imagine: you just (donno) hanging around in relaxed mode, doing anything interesting, mb even grind something, kicking mob and…. then some ranger rushes past you and PEW! Mob ten feet away from you.. You at this time just started pistol whip cast\handred blades\set a symbol or aoe pool, you know… Mob begins to rush around trying to run for ranger’s pet or like. A couple of mobs later the same thing happens. And once more, and more. And then you suddenly notice – hey, it’s an another ranger at all!! O_o
The strangest thing – this is happens regularly in different locations. I feel like LB rangers consider it their sacred duty to knock out the mobs of people’s melee range… Is it some kind of joke? Some kind of an obsession? Sometimes it seems to me that the rangers pursue me…

Well… Suddenly wanted to share. Do all have a such… feeling or is it just me?

(edited by MeGaZlo.9516)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Maybe they are going for their Daily Interrupt. /shrug

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

We do it just to annoy you, and only you. Nobody else.

. . . no, seriously? I don’t know about the rest of rangers but I do try to use Point Blank to shave stacks of Defiant. Sometimes if everyone is spamming CC skills, that means I will actually have Point Blank do knockback as it interrupts.

I mostly switched to shortbow now unless I really want to remain at range (Golem MKII).

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

No,

If you go about reading some of the posts asking for stuff to be nerfed, you will finally understand that some players are just plain stupid and probably walk around in blues and greens while also spamming every single skill button because its not on cooldown.
Its not like that knock-back skill does more dmg than the other skills, specially since its a CC skill.

in Profession Balance

MeGaZlo.9516

We do it just to annoy you, and only you. Nobody else.

I knew it! I’ll get you! kitten u all! )

Attachments:

in Profession Balance

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Just bunch of idiots who use each skill available.

What could fix it, is to ensure the content makes players to play the game and use their skills more carefully, instead of unloading everything in random…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

in Profession Balance

MeGaZlo.9516

Why topic was moved to the balance thread? How does this relate to the balance? ^^

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Funny as it may sound, people like to have couple buttons to press. The more buttons -> more skill required thinking is visible in-game.

ArenaNet wanted to get rid of “rotations” which were, suprisingly, a problem in other MMOs. So they introduced a system where your “rotation” attacks are often just included in your Chain attack, which is Auto-attack.

This is very, very visible on a Ranger.

The way Devs designed many weapons due to them having non-switchable skills is to base regular damage around chained attack and sometimes, around one-two bonus abilities on the set of 5 total skills.

Now the rest has to have some use both in PvE and PvP. Meaning that many of them are actual “utility/cooldown” skills. Are they used on constant basis in all modes? Nope. Have you ever seen PvE warrior using “Throw Axe” ? Well…

Ranger’s weapons suffer the most. Sword, when great weapon in PvP, had to be designed in similar fashion as other Ranger’s melee options – be evasive and defensive. So you have 2/3 avalible places being evades with little damage. So you just spam autoattack.

Shortbow, Longbow? Who will use Poison Volley outside of PvP? It’s utility skill.

Let me get this straight/
You’re a player using Longbow in PvE. Is it fun to use? Well, you’re just spamming autoattack really. In next 2 months, you’ll maybe get one viable fun ability to use, Rapid Fire. But for now, 3 out of 5 skills just reduce your DPS in PvE.

After couple mintues you grow really bored of not clicking ANYTHING. You want to be more active and actually press something. PBS has good damage and is fun effect, so people, starving for something to press, will press PBS.

That’s where GW2 weapon skill system falls apart, kind of. Some weapons will be good in one mode or another, some skills may be useful in one of two. That makes the situations where eventually some combinations just suck somewhere and are BORING to use.

Switchable/Glyphable weapon skills would be the answer. But hey, balancing and rotations!

….And here we go again.

The only answer to this, maybe, would be to make NPCs act more like a Players in PvP and require more than doing damage. But it would be hard to programme, trust me.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

(edited by Rym.1469)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

If we can’t have a instagib burst then no one can!

Just keep blasting enemies out of channeled attacks then everyone will know the struggle…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

One of my biggest pet peeve is when people use longbow 4 in PvE, for any reason other than to remove a defiant stack. Please, just don’t use it. Your party will thank you.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Oh ok I won’t ever ever again Knock somthing towards a zerg of people ever again.

what your saying Op Is poor use of Point blank shot or Poor Positioning of point blank shot.

if someone in game starts spouting this crap , i’ll point blank shot that crappy champ away from them just as a troll.

this is a matter of poor use.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

PBS (seems to) shoot faster than any other skill; near instantly (hunters shot is fast too; but low damage) meaning its often superior to long range shot if you’re trying to get a tag before something dies

does it make me an kitten? yes… but i got loot, so i can deal with it

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Every time someone lists “No ranger” in LFG… some angry ranger is out there PBSing

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Longbow allows for the laziest playstyle ever. Autoattack afk bots when all their skills are on cd, then skill spam no matter what each skill does.

Majority of rangers never learned anything else than spamming their skills as soon as they are off cooldown. How often do you see a ranger in pve dodge, they rotate pets to keep agro, no need for to learn other game mechanics. No wonder when they come into contact with other classes, they don’t give kitten and just continue to pew pew.

So when a ranger knockbacks mob/enemy in wvw away from me, I just let them deal with it themselves and I walk away. That enemy wvwer gonna kill you? Great

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Profession Balance

MeGaZlo.9516

Every time someone lists “No ranger” in LFG… some angry ranger is out there PBSing

And every time any ranger joins any party one LB breaks down, and PBS forever disappears from panel =D

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’m going to be perfectly honest, I will use KBS a lot of the time to push enemies out of abilities like that as a joke and then say in chat “IM HELPING!!”

However MOST of the time it just comes at a price of interrupting, it’s a VERY low CD interrupt that I use to stop abilities as much as I can (GW1 has trained me), so most the time I’m trying to interrupt a skill which may or may not push them away.

However I will usually aim to knock them into a wall so Melee attacks will be able to still hit when I interrupt, and I like to pretend that it does more damage when I do that, to try to not hurt the rest of my teams damage when I interrupt.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

This has nothing to do with Rangers or Point Blank Shot and everything to do with bad players using any form of knockback at the wrong time.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

Longbow allows for the laziest playstyle ever. Autoattack afk bots when all their skills are on cd, then skill spam no matter what each skill does.

Majority of rangers never learned anything else than spamming their skills as soon as they are off cooldown. How often do you see a ranger in pve dodge, they rotate pets to keep agro, no need for to learn other game mechanics. No wonder when they come into contact with other classes, they don’t give kitten and just continue to pew pew.

So when a ranger knockbacks mob/enemy in wvw away from me, I just let them deal with it themselves and I walk away. That enemy wvwer gonna kill you? Great

odd assumption that people play the same in pve as in pvp/wvw

every class has braindead players (slow reaction, slow movement, standing in fields pointlessly, shooting reflects, wasting CDs on enemy blocks, not using mouse to turn, stealthing points etc) in pvp (personally i find the most common is warror/thief… but that may be just because i see a ton of them in hotjoin – yes i play a lot of hotjoin; less stress than arenas)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]