What's wrong with thieves?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Thief hate has diminished because we have PU Mesmer’s to hate more. Let’s face it, our Royal Crown of Cheese has been passed to all the little micro sized Asura PU Mesmer’s running about now.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

There is a lot of hate against Thieves because playing against a Thief is not fun.

With stealth, shadowsteps/teleports and dodges Thieves have almost always the initiative during a fight, if you win against a Thief it was because he was bad, not because you were good.

PU Mesmers are not liked for similar reasons.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Kiriakulos.1690

Kiriakulos.1690

There is a lot of hate against Thieves because playing against a Thief is not fun.

With stealth, shadowsteps/teleports and dodges Thieves have almost always the initiative during a fight, if you win against a Thief it was because he was bad, not because you were good.

Because including Dota-like invisibility in the game and at the same time omit all the counters is surely good design. Never mind that LoL gave up on stealth and pretty much did their best to strip it from their game.

I still remember the whole Moba-like combat spiel from the pre-release, guess that didn’t pan out.

Attrition – A pretty name for taking longer than anyone else to kill something.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Run around erratically is a counter??

Against a backstab thief yes, you make it much more harder for the thief to land that hit in the back which is where you lose a good chunk of your health(Landing it on the back makes backstab do double damage). Just because they’re in stealth does not make them invulnerable to damage. You’ll get some damage into them unless you’re full on ranged class that uses full on conditions, then you use what AoE you have available. Hammer and Axe shield Warriors can gib thieves very easy.

I’ve faced good thieves on my guard and frankly the only one that can beat me consistently are P/D condi thieves. Everything else i can beat just because I know the class. Warriors, and engineers have a great time against them. too, and the variations of terrormancers and Power Necros with dagger.

PU mesmers are a pain, especially the condi ones that proc on clone death trait. Power build? Good luck trying to kill it when you have weakness on you 80% of the time. Still deals damage is stealth remaining cozy and safe. Of course in Spvp though this build isn’t that good because you can’t hold onto points well(stealth).

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Lucentfir.7430)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

I really don’t know how Thieves are perceived to be OP at all. Sure their stealth makes them a little tricky and consequently they have an easier time ganking unaware or lower skill players than most classes, but other than that they are really a bit on the weak side.

Their passive defense is just about worst in game and their unique ‘defensive’ skill works better offensively than it does defensively, which contributes to their ability to gank effectively while being below average to poor at virtually everything else.

When people get dunked by Thieves who know what they are doing. Theives must obvi be OP super broken, i mean c’mon if i lose that means it’s op right? =S

in Profession Balance

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

Thieves are a proff of extremes; either extreme stealth and burst or evade and sustain.
Extremely squishy outside those mechanics as well.
Personally, i would enjoy playing the proff more if it had a better ratio of facetankiness vs damage, but given their proliferation in all areas of play others disagree.
A situation i would attribute to the proffs ability to completely control the pace /duration of a skirmish, great for the thief, but can be frustrating for everyone else.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

i would argue that “Learning” to play against invisible opponent is an oxymoron.
But when you are short on arguments L2P is Always the answer.

Thanks for proving my point.

If you took the time to play a thief for a short while, then played your normal main and dueled against one a bit… you would be able to learn quite a bit about what they do in a given situation, and how to counter them. This is a great way to help learn how to fight against any class, I highly recommend trying it.

I started out as a thief @ launch, now I hardly ever play mine, but I don’t have many probs against them unless their build counters mine (which hardly a problem with the thief). I learned. You can too.

Looking @ your other posts it seems you main an eng. If that’s right and you’re complaining about thieves… you’re doing something wrong.

I’d rather say you proved mine instead.

If your opponent is able to predict you, he is either lucky or a mind reader or more easily you are being predictable.

Being predictable is the main trait of an unexperienced player and as i said it all comes from thief side.

I often remember how soulcalibur IV developers refused to put a custom mode in its ranking games because skills like invisibility (2 seconds once per round) couldn t be included in ANY serious game mode.

Having no tell, and no reaction window simply removes skill from a game.
Prediction may be part of it, pushing it too far simply comes to luck.

Not to mention that you can easily browse internet for the most ridiculous stealth skill in a game and see what you find.

This would be accurate in a fighting game..or a game where going into stealth was permanent.

The way stealth is in this game, you only have 2 options. Attack or Flee.

Though again as has been pointed out.
If you actually played a thief, you would know how to fight against them.

This game isn’t complex, nor is it hard.
You either play, learn, and win or you play, fail, and cry.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

I see this statement a lot in threads discussing Thief changes, and it’s often given as if it were a fact instead of an opinion.

I think Thieves are a lot of fun to fight.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

A lot of people seem to be pointing out that it’s not imba in PvP.

WvW is inherently imbalanced. Stealth is one of the lesser of the reasons why. If you want a balanced fight, go to PvP. If you want imbalanced fights go to WvW.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Profession Balance

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Are you telling that capturing during mistform would be game breaking as thief capturing during stealth?

Nope! That’s a confirmation bias if you got that from what I said. In fact, being stealthed is less OP than being invulnerable to damage. Now to be illogical like you, are you telling ME that being completely invulnerable and capturing isn’t as OP as capturing while stealthed.

The thief hate is strong with this one.

To tell the truth stealth is not much less OP that being invulnerable.

If an opponent is only invulnerable you can at least plan your defense and react.
If an opponent is stealthed you cannot react

If you are in mistform you can t do anything -.- and yet somehow you can be CC.
Not to mention the cooldown.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

They had so much potential back when they were first announced.

I remember everyone day-dreaming about them. ….thinking “hey, this is going to be a team/zerg focused game, so they’ll HAVE to give every class Team Utility, right??? Imagine all the useful things we could steal!” … meanwhile like 2/3’s of the arguments up to then were always “Warrior and Guardian is all anyone will want on their teams b/c best Support EVAR”. But we really thought for a little while there maybe Anet would be different and NOT make the same mistakes every other company made EVAR.

Oh, and Ranger somehow got kitten on too even though they USED to be very viable offense support in the first game when mixed with Rits & Gons.

Nope, instead they just gave thieves super trolly annoying Stealth-stomp and called it a day. ….sigh….

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: unlucky.9285

unlucky.9285

PU mesmers are a pain, especially the condi ones that proc on clone death trait. Power build? Good luck trying to kill it when you have weakness on you 80% of the time. Still deals damage is stealth remaining cozy and safe. Of course in Spvp though this build isn’t that good because you can’t hold onto points well(stealth).[/quote]

no.. they just kill you get 10 points for the stomp then cap it back for more points….. I would say that is better then denying it =s

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jagstang.6912

Jagstang.6912

Are you telling that capturing during mistform would be game breaking as thief capturing during stealth?

Nope! That’s a confirmation bias if you got that from what I said. In fact, being stealthed is less OP than being invulnerable to damage. Now to be illogical like you, are you telling ME that being completely invulnerable and capturing isn’t as OP as capturing while stealthed.

The thief hate is strong with this one.

To tell the truth stealth is not much less OP that being invulnerable.

If an opponent is only invulnerable you can at least plan your defense and react.
If an opponent is stealthed you cannot react

If you are in mistform you can t do anything -.- and yet somehow you can be CC.
Not to mention the cooldown.

You can’t react to a stealthed thief in a tiny little circle in pvp? You’re kidding right?

So you’re still trying to defend your claim that if a class is so balanced they should be able to capture points regardless? You realize that every class has a skill that prevents point-capture, right? If we take your fallacious claim that they’re not balanced because of point-capture negation, we’d have that every class isn’t balanced…

Do you still think that saying if a thief is so balanced they should be able to capture points while stealthed? What about a mesmer? Are they not balanced because they can’t capture points while stealthed? Do you think any class is balanced?