Why are Rangers forced to....

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

…trait for game mechanics that should already be standard gameplay? And why are we also forced to choose between the “good” traits (eagle eye, spotter, piercing arrows etc) which should already be merged??

Most recently observed with the “read the wind” trait. A GRANDMASTER trait that provides an attribute that we should have had in the first place. I’d just make clear to other professions that this trait does NOT double our bow attack speed, it just merely fixes the problem of slow and easily-dodgeable arrow flight. Y’know, I’m really trying to keep cool here but there’s so, so much genuine, brilliant feedback from the Ranger community and Anet is just ignoring it all.

Also, take Piercing Arrows for example. Why should we have to trait for this? The Necromancer staff auto pierces as standard, the Mesmer GS auto pierces as standard, and the Thief SB auto bounces as standard. I’m sure other classes have access to this but I’m tired and can’t think right now.

I’m genuinely worried that Rangers are just going to end up shafted once again. The lackluster “collaboration” on part of the devs in the Ranger CDI reflects the incoming “balance” changes, and I for one will not be optimistic.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Piercing arrows should be standard. That was my suggestion in the CDI. My other suggestion is that no class of skills should require more than 2 traits (this is a big ranger problem, but a lot of skill types would benefit if this was adhered to).

Hell, the warrior longbow pierces as standard.

Im not bothered by read the wind. It’s probably ok.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aegael.6938

Aegael.6938

I’ll wait until it comes out to pass judgment. If it fixes the issue of “obstructed! obstructed!” then it may very well be a trait worth taking. Maybe it should be baseline functionality, but if it were, our damage on the weapon might be lower. Then this new GM trait would just be a generic +% damage boost.

What actually baffles me the most about the longbow traits in general is that you can’t take all of them. You can’t have pierce and increased range and increased speed. Why can’t we just combine Read the Wind with Eagle Eye?

And even after that, you still need to take a separate trait for cooldown reduction. It’s really a big mess in my opinion.

(edited by Aegael.6938)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yea, I really hate to make comparisons about skills/weapons/traits between professions since it’s usually an apples-to-oranges type scenario, but it’s hard to not realize that the longbow is a much, much weaker version of the mesmer greatsword.

Mesmer Greatsword
Without talents, this weapon can:
– Pierce targets
– Hit targets instantly
and it brings very similar skills to the longbow (knockback and AoE cripple,)

If you pick up Piercing Arrows along with the new talent, you almost have the mesmer GS, but you will still be vulnerable to projectile reflect and will still probably miss some attacks due to the projectile travel time.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aegael.6938

Aegael.6938

They’re different classes with different armor, and the Longbow offers a bit more defensive options with the stealth.

That said you’re right about the GS. Maybe if Read The Wind prevented arrows from being reflected it’d see a lot of play and really fit the bill of a versatile GM trait, potentially useful in multiple game modes. At the moment, I don’t ever see Read the Wind being used in PvE.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ARVY.3069

ARVY.3069

I agree with everything listed. It’s unfortunate that Ranger’s ranged attacks ALL count as missiles, which is so frequently blocked, dodged, and reflected. If Read the Wind allows LB and SB to pierce, almost insta hit, and bypass missile reflects, then I think it would totally make up for all of our past QoL struggles. But once again, Anet has stoked the fire of the Angry Ranger mob.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Chaosbroker.3860

Chaosbroker.3860

Nope … no it doesn’t actually.

#1 Two shots, no pierce.
#2 3 projectile Shotgun effect with burning attached, still no pierce
#3 AoE Blast finisher, pierce pointless
#4 Blind on a single target, yep … still no pierce
#5 6 Bleed stacks and a 4 second immobilize on a single target, powerful yes, pierce no.

That said I don’t disagree with you for the most part. Just clearing up a misconception.

Callo Merlose – Revenant
Envy – Fort Aspenwood
“Believe in yourself … because the rest of us think you’re an idiot”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

We shouldn’t have to trait out bugs and bad design mechanics.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

Nope … no it doesn’t actually.

#1 Two shots, no pierce.
#2 3 projectile Shotgun effect with burning attached, still no pierce
#3 AoE Blast finisher, pierce pointless
#4 Blind on a single target, yep … still no pierce
#5 6 Bleed stacks and a 4 second immobilize on a single target, powerful yes, pierce no.

That said I don’t disagree with you for the most part. Just clearing up a misconception.

What lol?

1. Yes, it doesn’t pierce.
  2. Fan type shots always pierce on every weapon
  3. AoE
  4. Single target AoE (targets near the blast will be blinded and damaged)
  5. This skill pierces…

Compared to the Ranger

1. Doesn’t pierce
  2. Doesn’t pierce
  3. Doesn’t pierce
  4. Doesn’t pierce
  5. Our only AoE
Stormbluff Isle