Thieves and stealth

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Shadowbane.7109

Shadowbane.7109

Never before have I complained on the forums about thieves. But a really annoying aspect of stealth is that only attacking breaks it. I play a trapper ranger and when i fight a thief I cant kill him. The reason being is that when he is in stealth and runs over my traps he can still walk away stealthed. Why does damage not break stealth?
Imagine a huge spike going through your leg. Hard to stay stealthy isn’kitten

Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling…makes no difference.
The degree is arbitrary. The definition’s blurred.
If I’m to choose between one evil and another, I’d rather not choose at all.

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Evilek.5690

Evilek.5690

Ranger has stealth to, Ranger has antistealth spell, Ranger has rapid fire(autoaim spell vs invisible) and many other.

L2P your class, go and train your skill and you killing Thief on breakfest.

Evilek lvl 80 Charr Thief Why no ?
Fredy Brimstone lvl 80 Mighty Warrior
Oupí lvl 80 Immortal Guardian

(edited by Evilek.5690)

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

You couldn’t post in the hundreds of topics already “discussing” this? I know those places have little to no truth in them and is just a shouting contest but don’t add to the pile.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Madjack.4598

Madjack.4598

predicting where a thief will go in stealth is usually not difficult. if they had >50% health, look behind you, if they had <50% health, throw down some offensive aoes on the exit. This is not guaranteed to hit them every time, but is just a guideline to increasing your chances.

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Damage doesn’t break stealth because so many attacks in this game are dumbfire AoEs which require no target. If you compare this to a game like WoW where stealth breaks on damage, AoEs are few and far between. So if you want the game to be balanced around stealth breaking on damage, say goodbye to your Sword Cleaves, Barrage, Traps (as they are, they’d need to be nerfed) and spread shots. All of them would either lose their untargeted functionality of be heavily nerfed.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Ranger has stealth to, Ranger has antistealth spell, Ranger has rapid fire(autoaim spell vs invisible) and many other.

No!! you L2P your class.

You do not know a thing about how our class functions. Didn’t you know neither traps, nor sick-em (barely) works on a thief ?

Didn’t you know, rangers were designed to be easily killed by thieves ? I’m sure you didn’t know that one.

Lastly,

Did you know thieves can teleport of our entangle ?

Victim Blaming Thief, “we are the victims and rangers and everyone else, are the abusers”

" So it’s easy to blame the victim than to take responsibility for your actions " right?

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

D: but what if….. the ranger doesn’t bring the anti-stealth and stealth skills….. what if he doesn’t use rapid fire as well as many other option…. Isn’t the thief OP then?

Anyways…. It’s kind of cute.
Also, you’re beating a dead horse, that’s turning into pulp into dust. (OP) Don’t think there’s been a single week where no one complained about stealth on any forums… x.X can people at least get more original…. like say something else is OP about the thief…

I love this game! It’s “pick the youtube video as evidence” game!

OOO OO OOO
I got one…

^ RANGER TOO OP, nerf next patch PL0X…..

At 2:44, he even kills a warrior! So impressive… clearly OP.

I kind of like the music in the 2nd one over the commentary in the 1st one… :\
Btw you can find more if you search in youtube “<class> OP gw2” loads of videos as “evidence”.
(Btw, both are old videos, done by some randoms….)

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Burnfall.9573

D: but what if….. the ranger doesn’t bring the anti-stealth and stealth skills….. what if he doesn’t use rapid fire as well as many other option…. Isn’t the thief OP then?

Also, you’re beating a dead horse, that’s turning into pulp into dust. (OP) Don’t think there’s been a single week where no one complained about stealth on any forums… x.X can people at least get more original…. like say something else is OP about the thief…

OOO OO OOO
I got one…

Btw you can find more if you search in youtube “<class> OP gw2” loads of videos as “evidence”.

Zero Day, both are indeed old videos and guess what?

Only one of them remain viable and un-nerfed since than.

guess which one it is?? i know you will deny it: again and again yet the Truth stand.

hints: Sword/Dagger, OP condition short bow, unbalanced/God-Mode/OP design. mechanics, utilities and traits, unlimited-area 360 degree teleporting position, perma-evades, perma/stealths, perma-spams, cheap-zero-low-skill class requirements, only survivalist zerker class.

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

No!! you L2P your class.

You do not know a thing about how our class functions. Didn’t you know neither traps, nor sick-em (barely) works on a thief ?

Didn’t you know, rangers were designed to be easily killed by thieves ? I’m sure you didn’t know that one.

Lastly,

Victim Blaming Thief, “we are the victims and rangers and everyone else, are the abusers”

" So it’s easy to blame the victim than to take responsibility for your actions " right?

What are you talking about? I play a BM bunker ranger and I don’t struggle against thieves, I certainly don’t give them a free lootbag. The only time a thief kills me is when they are genuinely better than me or I screw up, not because of our class.

In a fair, 1 vs 1 against a thief that doesn’t run away entirely, then it’s entirely possible that the ranger will win.

Time your dodges, work with your evades if you use the melee weapons/shortbow.

And sic ‘em is actually quite a useful utility if you time it well, it works as intended – you just need to wait for the optimal moment before you use it, usually just after their attack or when they look like they’re falling back slightly. Of course, you’ll need to keep yourself in a position to make the most of the 4 second reveal.

Also, yes, they can get out of our entangle, but so can any competent player of any class, the roots are easy to destroy and many classes have teleport-style abilities. Still, it does damage and slows them down a little if it hits. We also have other elites if you feel like entangle isn’t working for you.

It feels wrong to agree with a thief, but it does seem like you’re having a learn to play issue. As a trap ranger, you have the luxury of placing down your traps, spend your time dodging and evading inside the AoE and mopping up the silly thief that wanders into your killzone.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

D: but what if..... the ranger doesn’t bring the anti-stealth and stealth skills..... what if he doesn’t use rapid fire as well as many other option.... Isn’t the thief OP then?

Anyways.... It’s kind of cute.
Also, you’re beating a dead horse, that’s turning into pulp into dust. (OP) Don’t think there’s been a single week where no one complained about stealth on any forums... x.X can people at least get more original.... like say something else is OP about the thief...

I love this game! It’s "pick the youtube video as evidence" game!

OOO OO OOO
I got one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLfDNjWqa_s

^ RANGER TOO OP, nerf next patch PL0X.....

At 2:44, he even kills a warrior! So impressive... clearly OP.

I kind of like the music in the 2nd one over the commentary in the 1st one... :\
Btw you can find more if you search in youtube "&lt;class&gt; OP gw2" loads of videos as "evidence".
(Btw, both are old videos, done by some randoms....)

Only one of them remain viable and un-nerfed.

guess which one it is?? i know you will deny it: again and again yet the Truth stand.

hints: Sword/Dagger, OP condition short bow, unbalanced/God-Mode/OP design. mechanics, utilities and traits, unlimited-area 360 degree teleporting position, perma-evades, perma/stealths, cheap-zero-low-skill class requirements..

Literally every skill on S/D (in PvP) has been nerfed except the autoattack. In fact, Sword #2 (IR) which that player was complaining about was specifically nerfed after that video was made.

The "unlimited 360 degree teleportation" is specially limited to places you can walk to and surfaces often contain features which prematurely end the shadowstep.

Please do some research or try playing the class yourself before you comment on something about which you have limited or skewed knowledge of.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Burnfall.9573

OOO OO OOO
I got one…

hints: Sword/Dagger, OP condition short bow, unbalanced/God-Mode/OP design. mechanics, utilities and traits, unlimited-area 360 degree teleporting position, perma-evades, perma/stealths, cheap-zero-low-skill class requirements..

Literally every skill on S/D (in PvP) has been nerfed except the autoattack. In fact, Sword #2 (IR) which that player was complaining about was specifically nerfed after that video was made.

The “unlimited 360 degree teleportation” is specially limited to places you can walk to and surfaces often contain features which prematurely end the shadowstep.

Please do some research or try playing the class yourself before you comment on something about which you have limited or skewed knowledge of.

By the way, once in stealth, thief is invulnerable to Every conditions

seriously, what is wrong with this picture?

Now can you see why they’re OP > Perma-Stealths> Perma-Invulnerabilities>God Mode

God Mode, " is a game mechanic or cheat that prevents the playing character from being harmed, sustaining damage and ultimately, dying.1 By contrast, invincibility or invulnerability etc..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_mode

“God Mode is an ability, often entered through a cheat code, that gives the player god-like abilities. God Mode usually imbues the player with the powers of invincibility. When included as a cheat code, God Mode has also been known to provide the player with certain abilities and effects beyond general invincibility "

see God Mode> warriors and elementalists

http://www.giantbomb.com/god-mode/3015-28/

I do know my research and know thief class pretty well; i belong to a thief guild, isn’t that enough?

See Thief “Nerfs” > In PVP Only

Truth

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/PW-6In-not-5-Pvp-only/first#post3841886

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Maugetarr.6823

OOO OO OOO
I got one…

The “unlimited 360 degree teleportation” is specially limited to places you can walk to and surfaces often contain features which prematurely end the shadowstep.

By the way, once in stealth, thief is invulnerable to Every conditions

seriously, what is wrong with this picture?

Now can you see why they’re OP > Perma-Stealths> Perma-Invulnerabilities>God Mode

Including Warriors and Elementalists

God Mode, " is a game mechanic or cheat that prevents the playing character from being harmed, sustaining damage and ultimately, dying.1 By contrast, invincibility or invulnerability etc..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_mode

“God Mode is an ability, often entered through a cheat code, that gives the player god-like abilities. God Mode usually imbues the player with the powers of invincibility. When included as a cheat code, God Mode has also been known to provide the player with certain abilities and effects beyond general invincibility "

http://www.giantbomb.com/god-mode/3015-28/

I do know my research and know thief class pretty well; i belong to a thief guild, isn’t that enough?

See Thief “Nerfs” > In PVP Only

Truth

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/PW-6In-not-5-Pvp-only/first#post3841886

November 2012: Dancing Dagger: This skill’s damage has been reduced by 50%
Cloak and Dagger: This skill’s damage has been reduced by 33% in PvP only.

June 2013: Larcenous Strike: Increased the initiative cost to 2.
Shadow Return (Infiltrator Strike Toggle): This skill is no longer a stun breaker.

October 2013:Larcenous Strike: This skill now steals only 1 boon.

December 2013: Sword—Shadow Return: Renamed to Infiltrator’s Return. Added a .25-second cast time.

BTW, belonging to a guild doesn’t make you an expert in that class. I belong to a guild that has all the classes, and by your logic that’s enough to know every counter to them and all of their strategies.

For your future reference before you talk about thief nerfs so you can look through all of them: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Updates

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Traps,fear and stun should brake stealth,if you dont control your character how can you stay in stealth just silly

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Zero Day.2594

hints: Sword/Dagger, OP condition short bow, unbalanced/God-Mode/OP design. mechanics, utilities and traits, unlimited-area 360 degree teleporting position, perma-evades, perma/stealths, perma-spams, cheap-zero-low-skill class requirements, only survivalist zerker class.

Ah! Okay!

Here’s another video,

From Feb. 7th, 2014…. Just for you i checked all the patch notes (wiki as them), and there werent any changes since then. So this build is still active.
Clearly OP too, says so in the video… and just watch how he massacres everyone in that video…. OOOOO PPPPPP….
And at 2:13/2:20… He killed a thief! …. I mean if everyone says thieves are OP…. well ranger are more OP since this video just proves that they can kill them…. Right?

@Maug
lol… it’s fine… youtube has so many videos…. I wonder if he can come up with an excuse for each one. And tbh, I’m just being silly, like always… And after all… we all love Burnfall and Sundeskal (hope i got it right this time…. haven’t seen him around).

Join the TEEFs!

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Maugetarr.6823

Ah! Okay!

Here’s another video,

From Feb. 7th, 2014…. Just for you i checked all the patch notes (wiki as them), and there werent any changes since then. So this build is still active.
Clearly OP too, says so in the video… and just watch how he massacres everyone in that video…. OOOOO PPPPPP….
And at 2:13/2:20… He killed a thief! …. I mean if everyone says thieves are OP…. well ranger are more OP since this video just proves that they can kill them…. Right?

@Maug
lol… it’s fine… youtube has so many videos…. I wonder if he can come up with an excuse for each one. And tbh, I’m just being silly, like always… And after all… we all love Burnfall and Sundeskal (hope i got it right this time…. haven’t seen him around).

Thankyou Zero Day for exposing the truth about rangers. Look al all the perma evades and permaburning and permapoison the OP ranger oppressors have access to.

How long have we been lied to that rangers are underpowered?

How long will ANet show favoritism toward the golden child ranger?

Rise up and shout the truth about rangers from the highest mountains

How long will rangers and condition guards dominate the lesser classes?

No more I say

This highlight video has removed the wool placed in front of my eyes by a class of deceivers!

As the saying goes:
“How can we trust the lies of the rangers who have stolen the precious CDI topic to gain even greater power?”

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Zero Day.2594

Thankyou Zero Day for exposing the truth about rangers. Look al all the perma evades and permaburning and permapoison the OP ranger oppressors have access to.

No more I say

This highlight video has removed the wool placed in front of my eyes by a class of deceivers!

As the saying goes:
“How can we trust the lies of the rangers who have stolen the precious CDI topic to gain even greater power?”

OMG…. Maug is so right…. have we been blind all along!?
The rangers have deceived us!

We all should start a QQ thread in their forum and in this balance forum!
Down with their permaburning!
Down with their permaposion!
Down with their perma-evades!

Down with their oppression!

Let us all rise against their ways, while they burn and fall!

I knew something was fishy with Burnfall…. he was just playing us all along…. he deceived us!
It’s what he plotted…. he’s like the Scarlet of the forums….
Make no mistakes brethrens they are the true source of evil!
Guide your tears and hate towards them…
Let the devs hear your cries caused by the rangers!

@Cogbyrn

We’re fairly used to it, almost everyday a “teef OP” or “nerf teef” post is made either here or on the thief forums. I’ve even started a Nerf Wish List to keep track of all the requests and hopefully stop the forum pollution :P
:D we’re just having fun with our buddy Burnfall… o.o who, in this turmoil, is revealed to be a deceiver! …. isn’t this more exciting then another QQ thread? Plus who likes seeing giant walls of text… gotta through videos and pictures in there to keep things interesting
Oh yeah sorry i couldn’t post under you, gotta wait 1h to post things :P yaya for flood control!

Join the TEEFs!

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

It’s like finding every conversation you can where people aim to discuss the Stealth mechanic and just screaming at the top of your lungs until they stop.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I saw you same people complaining about Warriors. I can only hope the Warriors are all “Oh look, more Warrior complaints. initiate Screaming Protocol 76 – Youtube Edition

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

Ah! Okay!

Here’s another video,

@Maug

No more I say

As the saying goes:

Oh my god I love you.
Ahem
Oh my god I love you.

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Evilek.5690

Evilek.5690

No!! you L2P your class.

Lastly,

What are you talking about? I play a BM bunker ranger and I don’t struggle against thieves, I certainly don’t give them a free lootbag. The only time a thief kills me is when they are genuinely better than me or I screw up, not because of our class.

In a fair, 1 vs 1 against a thief that doesn’t run away entirely, then it’s entirely possible that the ranger will win.

Time your dodges, work with your evades if you use the melee weapons/shortbow.

And sic ‘em is actually quite a useful utility if you time it well, it works as intended – you just need to wait for the optimal moment before you use it, usually just after their attack or when they look like they’re falling back slightly. Of course, you’ll need to keep yourself in a position to make the most of the 4 second reveal.

Also, yes, they can get out of our entangle, but so can any competent player of any class, the roots are easy to destroy and many classes have teleport-style abilities. Still, it does damage and slows them down a little if it hits. We also have other elites if you feel like entangle isn’t working for you.

It feels wrong to agree with a thief, but it does seem like you’re having a learn to play issue. As a trap ranger, you have the luxury of placing down your traps, spend your time dodging and evading inside the AoE and mopping up the silly thief that wanders into your killzone.

My advice is do not reply to his post, He lives in his own world
It’s an example of someone who badly plays and their inability to compensate for the forum

Evilek lvl 80 Charr Thief Why no ?
Fredy Brimstone lvl 80 Mighty Warrior
Oupí lvl 80 Immortal Guardian

(edited by Evilek.5690)

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Burnfall.9573

Evilek,

My world is a world of guild wars 2 having justice and equal opportunity for all.

Either you like it or not,

Either you accept it or not,

it will happen,

by

Arena.net

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Zero Day.2594

Evilek,

My world is a world of guild wars 2 having justice and equal opportunity for all.

Either you like it or not,

Either you accept it or not,

it will happen,

by

Arena.net

Be gone deceiver!

Maug has foiled your plot and revealed the truth!

Arena.net will never succumb to your evil ways of deception and oppression!

We would rather die (in game) then live in your evil world that you claim has justice but really it is injustice!

Join the TEEFs!

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

@Ision: Meanwhile, folks like you will shroud the issue in mockery, defending your own 3 skill rotation that works wonders on players and telling them they need to L2P, regardless of the fact that you’re leveraging a mechanic that the system provides almost no “typical” feedback for in order to learn what you’re doing right/wrong.

Ironically, you appear to be exactly the type who is also a dead-end with regard to arguing.

The answer to the OP is: damage shouldn’t necessarily break stealth. Successful application of damage against an invisible target should, however, give you some sort of information, such as the temporary (.5 seconds or so) blurred location of the stealthed target. Also, any attempted damage while in stealth in the form of any offensive ability (phantasms, backstab, choking gas, etc.) should break Stealth, though not necessarily apply Revealed unless they actually do damage.

In my opinion anyway.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Why does damage not break stealth?
~snip~

Not really. Stealth in Tyria is driven by Shadow Arts not a simple smoke and mirror tricks. Stealth, cloaking, and invisibility are synonymous in Tyria — thus, even with a huge spike through your leg, you can still stay invisible.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Zero Day.2594

Why does damage not break stealth?
~snip~

Not really. Stealth in Tyria is driven by Shadow Arts not a simple smoke and mirror tricks. Stealth, cloaking, and invisibility are synonymous in Tyria — thus, even with a huge spike through your leg, you can still stay invisible.

I know you’re looking a bit past what his trying to imply… Some sort of a “counter” or a way to reveal the thief in stealth. So far lot’s of people have asked for that, but none cared for the consequences that will effect the thief class should this be implement, or a propose any compensation.

Join the TEEFs!

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

place your traps in a different place closer to you, I do that with my mines on my engi. I would also suggest looking into making the AOE bigger on those things to help catch them in the field, and thieves aren’t immune btw they are probably just stealing with makes them port to you. I use that against mobs all day long, it’s awesome. In the engineer forums for PVP however people were suggesting the very same thing I’m telling you for your traps.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Thieves and stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Eloquence.5207

Eloquence.5207

Please don’t change stealth. I need my cheese.

Thanks.

- Pro Thief.

#lolL2P

“L2P” according to pr0 Thieves
http://youtu.be/k0YDuSLXcX8?t=3m16s
See, Blinding Powder is nothing.