Why the heavies are commanders in WvW ?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Renegade.6240

Renegade.6240

I’ve seen only 1 necromancer and 1 ranger commander in WvW, other were full Warriors and Guardians, why is that ? To survive zerk fights and lead the group ?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dei Veien.2456

Dei Veien.2456

Yup, pretty much. A guard or war is able to tank a lot more damage in general while blasting fields and giving eachother stability.
It is also the ability to lead from the front of the group while other classes are forced to at times take a few steps back.
That doesn’t mean that it isn’t possible for other classes to lead and stay at the head of the zerg it is just easier for the heavies.

Order of Intoxication [PSY]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Those heavies will often spec quite defensively with group condi clear utilities and such. This makes them ideal in a commander position because they can all provide support for each other and create a very durable blob. It means they aren’t always capable of precise burst damage since they have to move as a group and run over people.

In contrast, the other professions generally have more potent ranged ability, large AoEs, or quick escape options, meaning it’s a bit easier for them to fight from the backlines or to dart in and out very quickly. This means they’ll often be responsible for killing isolated targets, or to lock people down so the heavy core of the zerg can stomp on them. You could still make a commander with one of these professions, but it’s questionable as to whether that’s really optimal or not.

I haven’t really seen any style of back line commanding simply because it’s really important that the front line is going where it needs to go, and having the commander embedded there is key to being agile with the zerg. Maybe if you were using some kind of decentralized combat style it would work better to command from a rear position, but I’ve never seen that done.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i think because people follow the blue taco around and a hard to die taco is a good taco.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Lots and lots of stability, and cleanses.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I command on my engineer extremely often. We have one guildy who command on an ele very often, and another who commands regularly on a thief. We have another engineer on my server that commands regularly, and 2 rangers who do as well.

It is not uncommon to see other professions run as commanders. I think it is simply as other have said, easier with the survivability skills of a warrior and guardian, as well as beneficial to have their access to stability.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Vakrir.4829

Vakrir.4829

i think because people follow the blue taco around and a hard to die taco is a good taco.