Achivement Points.

Achivement Points.

in Bazaar of the Four Winds

Posted by: Spectre.6821

Spectre.6821

Here is my 2¢. Achievement points are mainly, with a few exceptions, related to PVE content. In PVE we work as a team, or a community, to complete events etc. that lead up yo these achievements. Dungeon Achievements = 5 people, Mega Bosses = 10+ people. I highly doubt “skill” has anything to do with any of this, it is about “Participation.” Let me repeat that. “Participation.” So no, I don’t think there should be a leader board, nor a loss/gain of ways to earn achievements. Those who wish it to be a statement of elitism should probably dedicate yourselves more to PVP, where you can show off your “skills.”

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Who cares about catching up to people in AP? All you need to do is get enough achievement points for all of the rewards. Let’s say you get the final reward for 10000 AP, that’s all a new person needs to work toward. I mean, no one cares about leader boards, I honestly didn’t even know they had AP leaderboards, nor do I even care to look at it. I just want the rewards, and so does everyone else.

Unless they have a reward for being #1 in AP, which they never will, then it really doesn’t matter if the veterans of the game have 10000+. There’s a set number everyone needs to work toward. Some will get it done faster than others based on how long they’ve played, but everyone can work toward that goal.

And playing every day IS an achievement in itself and deserves the achievement points you get.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

the achievement points system is fine.
there is nothing wrong with it.
do not fix what is not broken.

however, there is a lot of wrong with those who are complaining about it though.

+1.
Agree100%!

Achivement Points.

Posted by: LowestTruth.2635

LowestTruth.2635

I only started playing in March. I have maybe 1900 points.

I do not understand this mentality of “need to catch up” or making it fair. AP are gathered over time, it takes time to gather them. I should not be able to ever catch someone who has been playing since release. That’s ridiculous. We’re not talking about levels or gear, we’re talking about points for just.. doing stuff. It’s not a competition of any kind. Check your attitude.

Tarnished Coast

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I agree, dailies and monthlies should give zero AP (myself I got about 9k, so I would loose a ton, too!)

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

The main difference in the big picture will be the living story. If you miss it or if you don’t do … let’s say the dungeon you easy miss ~100 achievement points. Leave the daily/monthly as it is – it will make people less likely to feel “forced” to do certain content they maybe don’t want to do.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Achivement Points.

Posted by: brunobyof.3541

brunobyof.3541

The idea is to encourage people venture into the depths of the game instead of doing the same thing ever. that’s the very reason for the achievement system to exist at all.

Lets figure it out:
Player A plays the game for 1 year doing only WvW runs
Player B plays the game for 1 year foing only PvE
Player C plays the game doing both

Which one should earn the most achievement points?
None. Both players should be able to complete great things in whatever they were playing, but the player who put himself into the most dangerous, hidden, tortuous ways, should earn more poiints than the player who only did map exploration or took camps in WvW….

Likewise, new players should be able to get even more AP’s than the players that have been playing for a long time, if they invest their time in those huge tasks.

After all, in the real life, you don’t earn nothing special for doing the same thing everyday.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

After all, in the real life, you don’t earn nothing special for doing the same thing everyday.

No, you earn a paycheck. You then save up money, from said paycheck, to buy “something special”.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: tfwzyko.3516

tfwzyko.3516

Well that’s a subtle way of saying “hey, everyone should lose some points so only people like me stay above the threshold!”

Jarate off.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Dailies obviously need to be removed from the reward system of achievement points.

Otherwise you will get horrible point inflation and completely exclude new players from the game.

Here is an example: Currently the top players have between 8000-10000 points. Almost half of those points come from dailies and monthlies. In another 6 months, 70% of their points will come from dailies and monthlies. This will continue to spiral out of control.

Lets look at a potential reward system.

Teir 1: 500 points
Tier 2: 1k
Tier 3: 2k
Tier 4: 3k
….
Tier 11: 10k

Without dailies you wouldn’t even be able to make it past tier 5 in this system, which means to get to tier 10 you would have to do every daily every day for 6 months or so even if you achieved everything in the game. This becomes purely another daily reward system, not an achievement award system.

If they set the reward tiers to actual achievements then it will be trivial because anyone that has been playing for 6 months or so will have accumulated that number of points in dailies without ever having to have achieved anything.

If you want to reward achievements then you should reward achievements, if you want to award dailies even more then you should award dailies anymore. However the current system is horribly broken and mixed up now that they are adding in this new component.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Dailies obviously need to be removed from the reward system of achievement points.

no, it does not needs to be removed.

Otherwise you will get horrible point inflation and completely exclude new players from the game.

no. it does not exclude new players from the game.

Here is an example: Currently the top players have between 8000-10000 points. Almost half of those points come from dailies and monthlies. In another 6 months, 70% of their points will come from dailies and monthlies. This will continue to spiral out of control.

this is working as intended.
there is nothing wrong.

….

Without dailies you wouldn’t even be able to make it past tier 5 in this system, which means to get to tier 10 you would have to do every daily every day for 6 months or so even if you achieved everything in the game. This becomes purely another daily reward system, not an achievement award system.

the achievement points is always about spending more time playing the game.
more time spent playing the game means more achievement points.

it is just that simple.

Achivement Points.

brunobyof.3541

No, you earn a paycheck. You then save up money, from said paycheck, to buy “something special”.

When i say somthing special, i mean something that cannot be bought, off course.
Altough somethings that can be bought could be called “special” also.

I mean, things like respect, titles, aknowledgement, love, and things like that.

To put it simple: GW2 is not a Job, it is supposed to be a game. The actual system is turning into something more like a job IMO. You are supposed to go every day, do the same things (even though, you can do something else), earn points (money), buy something you need/want and “be happy”.

A game is not like that.

Achivement Points.

ZudetGambeous.9573

no, it does not needs to be removed.

no. it does not exclude new players from the game.

this is working as intended.
there is nothing wrong.

….

the achievement points is always about spending more time playing the game.
more time spent playing the game means more achievement points.

it is just that simple.

You’ve provided no rebuttal at all, all you’ve said is “I like it the way it is so deal with it”
so yes it is “simple”, but not logical or useful to the discussion in any way.

I’d be happy to discuss, but please provide a valid reason that you should be given rewards for an achievement point system for not actually achieving anything? We already have a daily reward system. One that rewards time played with experience, gold, mystic coins, karma, and laurels. Commitment to time played is rewarded directly with laurels.

What is now being implemented is an achievement award system. One that in the current implementation does not award achievements, but rather dailies and time played. I’m arguing that we already have a system that rewards these aspects of the game so we should separate them so that the achievement award system rewards achievements, and the daily reward system awards time played and commitment.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

The better solution is to make everything else worth more AP.

Removing dailies is devaluing the work and effort that people have already put in. I think some of you are not considering this at all – that some people diligently worked to finish them every day with AP in mind.

To do this is the same as allowing people to farm for a desirable skin, and suddenly removing all the particle effects. Or allowing people to tech all the way up a trait line, and cutting the effectiveness in half. ArenaNet has been good about being fair about this to date, and hope they will continue to do so.

The flip side of this argument does have merit though. I have always thought that relatively large achievements have very little AP reward, which is the real reason dailies are being complained about. A revamp of this system would be very nice, as long as it could be some seamlessly and without causing massive bugs (maybe wishful thinking). Acquiring a legendary weapon, for example, should be worth far more.

WvW achievements are also on the short end of things. It took me a relatively long time to reach 10,000 kills, and the AP reward is very minor. Some tweaks here (possibly adding more tiers as well) would make WvW achievements more reasonable.

(edited by LFk.1408)

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Well that’s a subtle way of saying “hey, everyone should lose some points so only people like me stay above the threshold!”

Jarate off.

Exactly. There seem to be some people who think dailies and monthlies shouldn’t be awarding achievement points because in their opinion they’re not achievements.

I hope ANet changes the name of points to Activity Points, Reward Points, Arenanet Points or whatever else, so that they stop whining about dailies not being real achievements. Getting real tired of all this needless fuss about who deserves stuff and who doesn’t.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

(edited by Hermes.7014)

Achivement Points.

LowestTruth.2635

It’s not going to exclude me from the game. I will get there eventually. There is no inflation, it is what it is.

Tarnished Coast

Achivement Points.

brunobyof.3541

Jarate off.

Exactly. There seem to be some people who think dailies and monthlies shouldn’t be awarding achievement points because in their opinion they’re not achievements.

I hope ANet changes the name of points to Activity Points, Reward Points, Arenanet Points or whatever else, so that they stop whining about dailies not being real achievements. Getting real tired of all this needless fuss about who deserves stuff and who doesn’kittens

just illogical. If you create achievement points, but then reward people with them for doing 20 gatherings everyday, then you are being ingeuous. Specially if you call this an achievement.

You seem to just want to earn someee points and shiny things and don’t bother about logics and stuff right? okay you have your point, fair enough. But then simply don’t make it here and complain about people’s complains….it is just idiot.

Besides, we don’t want people that already earned tons of Achievement points from daylies to simply loose them. Instead, they should turn them into “Activity Points” or something else, because they are not achievements at all, but im not saying daylies don’t deserve or don’t need to be rewarded by any other means.

(edited by brunobyof.3541)

Achivement Points.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

I don’t understand why anyone is worried about what someone else has. Look at the awards, see which one you really want, and how many points you need to get there. Then start making progress. That’s all that should matter.

In GW1, when HoM launched, no one asked for an achievement reset or cried foul that some became easier or harder over time. Players didn’t make it a competition and try to take progress away from each other to improve their chances of being the first to 50/50. For the most part, the entire community just helped each other along so everyone could reach their goal.

Odds are someone will get it before you. Odds are you will also get it before a lot of other people. But that has no bearing either way.

There is no trophy for getting there first.

Why would you want to take away some arbitrary thing from someone else, that they may enjoy or feel they made a significant effort towards, just so you can feel like you have a chance to get it faster than a crowd of people that will never know or care? Just in general, that’s just a horribly flawed disposition.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

(edited by AcidicVision.5498)

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Morvani.2937

Morvani.2937

I’ve seen this come up a few times, both in this thread and in others related to the subject, that skill is somehow involved in these achievements. A few, maybe, like the WvW ones, and possibly the dungeon ones and jump puzzle. However, I certainly don’t feel like I’m any more ‘skillful’ in the game for having completed all but 3 of the ‘Slayer’ achievements (particularly that ambient creatures one… really? That’s a skill?), buying cultural armor, eating tons of foodcraft, etc.

Where I -do- feel more accomplished in the game is actually logging in every day, helping others out with their own achievements, dailies, and monthlies where I can (either as an ally or as zerg cannon fodder ), and keeping whatever meager skills I have as sharp as possible through daily use.

So I’m not sure where achievement points for dailies or monthlies are somehow ‘polluted’ (as I saw one put it) or worth less than achievements for other things.

Achivement Points.

brunobyof.3541

I don’t understand why anyone is worried about what someone else has. Look at the awards, see which one you really want, and how many points you need to get there. Then start making progress. That’s all that should matter.

In GW1, when HoM launched, no one asked for an achievement reset or cried foul that some became easier or harder over time. Players didn’t make it a competition and try to take progress away from each other to improve their chances of being the first to 50/50. For the most part, the entire community just helped each other along so everyone could reach their goal.

Odds are someone will get it before you. Odds are you will also get it before a lot of other people. But that has no bearing either way.

There is no trophy for getting there first.

Why would you want to take away some arbitrary thing from someone else, that they may enjoy or feel they made a significant effort towards, just so you can feel like you have a chance to get it faster than a crowd of people that will never know or care? Just in general, that’s just a horribly flawed disposition.

Its just that everyone set life standards for them based on actual experience and observation. Thats all a sistematic way that humans do to live in group instead of being just animals like any other in the wilds.

People want to come to another and say: “Hey look how many achievement points i got!” or “Chck this reward i got” or even “Oh my, this achievment took me ages to complete! but now i have a feeling of satisfaction”

Achivement Points.

ZudetGambeous.9573

The better solution is to make everything else worth more AP

While I agree that the points need to be balanced, all this would do is delay the underlying problem. There is no cap on AP’s awarded from dailies. This means the upper limit on AP’s will just keep going up and up and up until there are people with 50,000+ points even though the system will need to have a much lower reward cap to be useable to new and veteran players alike.

I think a good compromise would be to cap the daily achievement points similarly to the cap for dungeon explorer and salvaging. Even if you cap it very high, say 5000 points, it would solve the problem and still let players progress just through playing.

Achivement Points.

brunobyof.3541

You just need to subtract the achievement points earned by doing events and daylies that are not suposed to exist in the first place. And keep the points that should.

And for players don’t complain about their many hours lost because they spent them only to earn points (which obviously isn’t true), simply change these points into some other kind of reward.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Emma J.1940

Emma J.1940

The simple answer is remove the leaderboard If you don’t know what other people have you wont worry about it, or worry trying to catch up, you can just brag to your friends instead about how well you’ve done.

Please let everyone just play the game how they like, don’t alter dalies. What does it matter to you how people get their scores they’re not denying you anything.

The only thing I think would be nice is if they add to the achievements bonus like those for special events. So if you’ve spent the time or skill (for the elitists!) and done all the jumping or crafted all the gear you get a prize.

(Talking about the PvE game now)

The game has never been about trying to catch up with some one, an ongoing evolving game can not be played like that. Some one will always miss an event, you can’t roll things back for them or holt everyones progress because some players buy the game later or can’t spend as much time in game. Do you suggest that special events don’t have rewards in future because people who buy the game next year will have missed them and it wont be fair?

It’s a game not a competion, if it was we wouldn’t be able to all farm the same nodes and by the sounds of things it would end up like WOW, with everyone beating each other up for things. That’s why we’re all playing GW2 for the co-operation not the fear of being mugged in game.

If you want a competion, leaderboards etc or you want to show off your skills and great game play do PvP, if your not getting the recognition there for your hard work ask Anet to change some things. I don’t do PvP so I don’t know what it’s like for rewards and stuff.

So for now I’d say wait until we see the new changes and then you can complain but don’t try to take away other peoples rewards for what ever reason you think.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Xenlai.8694

Xenlai.8694

The simple answer is remove the leaderboard If you don’t know what other people have you wont worry about it, or worry trying to catch up, you can just brag to your friends instead about how well you’ve done.

Please let everyone just play the game how they like, don’t alter dalies. What does it matter to you how people get their scores they’re not denying you anything.

The only thing I think would be nice is if they add to the achievements bonus like those for special events. So if you’ve spent the time or skill (for the elitists!) and done all the jumping or crafted all the gear you get a prize.

(Talking about the PvE game now)

The game has never been about trying to catch up with some one, an ongoing evolving game can not be played like that. Some one will always miss an event, you can’t roll things back for them or holt everyones progress because some players buy the game later or can’t spend as much time in game. Do you suggest that special events don’t have rewards in future because people who buy the game next year will have missed them and it wont be fair?

It’s a game not a competion, if it was we wouldn’t be able to all farm the same nodes and by the sounds of things it would end up like WOW, with everyone beating each other up for things. That’s why we’re all playing GW2 for the co-operation not the fear of being mugged in game.

If you want a competion, leaderboards etc or you want to show off your skills and great game play do PvP, if your not getting the recognition there for your hard work ask Anet to change some things. I don’t do PvP so I don’t know what it’s like for rewards and stuff.

So for now I’d say wait until we see the new changes and then you can complain but don’t try to take away other peoples rewards for what ever reason you think.

The leaderboards are not the issue here. The issue is that the achievements are unbalanced and need a fix.
If the leaderboards were the issue this thread would have been made a long time ago.

If anet decides to let the dailies be what they are, then they should at least balance WvW achievements and the rest that take weeks, months, years (!) to complete yet give too little AP.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

Its easy to see that alot of the complaints here are mostly from kids whom has never step into the working world .

They think that when they finally get a job,they will be the director or the CEO of the company immediately.

The concept of seniority and reward over time is hard to grasp for them. Thus the concept of having high achivement points from starting the game early and rewards unlocked from having high achievementpoints is hard to grasp for them.

They expect to reap the same rewards as others even if they did not invested the time and effort.

Achivement Points.

LowestTruth.2635

So how do you guys feel about games that have “veteran rewards” that give bonuses and such for the number of months subscribed or time played? I bet that really stings.

Tarnished Coast

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Xenlai.8694

Xenlai.8694

Its easy to see that alot of the complaints here are mostly from kids whom has never step into the working world .

They think that when they finally get a job,they will be the director or the CEO of the company immediately.

The concept of seniority and reward over time is hard to grasp for them. Thus the concept of having high achivement points from starting the game early and rewards unlocked from having high achievementpoints is hard to grasp for them.

They expect to reap the same rewards as others even if they did not invested the time and effort.

And in the real world the government comes and takes your hard earn money from your bank. Thank god this is a game or else anet might take our moneys from our banks!!
Anyway, I have yet to see a post which even hints of what you say. No one asks for free AP. This is clearly a balance issue.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

I’ve got just under 4000 points, and I’ve been playing since release, although I did have a two month break due to being busy. I don’t care if OP and others have 9000 points, good for you, I am happy for you. I do think OP’s request is absurd though.

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

There seem to be some people who think dailies and monthlies shouldn’t be awarding achievement points because in their opinion they’re not achievements.

This sentence wins the internets today, for two reasons.

It correctly states the situation of people thinking their personal opinions should control what others do, enjoy, or receive for their time.

It also demonstrates the correct uses of all three forms of “their, they’re, and there”. This makes me happy in ways I am not properly able to express.

And in the real world the government comes and takes your hard earn money from your bank. Thank god this is a game or else anet might take our moneys from our banks!!
Anyway, I have yet to see a post which even hints of what you say. No one asks for free AP. This is clearly a balance issue.

Tax in GW2 works much like it does in Washington state (where ANet is located). There is no tax on paychecks (your earnings from events and sales to NPCs) but there are taxes on sales (TP fees) and gasoline (waypoints).

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

(edited by Thrashbarg.9820)

Achivement Points.

Posted by: tovadaun.6304

tovadaun.6304

I think the idea of getting rid of AP for dailies and monthlies and the like is petty and shows a true jealous nature in each of you pressing so hard for it.
My boyfriend and I bought this game in February. Where I now have just over 2k AP, he has just over 200. He puts in a lot more time at work and into his house than I have to in mine. Most of his AP comes from dailies. For him, it is an achv to get into game and get his daily done most of the time. So by taking those points away, you will then tell those who do play, but are constrained by job or family that the time they have to play is now Worthless. That because they are not able to complete Living Story Events- Have time to spend at length in Dungeons- Have time to spend at length in PvP or WvW- that their time is Meaningless and Worthless.
That’s not a way to help encourage the Community.
Do we even know HOW these Rewards will be set up yet? Has there been some sort of system released to us? Do you have a link that shows that it is in fact a ‘spendable’ currency? Or maybe it might end up that as an example:
for each 200AP in the Dailies/Monthlies Category you’ll get ‘XXX’ shiny prize (and tiers)
for each 10AP in the JP Category you’ll get ‘XXX shiny prize (and tiers)
??
Do we even know how it’s to work yet? Before we go bashing on each and everyone’s way of accumulating anything at all?
I do not PvP. Period. I never will. Gratz to those of you who will get all those extra AP over me because you can, and do it well! I wouldn’t dream of taking any of those from you, for any reason. You say ‘Ok, killing One Dude in PvP seems stupid, why get a point for it? that’s OP’ Maybe to you. To me, it would be an achv. Because I am dismal at PvP of any kind. I’m also dismal at JPs. I’ll never have many of those. I’m not complaining about them, either. If someone’s idea of earning a reward is to Grind Out Dailies for a year… That my friend, is worth an Achievement!
F&F won’t be back. So the person who buys the game today won’t ever get those points for completing that LS. It just doesn’t track to penalize anyone for their play style, play availability, or play time.
I see my AP and know that I put in all that time and effort to get the points I earned.

Kitta the Conjurer, Guardian- At Your Service- Yak’s Bend
Stuff! Stuffy stuff stuff stuff!!

Achivement Points.

brunobyof.3541

Guys, cmon give yourselves a little bit of time to think what you’re saying.

Can anyone answer what are achievements for?
Why they need to be related to any kind of points in first place?
If they will exist only to get some kind of reward in game, then why dont call it tokens, or “commitment points” or whatever other kind of name you want?

Thats not about jealousy, or the lack of haven the first job. its logics.

So now we will have to use laurels for endgame gear, karma for recipes, gold for cosmetics, and…achievement points for cute rewards not yet revealed???

Cmon, this isn’t right. You guys that actually have 10k points of achievements, you deserve 1 million golds, respect, you are the best, congratulations!

But tell me, do you think that doing the same gathering and other boring and easy tasks everyday can be called an achievement? pfff

(edited by brunobyof.3541)

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Gildan Bladeborn.2198

Gildan Bladeborn.2198

How to phrase this best, hmm… ah, got it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Your request is absurd and illogical – the achievement points your account has attained shows the amount of work you’ve put into playing the game, and their plan to reward players accordingly is great – why on earth would anyone want them to take points AWAY?!

Sure, new players can pretty much never ever catch up to folks on the leaderboard now (unless everyone on it just stops playing), but who cares? The leaderboard is meaningless bragging rights (just like achievement points were until this patch hits), and the notion that people would only do dailies for their achievement tier rewards because it’s the “easier alternative” is silly for a variety of reasons (not the least of which is, you don’t even know what comprises a “tier” yet).

Right now if you do every single daily category you get 15 points a day. That’s it. The overwhelming majority of players don’t bother, so they get 5 from PvE (plus a point here or there from incidentally completing things without really trying), and 4 from sPvP, IF they do sPvP (a lot of folks have never even tried). You really think people are going to be racking up achievement tiers getting 5 points every day and they’ll have no incentive to do anything else because those 5 points are available?

Don’t be absurd.

Ceia Mirschail is my mesmer, and I am one of [SLVR]’s overachievers.
Ehmry Bay for life!

(edited by Gildan Bladeborn.2198)

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

I have over 10k AP and I agree that something should be done with daily AP. Namely, IMO best idea is to put a cap on how many you can get by doing dailies. Something substantial. Like an amount equal to one, two or three years worth of dailies. But there should be a cap even if very hard to reach. Infinite design is bad IMO.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Well some ‘new’ info about it, here. Still no info on how we receive them or if we can get them multiple times.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

As a player around the top 500 NA in achievement points, I absolutely agree that dailies/monthlies shouldn’t count for achievement score. Dailies and monthlies pollute the achievement score with points that really don’t say anything about one’s achievements, but speak more to the volume of hours spent in-game.

I so do not understand this mentality. Anet says “behold, we will give you free stuff”! Instead of saying “wow, nice, thank you!” you say “mmmm, nice, but don’t let other people get more rewards than me, because I deserve it more. Because look, I did all this difficult stuff whereas they had it easy!” I’m not a fan of this attitude. Therefore, I’m just gonna say “thank you!”, and say points are points. I don’t care one iota if my neighbor therefore receives more rewards than I do. Such demands always backfire anyway, so stop asking for it.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

<what you said>

I agree with you. I don’t see why so many people want to take away achievement points from the daily’s/monthly’s (also note that I never heard of this complaint, not that I was looking, before the new announcement). It mostly just makes people seem like they want to keep other people from being rewarded for the way they like to play. I personally only like to play my main, and really only like my 2 weapon sets. So I have way more than 5k 1h sword/bow kills, but close to 0 for the other weapons. I play how I enjoy playing, some people enjoy doing the dailies why should they be penalized?

Some arguments were that you already get too much from the daily (exp, 5s, 4.5k karma, possible gem store item, laurel). The main thing of value in that is the laurel (for those that still want/need something that you can buy with laurels). 5s is selling 3-4 items, the exp is ~5% of a level (which helps in leveling up but doesn’t matter much after that), so really the rewards from the daily are just small bonuses not something great like a lot of people make them out to be.

Also my (hyperbolic) counter to that would be, well in WvW now you can gain ranks. Those ranks actually make you stronger, isn’t that enough of a reward? They should remove all achievements from WvW because you guys get enough rewards for participating (once again I’m going to the extreme to make a point, just because the daily gives some rewards doesn’t mean that you should remove achievement points from it).

To another complaint I noticed. “Well people who join now will never be able to catch up.” My initial response is, so? Isn’t that the reward for someone playing since day one compared to someone who joins 10 months later (same thing with the living story, anyone new never gets to experience those events either). But a more thought out response is, removing achievement points from the daily would pretty much cap the total amount of achievement points you could ever gain (even more so if you don’t like one or two of PvE, PvP, or WvW). Yes there are the living story, but if the argument is that the daily gives an unfair advantage to people who have been playing longer (or who can long in every day) why should the living story events have achievement points as they fall into the same criteria?

Finally, why does it matter how many points another person has? You can get just as many points (if you want to) given some time. If (and I hope they are) the skin rewards are like the HOM reward system who cares? I don’t think I’ve never seen anyone complain that they can’t get the firey 1h dragon sword skin because they didn’t play gw1, how is this any different? They are/(could be) cosmetic skins, which everyone can eventually attain however they want. It’s no different from running a dungeon exp path to get tokens to get it’s armor, or playing fractals to get weapon skin.

And while I do hope the “permanent account bonuses” are things like +% salvage and +% magic find I don’t care if someone who has x2 my achievement points gets extra bonuses. Those titles were a pain to attain in gw1, so if the same is true here it’s something to work towards.

We should be happy for this change, not trying to tear things out of each others hands.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Heapheaus.5238

Heapheaus.5238

I have over 10k AP and I agree that something should be done with daily AP. Namely, IMO best idea is to put a cap on how many you can get by doing dailies. Something substantial. Like an amount equal to one, two or three years worth of dailies. But there should be a cap even if very hard to reach. Infinite design is bad IMO.

It’s nice seeing an occasional person actually reads what I wrote and reinforced. But yes after thinking about it more, I agree that a cap on points available from dailys would be best. For everyone that seems to assume im trying to beg for points, I have over 9.3k AP and 90% of the achievements, not to mention that’s not the point im trying to raise.

Achivement Points.

Wallace MacBix.2089

Well some ‘new’ info about it, here. Still no info on how we receive them or if we can get them multiple times.

Ah thanks, didn’t catch this. And I’ll just quote this:

“Play the way you want and earn powerful rewards as you do so!”

I think that first part, “play the way you want,” has been what gw2 has been all about since Aug. And I hope that others become more understanding towards their fellow gamers.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I think that first part, “play the way you want,” has been what gw2 has been all about since Aug. And I hope that others become more understanding towards their fellow gamers.

Well its kinda is play how you want, but its definitely not play when you want, since we have to keep playing any new stuff based on their schedule since its not permanent.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Achivement Points.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Wait….. you want to make it so that new players don’t have to earn anything? Just let them jump into the game and have the same stuff someone who has spent 6mo-1year working on? That’s exactly why every new account gets 50 gold so they can catch up….oh wait, they don’t. Achievement points are tied to the time & effort a player puts into playing the game. They are fine as they are and if there is stuff beyond whatever place I am in the grand scheme of things….well guess what…I’ll work towards it.

This attitude is exactly what’s wrong with a lot of the kids I see these days (and my ex-husband). They want everything that everyone else has and have no patience or willingness to save up and work towards something.

Achivement Points.

Wallace MacBix.2089

Well its kinda is play how you want, but its definitely not play when you want, since we have to keep playing any new stuff based on their schedule since its not permanent.

Lol, yeah I can’t argue about that. Right before BotFW was announced I thought I’d have some time to play some of the rpg’s I have waiting for me. But I can’t complain that they keep adding new content fairly quickly and for no cost (and they’ve been getting better about the rewards/achievements. If you don’t like one thing there’s usually enough options to at least get the limited reward doing something that you do like).

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

If there would be a cap on dailies/monthlies – should there be a cap for living story and holidays as well?

Some other companies work with “veteran” rewards, be a subscriber for a year – get a shiny. Should they also cap that and say after 3 years no more?

I don’t particularly understand the reasoning. No matter what number A-net will throw out there I will know that I will get there. Would you rather force me to do content that I am not fond of?
Just examples – let’s say I’m missing on another 100 points but the only thing left for me is fractals – so I have to do that up to level 40? Frustrate me at this one JP I cannot do for the life of me? 250.000 kills in WvW?

That is definitely not “play the way you want”.

I do see the problem of the “weekend warrior” coming up again similar to the laurels. I could imagine letting us make up for a week – but if the idea is to distribute the players time-wise then this is a better system.

No one is locked out of anything – it’s just a matter of time.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Heapheaus.5238

Heapheaus.5238

Wait….. you want to make it so that new players don’t have to earn anything? Just let them jump into the game and have the same stuff someone who has spent 6mo-1year working on? That’s exactly why every new account gets 50 gold so they can catch up….oh wait, they don’t. Achievement points are tied to the time & effort a player puts into playing the game. They are fine as they are and if there is stuff beyond whatever place I am in the grand scheme of things….well guess what…I’ll work towards it.

This attitude is exactly what’s wrong with a lot of the kids I see these days (and my ex-husband). They want everything that everyone else has and have no patience or willingness to save up and work towards something.

Reread what I wrote before you reply. That is NOT what I was asking for.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Uther Deathhand.1570

Uther Deathhand.1570

This is where a years worth of dailies/monthly need to be made available in order to give the opportunity for new starters to catch up.

None of the other currencies are capped in order to give new players “a chance to catch up”: not gold, not dungeon tokens, skill points, karma, laurels or whatever… ?!

Why should AP suddenly be treated differently from all the other currencies?

“Because new players need to be able to catch up” is not a valid argument, because no one has a problem with any of the other currencies not doing that.

Any more arguments?

Yeah this i dont think i can remember any game where being a new comer to a game gave you the same benefits as a veteran. They should be rewarded for their time spent not limited just because other people didn’t want to play the same way. And its dailys we are talking about its not like its hard to finish them.

Work for a cause, not for applause.
Live life to express, not to impress.
Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

First, the government doesn’t come and take your hard earned money away from your bank. They ask for payment before your bank gets it. Only if you fail to pay, do you risk your bank assets being seized. To relate to the game: only if you fail to play, do you risk your assets being less. Oh, woe indeed.

Second, asking for achievement points to be taken away is more like the company you work for adding raise bonuses for years worked, then the new hire going “Hey, I just started, why does the ten-year vet make more? You should make it so we’re even.” Play more, get more.

Third, the amount of stuff I have has no effect on anyone else in game. So balance what, exactly? The only thing I see any issue with is the “WvW Rewards”, depending on the other costs (Badges and Blueprints), it could be construed as an unfair advantage. I’ll ignore the fact that the only people likely to chose this reward compared to the others would be the “hardcore” WvWers, and even they’ll be using their blueprint to WvW. I do see the Currencies and Account Reward possibly posing a problem for the economy. But all these aren’t balances to the achievement points earned, they’re balance changing to to economy as a whole. Anyone that plays the time can catch up, it just makes buying things a tad harder until they do. And such should be addressed as feedback on the rewards and not the points.

All-in-all, I’d say looking at https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/new-account-achievement-rewards-incoming/ makes me think that most of the “unlocks” will be limited purchases and not unlimited. I’d say you’d only be able to unlock each Account Bonus once and only the boosters repeatedly with your Achievement points acting as a limited currency. Therefore, without Daily/Monthly credit, one will find more pressure to grind out the more insane achievements (Kill Giants, WvW, etc). Then we’ll have even more complaints about the game becoming more of a grind and less of “play how you want”.

(edited by Pennry.9215)

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I disagree, dailys are where most of my points come from since I mainly play in open world, and I only have 3800.

I think they’re fine.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Achivement Points.

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Disagree with the OP.
Dailies and monthlies will allow the newer players to gain the points needed to get to those thresholds quite quickly. They might not catch up in ranking right away but they started the game a year later, what do they expect to have everything starting off?

Removing the AP from dailies and monthly is a terrible idea, also the vets that do the dailies/monthly every day will slowly burn out and that’s where the newer players can finally catch up.

The only relief a new player should get is the following:
All living story achievements should be added to fractals, so they can still be acquired by new players.

Any festival achievements on the other hand will be based on time of the year and the new players can get those when that time of the year rolls around.
That will be the most “fair” system, this will still give veterans something to brag about as their daily/monthly AP count will be far more unless they stop doing them and let others catch up.

Also one more quick point, some achievements like collecting 5 legendary weapons should definitely award more than just 5 AP.
A legendary weapon requires u to play through almost every aspect of the game and should grant significantly higher points – imo, around 20 or 50 AP per wep and if u collect all 5, it should give you additional 100 maybe even 250.
Some other harder AP should also award more than what they currently do.

(edited by ZilentNight.5089)

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Jackie.1829

Jackie.1829

I dont really care about people catching up or even my own AP, as I have never really given it thought or cared. But now that there is a reward and AP matters, I must ask, why exactly do I get the same number of achievement points for getting a legendary weapon as I do for doing the daily?

I am a player who does not do the dailies, I play 4-5h a day consistently since launch but I have never gone out of my way to complete a daily after I got the laurels and pre ascended gear I never did those daily achievements for a mystic coin.

I however have plenty of other actual “achievements” like r40 in spvp, top 100 leaderboard, over 75k wvw kills, a world first legendary rifle, 6 level 80s and all dungeon paths completed etc. Yet my AP score is incredibly low and if I need to “work” towards these skins simply because I didnt do dailies and the values are inflated to tailor to people with dailies im just going to /facepalm

Achievement points should be just that, an achievement. I have plenty of them but no achievement points to show for them. Bad system is bad.

In anycase I am sure somebody will call me elitist or that I think I “deserve” something. If that somehow makes you more comfortable with my post then be my guest, I am merely pointing out how the system is complete fail and no matter what you may think of me, you cannot refute that truth.

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net
GW1 Rank 1 – 2 Gold Capes – [sC] [sup]

(edited by Jackie.1829)

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

We don’t know how the AP reward system will be structured though. From their language, I’m inclined to think it will be similar to the HoM reward system where different rewards are unlocked at different tiers. If so, the physical rewards might be structured so all the “best” ones, such as permanent gold/karma account boosts, are unlocked at relatively low tiers (maybe 500 points), with higher tiers going mainly to cosmetic skins and/or titles.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

Where the hell this elitism comes from ?

Until before Anet announce this event: no-one care achievement leader-board (and I will never see it, the one I see is PvP leader-board). Looks like its due to we dont know how this will work. (buy with AP (seems not likely), using AP to unlock (maybe), using AP in each tab in achievement tab (maybe)).

There is no reason to cap daily and monthly achievement. The reason: Oh new player will never catch up due to this is not valid reason. Login and “do something” daily in the game shows achievement. Maybe this will have less meaning to “hardcore” players who can login everyday, but for a player which has a tons real life activities, login daily and have 1 – 3 hours is achievement. In addition of that, no-one force you to do 1, 5, all of dailies/monthly achievement which lead to: if player do something which is not forced to, they should get more.

One thing which need to be done to differentiate people with true achievement and only with dailies and monthly is TITLE. Give title to people who do JP (every JP has title or can be cumulative), explorer, killing thing, etc.

(edited by deviller.9135)