Please stop with the website stories...

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

Please put it in the game! I don’t care if its a book I have to read in the library in game, it kills the mood to read it on the website plus the glaring white back ground!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

If I don’t see it happen in the game, it didn’t happen.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Agreed. Put it in the game somehow. The game should tell its own story, not require supplementary texts from outside for basic lore.

A flashback cinematic would be epic, but even if it was just an in-game book somewhere it’d be better than always putting it on the website.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

completely agree, the story should be in-game, if it isn’t it doesn’t exist. not having it in-game is just lazy.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

completely agree, the story should be in-game, if it isn’t it doesn’t exist. not having it in-game is just lazy.

Agree with the lazy factor. Most of what we get every two weeks is lazy content there are exceptions but this is specifically true in the form of to-do lists and the story part of LS

Maybe lazy isn’t the right word though, i think a better word might be Rushed.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Hka.3942

Hka.3942

I agree, the lore is already hard enough to come around as it is without requiring to come on the website on top of that, no wonder why most of the player base has absolutely no idea/don’t care about what’s going on in game. Adding a tab in the hero pannel or adding it to the personnal story would be a BIG step forward, or heck even books in a library or something like said by OP.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And as always when they release posts like these people completely disregard the impossibility to show most (or all in this case) of it in game.

It would make zero sense to see this in the game, since the only people that actually would be able to show/tell us this is extremely unlikely to do so.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Kingmutez.4931

Kingmutez.4931

We’ve said it time and time again and they know but apparently its harder to implement than we think.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/Living-Story-Lore-vehicle-needed/first

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: The Meat Wagon.7194

The Meat Wagon.7194

I agree, the lore is already hard enough to come around as it is without requiring to come on the website on top of that, no wonder why most of the player base has absolutely no idea/don’t care about what’s going on in game. Adding a tab in the hero pannel or adding it to the personnal story would be a BIG step forward, or heck even books in a library or something like said by OP.

I agree, I still have no idea what the in game story was other than I defeated zhaitan.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

No, leave it on the website. I can access the site from work, but not the game. When I’m bored out of my mind, I like having these short stories to read.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Blood and Madness

Meriem.3504

And as always when they release posts like these people completely disregard the impossibility to show most (or all in this case) of it in game.

It would make zero sense to see this in the game, since the only people that actually would be able to show/tell us this is extremely unlikely to do so.

No no I don’t, did you not read my suggestion? We have people running around creating 8 bit mushroom clouds which I think is pretty impossible.

in Blood and Madness

lordkrall.7241

No no I don’t, did you not read my suggestion? We have people running around creating 8 bit mushroom clouds which I think is pretty impossible.

Yes, your suggestion was a library-book.
And how would you justify someone being able to write said book?

We have an Asura creating a video-game.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

Meriem.3504

Yes, your suggestion was a library-book.
And how would you justify someone being able to write said book?

We have an Asura creating a video-game.

We have 8 bit mushroom clouds in WvW, people running around with christmas weapons etc. etc. Do you think a pop gun will do anything to a dragon or anything else in this game? A book is a library isn’t gonna be all that bad.

(edited by Meriem.3504)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

It’s one of the better stories. But imagine how much more awesome it could have been as a concept art-style cinematic.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I dunno, I think they could have figured something out.

The Mad King could tell you his side of the story about how his son tried to overthrow him and he locked the brat in the box.

Edrick could tell you a little more about his side, what his plan was and how it went down.

Or heck, the Mad King with his magical powers and all could have just shown you a cinematic of the entire story as presented on the website.

in Blood and Madness

lordkrall.7241

We have 8 bit mushroom clouds in WvW, people running around with christmas weapons etc. etc. A book is a library isn’t gonna be all that bad.

The mushroom clouds are simply holograms, created by the same Asura that created the video game talked about earlier.

We have people running around with decorative weapons, which is something that is also done in the real world.

We do however NOT have people reading minds and knowing exact stuff that happened over two centuries ago without any witnesses other than two that would not speak of it.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I remember in early beta there was a collection tab for books. Looks like they got rid of that idea.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Blood and Madness

Meriem.3504

We have 8 bit mushroom clouds in WvW, people running around with christmas weapons etc. etc. A book is a library isn’t gonna be all that bad.

The mushroom clouds are simply holograms, created by the same Asura that created the video game talked about earlier.

We have people running around with decorative weapons, which is something that is also done in the real world.

We do however NOT have people reading minds and knowing exact stuff that happened over two centuries ago without any witnesses other than two that would not speak of it.

A wooden sword is not an effective combat tool neither is a pop gun. I am sorry if I am coming off hostile but you did directly come off insulting people in your first post, there is no needed to insult peoples intelligence.

I did think about it ahead of time and I simply disagree with your conclusions in above things being in the world itself. There was not lack of intelligence on my part.

(edited by Meriem.3504)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Matty.7395

Matty.7395

I feel the same, I think Anet could use the Priory HQ, the room at the center whit the flyng books.

Being able to interact whit it and then read this kind of story in a book style interface would be nice.
Just my thought

in Blood and Madness

lordkrall.7241

A wooden sword is not an effective combat tool neither is a pop gun. I am sorry if I am coming off hostile but you did directly come off insulting people in your first post, there is no needed to insult peoples intelligence. Thank you.

You have most likely never seen a skilled warrior with a wooden staff or something then I take it.
Wood can do massive damage if used right.

That is however beside the point. All those things can be explained as decorative weapons or toys.

Suddenly knowing something that only two people “alive” would know can however not be explained.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

Suddenly knowing something that only two people “alive” would know can however not be explained.

Sure it can.

“A new chapter has appeared within the pages of the Mad Memories, revealing to you a past that up to now has been known only to the Bloody Prince and the Mad King.”

And then they tie that together by releasing a new scavenger hunt that leads to yet another upgraded Mad Memories.

Look at that, justification for putting it in game and I thought it up in under a minute.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

It’s not laziness, it’s simply a product of the Living Story business model. A two-week release cycle simply doesn’t afford the developers sufficient time to properly develop and polish content. There’s a reason why this Living Story is time-gated behind Daily Achievements. What’s more, the temporary nature of the Living Story means that even if they did have time to get the quality of the content up to par with that in the game at release they’re not going to deem it worth the time or money to do so since it will all disappear in two to four weeks anyway.

in Blood and Madness

Meriem.3504

A wooden sword is not an effective combat tool neither is a pop gun. I am sorry if I am coming off hostile but you did directly come off insulting people in your first post, there is no needed to insult peoples intelligence. Thank you.

You have most likely never seen a skilled warrior with a wooden staff or something then I take it.
Wood can do massive damage if used right.

That is however beside the point. All those things can be explained as decorative weapons or toys.

I tried to apologize and make it civil you continue to start problems and insults.

I know wood can do massive damage but I pretty sure a steel sword vs a christmas wood sword you bought at Wal-Mart isn’t going to cut it, no pun intended. I also said wooden sword that is decorative not a combat staff martial artists use. You can’t just use ANY wood for it if you want a good wooden combat weapon.

A ghost servant could tell us the story who was under the Mad King among other ideas.

(edited by Meriem.3504)

in Blood and Madness

lordkrall.7241

Sure it can.

“A new chapter has appeared within the pages of the Mad Memories, revealing to you a past that up to now has been known only to the Bloody Prince and the Mad King.”

And then they tie that together by releasing a new scavenger hunt that leads to yet another upgraded Mad Memories.

Look at that, justification for putting it in game and I thought it up in under a minute.

We did however find out the information in the Mad Memories by finding stuff and talking to “people”. It didn’t magically turn up in the book for no reason whatsoever.

This could of course work for some parts of the story, but not all of them have other witnesses that could tell us the information, thus they wouldn’t be able to show us all of it.

Another thing to keep in mind is also the rating of the game, which could make some of the part impossible to show in the game.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

Meriem.3504

Sure it can.

We did however find out the information in the Mad Memories by finding stuff and talking to “people”. It didn’t magically turn up in the book for no reason whatsoever.

This could of course work for some parts of the story, but not all of them have other witnesses that could tell us the information, thus they wouldn’t be able to show us all of it.

Another thing to keep in mind is also the rating of the game, which could make some of the part impossible to show in the game.

The story can be altered to fit such things. We don’t always need every single detail.

in Blood and Madness

lordkrall.7241

So you would rather have a butchered version of the story in the game than the “full” story outside of the game?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I agree with the OP.
Game related lore belongs in the game. I also consider it to be a poor experience when I have to look for my lore outside the game. It breaks the natural flow of the game.

Maybe this could be addressed in the future.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Kerushi.7609

Kerushi.7609

No, leave it on the website. I can access the site from work, but not the game. When I’m bored out of my mind, I like having these short stories to read.

There is no reason why they can’t post them on the website and in the game.

If they release these short stories in game, it would be good for them all to be in one location (maybe the Durmand Priory HQ) and to receive a mail letting us know that the Durmand Priory has discovered a new text!

I don’t even need it to make much sense that there is a story there, as long as they are in a central location that everyone can access (LA would probably be better than the Priory now that I think about it), and we are informed that they exist.

~Shirin Shi (Silvari Necro)
TFG Os Northern Shiverpeaks

in Blood and Madness

Gene Archer.8560

It’s a magic book with a flaming skull on it. I think you’re looking far too hard for “logic” in this. Especially when you’re defending the killing of dragons with a gun that shoots a soft cork (a pop gun).

You are aware that the rating of this game is Teen, right? I’m pretty sure they can work with that quite easily.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

A wooden sword is not an effective combat tool

Are you serious? A wooden sword can be seriously dangerous if handled right… Or if handled wrong.

With regards to the library book idea, is it completely unreasonable to show your character start reading the book, then fade into a scene of the happenings in said book? This is a time-tested method of storytelling within game-storytelling

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

in Blood and Madness

Meriem.3504

So you would rather have a butchered version of the story in the game than the “full” story outside of the game?

Yep because if you role playing that is how it works. When do you IRL ever know every detail? You might find out a lot of details but you can’t ever go back to witness events that have happen, perhaps watch it on video etc but for the most part you don’t.

A wooden sword is not an effective combat tool

Are you serious? A wooden sword can be seriously dangerous if handled right… Or if handled wrong.

With regards to the library book idea, is it completely unreasonable to show your character start reading the book, then fade into a scene of the happenings in said book? This is a time-tested method of storytelling within game-storytelling

A pencil can be a deadly weapon and yes I am serious. Rusted metal can be a deadly weapon just by slicing someone.

I also am talking about decorative wooden swords like you buy at a christmas shop. Please check the previous posts as to why I said that.

(edited by Meriem.3504)

in Blood and Madness

lordkrall.7241

Yep because if you role playing that is how it works. When do you IRL ever know every detail? You might find out a lot of details but you can’t ever go back to witness events that have happen, perhaps watch it on video etc but for the most part you don’t.

If you, on the other hand, actually were a serious roleplayer you would NOT want this readable from a book in the game, since it would be completely impossible for said book to ever be written, from an ingame perspective.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

Meriem.3504

If you, on the other hand, actually were a serious roleplayer you would NOT want this readable from a book in the game, since it would be completely impossible for said book to ever be written, from an ingame perspective.

But it is prefered to the website if I have to pick the lesser of the two evils. The game helps the atmoshphere of the storys if that make sense. It is hard for me to explain what I mean.

When I read it in the game, the story sticks better and easier for me to get into then read it off a website. It just doesn’t connect all that well, sort of through one eye out the other.

(edited by Meriem.3504)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Marquie Thomas.1873

Marquie Thomas.1873

This could not have ben in game mad king killed all who knew about what he did to Edrick and he had them erase all of the boy’s record’s from history. Any way we will probably find out more via dialog from the prince and mad king themselves cause only they can tell the story now i love how ther dialog in the labyrinth is told cant wait till the update on the 22th well probably get more

in Blood and Madness

lordkrall.7241

I would have agreed if this was information that you HAD to know in order to understand the overall story. That is however not the case.
This is just some extra story for people that are interested in the lore and thus can be added out of the game without much issues.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

Gene Archer.8560

I would have agreed if this was information that you HAD to know in order to understand the overall story. That is however not the case.
This is just some extra story for people that are interested in the lore and thus can be added out of the game without much issues.

But why should that prevent it form being in game as well?

Seriously, what is actually wrong/bad about having this information in game? Do you have an actual argument for why this shouldn’t be in game? Because so far, it seems like you don’t want it in game for the sake of being contrary.

in Blood and Madness

Meriem.3504

I am sincere when I say this but they can just make a seperate zone that is library that has nothing to do with what your characters knows so you can read the storys as to keep the mood and atmosphere.

in Blood and Madness

lordkrall.7241

Seriously, what is actually wrong/bad about having this information in game? Do you have an actual argument for why this shouldn’t be in game? Because so far, it seems like you don’t want it in game for the sake of being contrary.

Simply the fact that it doesn’t make any sense or can’t in any way or form actually work in lore.
A rather have longer more informative pieces of lore outside of the game than having short butchered versions of the same lore in game, due to limitations.

I am sincere when I say this but they can just make a seperate zone that is library that has nothing to do with what your characters knows so you can read the storys as to keep the mood and atmosphere.

That would however totally destroy any kind of mood or atmosphere for quite a few serious RPers. Why would reading a book in-game (but outside of your character) be any different from reading the same outside of the game completely?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

Gene Archer.8560

Simply the fact that it doesn’t make any sense

We’re killing dragons with pop guns. Soft cork. Toys.
We have solid holograms. SOLID. HOLOGRAMS.

You’re cherry picking when it comes to what makes “sense”

or can’t in any way or form actually work in lore.

Except I already detailed how it could, and could even be put into an event, and create items from it, and be immersive. Because magic doesn’t have to make sense or be logical.

Because it’s magic.

A rather have longer more informative pieces of lore outside of the game than having short butchered versions of the same lore in game, due to limitations.

So you’d rather experience the game outside of the game? Then…why even play the game? Maybe Guild Wars should be a book series instead, then.

in Blood and Madness

Meriem.3504

Simply the fact that it doesn’t make any sense or can’t in any way or form actually work in lore.

That would however totally destroy any kind of mood or atmosphere for quite a few serious RPers. Why would reading a book in-game (but outside of your character) be any different from reading the same outside of the game completely?

Cause reading a bleh looking white blogged website verse sitting in a library is much nicer. Also the glaring white back ground doesn’t help.

Simply put this is my opinion. I don’t mean to sound rude you are running in circles with your arguements. I could say that why are Asura wasting time making fun little 8 bit mushroom clouds for war vs making real weapons or how a wooden anything would never ever pierce any dragon scale ever etc etc unless it maybe magical or was enchanted with dragon slaying etc. The arguments don’t go anywhere. The game does not have a realistic enough atmosphere to make such arguments. If this was LotR then maybe we can make such ones.

And yes fictional games ALL have realism to some extent because they are based off of reality in the first place.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

This, in multiple ways. For those who do visit the forums, there’s a definite disconnect in having to go online outside of the game for lore content. For those who don’t visit the forums or site, the lore content truly may as well not exist at all.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: effybuttonmoon.4607

effybuttonmoon.4607

I’m so sad this latest story isn’t in game It reveals so much about why Edrick is. I’m not sad for me, i read it(although on a website -.-) I’m sad for those who don’t spent their time on here, and choose to spend it in game(rightly so)…where they miss all this law and story ;/

C’mon Anet, how hard can it be, to implement some basic text into a living story???

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

This, in multiple ways. For those who do visit the forums, there’s a definite disconnect in having to go online outside of the game for lore content. For those who don’t visit the forums or site, the lore content truly may as well not exist at all.

But that’s the thing. A rather large proportion of those who don’t bother to read the stories (conveniently linked in the news feed when you log in) already… will definitely not go to the trouble of reading a lengthy story in-game. Especially on an substandard interface for conveying large chunks of text, compared to an internet browser.

They’ve said they’re working on a better vehicle for conveying the Living Story. But I really, really hope it’s considerably better than just the short stories in a library book. It needs to be something that can easily and succinctly convey lore to players who are only casually interested in lore; probably more so than to give lots of detail to those who are very much into lore. Hopefully, of course, they figure out some way to do both.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I liked the Family Business story and I think it’s a nice idea to put them into the game as books. There are already books as objects in the open-world and we had Majory’s Journal as an event item.

Being able to collect the books with event lore would be a cool thing to do, but it would be even better if they didn’t take up bag/bank space. One could a library shelf to our home instances that could serve as a guild bank but only allow books to be deposited in them.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ishmel.1308

Ishmel.1308

Personally I like the web-based short-stories. It gives me better insight into the lore than an in-game event ever could.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Huh, I didn’t even know about the story until I noticed this thread.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

I can’t believe the people arguing for the website stories are using “lore” as a reason it has to be told outside the game.

The Mad Memories was collected from, and the story told, by the ghost of people killed by the Mad King.

There is zero reason why the same method could not have been used again. In fact, it was pretty much expected that there would a new scavenger hunt for a new back item. “The Bloody Diary” or some such (maybe red flames, or dripping blood) could have followed exactly the same format, being told piece by piece by the ghosts of those witnesses.

The ghosts could even have been sealed away along with the Prince, released into the world after his first appearance and the scavenger hunt could have somehow been another requirement to finish the second story instance.

And right there, simply recycling more old content (just placing the ghosts in different locations) + the short story (a couple paragraphs from each ghost) would have been a much better addition to the current LS.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Grileenor.1497

Grileenor.1497

Please put it in the game! I don’t care if its a book I have to read in the library in game, it kills the mood to read it on the website plus the glaring white back ground!

This! Story on the website is lost after (if ever) you read it. In the game it becomes a permanent part of the games lore. Only very few players look up the website, all players are ingame and could be linked to the lore. Think about it.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Natsu.2589

Natsu.2589

Yes, I have to agree with the OP.

Anet, you practically disconnect your game from the lore. It’s soul is bound to die this way. Content has no meaning whatsoever, if it isn’t embedded into fluff.

Now, I realize, that the story, as it is depicted on the blog, wouldn’t make much sense to have in game, since the used point of view is one of a somewhat omnipotent external witness. However, this method by far isn’t the only one to transport a story. That’s nothing new to you. You’ve done that several times in the past. You just have to come back to it and implement it in the game. Let us discover snippets of the lore through NPCs or ancient books so we can put them together or let us go back in time to witness for ourselves to name just a few examples.

If that is to much of an effort, I dare say that your 2 week cadence isn’t fit to deliver quality. In that case, you might want to think about this again.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

Reading stories on the internet is not one of my hobbies. If I want to read, I grab my e-book reader or an old-fashioned book made of tree corpses. I wholeheartedly agree with OP that stories should be told in-game.