Clock Tower instancing... wtf?

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: sean.6058

sean.6058

What was the logic behind making the clock tower an instanced race? I spend more time waiting for the ‘event’ to start than I do actually playing the jumping puzzle. Maybe in the future we could have regular jumping puzzles?

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There’s a completely different feeling to a jumping puzzle like this. A bit more camraderie.

People would try it and be standing there, with the same people time after time. Sometimes we’d start chatting between rounds and encourging each other, or laughing.

Admittedly not everyone’s cup of tea, but some people do play MMOs to be social. We have plenty of solo jumping puzzles. I’m not so worried about the holiday ones…the Christmas one is like this also.

It’s a community thing, and it’s not a bad thing…though it does have the disadvantage of taking more time.

The good news is, the further you get, the less time you have to wait…as you get better at it, you don’t wait nearly as much.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

You can’t have a timed regular jumping puzzle, it would just be the same thing, everyone standing around waiting for it to reset. It can either be individually instanced or group instanced, but those are the only two options.

in Blood and Madness

Vayne.8563

Technically there as a timed regular jumping puzzle in the game but its’ timed in small segments and not that popular. If hundreds of people went to Specc’s lab, though, it would be a disaster.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Last years version was better!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

The charm is in pressing the B key and placing bets on which poor sucker is going to fall next.

Assuming you aren’t one of the people who can actually accomplish the puzzle.

If you are, you can play the same minigame in reverse by just waiting in the tower and betting on who if anyone will show up next.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Mr Quinn.9815

Mr Quinn.9815

where is this tower ?

this notice was brought to you by a Misguided Misfit

in Blood and Madness

Vayne.8563

where is this tower ?

In the Mad King’s Realm. Enter one of the doors in Queensdale, Kessex or Gendarran fields, and talk to the charr NPC there. He’ll give you an option to get to the Mad King’s Tower.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Misterdeeply.8764

Misterdeeply.8764

If the clock tower wasn’t instanced then there would be too many people jumping at the same time and that is why they made it instanced + that is also why other people are in ghost form now, because many complained about that last year

Remember Norn or Charr with a little Asura underneath them xD

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

There’s a completely different feeling to a jumping puzzle like this. A bit more camraderie.

People would try it and be standing there, with the same people time after time. Sometimes we’d start chatting between rounds and encourging each other, or laughing.

Admittedly not everyone’s cup of tea, but some people do play MMOs to be social. We have plenty of solo jumping puzzles. I’m not so worried about the holiday ones…the Christmas one is like this also.

It’s a community thing, and it’s not a bad thing…though it does have the disadvantage of taking more time.

The good news is, the further you get, the less time you have to wait…as you get better at it, you don’t wait nearly as much.

Unfortunately, they’ve removed a lot of the community aspect from these.

You can’t play these mini-games with friends, and they even ghost out everyone so they even more anonymous strangers.

I remember last year laughing at this one charr that constantly fell and would yelp, we ended up being friends.

I also played the crap out of stuff with guildies, now you can’t.

This game supports playing with strangers more than playing with guilds and friends. Kind of frustrates me.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Hell Nirvana.9045

Hell Nirvana.9045

Unless you make it to the top.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

It’s exactly the same except that you can’t use PvE gear, your traits are (actually) disabled (they were supposed to be last year but were not), and you can no longer grief with larger characters.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: coffeeisyum.5297

coffeeisyum.5297

It was funner last year when the whole instancing meant that we would all start together and fail because we were all jumping at the same time (though that also made it more fun). Now the waiting is stupid and pointless since we’re basically waiting to jump by ourselves since others are almost non-existent.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

It’s exactly the same except that you can’t use PvE gear, your traits are (actually) disabled (they were supposed to be last year but were not), and you can no longer grief with larger characters.

And you can’t play with friends and guildmates, which is a super buzzkill.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

in Blood and Madness

Onshidesigns.1069

The other players was what made it fun.
Having it a PvP game adds more wait time.

Last year was better!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: coffeeisyum.5297

coffeeisyum.5297

You can’t parade around in your fancy holiday-inspired town clothes. You can’t place Boxes o’Fun and play around with people while we wait for our turns. You can’t join with friends and hang out with them while waiting.

Everything that was fun was stripped from this Clock Tower. It’s depressing.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Yeah last year it made sens but now all are in pvp clothe and turn into mist when it starts,really should just let you go solo and not wait for other players OR give last year version.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Yeah last year it made sens but now all are in pvp clothe and turn into mist when it starts,really should just let you go solo and not wait for other players OR give last year version.

The turning into mist is the only good change. The bad thing is they still haven’t removed the waiting. Which means people that have trouble with this tower simply won’t even try anymore as they wait most of the time, instead of trying to reach the top. And what’s the fun in waiting? (without even the possibility of some brawling, or other PvE joking stuff…)

in Blood and Madness

Conncept.7638

Last year was better!

It is a race, in no race I know of are you legally permitted to take up so much space as to block the track from other participators. That would completely defeat the purpose of a race in the first place, and is why all races have standardized size and lanes.

The other players are still there, you are still competing against them in the exact same race as last year, the only change is that you now are not required to grief or be griefed upon depending on your character. I play a max size norn, I felt sorry for a lot of the other guys last year and didn’t play it as much as I wanted because of that. Now I don’t have that problem, and I don’t see how anybody could think removing something that required certain players to grief against their will was a bad idea.

And I’ve no idea where you got that timing nonsense from but the wait time is exactly the same. Not sure why they moved it to PvP, possibly a technical issue with transforms and traits or something, but it hasn’t affected the timing by a single second.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Last year was better!

And I’ve no idea where you got that timing nonsense from but the wait time is exactly the same. Not sure why they moved it to PvP, possibly a technical issue with transforms and traits or something, but it hasn’t affected the timing by a single second.

You know time flies when you’re having fun? At least last year you could pass the time while brawling, and throwing snowballs around. This year, you just… wait. Which gives the impression you wait longer.

in Blood and Madness

Onshidesigns.1069

Last year was better!

It is a race, in no race I know of are you legally permitted to take up so much space as to block the track from other participators. That would completely defeat the purpose of a race in the first place, and is why all races have standardized size and lanes.

The other players are still there, you are still competing against them in the exact same race as last year, the only change is that you now are not required to grief or be griefed upon depending on your character. I play a max size norn, I felt sorry for a lot of the other guys last year and didn’t play it as much as I wanted because of that. Now I don’t have that problem, and I don’t see how anybody could think removing something that required certain players to grief against their will was a bad idea.

Nascar, indycar

That’s why there are driving teams in motorsports. So drivers can team up and block traffic.

Last 1:30 minutes are unplayable. Then you have to wait for a new loading screen and game to start.

(edited by Onshidesigns.1069)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Brizna.5612

Brizna.5612

I remember last year, in the early stages of the JP you were trying hard just to see your character, this year it’s hard to see the “competition”, all in all it’s made thr “hadest ever JP in GW2” a “yeah that was kind of hard JP”
Not saying it shouldn’t be like that, but I remember spending over 2 hours last year to get to the top….2 tries this year, sure experience matters but…. it felt lackluster and what is worst it devaluated my memory of last years “real” challenge.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Renn.8241

Renn.8241

The creator did mention he thought only 5% of players would finish it, it’s meant to be hard and shouldn’t be made easier.

Over 5% have already beaten it, It’s possible so keep trying or give up.

Once you have done it – it gets SO MUCH EASIER

~Renn~ Jade Quarry – Norn, – Ranger.

in Blood and Madness

Conncept.7638

Last year was better!

Nascar, indycar

That’s why there are driving teams in motorsports. So drivers can team up and block traffic.

Last 1:30 minutes are unplayable. Then you have to wait for a new loading screen and game to start.

Exactly how is adding a second person making yourself larger? It’s not, there is a great difference between teamwork and cheating. And not all races allow teams, the clock tower obviously being one of them, it is a free for all just as it was meant to be. Teaming up to block smaller character’s view was not competition, it was griefing.

And once again, it had the same wait time last year, if you got through in the best time possible, you were going to have a short wait before the next round. Nowhere did I say there is no wait time, I said that time had not increased, because it has not.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Blood and Madness

Onshidesigns.1069

Last year was better!

Nascar, indycar

Exactly how is adding a second person making yourself larger? It’s not, there is a great difference between teamwork and cheating. And not all races allow teams, the clock tower obviously being one of them, it is a free for all just as it was meant to be. Teaming up to block smaller character’s view was not competition, it was griefing.

And once again, it had the same wait time last year, if you got through in the best time possible, you were going to have a short wait before the next round. Nowhere did I say there is no wait time, I said that time had not increased, because it has not.

You have to wait at the last 1:30s left for the game to end. Then wait for a load screen.

Last year I didn’t have any problems getting past Nords.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Technically there as a timed regular jumping puzzle in the game but its’ timed in small segments and not that popular. If hundreds of people went to Specc’s lab, though, it would be a disaster.

Actually, there are two, Spekk’s lab and the geyser puzzle in Southsun cove.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Actually there are five.

Spekk’s Lab
Skipping Stones in Southsun Cove
Griffonrook Run (time bomb)
Winter Wonderland
The unfinished jumping puzzle in Caledon Forest

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Actually there are five.

Spekk’s Lab
Skipping Stones in Southsun Cove
Griffonrook Run (time bomb)
Winter Wonderland
The unfinished jumping puzzle in Caledon Forest

Winter wonderland isn’t currently ingame. I’ll admit the run didn’t come to mind due to a lack of moving/vanishing platforms but it is technically timed by the bomb. (Though the time given is extremely generous, and the real danger is the griffons.)

I wasn’t aware of any timed/unfinished JP in caledon forest. Is there some area with moving platforms or something? I only know of the normal four.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ