Confused at reception of event.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

Last year, when there was little use for candy corn, everyone had a dozen stacks in a few days. This year, we have astronomical requirements for the stuff and they’re reduced the rate at which you can get it by a massive degree. I imagine that few will bother to even try.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: liefbread.9513

liefbread.9513

As someone who missed last year, I was looking forward to working towards The Crossing and picking up a few of the “easier to obtain” skins.

Ended up working out that none of those were actually easy to obtain at all, Crossing seems like an astronomically difficult item to get, somewhere in line with a legendary in pricing (although apparently that was a typo on anets part? I’m still not sure if that new MF recipe just gets me the Recipe for the gift of the gift itself… it’s a difference of 200g in cost though.)

The content is mostly repetitive and boring and the current “goals” are so limited/astronomically difficult to obtain that there’s no excitement to working at it.

My mood was also soured by some of the “balancing” as a thief (as I got solid nerfs on both of my preferred weapon sets, s/p, s/d, while the one that everyone complains about, D/P, didn’t get hit at all… lol).

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and I was really enamored by the lore in general, however once the patch hit… I felt mostly burned out on GW2 in general. I might just take a break for a bit, I spent the last couple days theory crafting some builds… I started leveling a second thief so I could leave one in PVE and one in WvW without too much gear swapping hassle, but all in all, nothing overly positive to report.

Oh also I had a ton of mystery tonics I was looking forward to chucking into the forge, for maybe some other skins, but they never reenabled the mad king chest recipe, and that felt kind of crappy… Definitely reinforced the “shoulda been here last year.” feeling, that generally makes me feel like I missed “the golden age” of GW2 when everything was new, event’s weren’t “over cautiously developed” etc… Makes me sorry I took a break, but also makes me feel like there’s nothing to look forward to as things just seem to be trending downwards.

edit: Final note, feels like Anet pushed the old method of “hey you get skins for the heck of it because it’s a holiday” because they realized how precious skins were and how much cash could be made from more gem store skins (the BLK ones). The lack of one and addition of the other continues the trend of “more things to come… for a price” (or artificial scarcity of resources/rewards) and makes it feel more like I’m not going to “get the most out of the game” without continually pumping money or MASSIVE HOURS into it (and honestly, I did try to give ~$15 a month in the gem store… I’ve been between jobs lately so no such luck lately, and now I’m considering taking a break from the game entirely… but yeah)

(edited by liefbread.9513)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Missywink.7162

Missywink.7162

Only farmers will get anything from this event.

This. Drives me insane the constant grindfest we are getting now. May as well rename the game World of Warcraft.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Don’t know why there aren’t any new craftable weapon skins.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

I can’t compare it to last year because I wasn’t here last year. I mostly play WvW but I took last night to do some of the Halloween stuff. The instanced story intro seemed pretty good. I went to LA and did the jumping thing to get in the cauldron to do the costume brawl and that was fun.

Then I went out into the 3 Krytan zones to look for the doors. I found one, opened it and nothing happened so I clicked on it, thinking that was what I was supposed to do. I got sent to the Mad Realm and my only option was to go back to LA. Once I did that, I waypointed back to Kryta to keep looking for doors. I ran around for like 15 minutes and had about 5 of them disappear on me before I could reach them. I did manage to reach 3 or 4 of them and 2 of those dropped a trick or treat bag and the others, like the first one I encountered, seemed to do nothing. I don’t understand this content at all. Not fun.

Next I tried out the Lunatic Inquisition and played 2 or 3 rounds of that. I thought it was a fun game mode and will probably play it a couple more times before it goes away.

Last I did the Labyrinth. I ran around by myself for a bit just killing things (never saw a door or a boss) and then the zerg found me so I fell in with them. We killed three bosses, but I only got one of the achievements, curiously. I spent most of the time helping rez people during the boss fights. At the end of the night I had like 75 candy corn so I went to the holiday vendor to see what he sold and saw that it takes 1,000 to make one of the candy corn cobs and that the only things he sold require 15 and 20 of those cobs. This is the point where I pretty much wrote off ever going back to the Labyrinth. I get, at most, 3 hours a day to play after my kids are in bed and even if I did this every night for all 3 of those hours, there is no way I’d ever be able to afford anything.

I look forward to trying the clock tower tonight. I recently started seeking out jumping puzzles and have been enjoying them a lot so I think I will enjoy this.

This, beautifully summarizes what a huge portion of us are experiencing. We have families and responsibilities. Love to play the game, but have limited time to do so. Would like to have fun with the content and walk away with a treat at the end. But realize that’s impossible…

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Last year, when there was little use for candy corn, everyone had a dozen stacks in a few days. This year, we have astronomical requirements for the stuff and they’re reduced the rate at which you can get it by a massive degree. I imagine that few will bother to even try.

This is imo a factor. Also, last year zerg play was taking place primarily in WvW, maybe in temples and at farmable events like Plinx chain. Recently, we’ve seen a lot of large group content that is basically the same, like Jubilee and Invasions. On FC, invasions I’ve been to lately are under-utilized. Could be that people are getting tired of zerging, unless the rewards meet their expectations of return on time spent.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Recently, we’ve seen a lot of large group content that is basically the same, like Jubilee and Invasions. On FC, invasions I’ve been to lately are under-utilized. Could be that people are getting tired of zerging, unless the rewards meet their expectations of return on time spent.

I think this is a real problem. I had a blast with the Crown Pavilion when it was introduced, because I hadn’t done any major zerg-type events since the Karka Queen, and I enjoyed Scarlet’s invasions, too, for their large-scale combat that I wasn’t used to seeing in PvE. (Champ trains having not grown up yet, and me staying out of WvW as I do.) Now, however, Champ Trains are in their prime and we’re right off the Pavilion and Invasions. While this kind of content can be fun, and usually is, it’s wearing itself down with repetition, especially since Champ Trains are a common thing now, not a Living Story farm.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Sir Morgan Malory.2069

Sir Morgan Malory.2069

Halloween was the first living story event, makes it exciting and new, a promise of good things to come. This is just regurgitate content that we have already played through. I like replay the old content, but the should have been a large amount of new content introduced with the old stuff. Anyone saying that they want to running the JP with other players can go kitten themselves.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Galk the Bloody.4629

Galk the Bloody.4629

this year it should be called Hallo-Less, they cut out a mini game (reapers rumble), the mad king an witches outfit, an the old skins. Also they only added 3 skins this year that all look meh.