There is no counter to stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: mrmadhaze.8706

mrmadhaze.8706

Stealth should drop as soon as the thief attacks.

If he gets evaded/blocked he should come out of stealth. It’s what makes stealth so unbalanced compared to other games versions. There’s no risk involved.

Spam button 1 until you get the backstab, don’t worry if he has a shield up or dodges your first two clumsy attempts, you get to keep trying until you land it. If I miss with my updraft I don’t get a refresh until it lands.

An attack even if evaded or blocked should still count as an attack and remove stealth. That would balance it entirely. It raises the skill cap without destroying the class.

Tell us how much balanced is if thief get reveled debuff (drop stealth = revealed) for every single kitten does in this game, without destroying the class ofc…….

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Stealth should drop as soon as the thief attacks.

If he gets evaded/blocked he should come out of stealth. It’s what makes stealth so unbalanced compared to other games versions. There’s no risk involved.

Spam button 1 until you get the backstab, don’t worry if he has a shield up or dodges your first two clumsy attempts, you get to keep trying until you land it. If I miss with my updraft I don’t get a refresh until it lands.

An attack even if evaded or blocked should still count as an attack and remove stealth. That would balance it entirely. It raises the skill cap without destroying the class.

Tell us how much balanced is if thief get reveled debuff (drop stealth = revealed) for every single kitten does in this game, without destroying the class ofc…….

It wouldn’t destroy the class it would destroy the players who aren’t really good at the class.

Stealth as a whole is largely imbalanced due to one counter being available “sic em”. Just like when you take away all the cats you will have a rodent problem, with no counters to stealth there is a stealth problem.

The mechanic is one of many poor choices Anet made when they created gw2. Unfortunately the team didn’t seem to learn from WoW or any other game which implements similar mechanics. That it eliminates counter play from the player on the receiving end.

Counter play comes from reading your opponents animations, observing their movement and then making the conscious choice of using a skill that might shutdown their attack so you can retaliate. Stealth takes all of this out of the equation, since they are invisible to the other player. It forces the player to play a guessing game instead of consciously thinking out their attack plan. This is why you hear people say “just aoe” “just do this or that”. It means there is no definite solution since one doesn’t exist, so the player resorts to random decision making, which may or may not work.

This is also related to why zerker thieves have run out mesmers and elementlists in pvp. No other zerker can compete since they do not have the wide quantity of stealth skills to remove their opponents ability to make concrete counter play decisions.

Definitely broken, but of course you will have people come here and defend it viciously without a ounce of reasoning why it should stay the way it is other than their are in love with their class.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

There are plenty of counters. Pushbacks, aoe cripples, flamethrowers, and of course, the good old brain. Just because they are invisible doesn’t mean you can’t estimate where they will go. For example, imagine a thief stealths, put down an aoe cripple skill, then move in a line from where he vanished to where you think he will move. The most direct route is straight ahead, and if they don’t take that path, they lose precious stealth time.

Also, if they stealth at a range, cover behind a tree or something. Break their los, dodge well, use your blind and other anti melee skills. Especially cover, if they stealth at a range and are melee, standing behind something ensures they will come from the left or right, and if at range, you’ve just messed up their stealth. They don’t control the fight just because you can’t see them – you are fully capable of taking control.

Also, why is g*mp censored? It’s not even a swear or curse by nature… devs be watching pulp fiction too often?

(edited by Oxstar.7643)

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

There are plenty of counters. Pushbacks, aoe cripples, flamethrowers, and of course, the good old brain. Just because they are invisible doesn’t mean you can’t estimate where they will go. For example, imagine a thief stealths, put down an aoe cripple skill, then move in a line from where he vanished to where you think he will move. The most direct route is straight ahead, and if they don’t take that path, they lose precious stealth time.

Sorry none of those are counters. And just like I wrote in my previous post about how players will make posts about how to counter it will and can only give solutions that are random by nature.

A example: "For example, imagine a thief stealths, put down an aoe cripple skill, then move in a line from where he vanished to where you think he will move. "

It means you don’t know where he is going, so its a guessing game like I stated above. This isn’t a counter, this is the equivalent of mashing buttons on a controller hoping to get a concrete result.

Here is a example of a counter by definition:

1. A thief stealths.

2. You use a skill that causes the thief to be brought out of stealth, causing him/her to waste their cooldown, now they are on the defensive.

That is a counter, not a prevention.

Here is your example:

1. A thief stealths

2. The player randomly aoe, dropping cripple, bleeds and fears hoping the thief is getting hit by them.

None of that is a counter, its just random behavior since their is no solution to stealth this type of plan of action becomes the best thing to do. But like I said its not a counter since it doesn’t punish the thief for using up stealth and not considering what you may do.

Right now there isn’t much considering you can simply stealth and teleport far away. Waiting for cooldowns to come back up as well as health then re-engaging the target.

Windows 10

(edited by Aza.2105)

in Profession Balance

Oxstar.7643

Sorry none of those are counters. And just like I wrote in my previous post about how players will make posts about how to counter it will and can only give solutions that are random by nature.

A example: "For example, imagine a thief stealths, put down an aoe cripple skill, then move in a line from where he vanished to where you think he will move. "

It means you don’t know where he is going, so its a guessing game like I stated above. This isn’t a counter, this is the equivalent of mashing buttons on a controller hoping to get a concrete result.

1. A thief stealths.

2. You use a skill that causes the thief to be brought out of stealth, causing him/her to waste their cooldown, now they are on the defensive.

That is a counter, no a prevention.

Here is your example:

1. A thief stealths

2. The player randomly aoe, dropping cripple, bleeds and fears hoping the thief is getting hit by them.

None of that is a counter, its just random behavior since their is no solution to stealth this type of plan of action becomes the best thing to do. But like I said its not a counter since it doesn’t punish the thief for using up stealth and not considering what you may do.

Right now there is much considering since you can simply stealth and teleport far away. Waiting for cooldowns to come back up as well as health then re-engaging the target.

Oh, I’m sorry, but drawing a line from point A and then use some base logic to force a thief to take a non direct route to get to me is not beyond me, idk about you.

Look, I hate to be that guy, but… l2p.

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

1. A thief stealths.

Here is your example:

1. A thief stealths

Right now there is much considering since you can simply stealth and teleport far away. Waiting for cooldowns to come back up as well as health then re-engaging the target.

Oh, I’m sorry, but drawing a line from point A and then use some base logic to force a thief to take a non direct route to get to me is not beyond me, idk about you.

This makes you look bad. When people resort to l2p, are you mad and other low intellectual responses means they are out of things that are relevant to say.

Windows 10

in Profession Balance

Oxstar.7643

1. A thief stealths.

Here is your example:

1. A thief stealths

This makes you look bad. When people resort to l2p, are you mad and other low intellectual responses means they are out of things that are relevant to say.

Whatever bro, I pvp’d in spvp and wvw for months upon months, stealth was never a problem to me.

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

1. A thief stealths.

Here is your example:

1. A thief stealths

Whatever bro, I pvp’d in spvp and wvw for months upon months, stealth was never a problem to me.

This is a subjective perspective.

Objectively its a huge issue, anything that exists without a polar opposite becomes a issue.

Here are examples:

1. Protection – Vulnerability
2. Might – Weakness
3. Endurance – Weakness
4. Stun, Daze etc – Stability
5. Healing – Poison
6. Conditions – Condition removers
7. Block – Unblockable attacks

• 8. Stealth – Sic em
  • 9. Evade – Nothing
Windows 10

in Profession Balance

Oxstar.7643

1. A thief stealths.

Here is your example:

1. A thief stealths

Objectively its a huge issue, anything that exists without a polar opposite becomes a issue.

Here are examples:

2. Might – Weakness
3. Endurance – Weakness
5. Healing – Poison

• 8. Stealth – Sic em
  • 9. Evade – Nothing

Evades, blocks, blinds, leaps… I could go on. Sorry, but I don’t think any sort of majority is gonna agree with you.

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

1. A thief stealths.

Here is your example:

1. A thief stealths

Here are examples:

2. Might – Weakness
3. Endurance – Weakness
5. Healing – Poison

• 8. Stealth – Sic em
  • 9. Evade – Nothing

Evades, blocks, blinds, leaps… I could go on. Sorry, but I don’t think any sort of majority is gonna agree with you.

What does this even mean?

Windows 10

in Profession Balance

Oxstar.7643

1. A thief stealths.

Here is your example:

1. A thief stealths

Here are examples:

2. Might – Weakness
3. Endurance – Weakness
5. Healing – Poison

• 8. Stealth – Sic em
  • 9. Evade – Nothing

What does this even mean?

1. You are just bad, bro, no offense.
2. You don’t seem to understand what counter MEANS.

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

1. Expand your vocabulary, go out, interact with people. No offense taken, you are speaking about yourself.

2. I do, you don’t:

coun·tered, coun·ter·ing, coun·ters

v.tr.
1. To meet or return (a blow) by another blow.
1. One that is an opposite.

Windows 10

in Profession Balance

Oxstar.7643

1. Expand your vocabulary, go out, interact with people. No offense taken, you are speaking about yourself.

2. I do, you don’t:

v.tr.

Rofl. You’ve any idea how many times I was told I suck during my learning curve? I listened and tried to improve, and it payed off. You will either do the same, or remain that minority who are too proud to fault themselves and will answer every criticism with “No, YOU suck” or “you’re talking about yourself”. Choice is yours. You’re struggling, I’m not, I tried to help you, you won’t listen, and it’s affecting poorly on you. The sooner you get your head out of your rear and start improving, the more fun you, and people around you, are going to have.

Btw, stealths are there to create a chance to hit your foe. CC’s are there to fight that. That is an opposite.

(edited by Oxstar.7643)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

How is this kitten productive ><

in Profession Balance

Oxstar.7643

How is this kitten productive ><

It’s not. Me, I think I’ve done all I can here, so, am out. Stay frosty kids.

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

2. I do, you don’t:

v.tr.

Rofl. You’ve any idea how many times I was told I suck during my learning curve? I listened and tried to improve, and it payed off. I will either do the same, or remain that majority who are too proud to fault themselves and will answer every criticism with “No, YOU suck” or “you’re talking about yoursel”. Choice is mine. I’m struggling, you’re not, you tried to help me, I won’t listen, and it’s affecting poorly on me. The sooner I get my head out of my rear and start improving, the more fun me, and people around me, are going to have.

Fixed that for you.

Since your reply has nothing to do with me what so ever. Its impossible to make personal statements against a anonymous entity on a forum that you do not even know. You are only seeing yourself in my replies to you.

Windows 10

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

1. A thief stealths.

Here is your example:

1. A thief stealths

Here are examples:

2. Might – Weakness
3. Endurance – Weakness
5. Healing – Poison

• 8. Stealth – Sic em
  • 9. Evade – Nothing

I do, In fact, he couldn’t be more right. He summed up everything perfectly well, and deserve a +1. If you can’t come up with anything else, but silly logical fallacies… I’ll let you finish the sentence.

in Profession Balance

Oxstar.7643

1. A thief stealths.

Here is your example:

1. A thief stealths

Here are examples:

2. Might – Weakness
3. Endurance – Weakness
5. Healing – Poison

• 8. Stealth – Sic em
  • 9. Evade – Nothing

I do, In fact, he couldn’t be more right. He summed up everything perfectly well, and deserve a +1. If you can’t come up with anything else, but silly logical fallacies… I’ll let you finish the sentence.

Again, I got no problem with it. I tried my best to explain what one can do. But I guess some ppl are too stubborn to listen.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Countering backstab is pretty simple, and is ultimately what was being complained about in recent posts. Below is a list of counter backstab options that are not random at all.

Options include but are not limited to the following:

• Back directly away from where the thief stealthed and dodgeroll 1.5 seconds after, then continue to back directly away (attacking simultaneously)
  • AoE the ground (preferably with a snare, but damage is good too), back directly away from where the thief stealthed.
  • Knockback as soon as stealth happens and back directly away.
  • Use a DoT defensive skill such as Renewed Focus or Shield Stance
  • Activate a counter block skill, then dodge when you see block, and back directly away from where you dodged from (also works with Aegis)
  • Stealth to counter their Stealth
  • Use a leap skill then about-face, and back away
  • Equip Healing Signet, the more time a thief is in stealth the more you are winning
  • Blind the area around you
  • Etc…

Again the above list isn’t random actions, but you can be random if you feel like it will accomplish something.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

(edited by Shockwave.1230)

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

Countering backstab is pretty simple, and is ultimately what was being complained about in recent posts. Below is a list of counter backstab options that are not random at all.

• Back directly away from where the thief stealthed and dodgeroll 1.5 seconds after, then continue to back directly away (attacking simultaneously)
  • AoE the ground (preferably with a snare, but damage is good too), back directly away from where the thief stealthed.
  • Activate a counter block skill, then dodge when you see block, and back directly away from where you dodged from (also works with Aegis)
  • Equip Healing Signet, the more time a thief is in stealth the more you are winning
  • Etc…

Again the above list isn’t random actions, but you can be random if you feel like it will accomplish something.

No no and no.

Everything you listed are “preventions” not counters. Its amazing that people just can’t comprehend the definition. The definition of a counter is simple, a eye for a eye a tooth for a tooth. For it to be a counter it has to be something of equal value to what its opposing.

Cripple counters swiftness, vulnerability counters protection….there is a pattern you see?

Cripple is everything swiftness is not, swiftness speeds you up, cripple slows you down.

Protection increases your defense, vulnerability decreases your defense.

Might increases your power, Weakness has a chance to decrease your power

Aegis allows you to block, unblockable attacks penetrate through block

Conditions damage your foe, condition removal removes conditions

Following this pattern then reveal would be the counter to stealth, since its everything stealth is not. Stealth allows you to go invisible, reveal prevents one from going invisible.

Problem is reveal is only available on one skill, sic em.

Everything you listed has nothing to do with countering at all, sorry man no disrespect.

Windows 10

(edited by Aza.2105)

in Profession Balance

Shockwave.1230

• Etc…

No no and no.

Everything you listed are “preventions” not counters. Its amazing that people just can’t comprehend the definition. The definition of a counter is simple, a eye for a eye a tooth for a tooth. For it to be a counter it has to be something of equal value to what its opposing.

Cripple counters swiftness, vulnerability counters protection….there is a pattern you see?

Cripple is everything swiftness is not, swiftness speeds you up, cripple slows you down. Protection increases your defense, vulnerability decreases your defense.

Everything you listed has nothing to do with countering at all, sorry man no disrespect.

These in fact are counters.

I see you’ve provided a list of things you think have counters, I could apply your own kind of logic to your own list and show you why they aren’t counters..

Here are examples:

2. Might – Weakness
3. Endurance – Weakness
5. Healing – Poison

• 8. Stealth – Sic em
  • 9. Evade – Nothing

1. Vulnerability doesn’t counter protection, because you can’t constantly apply 25 might stacks to mathematically make them even.
2. Weakness and might don’t counter each other, because it doesn’t affect each kind of build in the same way. It counters berserker builds harder than soldier builds. It reduces berserker build dps by more than half, whereas 25 might stacks only increases power by 50%. Vs condi builds weakness basically has no effect, whereas 25 might stacks increases their condi stat by about 100%
3. (Assuming you meant vigor not endurance, if you didn’t though then this is a prime example of your view of something called a ‘prevention’ being something you view as a counter) Weakness doesn’t counter vigor properly, because when both are applied your endurance regen rate is 75% of normal.
4. Stability doesn’t counter daze or stuns, because stability doesn’t remove them, it only prevents them.
5. Poison isn’t a counter to healing, because all it does is prevent some healing (a prime example of your view of ‘preventions’, which people are suggesting are in fact counters)
6. Condition removal doesn’t counter conditions, because conditions can be applied too easily and there’s not enough condition removal to account for all the conditions (another kind of ‘prevention’, that you view as a counter)
7. Unblockable attacks don’t counter blocks, because players get smart enough to time block skills until after unblockable skills are used.

Now you can see how rediculous some of the listed opposing view points are, but some are not rediculous, yet they’re all valid in some way.

The point is that when people provide ways to counter stealth, it’s because there actually are ways to counter stealth.

in Profession Balance

Oxstar.7643

• Etc…

No no and no.

Cripple is everything swiftness is not, swiftness speeds you up, cripple slows you down. Protection increases your defense, vulnerability decreases your defense.

These in fact are counters.

I see you’ve provided a list of things you think have counters, I could apply your own kind of logic to your own list and show you why they aren’t counters..

Here are examples:

2. Might – Weakness
3. Endurance – Weakness
5. Healing – Poison

• 8. Stealth – Sic em
  • 9. Evade – Nothing

1. Vulnerability doesn’t counter protection, because you can’t constantly apply 25 might stacks to mathematically make them even.
2. Weakness and might don’t counter each other, because it doesn’t affect each kind of build in the same way. It counters berserker builds harder than soldier builds. It reduces berserker build dps by more than half, whereas 25 might stacks only increases power by 50%. Vs condi builds weakness basically has no effect, whereas 25 might stacks increases their condi stat by about 100%
3. (Assuming you meant vigor not endurance, if you didn’t though then this is a prime example of your view of something called a ‘prevention’ being something you view as a counter) Weakness doesn’t counter vigor properly, because when both are applied your endurance regen rate is 75% of normal.
4. Stability doesn’t counter daze or stuns, because stability doesn’t remove them, it only prevents them.
5. Poison isn’t a counter to healing, because all it does is prevent some healing (a prime example of your view of ‘preventions’, which people are suggesting are in fact counters)
6. Condition removal doesn’t counter conditions, because conditions can be applied too easily and there’s not enough condition removal to account for all the conditions (another kind of ‘prevention’, that you view as a counter)
7. Unblockable attacks don’t counter blocks, because players get smart enough to time block skills until after unblockable skills are used.

Now you can see how rediculous some of the listed opposing view points are, but some are not rediculous, yet they’re all valid in some way.

The point is that when people provide ways to counter stealth, it’s because there actually are ways to counter stealth.

Voice of reason.

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

The only thing I see is the absence of comprehension on your behalf. The thing is its not my view point, since what I’m saying is objective not subjective. Its based solely upon what the definition of counter is not what I “think” or “feel” it is. The list you made is completely subjective since its based upon your own personal interpretation of what a counter means.

Its a fact that all of the mechanics I listed stand on the opposite end of the spectrum of their counter parts. It doesn’t matter how you say they are applied, the only thing that does matter is that there are mechanics in place that balance out each other by providing the opposite effect.

Going by the “definition” of counter, not your own personal interpretation of the meaning. Show me how anything you listed is even roughly related to it.

Windows 10

in Profession Balance

Shockwave.1230

The only thing I see is the absence of comprehension on your behalf. The thing is its not my view point, since what I’m saying is objective not subjective. Its based solely upon what the definition of counter is not what I “think” or “feel” it is. The list you made is completely subjective since its based upon your own personal interpretation of what a counter means.

Its a fact that all of the mechanics I listed stand on the opposite end of the spectrum of their counter parts. It doesn’t matter how you say they are applied, the only thing that does matter is that there are mechanics in place that balance out each other by providing the opposite effect.

Going by the “definition” of counter, not your own personal interpretation of the meaning. Show me how anything you listed is even roughly related to it.

Okay if you’d like to look at everything in a silo then my argument is that stealth does nothing by itself except put you at a disadvantage of not being able to interact with objectives.

Therefore stealth is actually a debuff.

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

Okay if you’d like to look at everything in a silo then my argument is that stealth does nothing by itself except put you at a disadvantage of not being able to interact with objectives.

This is irrelevant because you are shifting the discussion from the mechanic itself to things outside of it such as objectives or your personal opinion that its a debuff. Looking at the mechanic itself, illustrate how any of what you listed in your previous reply fits the definition of a counter.

coun·ter3 [koun-ter] Show IPA
adverb
in the wrong way; contrary to the right course; in the reverse or opposite direction.
contrary; in opposition (usually preceded by run or go ): to run counter to the rules.
adjective
opposite; opposed; contrary.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/counter

Windows 10

in Profession Balance

Shockwave.1230

This is irrelevant because you are shifting the discussion from the mechanic itself to things outside of it such as objectives or your personal opinion that its a debuff. Looking at the mechanic itself, illustrate how any of what you listed in your previous reply fits the definition of a counter.

If you like to know what the hard counter to stealth is those are

• Stealth by itself (as the play in stealth is less useful than when they are out of stealth)
  • Revealed

And there’s the list of other counters that I previously mentioned, such as Invincibility or blocks, or blinds, since stealth by itself is actually a debuff and becomes useful to create an opportunity to deal damage.

(edited by Shockwave.1230)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: silentnight warrior.2714

silentnight warrior.2714

• Stealth by itself (as the play in stealth is less useful than when they are out of stealth)
  • Revealed

And there’s the list of other counters that I previously mentioned, such as Invincibility or blocks, or blinds, since stealth by itself is actually a debuff and is useful for creating an opportunity deal damage.

The only real counter to stealth is the stealth traps in WvW and a ranger skill that i doubt that anyone uses.

Every other “counters” are realy a work around because there is no counters….

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

• Revealed

And there’s the list of other counters that I previously mentioned, such as Invincibility or blocks, or blinds, since stealth by itself is actually a debuff and is useful for creating an opportunity deal damage.

Stealth makes the target invisible. What skills can make a target visible?

Windows 10

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

This thread has degenerated into what the meaning of “is” is territory.

Can you use the things people have said to kill a thief/make them run away with his tail behind his legs while you cap the objective? Yes. Ok gg ty nothing more is needed then. /Thread.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Just give those people light fields capable of revealing more reasons to play guardian(and not warrior).

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Profession Balance

Shockwave.1230

• Revealed

Let me fix that for you…

Stealth makes it so you don’t know where your target is, what skills allow you to know where your target is?

• Auto attack chains
  • On hit sigil procs (fire & air)
  • Any channel skill used before the target enters stealth

To answer the original question though, any damage skill is the answer. A stealthed player reveals himself/herself and inflicts a revealed debuff as well, preventing stealth again, wihch means the stealthed player counters hiself/herself.

in Profession Balance

Oxstar.7643

It’s a fact that all of the mechanics I listed stand on the opposite end of the spectrum of their counter parts. It doesn’t matter how you say they are applied, the only thing that does matter is that there are mechanics in place that balance out each other by providing the opposite effect.

• Revealed

All skills that either spawns a target effect or a damage number on the screen… You don’t need to SEE him to counter him, just know his position. Sigh… I’d need both Hawaii and Costa Rica to accomodate all the facepalm you deserve! A TON of GOOD players have no more problems fighting thief than ANY class, some even find it underpowered! You are so insufferable with your self righteous attitude of “IF I CAN’T DO IT THEN NOBODY CAN, END OF STORY!” – Why do you think this game revolves around YOU? You are not a pro, you’re not even THAT GOOD, you just need to TRAIN, like the rest of us did, and we’re trying to HELP you – you claim nobody can fight thives, we give you multiple ways to do just that, and you just go “no that’s wrong” without even practically applying it! Do it and you’ll see we’re right, procided that you’re not just BAD. But you don’t, and it’s hurting you, and those around you! Just… GOD!

(edited by Oxstar.7643)

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

• Revealed

Let me fix that for you…

Stealth makes it so you don’t know where your target is, what skills allow you to know where your target is?

• Auto attack chains

To answer the original question though, any damage skill is the answer. A stealthed player reveals himself/herself and inflicts a revealed debuff as well, preventing stealth again, wihch means the stealthed player counters hiself/herself.

I’m still waiting for you to show me how what you are saying fits the definition of counter. All you have done so far is dodge the task by providing examples in accordance to your own interpretation of the word.

Windows 10

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

• Revealed

All skilsl that either spawns a target effect or a damage number on the screen… You don’t need to SEE him to counter him, just know his position. Sigh… I’d need both Hawaii and Costa Rice to accomodate all the facepalm you deserve!

The only thing I’ve done is keep it objective. For many such as yourself and shockwave, this is a difficult task. Since you prefer to try to redefine a word to justify what you think. Perhaps if the world revolved around you then words could mean anything you want them to be.

Windows 10

in Profession Balance

Oxstar.7643

• Revealed

All skilsl that either spawns a target effect or a damage number on the screen… You don’t need to SEE him to counter him, just know his position. Sigh… I’d need both Hawaii and Costa Rice to accomodate all the facepalm you deserve!

The only thing I’ve done is keep it objective. For many such as yourself and shockwave, this is a difficult task. Since you prefer to try to redefine a word to justify what you think. Perhaps if the world revolved around you then words could mean anything you want them to be.

You were the one who started with words definitions first… No, you’ve completely ignored our advice, spurned our tries to help you, and you are, 100% GUILTY. Then you can live on in your own world, but it doesn’t change ANYTHING.

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

You were the one who started with words definitions first… No, you’ve completely ignored our advice, spurned our tries to help you, and you are, 100% GUILTY. Then you can live on in your own world, but it doesn’t change ANYTHING.

Advice? Nothing I’ve said is about my personal experience. This is how your are interpreting it though. You are taking your entire experience of needing help in game and applying it to me. I already went over this with you a several posts above.

What you don’t understand is if shockwave or yourself had said “These are helpful tactics that can combat stealth users…..”. I’d say those are pretty fair statements. But what you both are saying is that your suggestions are counters and they are not.

Windows 10

in Profession Balance

Oxstar.7643

Advice? Nothing I’ve said is about my personal experience. This is how your are interpreting it though. You are taking your entire experience of needing help in game and applying it to me. I already went over this with you a several posts above.

What you don’t understand is if shockwave or yourself had said “These are helpful tactics that can combat stealth users…..”. I’d say those are pretty fair statements. But what you both are saying is that your suggestions are counters and they are not.

You’re loosing so much by getting stuck up on words… and how could it be anything BUT your own experience, can you control another persons hands, or see through his eyes? Believe what you see with your own eyes, but try to get insight so you UNDERSTAND what you saw.

Fine, helpful tactics that can counter stealth, but you’re contradicting yourself.

in Profession Balance

Shockwave.1230

• Revealed

Let me fix that for you…

• Auto attack chains

I’m still waiting for you to show me how what you are saying fits the definition of counter. All you have done so far is dodge the task by providing examples in accordance to your own interpretation of the word.

That’s not dodging any question, please reread. Your root cause issue, is that you don’t know where your target is, I provided how you know where your target is.

I also noted that players using stealth inflict a “polar opposite counter” on themselves, which is also true.

You for some reason are fixated on this concept of a polar opposite counter having to exist for your own personal use, when that’s simply not true. Invincibility has no polar opposite counter, teleporting has no polar opposite counter. Plus the polar counter does exist for stealth anyways, players just inflict it upon themselves.

Quite simply it is your opinion that this “polar opposite counter” should be readily available to you, instead of being implemented in the way that it is. Whereas it is ANet’s opionion that it should be the way that it is currently.

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

That’s not dodging any question, please reread. Your root cause issue, is that you don’t know where your target is, I provided how you know where your target is.

I also noted that players using stealth inflict a “polar opposite counter” on themselves, which is also true.

You for some reason are fixated on this concept of a polar opposite counter having to exist for your own personal use, when that’s simply not true. Invincibility has no polar opposite counter, teleporting has no polar opposite counter. Plus the polar counter does exist for stealth anyways, players just inflict it upon themselves.

Quite simply it is your opinion that this “polar opposite counter” should be readily available to you, instead of being implemented in the way that it is. Whereas it is ANet’s opionion that it should be the way that it is currently.

It is dodging the question, you avoid answering it by simply trying to shift the discussion back to your own personal thinking of what a counter is.

Fixated? Are you sure about that one? The only thing I do is continue to bring the accepted definition of what a counter is back into the discussion. Which again involves opposites, you act like I made up the definition. Maybe you should seek out the creator of it since you seem to have a problem with it.

Windows 10

(edited by Aza.2105)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Off topic discussions we’re focused on thief for some reason not each other. Only solution that make total sense make the light fields capable of revealing and combo finishers through it lengthen the effect this gives guardian a plus for support their main purpose for some reason.
Stop trying to make every profession anti-stealth it is not responsible we can’t remake a whole trait line called Shadow Arts.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Profession Balance

Shockwave.1230

It is dodging the question, you avoid answering it by simply trying to shift the discussion back to your own personal thinking of what a counter is.

Fixated? Are you sure about that one? The only thing I do is continue to bring the accepted definition of what a counter is back into the discussion. Which again involves opposites, you act like I made up the definition. Maybe you should seek out the creator of it since you seem to have a problem with it.

The accepted definition of a counter is a way to respond that will negate or reduce the impact of the initial action. For example, you would counter a larger force with strategies, tactics, or advanced technology like formations, flanking, or modern weapons.

You can negate the impact of stealth by doing things that I and others have suggested.

You don’t have to agree with the accepted definition, but that’s okay.

in Profession Balance

Poplolita.2638

It’s a fact that all of the mechanics I listed stand on the opposite end of the spectrum of their counter parts. It doesn’t matter how you say they are applied, the only thing that does matter is that there are mechanics in place that balance out each other by providing the opposite effect.

• Revealed

All skills that either spawns a target effect or a damage number on the screen… You don’t need to SEE him to counter him, just know his position. Sigh… I’d need both Hawaii and Costa Rica to accomodate all the facepalm you deserve! A TON of GOOD players have no more problems fighting thief than ANY class, some even find it underpowered! You are so insufferable with your self righteous attitude of “IF I CAN’T DO IT THEN NOBODY CAN, END OF STORY!” – Why do you think this game revolves around YOU? You are not a pro, you’re not even THAT GOOD, you just need to TRAIN, like the rest of us did, and we’re trying to HELP you – you claim nobody can fight thives, we give you multiple ways to do just that, and you just go “no that’s wrong” without even practically applying it! Do it and you’ll see we’re right, procided that you’re not just BAD. But you don’t, and it’s hurting you, and those around you! Just… GOD!

Trying to help who exactly? How in the hell Aza being in the top 100 with 1000+ games is not enough experience for you? You assume way too much, and this is exactly why any objective discussion related to stealth is impossible with liked minded people like you kittensort to assumptons, “l2p” , and logical falllacies to make a “point”.

in Profession Balance

Shockwave.1230

Off topic discussions we’re focused on thief for some reason not each other. Only solution that make total sense make the light fields capable of revealing and combo finishers through it lengthen the effect this gives guardian a plus for support their main purpose for some reason.
Stop trying to make every profession anti-stealth it is not responsible we can’t remake a whole trait line called Shadow Arts.

Blasting a light field to inflict revealed actually sounds like a really cool idea. I hope ANet tries this internally to see if it could work with various durations of revealed, start at inflicting a 1 second revealed and work your way up.

in Profession Balance

Poplolita.2638

The accepted definition of a counter is a way to respond that will negate or reduce the impact of the initial action. For example, you would counter a larger force with strategies, tactics, or advanced technology like formations, flanking, or modern weapons.

You can negate the impact of stealth by doing things that I and others have suggested.

Once again, from a mechanical perspective, stealth has only one hardcounter which only prevents it. Stealth is not an action, it is a buff. We are not talking about “counter play” here, but counters to a specific mechanic. To help you out, corrupt boon, or null field are counters from a mechanic perspective against every single boons.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

More people that don’t understand soft V. hard counters…

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Profession Balance

Aza.2105

There is truth in what you are saying, but its a bit deceptive. The only reason why counter would be used in context with your example is if the strategists figured they had a equal force to oppose the larger one. It would not be a counter without the equal force.

Regardless, none of this has nothing to do with your listed counters for stealth. How would be dropping aoe in a random place be a equal force to stealth. Better yet how does it negate or lessen the effect of stealth?

Windows 10

(edited by Aza.2105)

in Profession Balance

Shockwave.1230

There is truth in what you are saying, but its a bit deceptive. The only reason why counter would be used in context with your example is if the strategists figured they had a equal force to oppose the larger one. It would not be a counter without the equal force.

Regardless, none of this has nothing to do with your listed counters for stealth. How would be dropping aoe in a random place be a equal force to stealth. Better yet how does it negate or lessen the effect of stealth?

On its own stealth is a debuff that also prevents you from being seen. The only postive effect is that it gives you opportunities, nothing more nothing less. So what you do is negate those opportunities via the various means that people such as myself have suggested.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

On its own stealth is a debuff that also prevents you from being seen. The only postive effect is that it gives you opportunities, nothing more nothing less. So what you do is negate those opportunities via the various means that people such as myself have suggested.

It also drops target and prevents any skills that require a target to be used…which is about 60-70% of them. It’s a huge advantage to have, and it does need a hard counter. Considering everything else in this game has a hard counter except this…it’s about time it got one too. But put it on skills that people normally do not take, so it turns into a “this is useful against stealth” skill.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Profession Balance

Poplolita.2638

It also drops target and prevents any skills that require a target to be used…which is about 60-70% of them. It’s a huge advantage to have, and it does need a hard counter. Considering everything else in this game has a hard counter except this…it’s about time it got one too. But put it on skills that people normally do not take, so it turns into a “this is useful against stealth” skill.

I would also like to add that not only stealth drops target, but also, for a game centered around animations, not being able to see it is a huge disadvantage!

(edited by Poplolita.2638)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

The only people who can really complain about that are mesmers. A great majority of the skills in this game can be activated and even aimed with by holding down the Right Mouse button while using your head as a reticle.

EDIT: Secondly, why the hell are you burning skills while a thief is in stealth? Bust out your auto.