Lunatic Inquisition need some tweaking

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: NickChabby.8907

NickChabby.8907

Hello,

I’ll start first by saying I love this game. I fell in love with it last year and I’m still having fun this year. But my love for it doesn’t blind me from the issues it has.

Lunatic Inquisition need some balancing for next year.

At the moment, being a villagers is a synonym with death.
Ghosts respawn in 3 sec where they got killed, they do lots of damage and can spawn a fear scarecrow. Mad King Says is also a very powerful skills that harm a lot.
They can also see the location of almost every players by stepping on portals. The only disadvantage they have is their running speed. What can villagers actually do against that? Hidding in the best spot is impossible, staying in group and defend ourselves means one villager will at least get killed since the ghost will respawn anyway. Even if you slow them down with spider webs/torches, it’ll spawn the scarecrow or mad king says resulting in a death. It’s just delaying the inevitable.

We can’t do anything. At all. Which might be the point of the game, but why bother even trying to stay alive as a villager if there is no advantage to it? Why not just kill yourself and get all your pts/winning loot as a ghost? Being a villager should be as thrilling as being a ghost (and weaker too, I have nothing against that). The villagers only need to be a bit stronger.

I’m not suggesting to remove any skills. The only modification I suggest is very minimal: when a ghost get downed by players, it should respawn in the middle of the map.
That way, staying in group would actually mean something: killing the ghost would allow us to move to a next event/spot and stay alive. Hiding, although not the best playstyle I suggest, could end being useful once in a while, equiping bones, torches would actually serve another purpose than delaying our death of 10 seconds.

Because except all staying together next to a cliff with a bunch of hammers and torches, we can’t do much at the moment and the situation quickly gets out of control.

TL;DR: Make ghost respawn in the middle so villagers can be at least helpful at something and less lame to be.

Thank you

(edited by NickChabby.8907)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

It is very possible to win as a villager, but it requires the villagers to cooperate as a team, which I am not seeing that coordination or even the attitude that they can win this year.

Ghosts don’t respawn at the middle to discourage grabbing a hammer and trying to just kill the courtiers. The game is survival, it’s not supposed to be an evenly matched pvp fight. You can dodge roll to avoid the fear and attacks of a courtier if you time it right.

The only problem I currently see with the game is how spamable mad king says is (and that multiple courtiers using it stacks it so you have that many different emotes you need to do or you fail all of them but I assume that’s a bug), a higher cooldown would do wonders. Courtiers still have traps that I see very few using that would cover the higher cooldown of mad king says well. Maybe perhaps just make mad king says 1 skill that randomly selects an emote for the person to do. It’s nice to have 5 mad king says and there is strategy to saving certain emotes for certain times, like saving dance because it’s one of the longer emotes, but being able to apply it back to back to back to back to back is a little much (and then having a few courtiers on you that all do mad king says)

The radar I have a love hate relationship with. Sometimes I don’t even use it, preferring to just hunt blind, checking the usual spots people hide. Maybe it can be disabled until the last 10 or 5 people? (Just the radar function, not teleporting around the labyrinth) By that point they’re all going to be hiding and it’s actually needed. Though I wouldn’t view this as game breaking if it did or didn’t happen. There’s always the walls that mark people as they run by (Though there was a bug with them respawning, that they didn’t respawn at all, the last time I hit them with a hammer it’s been some time since that so that might have been fixed and i’m not aware of it.)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: PizzaSHARK.2741

PizzaSHARK.2741

It is very possible to win as a villager, but it requires the villagers to cooperate as a team, which I am not seeing that coordination or even the attitude that they can win this year.

If you take Mad King Says out of the picture (which is equivalent to pressing an “I win!” button), the sides are actually fairly balanced.

Remember that the game starts with many villagers and only one courtier; if the villagers band together, it’s pretty easy to mob the courtiers while turning in items to get feasts and NPCs roaming around.

Having someone take a hammer and smash the Mad King faces in the various walls to generate Boulders (which do significant damage and knock down courtiers, though they’re pretty easy to see coming) is also pretty nice.

The only problem I currently see with the game is how spamable mad king says is (and that multiple courtiers using it stacks it so you have that many different emotes you need to do or you fail all of them but I assume that’s a bug), a higher cooldown would do wonders. Courtiers still have traps that I see very few using that would cover the higher cooldown of mad king says well. Maybe perhaps just make mad king says 1 skill that randomly selects an emote for the person to do. It’s nice to have 5 mad king says and there is strategy to saving certain emotes for certain times, like saving dance because it’s one of the longer emotes, but being able to apply it back to back to back to back to back is a little much (and then having a few courtiers on you that all do mad king says)

Mad King Says needs to just be flatly removed. It’s completely superfluous; Courtiers can win just fine with some communication and good use of traps.

I wouldn’t be adverse to Mad King Thorne himself occasionally doing a Mad King Says that affects EVERYONE, though. Seems like a very Mad King sort of thing to do, you know?

The radar I have a love hate relationship with. Sometimes I don’t even use it, preferring to just hunt blind, checking the usual spots people hide. Maybe it can be disabled until the last 10 or 5 people? (Just the radar function, not teleporting around the labyrinth) By that point they’re all going to be hiding and it’s actually needed. Though I wouldn’t view this as game breaking if it did or didn’t happen. There’s always the walls that mark people as they run by (Though there was a bug with them respawning, that they didn’t respawn at all, the last time I hit them with a hammer it’s been some time since that so that might have been fixed and i’m not aware of it.)

I think villagers should appear on the map if they remain in the same area (say 200-300 radius) for more than 30 or so seconds, just to discourage extensive camping and hiding.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Zetsuei.8942

Zetsuei.8942

Get rid of Mad King says or severely alter it. Its the only reason why its stupid. You have so much power with those abilities that it makes the whole thing no fun.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I haven’t bothered with Lunatic Inquisition any more after seeing how unbalanced the Mad King Says skill is. Everyone spams it at once, and then you have to do all of those emotes. Hell, it doesn’t even tell you which emotes to do any more. This was obviously not tested very well.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Lighthammer.3280

Lighthammer.3280

Lunatic inquisition is most boring mini game by far. You run around for 15 minutes in a map way too big with way too little people in it, without a goal. I just don’t understand the idea behind it.

I just hope they don’t put it in daily rotation, because it sure does suck.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I haven’t bothered with Lunatic Inquisition any more after seeing how unbalanced the Mad King Says skill is. Everyone spams it at once, and then you have to do all of those emotes. Hell, it doesn’t even tell you which emotes to do any more. This was obviously not tested very well.

You can see which one you must do. And ghosts who spam it (which you cannot do, btw) have a serious speed problem.

I do like it, except for the fact that I have to keep killing myself to be able to play as a ghost. No matter how often I start, I always start as a villager…

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: PizzaSHARK.2741

PizzaSHARK.2741

Lunatic inquisition is most boring mini game by far. You run around for 15 minutes in a map way too big with way too little people in it, without a goal. I just don’t understand the idea behind it.

I think it’s more the fact that there’s almost never any communication or even socializing in the game. When villagers and ghosts are communicating and working together, it’s pretty fun. It’s funny to watch that first lone ghost spend five minutes dying repeatedly to a mob of villagers before he can finally kill one.

Sadly, that doesn’t happen very often because most people are there to play Microsoft Excel and make an arbitrary number grow a little bit bigger in pursuit of something shiny, rather than to actually play the game.

The map can feel too big at times, but I think it’s primarily a communication issue. Ghosts move pretty slow, but traps and teleports make it pretty easy to get from place to place. A more reliable radar to ensure villagers keep moving instead of hiding behind the same 3 buildings all game might be useful.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

I think it’s more the fact that there’s almost never any communication or even socializing in the game. When villagers and ghosts are communicating and working together, it’s pretty fun. It’s funny to watch that first lone ghost spend five minutes dying repeatedly to a mob of villagers before he can finally kill one.

Sadly, that doesn’t happen very often because most people are there to play Microsoft Excel and make an arbitrary number grow a little bit bigger in pursuit of something shiny, rather than to actually play the game.

The map can feel too big at times, but I think it’s primarily a communication issue. Ghosts move pretty slow, but traps and teleports make it pretty easy to get from place to place. A more reliable radar to ensure villagers keep moving instead of hiding behind the same 3 buildings all game might be useful.

That ghost must really suck then. When i’m the ghost and I see a mob of villagers running at me, I just laugh. Usually I kill a majority of them before they decide to actually run away, using mad king says to force them to drop their hammers in turn combined with my fear and dodge roll, I don’t usually die.

While the villagers do need the communication, for the ghosts it’s sort of a contest of who can get the most points. The only time I communicate with my team as a ghost is if someone is hiding in one of the spots where they jump off the map and respawn way out of my range.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

When you defeat a courtier, you are supposed to get the hell out of there ASAP, unless you have 2-4 guys with hammers.

But the game does a bad job at telling players that the courtier is coming back.
They should use a ‘tomb’ animation, and put some sort of warning or visible timer on top of it. Like the Jade Maw’s skulls.

They should also have some way to force players to move, like something courtiers can gather around and give as a tribute to the mad king in the center so he uses a skill that deals damage to villagers that do not run, or villagers losing health if they don’t eat for way too long.
Nothing as close as Southsun Survivial. More like starting as “fed” and then after 2 minutes and you get “hungry” and should find some food, use food once and you get another 2 minutes of ‘fed’ and until then you don’t lose any health at all.

Or something else to make finding the last guys less boring, like something else to do, such as enemies starting to spawn around even without villagers doing the events.

It could be mixed. At 5 minutes, extra patrols spawn, separate to those from the events. At 7 minutes, also veterans. Kill a veteran and it drops a bundle. Pick the bundle and bring it to the Mad King, and he issues a “walk” order that deals Burning for 10 seconds to anyone who isn’t moving while they have the effect.

But for this to work, those patrol and veterans would have to be stronger. They are too easy to kill, which makes gathering torches almost worthless. Also to compensate the forced movement, villagers should be able to carry 1 of each of the 6 bundles at the same time (as enabled skills like Southsun instead as droppable bundles), the hammer and the mad king say orders would still override them, but they’ll come back once the hammer is dropped or the order obeyed.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

They should also have some way to force players to move, like something courtiers can gather around and give as a tribute to the mad king in the center so he uses a skill that deals damage to villagers that do not run, or villagers losing health if they don’t eat for way too long.
Nothing as close as Southsun Survivial. More like starting as “fed” and then after 2 minutes and you get “hungry” and should find some food, use food once and you get another 2 minutes of ‘fed’ and until then you don’t lose any health at all.

Because courtiers need even more advantages against villagers right?

That spammable fear which also functions as a teleport taken together with the high damaging charge and cutting attacks is more than enough to make courtiers OPed against villagers even without mad king says, and you want to give them more?

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

As I said, nothing without something to compensate. I’ve already mentioned some examples, like making the patrols and veterans much stronger and letting villagers keep one of each item instead carrying just one as a bundle and dropping it when targeted with mad king says. Making it so only the hammer works as a bundle, while the other skills are one-time unlocked skills.

Currently villagers turn around when they see a courtier. Courtiers should turn around when they see a veteran. Maybe even a third event after the veteran, that gives villagers something that makes then invulnerable and 1-shot courtiers for a short time, much like the big dots in pac-man.

THe point is, finding a hiding in spot, specially a glitched one that cant be accessed normally, and staying there for the whole match hiding even from the other villagers works better than moving around doing stuff and working together. That should change. And anything must be done to change it.

And activities should well, be ACTIVE.

I’ve seen people killing themselves because they’d rather do something as a courtier than nothing as a villager.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

I’d love it if humans could move while stealthed. The idea that by the halfway mark (when both sides are equal in number) that humans gain a way to avoid being corned by hordes of ghosts would give humans a fighting chance. Its got a high cool down so its not possible to abuse it.

I also agree ghosts need to be sent back to middle on death. It worked wonders last year for allowing humans to have a slim chance because if we were found we’d kill the ghost and hide again. Instead of being found, followed and having every ghost port in front of us boxing us in.

#ELEtism

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: dithoricki.2397

dithoricki.2397

I agree. It is possible to win as a villager but they need to work together (which I haven’t had the luck with as of yet, everyone just runs off in different directions xD ), but I think that the Mad King Say’s ability is way too powerful. If I manage to get away even when they use one Mad King Say’s, they’ll just use another one and I’m dead.

As people have said, either tweak it, change it or remove it completely. The ghosts already do massive damage and such, I don’t feel they need the Mad King Say’s ability.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Mad King says needs to be toned down.
It make sense for the first lunatic to have these skills or other kind of advantage in order to prevent a horde of aggressive villagers to kitten him for the whole duration of the match, but granting every ghost the ability to spam MKS over and over creates a huge snowball effect.

The odds of lunatics winning are so high that there’s a lot of people that just commit suicide or let a ghost kill them as soon as the match starts.
Also, a lunatic win means, even with the 5 minute mark, a shorter game, so AP farmers kill themselves too and encourage other players to do so.

When half of the players have become lunatics in the first couple of minutes, there’s not really much villagers can do and the minigame loses any fun it could had.

in Blood and Madness

Ellisande.5218

I agree. It is possible to win as a villager but they need to work together (which I haven’t had the luck with as of yet, everyone just runs off in different directions xD ), but I think that the Mad King Say’s ability is way too powerful. If I manage to get away even when they use one Mad King Say’s, they’ll just use another one and I’m dead.

As people have said, either tweak it, change it or remove it completely. The ghosts already do massive damage and such, I don’t feel they need the Mad King Say’s ability.

If you haven’t done it, how do you know its possible?

I can say from my experience starting as a courtier that even when the villagers do all work together I still manage to kill them. All it takes is the villagers running out of items for 1 second, the courtier getting off one fear, one mad king says, or just killing a villager through attrition. Ultimately the villagers will lose, it just might take a little longer before the first villager dies.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Sachit.9753

Sachit.9753

Yes its hard, the reason being that winning as a villager will deny rewards to every courtier.

It is still possible to win though. Villagers are going to drop and inevitably start hunting you. Find a nice hiding spot (best if out of sight of another villager) and invis when u see a courtier coming and pray that they leave :P Even if they scarecrow the area try dodging inside the circle of your invis. With a little luck you can survive the night. So screw teamwork Its every man and woman for him/herself people :P

Attachments:

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Mad king says commands are prettyy broken. They take so long that the swiftness ultimately feels kinda redundant.

If they made the animation quicker, it’d be much less devestating. The knockdown and damage doesn’t help either.

I ? Karkas.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Heatsink.5794

Heatsink.5794

This design is so lopsided that it’s a joke. It looks like it didn’t get tested or something. So, yeah it needs to be fixed instead of giving one side all the I Win buttons.

in Blood and Madness

Ellisande.5218

Yes its hard, the reason being that winning as a villager will deny rewards to every courtier.

It is still possible to win though. Villagers are going to drop and inevitably start hunting you. Find a nice hiding spot (best if out of sight of another villager) and invis when u see a courtier coming and pray that they leave :P Even if they scarecrow the area try dodging inside the circle of your invis. With a little luck you can survive the night. So screw teamwork Its every man and woman for him/herself people :P

You must play against terrible courtiers. We use the fear and then wait around 10 seconds for any potential invisibility to wear off. Or I just set a trap and then fear, it has the same effect.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Traps are not a good substitute for Mad King Says. The point of Mad King Says is to delay fleeing ghosts. As it is, it is not easy for ghosts to keep up with villagers in a straight out chase.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

fear is too often making my character permanently stuck until a courtier converts me

Yeah, I get that bug sometimes too. It’s extremely annoying. >:(

Hiding really doesn’t work as a tactic for surviving the night. Experienced Courtiers will just use the teleporter radar to find you. In my experience, the best way to survive is to keep moving, grab items that immobilize courtiers (Torches and Spider Webs work best for this), and just keep running when Courtiers try to catch you. Dodge Scarecrows when the Courtiers try to use it on you, and when they use MKS, you need to do a bit of mental strategizing:

1. Not all the MKS are equally dangerous. The worst one to get on you is Dance, because that immobilizes you for the longest. Ponder and Cower are also bad. Shrug and Salute are relatively fast.

2. If the Courtier chasing you has already used their Scarecrow and you have a decent headstart, go ahead and perform the action, especially if you get Shrug or Salute. You’ll finish before they catch you, and the Swiftness you get for obeying will help you get away.

3. If the Courtier is too close, or if you get Dance, just ignore it and let it time out. The damage+Daze you get is ignorable if you have decently high health, and you can just run to a Food spawn, eat it and run out of range.

4. Of course, if you happen to be on low health, get Dance/Ponder/Cower and the Courtier is too close, then you’ve had it. Die and go kill some villagers.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

I like the suggestion that I’ve seen multiple times on the forum for Mad King Says: give it a better/higher cooldown, and if the villager successfully performs it, then the courtier suffers the consequence of a temporary stun, or even dies outright.

Then, as someone else said, it becomes a calculated gamble at best.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

fear is too often making my character permanently stuck until a courtier converts me

Yeah, I get that bug sometimes too. It’s extremely annoying. >:(

I don’t think it’s a bug. When it stacks, I see it says fright and then panic. There’s also a score piece for panic as well. While the tool tip is vague, it’s likely working as intended.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

No, I doubt that’s it. I often get it from the Scarecrows, which only cause a single stack of Fright. Panic is only caused when you get multiple hits of Fright in a row, such as from the scream attack.

Besides, the bug does not stop me from taking actions once the Fear wears off. If I have a Hammer in hand, for example, I can still attack with it. I just can’t move or turn around. It definitely feels like a bug to me.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

no it doesnt it’s super fun the way it is, except the fear bug

Are you Shpongled?